Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bistromatic posted:

Indolent Bastard told me to post some screenshots of my hands to show how i stabilize them on the table edge.
So if you claim to have shaky hands just put them somewhere that doesn't shake :v:

(click for big)

The important bit for those that struggle with shaky hands is that both his hands are stabilized, the brush hand and the hand holding the model (which is pinned so he can hold the thing he's using for the temporary base not the model itself)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Bistromatic posted:

Indolent Bastard told me to post some screenshots of my hands to show how i stabilize them on the table edge.
So if you claim to have shaky hands just put them somewhere that doesn't shake :v:

(click for big)

My wife also came up with the idea of using a keyboard wrist rest on the edge of your station so it's more comfortable for long periods of time.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Bistromatic posted:

(click for big)

One of my earliest painting "coaches" suggested planting the base of the brush hand into the ball of the hand holding the miniature. That way, when one hand shakes, they both shake together, so the brush and mini are relatively still next to each other. (Elbow bracing is optional.)

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Dr. Gargunza posted:

One of my earliest painting "coaches" suggested planting the base of the brush hand into the ball of the hand holding the miniature. That way, when one hand shakes, they both shake together, so the brush and mini are relatively still next to each other. (Elbow bracing is optional.)

I might be weirder than I originally thought, as all this talking of hands got my thinking.

I usually have both wrists on the desk with my left hand holding the mini by the base, my right hand holding brush (or vice versa depending on what I'm painting) with the brush holding hand resting on my mini-holding hand so they're kind of locked together.

Maybe I'm really weird, my wife definitely thought I was when I asked her to take a photo of my hands as I can't describe in words what a picture does.

In short, both hands resting on desk, brush hand (right in this pic, sometimes left) resting on other in a T shape so they're both supported and both shake in unison when I move.

(Yes I bite my nails, still haven't stopped since quitting smoking 3 yrs ago :( )

Quiet Enable
Aug 29, 2017

"Everything in your head doesn't need to be said."

Frobbe posted:

Painted up this pot'o Cawl. He's 95% done but i've got a game tomorrow so the very final highlights can wait.

That looks amazing. Loving the that deep red.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

This is how I do it but I also link my pinkies.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Paolomania posted:

Slow progress continues. You can really tell the difference between the super glossy VGC paints on the body and the matte Reaper paints of the spikes.

Nice bad dragon color scheme.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I touch my pinky too.

Oh you mean your fingers!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oath thread cross post:

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath complete!

Unrelated, I picked up a bunch of models in a unplaceable goods auction. One of the models is that stupidly big AoS Nagash model, but, annoyingly, it's missing it's head. Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement head that fits in and doesn't cost a fortune?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Started on some conversions. I want to do some Primaris scaled scouts, so here's where I'm at with the test model:

I'm trying to get better at clothes modelling. The front was a lot better at first, but I decided to work on two areas at the same time, and ended up with a massive thumbprint instead of pretty folds :(

The boots are greenstuff casts from Reiver legs.

I'm also trying to build a standard dread CC weapon. I ended up just using one of the centurion fistes:

I'm not 100% sure the size fits. The blob on top is a 3D printed stombolter, they are absurdly hard to photograph.

Looking at the photo I really need to redo the gorget :-/

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 30, 2017

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Bit of a long-shot here, but if any UK goons happen to spot someone in possession of a suspiciously well-painted army, this one was stolen recently.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Gobboes

e: on a related note, I am looking for more great goblin miniatures - stuff that looks like brian froud designed it.
If anyone has recommendations i would be happy to hear them! These two just arrived this morning -

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 30, 2017

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Nice, they remind me of the guys from Labyrinth.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That is exactly the point! I wanna run a labyrinth tabletop game, and that's not gonna happen without at least two dozen incredible goblin miniatures.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Have you gotten the Labyrinth Board Game? No regular goblins, but you can get a mini David Bowie.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

those miniatures are awesome but they also seem to be much, much bigger than 28mm minis. Does anyone ITT own the labyrinth game? It's hard to find comparison pictures.

I definitely did consider picking it up anyways to paint up the jareth miniature as a statue.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
X-postin'!

Groetgaffel posted:

:frogsiren:The Great Goon Chapter Challenge complete!:frogsiren:

Created by Belisarius Cawl in the Ultima Founding, the Savage Hounds are an Imperial Fists successor Chapter*.
Like their namesakes, the hunting hounds of ancient Terra would herd prey into the hunter's sights, a squad of Savage hounds relentlessly advance on their foes pouring continuous fire into them, all the while in conjunction with other squads doing the same thing herds their enemies into killzones where they are rapidly cut apart in a savage crossfire.
While they are effective, the Savage Hounds are also absolutely ruthless. Anyone foolish enough to not give the Savage Hounds a wide berth might find themselves as the target of the Hounds's fire, civilians and allies alike.
These unfortunate souls typically have two choices; be cut down where they stand, or find that all their attempts of avoiding the incoming fire has pushed them into the killzone where they share their last breaths with the enemies of Mankind.
Even those capable of reaching the Savage Hounds over vox usually have little luck getting out alive. Once the targets are in their sights and a killzone have been designated, the Hounds will not stop their advance until either the last foe dies, or they themselves do.

Archmagos Dominus Cawl vehemently denies that the chapter's ruthless tactics and apparent inability to differentiate ally from enemy in the heat of combat is because of any tampering of his. And especially not because of any experimental cybernetic aggression amplifiers based on ancient, and forbidden, archeotech.

*Or so the official records claim.

If you haven't figured it out from the three clues on the model itself, or the heavy hinting in the description yet, the idea here is that these dudes are actually made from World Eaters geneseed. Between Khorne Red and the World Eaters' pre-Angron name being the War Hounds, this was the clear path for me to take.

Now, on to pictures! Click for large.
My apologies for the picture quality, even with some paper covering my work light the light is still a bit too harsh, and that is hiding a bit of the highlights.

This is my first time ever painting a marine, and also my first time trying to freehand anything.
In addition, this is the first thing I've painted in close to a year. It felt real nice to just do a fun one-off.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

those miniatures are awesome but they also seem to be much, much bigger than 28mm minis. Does anyone ITT own the labyrinth game? It's hard to find comparison pictures.

I definitely did consider picking it up anyways to paint up the jareth miniature as a statue.

Yeah, they're a bit big for 28mm. Jareth is 47mm tall, excluding his base. Ancient space marine for comparison:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Wow, thanks friend! Yeah, I think Jareth would be perfect for a statue (the game will take place during the chaos and war brought on by king jareth's death so having a statue of him would be awesome), and I may be able to get some use out of Ludo as well.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I was about to suggest searching eBay for the "Hitch" mini from Zombicide Black Plague, but it seems to have been a Kickstarter-only miniature. It's basically Bowie as Jareth, only with a rapier and dagger. Sorry.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Elfface posted:

Bit of a long-shot here, but if any UK goons happen to spot someone in possession of a suspiciously well-painted army, this one was stolen recently.

Where from? Have you checked Cash Conveters? They do take 40k stuff. I have seen a half complete tau army with all the sprues bagged up.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So pretty nonplussed because, my airbrush was being extremely temperamental recently, such as paint flow stopping/having to pull very far to get any paint at all, at least 2 leaks ever since I got it.

Except tonight my airbrush stopped painting at all. Taking it apart to look at the problem, the nozzle just falls right off, threading et al. So now I'm in the market for a new airbrush...

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Hopefully it was a cheap one. For an all around one, i recommend the Patriot 105.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

dexefiend posted:

Hopefully it was a cheap one. For an all around one, i recommend the Patriot 105.

It was an Iwata Neo I picked up for like 60-70 bucks.

I want to move up to an Iwata HP-CS, hows that compared to the Patriot 105?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Iwata is prolly nicer, but the 105 is the king of durability.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The Patriot 105 is recommended a ton for good reason. It's pretty indestructible, gives great results and doesn't cost the earth.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Phi230 posted:

It was an Iwata Neo I picked up for like 60-70 bucks.

I want to move up to an Iwata HP-CS, hows that compared to the Patriot 105?

I own both the 105 and the HP-CS

The 105 is a good all around brush, but the HP-CS feels nicer to work with, the trigger allows for more control than the 105, and the materials feel better.

I use the 105 for undercoating, terrain and varnish, and I use the Iwata for everything else.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Cross-post from 40k
It's been a while since I took photos of poo poo. The Sicaran Omega looks really cool, but I think the rules are trash (170 points base, 24" heavy 6 plasma gun that can overcharge to heavy 3 s9 -1 d3). Doesn't get anything to ignore the penalty for movement, so if you want to get in range you can't overcharge without a -1 penalty.

Fire raptor is cool and good. Lots of points, but also lots of bullets. Really good at killing primaris and putting damage on light/medium vehicles.

Fat land raider

Hero of my most recent game putting 14 wounds on a land raider in a single turn

Some mans

A contemptor

My entire army as of now

Compared to June right after 8th dropped

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Holy poo poo. That is a nice looking army.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
So good.

What's your end goal?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

So good.

What's your end goal?

An empty wallet and lot of red paint? I want to be able to field pretty much any list I could reasonably want to run without any proxys. At this point that mostly means non-forgeworld tanks and dreads, another squad of tactical marines, some reivers and hellblasters and all the named HQs. I also want to add a few squads of custodes.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Cross-postin' from the Oath thread:

OptimusWang posted:

OATH COMPLETE

I can't take a decent pic with my new light box to save my life, so these might change.
e: took some at my workstation; still not great, but better than the first batch :smith:

Claiming A faithful replic for the Wraith tank. This was also my first time doing a pen wash, and the turret + gunner are magnetizied:

Tried something different with Lord Castellant. After the initial zeinthal prime, I essentially redid it with different shades of gold through the airbrush. His cloak is also my first shot at glazing.

I got nothing for poor bird-cat dude. At least the colors are fun.

Scorpion tank from Halo - gunner and turret are magnetized:

Half-Elf Sorceress from Reaper. My wife said to paint her like a princess, but didn't specify which one :v:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
That wraith is gorgeous and I need to know what you did/what paints and washes so I can shamelessly steal it for a model kit.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Double posting because "what I did when Irma sent everything to hell" deserves it's own post :v:

Some bad dudes for D&D:

...and a paladin to fight them. Really like how the gold trim turned out on his armor:

Half-Orc Barbarian:

Did somebody order a water-witch and her pet sea serpent?

Also finished baby's first space marine, a Stealth Scar from the Chapter Challenge thread:

A stormtrooper riding a dinosaur, because reasons:

Tie Interceptor from X-Wing:

Another X-Wing ship, the HWK-290:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

OptimusWang posted:

Double posting because "what I did when Irma sent everything to hell" deserves it's own post :v:

A stormtrooper riding a dinosaur, because reasons:

Another X-Wing ship, the HWK-290:

Your purples are amazing and I need an excuse to paint more purple.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

That wraith is gorgeous and I need to know what you did/what paints and washes so I can shamelessly steal it for a model kit.

Thanks man. It actually wasn't that bad once I figred out the colors (the HWK above was my test piece).

• Black primer
  • Airbrush with Army Painter Plate Mail all over
  • Add some Scale 75 Inktensity Violet to the pot until you get the lighter purple mix. Spray the whole thing.
  • Now airbrush the darker edges with just Scale 75 Inktensity Violet
  • Spray a coat of gloss (I used Vallejo gloss through the airbrush)
  • Pen wash (pin wash?) Gloss Nuln Oil in the cracks
  • Hit the black areas with Vallejo German Grey
  • Wash the blacks with Nuln Oil (matte)
  • Brush the black areas with AP Anti-Shine Varnish

Booley posted:

Your purples are amazing and I need an excuse to paint more purple.

Thanks! If you don't mind me asking, how did you get the reds so vibrant on your space marines? Every time I try I end up either with maroon (see above) or almost an orange.

OptimusWang fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 1, 2017

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm Dr. Gargunza, and this is my favorite page in the painting megathread. :) (Seriously, I could also have used your recipe for purple this month, it's quite smooth.)

Oath Thread xpost:

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Oath Complete!

Full album is here.

I converted the wight king into a lich lord for future Frostgrave campaigns; the converted Ingrid (she normally wields a sword) is a friend's D&D cleric.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

OptimusWang posted:

Thanks! If you don't mind me asking, how did you get the reds so vibrant on your space marines? Every time I try I end up either with maroon (see above) or almost an orange.

It's a base of mephiston red over vallejo grey primer, highlighted with wild rider red and evil sunz scarlet.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Last night the wife and I spent the evening painting some reaper bones for funsies and- her words- "great anniversary date night". I'll get some pics later, she is an actual fine artist/instructor/craft seller. Now she's asking me some questions that I don't have great answers for:

Is eBay the primary market for painted minis? (I haven't been to CMON in ages)

Do you need to stick to established games (GW, PP) if you expect to sell your work?(yes I reckon)

Is buying box releases like dark imperium, painting it and selling it out piece meal a decent money maker (seems like it).

We're not really serious about this, but she's curious. It's a good funsies Co-hobby, it'd be neat to make a little sustainment money out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I bought the Servo Haulers to spice up my gaming table, and I think the rusted brown metals look totally rad. Anyone know how to achieve this effect?