Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

McNally posted:

I'm pretty sure this actually happened during the course of the show.

Looked it up, and you're right;

quote:

In the fifth season episode "Trilogy (Part 2)," Sam fathers a child who proves to be his true genetic child, not the child of his Leapee. Samantha Josephine 'Sammy Jo' Fuller, like Sam, is a child prodigy with a eidetic memory. She would grow up to join the staff of PQL, never knowing that Sam is her true father.

I completely spaced on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Looked it up, and you're right;

I completely spaced on that.

Quantum Leap was fun because whenever the question of "is it Sam's body during the leap or is it his mind (often mixed with the leapee's mind) in the leapee's body?" came up, the answer was always an emphatic YES oh boy

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Bucswabe posted:

That's a fair point. I think it just struck me because it's the only time I can think of where they used a Captain's Log in the middle of an urgent crisis situation.

There's one in "Encounter at Farpoint", where Q first appears, cut to commercial, cut back to exactly the same scene... but Picard's managed to record a log despite no time passing.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Angry Salami posted:

There's one in "Encounter at Farpoint", where Q first appears, cut to commercial, cut back to exactly the same scene... but Picard's managed to record a log despite no time passing.

Originally the captain's log was supposed to be a narration made after the events to give the story a recap for when they returned from a commercial break. Then they forgot that and decided somehow the captain made an entry in the middle of running away from a bunch of angry guys with guns.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, it happens a lot. TOS actually handled it better in a way because it was so obviously a narrative conceit that you had to just go with it, but Berman trek uses more sparingly, so it's more jarring when the timing doesn't work.

If you want to justify it in-universe (because that's what you're into). You can just pretend they recorded them later and backdated them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The_Doctor posted:

Wil Wheaton is literally the first thing you see in the new MST3K series, and I pretty much quit right there.
He's there for like ninety seconds and that's his only appearance, go watch the funny puppet show!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm not really sure why people hate Wil Wheaton so much in 2017. He thought Wesley sucked too, and is basically not acting because his experience of child acting on Star Trek was soulsucking.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Welp.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

dont even fink about it posted:

I'm not really sure why people hate Wil Wheaton so much in 2017. He thought Wesley sucked too, and is basically not acting because his experience of child acting on Star Trek was soulsucking.

He traded on his name to become something of a nerd celeb and as happens with every nerd friendly celeb, he is hated by certain types with a passion approaching the heat of a thousand suns. Felicia Day coincidentally also get's this, though it is magnified by her having the unmitigated gall to be a woman.

Edit: Happened to Patton Oswald as well now that I think of it.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 10, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Will has a long history of being a huge oval office. Felicia Day is just a bad actress.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
"Do you know who I am? I was the most hated tertiary character on a genre show most people have heard of but admittedly haven't seen many episode of! I was more memorable than the lady security officer but not as popular as the doughy Irish guy! So why don't you get me a swag bag or whatever it is you convention people do!"

Nah he's alright. People give him a hard time cause they can't think of anything he did after Star Trek despite doing a long list of roles and voice acting. So they think he went from Star Trek to a guy who keeps reminding everyone he was on Star Trek.

Rhyno posted:

Will has a long history of being a huge oval office.

I'd like to hear more

vermin fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 10, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
He puts his foot down very heavily and very vocally about issues he feels strongly on, to the point of being an rear end in a top hat about it if you disagree with him. There's probably something else but that's mostly what I'm aware of.

I don't mind him overall in managed doses though, Tabletop is neat.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Also the MST3k comment is pretty out of place. He's literally only in the thing for like 30 seconds, it's just a cameo.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Bucswabe posted:

That's a fair point. I think it just struck me because it's the only time I can think of where they used a Captain's Log in the middle of an urgent crisis situation.

Encounter at Farpoint

Edit never mind

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 10, 2017

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

remusclaw posted:

He traded on his name to become something of a nerd celeb and as happens with every nerd friendly celeb, he is hated by certain types with a passion approaching the heat of a thousand suns. Felicia Day coincidentally also get's this, though it is magnified by her having the unmitigated gall to be a woman.

Edit: Happened to Patton Oswald as well now that I think of it.

I think professional nerds like Wheaton and Day get shat on because they've made careers doing/being something that's traditionally been the domain of people who are less attractive and have worse social skills. Basically people are mad because they think the theater kids shouldn't be allowed to represent the av/chess/anime club demographic. It's stupid, but people never quite grow out of who they were in high school.

As for Patton Oswald, he's fine, but he's just been really overexposed and isn't very funny in a lot of the places he shows up. I liked him on Bojack though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

vermin posted:

I'd like to hear more

As Rhyno says, he's known for being quite a lot of an arsehole.

Also, he completely threw his Tabletop producer under the bus. Here's his blog post about a rules messup: http://wilwheaton.net/2015/06/tabletop-kingdom-builder-and-screwing-up-the-rules/

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The_Doctor posted:

As Rhyno says, he's known for being quite a lot of an arsehole.

Also, he completely threw his Tabletop producer under the bus. Here's his blog post about a rules messup: http://wilwheaton.net/2015/06/tabletop-kingdom-builder-and-screwing-up-the-rules/

I don't know. I'd feel pretty Beltran'd too if I put a lot of work into something only to look like an idiot because someone half-assed their job.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

As far as nerd cred goes, messing up the rules of a game you're essentially demoing for the internet is pretty shameful, but relying on some producer to do it for you is worse. If you can't be bothered to read the rules, why play board games? I've screwed up the rules for table top games before, but no way would I let it happen that many times on an ongoing series. Where is Wheaton's loving professionalism? Why not take half an hour to read the manual yourself? That's what real gamers do.

E: I hadn't noticed, but he does cop to reading the rules for the first two seasons and stopping for the third. Surely that has no relationship to the producer suddenly going from great to terrible.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 10, 2017

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Rhyno posted:

Will has a long history of being a huge oval office. Felicia Day is just a bad actress.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

God those old PADDs just look so funny in a world that has iPads.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They need padds that aren't 100% screen that can fall off a shelf when the whole ship shakes.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Someone develop an Android LCARS launcher that doesn't look godawful please. I just spent a few minutes browsing them on Google Play and ugh.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

At least PADDs apparently have infinite battery.

The annoying thing is that they were so close - every now and then they'd pull out a PADD with a full-sized screen.

It's dumb Voyager didn't update to that, the writing was certainly on the wall by then.

Drone posted:

Someone develop an Android LCARS launcher that doesn't look godawful please. I just spent a few minutes browsing them on Google Play and ugh.

Unfortunately it's only the home screen and only works for tablets on this specific ratio because the BG is an image for now, and the app icons are just a pack that kinda matches, but give me a buzz, it should work on an N7 like yours.

One of these days I want to make a generalised solution.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 10, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There's LCARS 47 which is a fun interactive touchscreen app. I've had it running on a windows tablet to full effect and it's pretty nifty. The next big update is going to add a hell of a lot.

There's talk of bringing it to mobile at some point too.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Drone posted:

Also the MST3k comment is pretty out of place. He's literally only in the thing for like 30 seconds, it's just a cameo.

I didn't even recognize it was him until I read about it later. Granted, it's both a superfluous and an awful scene.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I didn't even recognize it was him until I read about it later. Granted, it's both a superfluous and an awful scene.

The non-movie parts of MST3k have pretty much always been that bad. It was supposed to be awful.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Judging MST3K by anything outside of the movie is weird.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Drone posted:

God those old PADDs just look so funny in a world that has iPads.

Just figure they're the futurespace equivalent of those workplace/military laptops and cell phones that are built like brick shithouses to survive being dropped off of catwalks and stuff.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The thing that really stands out is tricorders. I have no idea why they invented LCARS and PADDs and then proceed to make the tricorders big slabs of flashies and buttons.

Orv
May 4, 2011
PADDs are just text storage/display devices, right? Some little comm tech?

Tricorders are magic boxes that can science every goddamn thing you'd ever want to science. It's not a great reason, but that's got to be at least a little bulky.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Orv posted:

He puts his foot down very heavily and very vocally about issues he feels strongly on, to the point of being an rear end in a top hat about it if you disagree with him.

That sounds like basically every person in 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Orv posted:

PADDs are just text storage/display devices, right? Some little comm tech?

Tricorders are magic boxes that can science every goddamn thing you'd ever want to science. It's not a great reason, but that's got to be at least a little bulky.

Oh, it's not the bulk I'm complaining about, just the controls on top. Why they didn't just make the inside some panes of okudagrams I have no idea.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Grand Fromage posted:

Judging MST3K by anything outside of the movie is weird.

Yep. It's been really weird to hear younger people discovering the show for the first time and being weirded-out by the interstitial segments and the hammy acting. I want to say, "Don't you remember that this is how it's supposed to be?" but then I remember that a lot of the people watching the new show were barely alive, if at all, when the old show was on the air.

This is like when I asked my students (college freshmen) five years ago, "You folks remember the fall of the Berlin Wall, right?" They all just stared at me like I was talking about the fuckin Crimean War, then one of them said, "Professor, I was born in 1992." It all just makes me feel old and lame.

:corsair:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Drone posted:

The non-movie parts of MST3k have pretty much always been that bad. It was supposed to be awful.

I pretty much like the new show; I even don't mind most of the host segments, but that was a bad way to start the show.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Oh, it's not the bulk I'm complaining about, just the controls on top. Why they didn't just make the inside some panes of okudagrams I have no idea.

Oh, yeah I don't know, that would be better.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Duckbag posted:

I think professional nerds like Wheaton and Day get shat on because they've made careers doing/being something that's traditionally been the domain of people who are less attractive and have worse social skills. Basically people are mad because they think the theater kids shouldn't be allowed to represent the av/chess/anime club demographic. It's stupid, but people never quite grow out of who they were in high school.

As for Patton Oswald, he's fine, but he's just been really overexposed and isn't very funny in a lot of the places he shows up. I liked him on Bojack though.

It's another one of those places where we nerds act like we have sole reason for anger, but the theater kids get to represent everyone.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

dont even fink about it posted:

We're kind of confusing the actors with the other production staff, but:

Not everyone gets into acting because they want to do cons for the rest of their lives, or because they want to be forever known for one character (who outside of the leads are not typically known for being good roles). Shatner and Stewart struggled to get other work for years afterward (though Stewart made bank as Picard). Shatner eventually did OK for himself, but was doing dumb horror movies until the 80's.

I don't think Stewart has really had that much trouble getting work, as he was already well established prior to Trek and has managed to avoid being tainted by association. If he's not been on screen he's probably been doing theatre - he was doing The Tempest on Broadway right after TNG wrapped up.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Drone posted:

Yeah, I'll never understand people who really, really liked the interstitials.

I mean I guess I'm overstating it, people like stuff I don't like all the time; but like, I guess I just thought everyone else who likes MST3K agreed that the interstitials were simply a necessary evil to make it qualify as a real TV show. The thing everyone skips.

Then I read TVtropes.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

If you don't like the host segments on the puppet show then you may be dead inside.

Related: https://youtu.be/sZLcIpbOHIU

8one6 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

8one6 posted:

If you don't like the host segments on the puppet show then you may be dead inside.

Related: https://youtu.be/sZLcIpbOHIU

Pro click as hell right here. Joel and Mike both had segments that flopped, but there's more than enough like this one to redeem all of the interstitial skits. Watch all of them, because you might be missing stuff like this, or this, or this, or this, or this.