Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Lemon. Today, we live in the wealthiest nation in the history of the world but that reality means very little for most of us because almost all of that wealth is owned and controlled by a tiny handful of individuals. In America we now have more income and wealth inequality than any other major country on earth, and the gap between the very rich and everyone is wider than at any time since the 1920s. The issue of wealth and income inequality is the great moral issue of our time, it is the great economic issue of our time and it is the great political issue of our time. And we will address it.

Wet. Let me be very clear. There is something profoundly wrong when the top one-tenth of 1 percent owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent, and when 99 percent of all new income goes to the top 1 percent. There is something profoundly wrong when, in recent years, we have seen a proliferation of millionaires and billionaires at the same time as millions of Americans work longer hours for lower wages and we have the highest rate of childhood poverty of any major country on earth. There is something profoundly wrong when one family owns more wealth than the bottom 130 million Americans. This grotesque level of inequality is immoral. It is bad economics. It is unsustainable. This type of rigged economy is not what America is supposed to be about. This has got to change and, as your president, together we will change it.

Good. But it is not just income and wealth inequality. It is the tragic reality that for the last 40 years the great middle class of our country – once the envy of the world – has been disappearing. Despite exploding technology and increased worker productivity, median family income is almost $5,000 less than it was in 1999. In Vermont and throughout this country it is not uncommon for people to be working two or three jobs just to cobble together enough income to survive on and some health care benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Might've been more popular if the sign said "Pints for Free(dom)"

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pints for Puberty?

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Is Paul's entire campaign trying to appeal to trendy hipster/internet types? He comes off as a dad desperate to be hip.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Faustian Bargain posted:

Is Paul's entire campaign trying to appeal to trendy hipster/internet types? He comes off as a dad desperate to be hip.

His campaign is trying to appeal to conspiracy theorist fans of his dad, while actually being Ted Cruz in disguise

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

He did not actually say that. I don't know if you're deliberately misconstruing it or if you're being tripped up by the ambiguity between generalized indefinite article noun phrases and specific or hypothetical indefinite article noun phrases ("a dog has four legs" = all dogs, "a dog is in my yard" = some particular dog). He is asking the reader to think of a hypothetical man and woman having these thoughts, and while that's unclear at first, it gets pretty obvious as you keep reading.

Did you miss the entire second column? He's clearly talking about many - if not all, it's not clear - men and women and how they respond to our patriarchal culture. It's not about two hypothetical people; the man and woman he mentions are a hypothetical illustrative example, but the article's about men and women who live in this culture and how they, as groups, respond.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Mo_Steel posted:

I will forever prefer:

:suspense: Well then. That's.... amazing.

this set of posts needs to go on Tumblr.

Just.... perfect

(disappointing that vBulletin doesn't allow 2-level comment nesting)

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Faustian Bargain posted:

It's a significant focus. Paul has often said the GOP needs to put more effort into attracting younger support as the old guard dies off. It's probably not going to help him very much.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

A3th3r posted:

this set of posts needs to go on Tumblr.

Just.... perfect

(disappointing that vBulletin doesn't allow 2-level comment nesting)

It allows it but you have to do it manually with copy+paste. We used to have it enabled here by default but then the larger threads would be full of posts that were literally dozens of quotes nested and the whole thing was unreadable.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mo_Steel posted:

I will forever prefer:

:suspense: Well then. That's.... amazing.

Nu uh, best version was Colbert.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll never forget smoking guy.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Sharkie posted:

Did you miss the entire second column? He's clearly talking about many - if not all, it's not clear - men and women and how they respond to our patriarchal culture. It's not about two hypothetical people; the man and woman he mentions are a hypothetical illustrative example, but the article's about men and women who live in this culture and how they, as groups, respond.

That's not the same as all or every, or stating a characteristic in general, as in "A dog is a mammal." That's the sense some people were taking it (or claiming to take it), and that's clearly not what's happening in the actual syntax and semantics of those sentences. Yes, in the larger scope he is talking about many, as a cultural phenomenon, and using exemplars to do so, but in terms of the compositional semantics of the sentences themselves, he's making use of the specific form ("A dog is in my yard."), not the general, categorical form.

To be clear, I'm talking about a specific and deliberate misinterpretation that people like TDD are making, of specific sentences.

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 30, 2015

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Faustian Bargain posted:

Young males and libertarian types are definitely his target niche for the primary.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

TheDisreputableDog posted:

(quoting self & being pointlessly inflammatory)

gently caress off.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kobayashi posted:

By now he's probably become a vapist.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Joementum posted:

Lemon. Today, we live in the wealthiest nation in the history of the world but that reality means very little for most of us because almost all of that wealth is owned and controlled by a tiny handful of individuals. In America we now have more income and wealth inequality than any other major country on earth, and the gap between the very rich and everyone is wider than at any time since the 1920s. The issue of wealth and income inequality is the great moral issue of our time, it is the great economic issue of our time and it is the great political issue of our time. And we will address it.

Wet. Let me be very clear. There is something profoundly wrong when the top one-tenth of 1 percent owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent, and when 99 percent of all new income goes to the top 1 percent. There is something profoundly wrong when, in recent years, we have seen a proliferation of millionaires and billionaires at the same time as millions of Americans work longer hours for lower wages and we have the highest rate of childhood poverty of any major country on earth. There is something profoundly wrong when one family owns more wealth than the bottom 130 million Americans. This grotesque level of inequality is immoral. It is bad economics. It is unsustainable. This type of rigged economy is not what America is supposed to be about. This has got to change and, as your president, together we will change it.

Good. But it is not just income and wealth inequality. It is the tragic reality that for the last 40 years the great middle class of our country – once the envy of the world – has been disappearing. Despite exploding technology and increased worker productivity, median family income is almost $5,000 less than it was in 1999. In Vermont and throughout this country it is not uncommon for people to be working two or three jobs just to cobble together enough income to survive on and some health care benefits.

I can't let this slip past while unloved.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hollismason posted:

What's the story behind this image I can't ever remember.

He was ecstatic about Benghazi happening during the election and felt it just won him the presidency. Any time some idiot claims Mitt Romney isn't a sociopath just show them this photo.

Mo_Steel posted:

I will forever prefer:

Mike Tyson's not aging very gracefully, is he?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kobayashi posted:

Who was Cain's actual campaign manager, and came up with that ad

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

HIs job was to be punched in the head by giants for several years. I did that as an amateur for awhile and believe it, it shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

FlamingLiberal posted:

Who was Cain's actual campaign manager, and came up with that ad

I'm pretty sure you're looking at him.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It beggars belief that the Cain campaign was actually managed, or rather that the true manager was not an avant-garde performance artist using Smoking Man as a public face.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Evil Fluffy posted:

He was ecstatic about Benghazi happening during the election and felt it just won him the presidency. Any time some idiot claims Mitt Romney isn't a sociopath just show them this photo.

He's 48 years old. He got punched in the head daily for the majority of his life. He had drug and alcohol issues.

He's a complicated guy that I love and hate for a variety of reasons, but gently caress no, he looks great.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
As soon as Rand wins a state like NH, he's going to share an itshappening.gif.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Starting to see some clues come in as to what O'Malley will announce at 10am today.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Are you kidding me? Look at a recent youtube vid of him, he looks fantastic. The bastard.

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I won't argue that Mitts not a sociopath, but I think people misinterpret that smile as one of self satisfaction. If you remember, that press conference was a clusterfuck because a bunch of reporters starting calling him out for political opportunism, at which point he turned around and started walking off stage, which is when that picture was taking. To me, that smile always looked like that type corporate execs paste on their faces when they are hearing things they don't want to hear, or things don't go their way, but they still want to project a veneer of confidence.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This could be another clue:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Starting to see some clues come in as to what O'Malley will announce at 10am today.

Joementum posted:

Boy will you have egg on your face when it's for President of his Book Club. :colbert:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Joementum posted:

is he running for President of A Stylized Map of Connecticut?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Joementum posted:

Carcetti 2016: Sure, Why Not

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

______ 2016: If Everyone Else Jumped Off A Bridge, Wouldn't You?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm eagerly awaiting to see Aiden Gillen in his Littlefinger costume in an attack ad.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Skeevy Mcgee posted:

I won't argue that Mitts not a sociopath, but I think people misinterpret that smile as one of self satisfaction. If you remember, that press conference was a clusterfuck because a bunch of reporters starting calling him out for political opportunism, at which point he turned around and started walking off stage, which is when that picture was taking. To me, that smile always looked like that type corporate execs paste on their faces when they are hearing things they don't want to hear, or things don't go their way, but they still want to project a veneer of confidence.

Still tasteless as gently caress. Although I agree withyou.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008
Did we already talk Yoko lesbian affair with Hillary ITT?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rand Paul, hes a good lad who just wants a pint and a laff.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I don't know, man, Rand seems like the kind of guy I could sit and have a Pabst Blue Ribbon with.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The O'nnouncement video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFpPh9QB2qg

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

"This is America. We don't chlorinate..."

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES