Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Everyone who's going to play Undertale has already. Nintendos late to the party once again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Austrian mook posted:

Everyone who's going to play Undertale has already. Nintendos late to the party once again

Lots of folks said the same thing about Minecraft, and hasn't it sold quite well on the Wii U?

Speaking for myself, I'd buy Undertale again.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's final upgrade is a 100 shell magazine, which will carry you through some of the harder difficulties because upgrading ammo capacity fills your magazine to the max.

That's the Striker actually :eng101: Which also takes up less inventory space.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

C-Euro posted:

That's the Striker actually :eng101: Which also takes up less inventory space.

Oh, :rip:, you're right. I completely forgot there's a 1014 in the game in addition to the Striker/Ithaca.

The 1014 does have one advantage, which is that it has crazy range for a shotgun due to the tighter spread, but that's about it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's good when its upgraded but I prefer the normal shotgun. I kinda like that some weapons not as good. It's fun to mess around crappy stuff like the TMP after you're playing the game for the 3rd or 4th time.

I used the TMP the whole game, I didn't realize it was lackluster

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Silver Falcon posted:

Lots of folks said the same thing about Minecraft, and hasn't it sold quite well on the Wii U?

Yeah I would deffo want to play a version of Undertale where you can control your Soul with the gamepad's stylus during combat. It would make some of the bullet hells a little easier. And, since we live in the universe where Binding Of Issac came out on Nintendo platforms, we don't even have to worry about getting some of the more hosed up stuff/the entire no-mercy run removed from the game :v:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

In Training posted:

I used the TMP the whole game, I didn't realize it was lackluster

Me too. Great for the mine cart and truck sequences if you don't care about accuracy rating. I also used it a lot to beat Krauser, you shoot him in the knees with it till he drops, then switch to a magnum to pop him in the face.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ometeotl posted:

Hahaha, what? The Move required a camera tracking a glowing ball. It was laggier than Wiimotes because of that.

I never had this problem, especially when playing a game I needed speedy tracking on (Okami).

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

irlZaphod posted:

If you were moving the Wiimote up so that you could slide downwards then you're playing Skyward Sword wrong, hth

You've proven my point. Movement with the Wii Remote does not directly translate to how it behaves in-game. I can't swing the sword to make Link swing the sword. I have to perform stupid little movements that translate to full-body arcs and thrusts. It's not 1:1 and ends up just feeling chintzy. Well, to me, anyway. If you like that, then that's great... more selection of games for you to enjoy.

But to anyone who says Move is laggier than a Wii Remote... well, you've either not used both, or you're laughably self-blinded. Also, the Move does not require the camera—not for all games, anyway. It's more to differentiate players than to track action. Nearly all of the movement tracking occurs within the handheld (similar to how your cell phone recognizes yaw, pitch, and roll). And it's extremely tight.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, speaking of motion controls, word on the street is that Miyamoto is enforcing Platinum to design SF0 entirely around it. It's gonna be a trainwreck if true.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

MisterAlex posted:

You've proven my point. Movement with the Wii Remote does not directly translate to how it behaves in-game. I can't swing the sword to make Link swing the sword. I have to perform stupid little movements that translate to full-body arcs and thrusts. It's not 1:1 and ends up just feeling chintzy. Well, to me, anyway. If you like that, then that's great... more selection of games for you to enjoy.

But to anyone who says Move is laggier than a Wii Remote... well, you've either not used both, or you're laughably self-blinded. Also, the Move does not require the camera—not for all games, anyway. It's more to differentiate players than to track action. Nearly all of the movement tracking occurs within the handheld (similar to how your cell phone recognizes yaw, pitch, and roll). And it's extremely tight.

You absolutely can swing the sword in any direction and link will saying in the same direction. Your problem is you're winding up your swing, which you don't need to do. No matter what position your sword is in, you can swing your controller in any direction and that's the way Link will swing his sword. To swing right you don't need to position your sword on the left first.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, speaking of motion controls, word on the street is that Miyamoto is enforcing Platinum to design SF0 entirely around it. It's gonna be a trainwreck if true.

People have actually played the game however and that wasn't the case. The stick controls movement and tilt controls independent aiming. This was a little hard to get used to at E3 because your reticle would move before the camera which made aiming more difficult, but you can tell in latest promotional footage they've locked the reticle to the center of the screen.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Saoshyant posted:

that monster... someone needs to stop him before he destroys video game's as we know it.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Word On The Street is miyamoto bursts into the platinumgames offices and suplexes anyone who says "analog stick"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

absolutely anything posted:

Word On The Street is miyamoto bursts into the platinumgames offices and suplexes anyone who says "analog stick"

Reality will never live up to this, sadly.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I just wanna know if Platinum is making the cutscenes....

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

greatn posted:

You absolutely can swing the sword in any direction and link will saying in the same direction. Your problem is you're winding up your swing, which you don't need to do. No matter what position your sword is in, you can swing your controller in any direction and that's the way Link will swing his sword. To swing right you don't need to position your sword on the left first.

This is the very thing that makes the motions feel abstract and hurts the 1:1 feel, though. Telling people "don't wind up" is telling them not to swing the sword the way Link would, which is exactly what the complaint was in the first place.

On top of that, the game signals the mechanics inconsistently-- Link makes a point of holding his sword the way you do, right up until a swing registers, at which point the game switches to the more symbolic no-wind-up system. The result feels sloppy.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

If you really want to, you can wind the sword up, just don't do it with a sudden slashing motion. It's not necessary though.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

greatn posted:

No matter what position your sword is in, you can swing your controller in any direction and that's the way Link will swing his sword.
This is exactly what I hated. My hand was already low, but to swing downward, I had to bring it even lower. Again, there's no 1:1 translation, so it's very clunky. Conversely, the Move (and to a degree, Kinect) can track overall spatial movement more accurately which is why you can get things like a table tennis paddle that can be rotated to specific angles in real time and a sword that you can actually control rather than giving a game character "commands" by performing cheap imitation movements.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Link holds his sword where you do to trick enemies. His animation when you do swing is consistent with an instant transition.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's hosed up that Miyamoto goes into work everyday looking for new games to ruin

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Hey I'm looking on the eShop and I can't find a deal on anything called Playstation Move. I'm on 3ds so maybe it's a Wii U only deal.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Hey I'm looking on the eShop and I can't find a deal on anything called Playstation Move. I'm on 3ds so maybe it's a Wii U only deal.

You have to buy a very expensive upgrade first. Don't worry about it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

MisterAlex posted:

Look, are you talking about motion controls or pointer controls here? Badmouth motion tracking all you want because it's always kinda rear end and unresponsive, but the pointer is such a comfortable control method that I don't understand how you could say a bad word about it. Unless you have your TV in some sort of weirdo room where you've got infrared coming in from everywhere loving it up.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Amppelix posted:

Look, are you talking about motion controls or pointer controls here? Badmouth motion tracking all you want because it's always kinda rear end and unresponsive, but the pointer is such a comfortable control method that I don't understand how you could say a bad word about it. Unless you have your TV in some sort of weirdo room where you've got infrared coming in from everywhere loving it up.
Potato Potahto. They're two aspects of the same thing. I'm talking about the implementation as much as the platform.

And if you look at my initial remark, it was specific to the motion control on Skyward Sword.

MisterAlex fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 5, 2016

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

MisterAlex posted:

Potato Potahto. They're two aspects of the same thing. I'm talking about the implementation as much as the platform.

And if you look at my initial remark, it was specific to the motion control on Skyward Sword.

I have never seen someone complain that a motion controlled game didn't make them swing their arms around like an rear end in a top hat enough before, so thanks for that.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MisterAlex posted:

Shut up MisterAlex

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Pablo Gigante posted:

Shut up MisterAlex
Oh, okay... :sweatdrop:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

MisterAlex posted:

skyward sword's controls are infamously controversial, but re4's (and the metroid primes') are not and i still don't get what wiimote lag you're talking about

Pablo Gigante posted:

Shut up MisterAlex

don't be rude

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Looper posted:

don't be rude

it's okay to be rude to idiots

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

it's okay to be rude to idiots

at least try to be funny about it tho

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm being rude to you, idiots!

News:

-Shantae Risky's Revenge Directors' Cut (the second game, originally released as DSiWare) has finally been confirmed for Wii U and it's in lotcheck with NOA/NOE right now so it should be out before too long.

-If you have a Japanese Wii U or 3DS you can several Zelda VC releases for 30% off:
-Minish Cap
-Ocarina of Time
-Link to the Past
-Link's Awakening DX
-Oracle of Ages/Seasons
-The Legend of Zelda
-Zelda 2

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Did they ever release standalone versions of Mario 1 and Lost Levels with the All Stars sprites, or is that one only on the SNES/Wii?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fooley posted:

Did they ever release standalone versions of Mario 1 and Lost Levels with the All Stars sprites, or is that one only on the SNES/Wii?

Just SNES/Wii. They never got GBA ports like 2 and 3 did.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Silver Falcon posted:

people don't play minecraft for its story tho

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

what about minecraft story mode

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
shut up

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Kaubocks posted:

what about minecraft story mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Mario 1 and Lost Levels have a GBC port on the eShop however. The ports aren't great because of limited screen real estate and lost levels doesn't have wind, but it has saves, and a cool challenge mode where you can find hidden coins, a Yoshi egg, and time attack.