Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Paid parental leave is only like $500 smackers a week tho, most fathers or soon to be fathers I know would rather the missus take the time off anyway otherwise the home finances go to poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah, Labour’s position is to pass the bill already passed by the house last term to up it to 18 ASAP. Then as they look to increase it going forward. Increase the rate and allow partners to take some. They are doing a loving terrible job of getting that information out though and allowing National to control the narrative. Of course National could have not vetoed last term and could have put in the partner clause when it went through select committee. All of this is missing from the stories about this.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

In systems where the total allocation is shared however the family wants (like in the UK), only 2% of men take any of the leave. So National are actually just concern trolling.

The point is that unless there are separate entitlements that are lost if not used then men won't use any. $550/week is a bit of a step down from the median income but not too much. But yeah for upper middle class families it'd throw out the budget probably yeah.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Giving some of the leave to the other parent is a good idea. But using urgency to pass the bill that had already gone through the select committee process solves the more pressing issue. Hopefully they will address it as they extend it further out to 22 weeks. It will also assist with their other goal of reducing the gender wage gap. As countries which do have leave for both parents have seen this reduced. It also leads to fathers more involved in day to day care of the kids.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Heard a snippet on the radio about a proposed inclusion of GST on overseas purchases (From Amazon and the ilk). Glad I already bought my laptop, but urgh.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
I have no idea how they expect that to actually work on small purchases.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I already pay way too much for video games.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Neither do they, seems to just be something they want to pursue with higher priority than National was giving it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Heard a snippet on the radio about a proposed inclusion of GST on overseas purchases (From Amazon and the ilk). Glad I already bought my laptop, but urgh.

I thought they already do this on stuff over $300? I paid GST on the laptop I imported in like 2010.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I suppose it's partially related to trade protectionism, but realistically, we're paying way too much for poo poo in the stores.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

bike tory posted:

I thought they already do this on stuff over $300? I paid GST on the laptop I imported in like 2010.

$400, unless the item also incurs duty in which case its more like $250 or something.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

They need to cut GST.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Ratios and Tendency posted:

They need to cut GST.

And introduce at least one new income tax bracket.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

How loud and shrill do you think the "Taxcinda" crows would be if they introduced another income tax?

(Absolutely they should lower GST and increase the income tax at the top)

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

bike tory posted:

Is it just me or has Paddy Gower gotten really lazy? His articles are often only about 100 words, and the writing is very poor. He doesn't seem to understand the difference between a sentence and a paragraph, it's like he just types up and publishes his notes

Not to defend Paddy because I do think he's gone to seed, but what you're describing is a side-effect of the multi-platform strategy Mediaworks pushes. Everything has to be on every platform, so when you see those short articles with odd structure from on-air personalities, it's actually the copy they wrote for their 6pm TV news (or radio) piece. Go back and read it again, but do your best Paddy impression and mentally insert cuts to interviews or soundbites between the lines.

All the working stiffs below management think this is stupid, but hey, multi-platform! Disruptive! Sharable! Meanwhile, the online team probably has a full article with far more depth that's been up all day before Paddy's 'story' hits the website.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
because

exmarx fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 17, 2017

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Also I can't wear a medal from a country that's not part of the commonwealth without permission? How is that a law?!?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Still pretty embarrassing for the defence minister to not know correct military protocol. Especially since he makes a lot of noise about his past service etc.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Something which that article only vaguely makes reference to once or twice is that military protocol is protocol for the military rather than for politicians who happen to be ex-servicemen.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

klen dool posted:

Also I can't wear a medal from a country that's not part of the commonwealth without permission? How is that a law?!?

Probably because once upon a time some counterculture nerd thought it'd be really subversive to wear an iron cross or order of the red star medal during ANZAC day or sommat.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I wonder if the British let that Spanish dude who double-agent'd the Germans in Operation Fortitude South wear his Iron Cross (especially authorised by Hitler) as well as his GBE from King George.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

If you're in the services, it's part of the standing orders, like the uniform standards. Otherwise, it's just a non binding protocol but very standard afaik.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I did find some repealed legislation that seemed to make it a criminal act to wear medals that are not yours, but no current legislation.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I was wondering if the warrant that creates a class of medal dictates the way a wearer has to display it, but according to this page, no, as a civvy you can wear them how you want.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i just don't care about cosplay and achievement badges

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What?! Holy poo poo, the PM talked about a sports team that isn't the All Blacks? What is happening to this country?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

https://twitter.com/AJemaineClement/status/931070859132809216

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:lol:

quote:

It was intended as a joke and he laughed, but she later "reflected that it could have been taken in a very particular way," she told Newsroom.
You know what you did Jacinda, we all know.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

exmarx posted:

i just don't care about cosplay and achievement badges

why did you link the story in the first place then?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's long but y'all should listen to this dude speak he's awesome.

http://www.justspeak.org.nz/moana_jackson_talk_november_2017

JustSpeak in general are great and deserve all the support

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Make New Zealand Great Again

https://youtu.be/-A7WFKi3qEc?t=9m45s

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

bike tory posted:

It's long but y'all should listen to this dude speak he's awesome.

http://www.justspeak.org.nz/moana_jackson_talk_november_2017

JustSpeak in general are great and deserve all the support

Tautoko to that.

We have a big prison problem on the islands.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

WarpedNaba posted:

Since October last year NZ GST is also charged on all overseas digital purchases (not just those above a certain value). e.g. Steam games, Netflix, iTunes etc.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Nition posted:

Since October last year NZ GST is also charged on all overseas digital purchases (not just those above a certain value). e.g. Steam games, Netflix, iTunes etc.

Businesses need to trade above $60k annual to NZ before they are obliged to register for that though.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/98928698/dont-give-money-to-beggars-christchurch-social-services-say

We really need to get faith based charity groups to gently caress right out of 'helping' homeless people, because they're shite.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Hitting some hard facts there by revealing that street beggars might not be homeless but could instead be dealing with addiction issues.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Ghostlight posted:

Hitting some hard facts there by revealing that street beggars might not be homeless but could instead be dealing with addiction issues.

And how dare anyone become good at, and make a living from, something that they do regularly

They should have at least three levels of abstraction from asking for people's money, like normal folks

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good marketing, it's a pity nobody who agrees can afford new furniture.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Several youth under 15 had been counted. They chose to live in the street because their homes were unsafe or because of addiction issues, which was a "sad indictment on our society".

Don't give money to people asking for it because they might not be homeless, they might just be poser kids that can't go home because its unsafe or their parents are crack heads.

poo poo checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Chch City Mission CEO Matthew Mark on beggars: "[For] most of them it is their business and they are making a jolly good living out of it."

lol he used to be a franchise owner for a mortgage company, then a regional manager for sbs bank, ofc he loving was. Our society is morally bankrupt.

• Locked thread