Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

All goon humor is references buried under enough layers

Which works out good for me because my only flailing attempts at humor are entirely referential. Just seen through a kaleidoscope of stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A friend of mine told me that everything is pastiche, which I had to google and probably spelt incorrectly but it kind of cracked my mind a bit to realise that any thought or idea we ever have has probably been had by someone, somewhere else already and probably done better.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Outrail posted:

A friend of mine told me that everything is pastiche, which I had to google and probably spelt incorrectly but it kind of cracked my mind a bit to realise that any thought or idea we ever have has probably been had by someone, somewhere else already and probably done better.

But by that same logic you are doing it better than somebody else, so don't be discouraged. Do the best you can, you may inspire somebody!

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's only a pastiche if it's consciously imitative.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Outrail posted:

yes, but it's combined with a billion other thoughts that you've unconsciously stolen from other people, and filtered through your own perfectly unique life experience and personality. so while everything is pastiche, every pastiche is unique

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

this broken hill posted:

yes, but it's combined with a billion other thoughts that you've unconsciously stolen from other people, and filtered through your own perfectly unique life experience and personality. so while everything is pastiche, every pastiche is unique

As someone way smarter than me once said, "Everything you see has been seen. Everything you do has been done. But it hasn't been seen with your eyes, and it hasn't been done with your hands."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Screaming Idiot posted:

But by that same logic you are doing it better than somebody else, so don't be discouraged. Do the best you can, you may inspire somebody!

Or to put in an actual quote:

Sir Isaac Newton posted:

If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
We're all born naked and the rest is drag?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:cloud:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Extremely accurate.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Indeed, as we all know Europeans are always referring to Europe as a bastion of 'liberalism'

e: they're several miles and gallons more liberal than the Americans

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
*cough* kilometers and liters

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

liberals are right wing

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

this broken hill posted:

This one works best if delivered through a continuous barf of ill-advisedly chugged galiano.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

American: "Our National Health Service is in a shambles, thanks to those Christian democrat clowns in parliament"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's amazing, watch it.

The first time I saw Heathers I was tripping balls. I watched it again the next day and was simply amazed at how much of the bizarre poo poo I remembered seeing was actually in the movie.

See it !

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

mllaneza posted:

The first time I saw Heathers I was tripping balls. I watched it again the next day and was simply amazed at how much of the bizarre poo poo I remembered seeing was actually in the movie.

See it !

I did this after watching Zardoz while super high and then watching it sober and realizing it’s actually a pretty good movie

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

My Lovely Horse posted:

Does anyone remember a short story post about some guy discovering a civilization of sentient mice in his basement? He kinda helps them along and keeps them secret from his wife at first, but then she discovers them on her own and is just as enchanted by it as he is? There's no huge twist to it or anything, they just live in that house for decades and become this mouse tribe's guardians cause for the mice it's several generations. I'm only about 80% sure this was an SA thing but I've been thinking about it forever.

I absolutely want to hear about this, I've never heard anything about it on SA tho.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

found it

https://forum.rpg.net/archive/index.php/t-681700.html

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

purple death ray posted:

Speaking of dead gay sons, anyone have the quote from that goon who left a message on his parents answering machine that opened with "Hello this is your human being son"?

yeah

Apps posted:

oh jesus jesus christ

so i just called my parents to say 'hi' and they weren't there, so i left a message on their answering machine. and i said "hello, this is your human being son" and then i realized what i said and hung up poo poo poo poo poo poo

jesus i need to stop reading ycs gently caress

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Context: Nine Inch Nails put out another album this week, and Trent Reznor is bad at naming things.

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Also holy poo poo, he's at 4 kids now? :quagmire:, Trent, :quagmire:

polyester concept posted:

Not that his kids are any of our business but a few pages back somebody pointed out how they've been given the most insufferable names ever:

quote:

They have four children: Lazarus Echo Reznor (born October 10, 2010)[138] and Balthazar Venn Reznor (born December 31, 2011),[139][140] a third son whose name has not been revealed (born November 1, 2015),[141] and daughter Nova Lux Reznor (born December 2016)

glam rock hamhock posted:

Man in suit: Hello, Mr Reznor. I'm from Child Protective services

Trent Reznor: Is there a problem

Man in suit: This might seem unusual but I have here an injunction that prevents you from naming your own children. This isn't something we usually do but it's come to our attention this is something you can no longer be trusted to do

Trent Reznor: Oh come on now, I'm not that bad at naming.

Random studio guy: Hey Trent, here's the final mix for song poo poo Mirror off your upcoming album Bad Witch

*Man in suit's eyes narrow as Trent Reznor starts sweating profusely*

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hey thread i just watched heathers because y'all were talking about it and it was terrible

i know it's 30 years old but it is about the dumbest most tone-deaf poo poo imaginable in 2018. the main plot is about teenagers murdering each other over minuscule slights and it is filled with great jokes about school shootings, suicide bombings, eating disorders, gay-bashing, mental illness, depression, gay suicide, date rape, and other hilarious subjects. the writing is awkward and the acting is stilted. in a world where gay people are just people and not inherently a joke, the "dead gay son" scene is heart-wrenching, not funny.

the only thing it was missing was some racism and maybe a bearded lady style transgendered person to make up the full set

do not watch

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sagebrush posted:

hey thread i just watched heathers because y'all were talking about it and it was terrible

i know it's 30 years old but it is about the dumbest most tone-deaf poo poo imaginable in 2018. the main plot is about teenagers murdering each other over minuscule slights and it is filled with great jokes about school shootings, suicide bombings, eating disorders, gay-bashing, gay suicide, date rape, and other hilarious subjects. the writing is awkward and the acting is stilted. in a world where gay people are just people and not inherently a joke, the "dead gay son" scene is heart-wrenching, not funny.

the only thing it was missing was some racism and maybe a bearded lady style transgendered person to make up the full set

do not watch

so what you're saying is you do not love his dead gay son

it is admittedly a movie that was much better served by its own context at the time than it is by 2018's context

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Stop ruining my childhood you insensitive jerk <:mad:>

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Caufman posted:

My excuse is that neither I nor my parents were born in the US.

We did get Terminator 2 in old country, though, so I felt prepared for my arrival here.

Come to think of it, we watched T2 that night as well as Heathers.

Heathers is definitely dated, the suggestion to watch a John Hughes movie first was good advice.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Heathers is great simply for giving us the Teenage Suicide song.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Sagebrush posted:

i know it's 30 years old but it is about the dumbest most tone-deaf poo poo imaginable in 2018. the main plot is about teenagers murdering each other over minuscule slights and it is filled with great jokes about school shootings, suicide bombings, eating disorders, gay-bashing, mental illness, depression, gay suicide, date rape, and other hilarious subjects. the writing is awkward and the acting is stilted. in a world where gay people are just people and not inherently a joke, the "dead gay son" scene is heart-wrenching, not funny.

do not watch

lmfao

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
*finger of "goon recommendation" monkey paw curls inwards*

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

One of my passions is trying to work out and then be able to smoothly apply a sequence of words that has probably never been assembled before. It's not that hard in English, although it's rare to find something as wonderful in the wild as the beloved "illegal party toilet".

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Do you read Achewood?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Sagebrush posted:

do not watch

A large portion of your complaints are, in fact, the point. It's a contrast to the standard 'films about high school' of the time. A lot of what you classify as 'jokes' aren't supposed to be funny, and Kid In Leather Jacket wasn't supposed to be a funny cool guy. The 'awkward' dialogue is primarily from J. D., who is basically a tryhard McCoolkid, and his dialogue is like that because it's mimicking other excessively structured dialogue of the teen movies of five years before. It's a deliberate deconstruction. "Man, if somebody really acted like that, they'd be loving insane."

You're making basically the exact opposite mistake of complaining about why this kid:

is poorly-designed. It's a fully intentional overstatement (although I think INTERNET kid's final design was still thought of as kind of cool by the designers, but that's entirely my personal interpretation)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I didn't read Sagebrush's post as showing that they'd missed the movie's whole drift, but it didn't occur to me that that could happen so I could totally be wrong.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Some films only work in very specific context of their genre, and if someone isn't familiar with the genre, it doesn't quite land. It's like how Neo Yokio is the greatest show on Earth but only for like 4 people.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm not sure i buy your thesis that the movie is deliberately poorly acted and full of jokes that aren't supposed to land. but even if that's true, like, okay, good for them? they made a movie that sucks, but intentionally? i don't think that's the case. the jokes like "we know this was a gay couple that killed each other because here is a bottle of mineral water" were clearly supposed to be directly funny, not mocking something from a john hughes film, but they're just stupid. maybe the concept of a kid bringing a revolver to school to shoot blanks in the jocks' faces was just a mischievous prank in 1988 but it's ghastly today.

it's like watching Ace Ventura again. in the climactic scene we find that the villain is a pre-op transgendered person and the idea is so revolting that all the police officers start immediately vomiting. ha ha. the world has changed, and so have the people in it, and sometimes that means that things you used to enjoy aren't what they used to be.

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 17:01 on Jun 23, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Do you read Achewood?

oh dang pick just poo poo the bed with the lights on

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Let's put the movie Heathers inside Ghost World and see what happens

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Pick posted:

Some films only work in very specific context of their genre, and if someone isn't familiar with the genre, it doesn't quite land. It's like how Neo Yokio is the greatest show on Earth but only for like 4 people.

What context is that? I don't understand that show at all. Is it tone-deaf or deeply self-aware? Is the casting good or awful? I cannot comprehend a universe that contains both Jaden Smith as an anime Archer without the basest understanding of what makes Archer work, and a creepy vaping police commissioner voiced by Steve Buscemi.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Things were different in the 80's than they are now.

Mind. Blown.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sagebrush posted:

i'm not sure i buy your thesis that the movie is deliberately poorly acted and full of jokes that aren't supposed to land. but even if that's true, like, okay, good for them? they made a movie that sucks, but intentionally? i don't think that's the case. the jokes like "we know this was a gay couple that killed each other because here is a bottle of mineral water" were clearly supposed to be directly funny, not mocking something from a john hughes film, but they're just stupid. maybe the concept of a kid bringing a revolver to school to shoot blanks in the jocks' faces was just a mischievous prank in 1988 but it's ghastly today.

it's like watching Ace Ventura again. in the climactic scene we find that the villain is a pre-op transgendered person and the idea is so revolting that all the police officers start immediately vomiting. ha ha. the world has changed, and so have the people in it, and sometimes that means that things you used to enjoy aren't what they used to be.

I know what you mean. I was watching DS9 recently and was very uncomfortable with Lwaxana Troi sexually harassing Odo. On the enterprise she was the councillor's mom so it wasn't quite as bad, but in the DS9 episode she's specifically there in her role as a top federation diplomat touring the station. She won't take a polite no for an answer, and he can't be rude because her official report could affect his position as security chief.

#Istandwithodo #metoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Shifty Nipples posted:

Things were different in the 80's than they are now.

Mind. Blown.

Can confirm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1U1Ue_5kq8