Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Moltrey posted:

im sorry yukari took the death of her crush and failing to save his life when she might have had the chance to save him too hard for you

It's less her taking the death of crush hard (I usually had a party of mitsuru akihiko/dog, ken, so I never even used her :colbert: )
it's her deciding she selfishly felt it more than everyone else.

They all took the death of someone who more or less became their leader hard lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ROFL Octopus posted:

A common complaint around here is that the group texts, cool as they are, are too frequent. If people get frustrated by main characters interrupting things constantly, I don't think they'd like hearing from complete non-entities too.

Like I said, I'm not asking for a big, drawn out conversation or anything. Just like a line or two from Sojiro once a month when I get home in the evening from doing [whatever] about Joker's parents checking in on him to show that they actually give a poo poo about their son's well-being.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
pretend i posted the textbox of goro saying "It feels hosed up that we just smash the shadows with our car going like 40 mph"

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Like the answer and hates Haru. We found the person with the most broken brain.

I feel like Hifumi would have been better than haru.

She feels super tacked on and was added to late and felt like fuka red head edition.

I never felt even slightly curious about her and her lead up was poorly done.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 11, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

SectumSempra posted:

One part of the painting gets healed on physical, without a strong magic user it will make getting rid of all facial parts harder.

Two of the paintings get healed by Fire/Ice/Elec/Wind and one gets healed by Nuke/Psy/Bless/Curse. These three are the ones that heal and revive the others. The Mouth gets healed by Phys/Gun, sure, but it's also the least threatening one because it doesn't explicitly target weaknesses (unlike the Eyes) not does it have a powerful multi-target attack (unlike the Nose). This really isn't difficult or complex. Ryuji/Ann/Yusuke does everything you need for that fight without issue. Maybe swap Ann out for Morgana if you really want a healer that you don't need; Morgana's a "safe" pick because the paintings don't have an Elec attack but he's more of a liability because he's made of paper and will need to spend more time healing in the fight that's a test of resource management in a damage race.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

SectumSempra posted:

It's less her taking the death of crush hard (I usually had a party of mitsuru akihiko/dog, ken, so I never even used her :colbert: )
it's her deciding she selfishly felt it more than everyone else.

They all took the death of someone who more or less became their leader hard lol.
dealing with loss and grief at 17 is very hard. more so when it's the person you first feel romantic love towards.

yukari isn't perfect but this is a weak cross to nail her to

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Moltrey posted:

dealing with loss and grief at 17 is very hard. more so when it's the person you first feel romantic love towards.

yukari isn't perfect but this is a weak cross to nail her too

I'm not nailing her to any cross.

They were all the same age give or take a year (more in kens case) and i understand humans can react to grief in multitudes of ways.
Just like each of the characters reacted to the MC's death in different ways in the answer.

It's part me adding silly banter and still saying it's worth playing.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

SectumSempra posted:

I'm not nailing her to any cross.

They were all the same age, and i understand humans can react to grief in multitudes of ways.
Just like each of the characters reacted to the MC's death in different ways in the answer.

It's part me adding silly banter and still saying it's worth playing.

:shrug: Most of the party wasn't boning the MC.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Supremezero posted:

:shrug: Most of the party wasn't boning the MC.

I dated mitsuru as opposed to yukari. :shrug:

I know people really liked her a lot. like A LOT.

But yeah you had options in the game.
They all sought solace and looked to have him in their future.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 11, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also Yusuke actually beats Ryuji on paper since Yusuke actually has the highest Strength score (Ryuji is slightly behind). Ryuji does have more HP and Endurance so he can take hits better, and the variance on Rampage/Swift Strike/Agneyestra can make him seem much stronger than his average numbers.

Of course that all goes out the window once Ryuji gets Matarukaja and Charge, but it's not like Yusuke is that far behind Ryuji for most of the game.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SectumSempra posted:

I dated mitsuru as opposed to yukari. :shrug:

I know people really liked her a lot. like A LOT.

But yeah you had options in the game.

If you levelled her S Link, you were dating her.

You dated all of the age appropriate women S. Links in 3.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If you levelled her S Link, you were dating her.

You dated all of the age appropriate women S. Links in 3.

I mean i get this, but then again this doesn't invalidate my point.

Technically then he was boning all the girls in the party. :shrug:

I'll fully admit though I never finished her link besides as FemC.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also Yusuke actually beats Ryuji on paper since Yusuke actually has the highest Strength score (Ryuji is slightly behind). Ryuji does have more HP and Endurance so he can take hits better, and the variance on Rampage/Swift Strike/Agneyestra can make him seem much stronger than his average numbers.

Of course that all goes out the window once Ryuji gets Matarukaja and Charge, but it's not like Yusuke is that far behind Ryuji for most of the game.

Imo, from the time you get Yusuke to the just before the tail of the game when Ryuji and Ann ascend to godhood, having Yusuke and Ryuji both at once is incredibly viable, because they'll both be dishing out the highest non-Joker damage in the party.

Also I found Yusuke to be the best pick for the bonus bosses since Yoshitsune needs (ma)sukukaja more than anything else, and it's best to limit the amount of weaknesses you have on the field.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

For most of the game it was Yusuke/Makoto/Ryuji until the final dungeons because all the bosses were cheap had summons along with 5.6k HP. Final battle ended up being the same basic intro team of Mona (healer)/Ann/Ryuji because they had the best charge up skills with Joker on Guard occasionally because it's dumb when I only die compared to no one else.

FWIW: Yusuke ended up falling behind when I realized he didn't have a charge up skill at the final levels along with Makoto. Also, lol how we can't use Heat Riser during bosses.

Ann's thief outfit is still bad and it's why I didn't use her for 80% of the dungeons until I got alt outfits.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

My main party throughout the game was Joker/Ryuji/Makoto and the 4th member switching all the time since I loved everyone and wanted to use them all. Had Morgana for most of the final dungeon though so i'd have two different characters with Mediarhan in case somehow everything went incredibly wrong.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

I mainly stuck with the original team because ann's rakunda is the most useful buff you get, heals and ryuji either buffing or just multi hitting and critting things.

haru I used very little, even though she does get the clutch late game heat riser, you kinda can get it first unfortunately.

The one I was most mixed on had to be makoto. I like her and she was nice but most physical skills that aren't multi hit felt and below colossal/severe pretty lacking, (aside from Morgana's Luck Punch type skills because those critical can make or break fights pretty easy and make treasure persona hunting kinda less of a guessing game besides the null ones.)
Her nuclear abilities also didn't hit weaknesses too often. But she's a great person if you have aoe trouble due to Rakukaja + Group heals.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Ryuji/Makoto basically never left the party and the last slot swapped between Ann and Haru fairly regularly once I got Haru. Makoto as a healer/consistent damage dealer, Ryuji for that sweet Marutarukaja and eventually charge shenanigens and Ann/Haru as damage/utility.

I don't think I used Yusuke or Morgana at all once I picked up Makoto.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Makoto is super reliable because not many things resist or absorb nuke and she's like 2nd best at magic in the group and a lot tankier than Ann. Also having both Marakukaja, and Mediarahan is very very nice

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I was super close to dropping Ann during the runup to the fourth palace because of how incredibly grating 'You're so gorgous Panther' was. It was playing every single fight since I was having Ann finish things off as the slowest party member and it was driving me up the wall.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Makoto never left my party once she joined.

I used everyone else at least once in a while. Yusuke and Morgana are useful in Palace 4 to hit weaknesses and because Makoto probably hasn't learned Mediarama yet by the time you get to the boss. In Palace 5, magic damage is really rewarded, so Morgana and Ann did some work there. I used Morgana again for the Palace 7 boss because he had Mediarahan and Makoto didn't yet.

Ryuji and Ann are just too drat good not to use in the endgame, and Makoto ended up being more generally useful than Morgana thanks to Marakukaja and much higher HP.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Harrow posted:

Makoto never left my party once she joined.

I did the same thing. She's imminently reliable and has a decently-wide skillset so she's never without something meaningful to do.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Makoto is probably the best support unit in the game; she's fantastic at making sure the party stays alive between party heals and Marakukaja, Nuclear is a rare resistance and her damage output is really good and is only really outclassed when Concentrate enters the picture.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Ann and Makoto never left my party for me. Ryuji was instantly bounced for Yusuke who was instantly bounced for Goro and I tag in whoever was needed,

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Makoto is probably the best support unit in the game; she's fantastic at making sure the party stays alive between party heals and Marakukaja, Nuclear is a rare resistance and her damage output is really good and is only really outclassed when Concentrate enters the picture.

And if you get her super gun she gets higher magic than Ann and also gets a severe spell with a higher dingle target damage multiplier which lets her do a poo poo ton of damage even without it.

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 11, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I didn't grind enough for anyone to get their best skills but it didn't matter because the game is over once Ryuji and Ann get Charge and Concentrate

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zore posted:

And if you get her super gun she gets higher magic than Ann and also gets a severe spell with a higher dingle target damage multiplier which lets her do a poo poo ton of damage even without it.

Are stat increases random for your party members? Because even with the +10 all stats gun on Makoto, Ann had 8 more magic.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I used everybody.

Switched up depending on Shadow team composition.

I am also salty that the game didn't give me a light / dark user for the entire game. I guess that's technically Joker's forte, but still.

I is salty

Super Salty

:(

How dare the game not give me bless / curse skills

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I am sad you can't get 3x EXP if you're Joker and soloing dungeons but I guess that's what Safety mode is for next time.

Alder fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 11, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Are stat increases random for your party members? Because even with the +10 all stats gun on Makoto, Ann had 8 more magic.

Magic is Ann's best stat in which she outclasses everybody.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think they're randomized to an extent, but it's more subtle than, say, fire emblem growth rates. We'd have to compare party members at equivalent levels to know how much for sure.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Dragonatrix posted:

Rampage is 1-3 hits, so sure. Except it's 1-3 Weak hits. It needs to roll max to be roughly equal in practice; the only reason it seems better is because Ryuji is a better Strengthman than Yusuke is.

It's not like Swift Strike vs Deathbound where they're functionally identical but Deathbound just wins due to consistency. Vicious Strike is just straight up better all things being equal.

Yusuke actually has slightly higher strength than Ryuji. Either that or their stat growths in that area are identical and I just ended up with Yusuke 8~ points ahead by the end of the game by really weird RNG.

Swift Strike is miles better than Deathbound, yo. It's more consistent damage than even Agneyastra.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Instant Grat posted:

Yusuke actually has slightly higher strength than Ryuji. Either that or their stat growths in that area are identical and I just ended up with Yusuke 8~ points ahead by the end of the game by really weird RNG.

No Yusuke definitely has better strength, but Ryuji does get better single-target attacks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FYI there's a spoiler thread if you want to post stuff in more detail unmarked: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817536

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

ROFL Octopus posted:

No Yusuke definitely has better strength, but Ryuji does get better single-target attacks.

Aren't Brave Blade and God's Hand basically identical? I know there's probably some slight difference, but their descriptions both just say "colossal damage". Someone should put both of them on the same Persona and check the damage output.

EDIT: Okay, clearly God's Hand is miles better. I loaded up an endgame save, and with the same buffs applied against the same enemy, Yusuke did 681 damage with Brave Blade against 820 from Ryuji's God Hand, even with Yusuke being 5 points ahead in Strength.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 11, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I've heard that Brave Blade has a higher crit rate and a bit lower HP cost (24% of HP rather than God's Hand's 25%), but the difference is so miniscule that God's Hand wins out every time.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Persona and SMT in general is really bad at actually explaining how strong attacks are. Things with the same descriptor (weak, medium, heavy, mega, etc) can have massively different power numbers for seemingly no reason at all.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Saagonsa posted:

Persona and SMT in general is really bad at actually explaining how strong attacks are. Things with the same descriptor (weak, medium, heavy, mega, etc) can have massively different power numbers for seemingly no reason at all.

Sometimes they get weird, too. Like in Persona 4 - Primal Force is more damaging than God's Hand, has the same accuracy, and has a higher chance of landing a critical hit. It's literally superior in every way. And yet, God's Hand is the more expensive of the two to use (22% HP vs 20%).

In the same game, Blade of Fury hits 2-4 times for 18% HP, and (all other things being equal) each hit will do half as much damage as a single casting of Vorpal Blade, which only ever hits once. But Vorpal Blade costs 25% HP and has worse accuracy :psyduck:

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 11, 2017

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

going through p2 again and noticing that there's a fun amount of p5 parallels there

like how in P2-1 your group is trying to stop a masked high school student named Joker from stealing peoples' desires :v:

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

For real though, while Makoto is still my number 1 girl, Haru won her way to number 2 very handily with her sweet and charming personality while also secretly murdering all the other girls on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

ROFL Octopus posted:

A common complaint around here is that the group texts, cool as they are, are too frequent. If people get frustrated by main characters interrupting things constantly, I don't think they'd like hearing from complete non-entities too.
Yeah, the group texts are a cool concept, but between palaces you'll get group chats every day that don't add to the story or create character growth. A lot of them are basically:

"I'm worried about X."
"Me too."
"Well, all we can do is wait."
"I guess so."
"Let's act normal for now."
"Okay!"

I'm into late October now, and I found a fun quirk with Mementos. If you get a new lead on a target but haven't met with the group to discuss it yet, you get completely locked out of Mementos while Haru is away from the group, even though you can meet with the rest of the team. I guess because "all targets have to be agreed on unanimously". I wish I'd known.