Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
scathach can't 100-0 a tank unless they have like 11 vuln stacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Or because they don't know they can dodge her tank buster followup.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Reiterpallasch posted:

scathach can't 100-0 a tank unless they have like 11 vuln stacks

You say that but then it happened. And then it happened again. And then it happened yet again. Just like clockwork. Add came out, people ran about to deal with it, tank died, scathach carved up the raid. WAR tank in deliverance with ~24k hp, had maybe a single vuln stack once. Died to her tank buster from full health before the followup.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Dukka posted:

you get enough mp from a nq max-ether to do another flare, don't forget that!

How much are NQ max-ethers? I'm considering taking a stack of them into raids to save me if I gently caress up and only wind up with 300 MP after a B3 or something.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

EponymousMrYar posted:

You say that but then it happened. And then it happened again. And then it happened yet again. Just like clockwork. Add came out, people ran about to deal with it, tank died, scathach carved up the raid. WAR tank in deliverance with ~24k hp, had maybe a single vuln stack once. Died to her tank buster from full health before the followup.

Never happened to me but then again I was a good tank.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
A lot of times those "i had vengeance up" people actually pressed it too late so it wasn't up when the boss hit. There were plenty of cooldowns to use, but you had to actually use them in time.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

vOv posted:

How much are NQ max-ethers? I'm considering taking a stack of them into raids to save me if I gently caress up and only wind up with 300 MP after a B3 or something.

600-ish gil. Wait another eight or so hours, the price will come down a bit more because it's the weekend and supply will flood the market.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

A lot of times those "i had vengeance up" people actually pressed it too late so it wasn't up when the boss hit. There were plenty of cooldowns to use, but you had to actually use them in time.

That brief delay between when you activate a skill and when the server acknowledges that you activated it has killed many, many people. See also: "I totally hit Benediction in time!"

For any newbies in the thread, always try to hit your Oh poo poo button about 1.5 to 2 seconds before it hits the fan whenever possible for exactly this reason, or you may see cool particle effects floating above a sad corpse.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Thundarr posted:

That brief delay between when you activate a skill and when the server acknowledges that you activated it has killed many, many people. See also: "I totally hit Benediction in time!"

For any newbies in the thread, always try to hit your Oh poo poo button about 1.5 to 2 seconds before it hits the fan whenever possible for exactly this reason, or you may see cool particle effects floating above a sad corpse.

The worst is that your oh-gently caress skill still goes on cooldown. I've honestly wondered if maybe they should just make Benediction not able to self-target but I could see that loving people over too.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

vOv posted:

Assuming you've Gittern Gud your potion will be on cooldown from an infusion anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

vOv posted:

The worst is that your oh-gently caress skill still goes on cooldown. I've honestly wondered if maybe they should just make Benediction not able to self-target but I could see that loving people over too.

I self target with it in Temple of the Fist if the boss targets me with the single-digit hp move. That's about it though

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

wow you get people that fully type out hellos? I just get lots of o/ o7 or whatever that I had to lookup what those even were.

It's better this way. Most of the time in DF ppl are either completely having meltdowns over my newbie DRK or sprouts ignoring me on AST when I'm telling them not to tank the Clams on Satasha and just gather all the fire spirits so they will stop hitting everyone.

Thundarr posted:

Tbf it wasn't always like this and we've all had to adjust accordingly on the east coast once they moved data centers to CA. Also, it's why I no longer play NIN.

Alder fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 18, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Bleu posted:

Assuming you've Gittern Gud your potion will be on cooldown from an infusion anyway.

Potions are expensive and I don't need the DPS help, especially on O1S/O2S since we've got those on farm.

vOv fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 18, 2017

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

As a career AST, tanks dropping out of their defensive stance in dungeons is cool and good once they've established a solid aggro lead and can be kept alive with or without reasonable use of cooldowns. I don't mind if I have to use Largesse, Lightspeed, or whatever on a pull, but they have cooldown times on them, and eventually I'm going to run out of MP if I'm spamming Benefic II and Aspected just to keep the tank up.

And yeah, if you're having trouble with the first two parts of tanking (holding aggro and not dying), please don't stance dance. I had a DRK tank in Gubal a few days ago who had ~i125 gear, mostly NQ, and at least for the first part of the dungeon, they kept trying to overpull and drop Grit right after their first Unleash. The end result is that the RDM kept ripping aggro, and the tank (and subsequently everyone else) kept dying as soon as I ran out of Essential Dignity and bigger-heal buttons.

This is basically the point I was originally trying to make, but better said. Drop stance when it works to do so because more deeps is awesome, but be aware that there are times when stance is the smarter option. It mostly involves adapting to whatever individual group you happen to get at the time.

Same is true to the concept of pulling big - as a general rule it's something you should absolutely go for, but there are times when it ranges from an iffy to a goddamn stupid idea (see quoted anecdote above), and it's a valuable skill to be able to make the distinction between "usually/ideally" and "always".

If of course, you're in the enviable circumstance of always having super competent people on call to run poo poo with, and you never have randoms that you need to adapt to, then that's another matter entirely. But while it's not quite apples and oranges, it's definitely worth bearing in mind that it's a circumstance that allows for more practice at personal and team optimization and less practice at random-pug adaptation, and the reverse is true for someone who pugs almost everything.

If I wanted advice on how to min/max my rotation in a vacuum or with a given raid comp, I'd ask a person in a raid static. If I wanted advice on what sorts of bullshit to watch out for with pugs and what sorts of things are still safe to assume even when pugging, I'd ask a person who pugs everything solo. That's not to say that the other one has no useful opinions to offer, but I'm gonna listen more to the person with more of the relevant experience.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

You're getting really upset about people playing the game in a way you don't like.

Gee sure don't know why people keep calling you a lovely poster.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rhymenoserous posted:

Gee sure don't know why people keep calling you a lovely poster.

Fister is right though

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Fister is right though

Oh I know, it's just his use of that phrase is entertaining when he was whining about someone not liking something the exact same way he did a few months ago.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the truth is, in this case, not really in the middle

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
with randoms i'll generally dps stance long enough to do a fell cleave or decimate burst window, because i don't really want to rely on randoms to manage their enmity or heal me out of tank stance. if the healer is good i'll eventually transition to sitting in dps stance the entire time. this is the correct position to hold

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Vil posted:

If I wanted advice on what sorts of bullshit to watch out for with pugs and what sorts of things are still safe to assume even when pugging, I'd ask a person who pugs everything solo. That's not to say that the other one has no useful opinions to offer, but I'm gonna listen more to the person with more of the relevant experience.

I pug everything solo and my life is endless suffering on DRK/AST/BLM/RDM. Yes, I've asked TPT but I like having the ability to just play at any reasonable time so I will deal w/ppl who just keep doing the worst thing over and over from lvl 15-70. I don't even use ACT :ghost:

Protip: Never overestimate DF/PF players. They will always disappoint you sooner or later.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Alder posted:

I pug everything solo and my life is endless suffering on DRK/AST/BLM/RDM. Yes, I've asked TPT but I like having the ability to just play at any reasonable time so I will deal w/ppl who just keep doing the worst thing over and over from lvl 15-70. I don't even use ACT :ghost:

Protip: Never overestimate DF/PF players. They will always disappoint you sooner or later.

Oh, you gotta get ACT just for moments like this.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Thundarr posted:

Its great to slam on hallowed ground, still end up dying and then the skill goes on cooldown.

A great way to see the "press button ,server acknowledges it 2 seconds later" in action is to be an ast and use collective unconscious. That one is really aggravating when I pop it on stack ups and the reduced damage buff (and regen but w/e) gets applied after the hit despite the bubble appearing well beforehand.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

it's cool how this dungeon would have taken them like 40 minutes if they had an honest healer

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Die Sexmonster! posted:

WHM has always been the Holy Mage :sigh:

I expected MNK to do a bit better since it's their main reason for existing but nowadays it's all about SAM. Also, as much as I love BLM it still stressful compared to RDM and if I haven't memorized the maps/bosses/mechanics or returned from a hiatus.

I'm a reactionary AST so my overall exp is limited. I do DPS using DoT/Malefic but I'd rather just deal w/the cards than having to predict the next tank buster.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

Oh I know, it's just his use of that phrase is entertaining when he was whining about someone not liking something the exact same way he did a few months ago.

You're gonna have to refresh my memory on this one, since you apparently remember more about my posting than I do.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I'm just glad I've got enough self-awareness that if someone mentioned something that I didn't remember doing but seemed within the bounds of something I'd do, that I'd just go "yup, don't remember that but it sounds like something I'd do". Or alternatively "huh, doesn't sound like me but guess it could have happened".

Got better poo poo to do than be litigious about internet arguments.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

Unfortunately it's a huge dps loss and you can't even use it for a pull unless you have some wrath saved from the previous pull.

Use Onslaught in raid in your opener, tia.

In fact, use it twice, tiax2.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
how competitive is the crafted 320 right side for tanks? you leave 2 strength on the table but i like to imagine that gets made up in substats if you pentameld?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how competitive is the crafted 320 right side for tanks? you leave 2 strength on the table but i like to imagine that gets made up in substats if you pentameld?

Pentamelded 320 right side (STR in the normal slot, DH in the overmelds) is BiS for all tanks.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

vOv posted:

I really wish self target didn't activate in general when your target is dead. Happens fairly often when I actually heal in FL. I'm running to someone slightly out of range slamming the lustrate button, they die and I lustrate myself.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Use Onslaught in raid in your opener, tia.

In fact, use it twice, tiax2.

What's the reasoning behind that? I was under the impression that it was basically the worst way to spend your IB.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it generates a lot of enmity. like, a lot.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's cool as heck

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Pentamelded 320 right side (STR in the normal slot, DH in the overmelds) is BiS for all tanks.

Pentamelded <whatever the highest ilevel crafted available> is going to be BIS for tank right sides all expansion long, probably. You just get way too little strength to make up for losing 76 Direct Hit.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Oh cool I completely missed that line in the tooltip.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i can't tell if that's facetious or not, but my 100 IB opener is something like tomahawk-onslaught-overpower-equilibrium-heavy swing-thrill of battle-upheaval-skull sunder-butcher's block. this puts you at 80 inner beast, 100 after getting your storm's eye buff up, and a huge enough enmity lead that if your dps come close to taking it it's because they're trying to.

in 8-mans, i'll just use a butcher's block combo - onslaught at the fight's start to have more enmity to shirk over. i don't really think it's necessary, but it's not like more enmity is a bad thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nah I genuinely didn't know it did extra threat, thanks for letting me know :hfive:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Alder posted:

I expected MNK to do a bit better since it's their main reason for existing but nowadays it's all about SAM.

MNK can absolutely still kick rear end these days, that guy was just bad. I don't have one in my static, so I haven't collected figures or anything, but poke around FF Logs. I'm sure they're keeping up.

I'd like to hear from Monks actually, what's gameplay like at 70 compared to 3.5?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

The tank ranged abilities generating a crapload of enmity is actually a fairly recent change, so it's not surprising that not many people know about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Die Sexmonster! posted:

MNK can absolutely still kick rear end these days, that guy was just bad. I don't have one in my static, so I haven't collected figures or anything, but poke around FF Logs. I'm sure they're keeping up.

I'd like to hear from Monks actually, what's gameplay like at 70 compared to 3.5?

Basically unchanged. No new attacks, a bfb replacement, and a physical buff for the party.