Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Second season of 00 isn't awful, its just not nearly as good as the first. I would rate it as solidly okay like 6/10 where season 1 is more around that 8-8.5/10 range. There is much worse Gundam than S2 of 00.

The disappointment for me came from how strongly the second season started. Breaking everyone out, getting the gang back together (or finding others to fill the place of others) and then it just goes off the rails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The dub VA for Setsuna does a lot to show his character growth in season 2.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

If you go into S2 prepared with knowing it starts off good, drops down to meh and picks up near the end due to :catdrugs: it's still very enjoyable.
The movie just embraces the :catdrugs: factor and I love it more then I should.

Great music throughout all of 00 btw, that never stops.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 24, 2018

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
My problem with season 2 is largely an issue of wasted potential. For all the slow-burn set up of season 1, the payoffs you'd expect in s2 are rushed & flat because they're making room for the big Innovator fight instead.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HitTheTargets posted:

My problem with season 2 is largely an issue of wasted potential. For all the slow-burn set up of season 1, the payoffs you'd expect in s2 are rushed & flat because they're making room for the big Innovator fight instead.

What really bugs me is they spent so long in season one setting up Saji and Louise as the civilian perspective. And then they both immediately become pilots in Season 2. And season 2 is when CB's actions are actually having an effect on society! When having established civilian characters to show how the world is changed would be most beneficial to the show, they loving fly off to do robot battles in space! It sucks so much.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Saji spends a few episodes in prison. He is shoved into the Raiser as soon as he's freed, though.

I don't even necessarily disagree with it, to be honest. What's the single most Gundam trope? A civilian forced to pilot a mech. Taking a whole season to get to know them first is a great way to do something new with that concept. Granted, that is by no means what they did or tried to do with Saji, so your point still stands.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 24, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
00’s soundtrack is a bit repetitive. Whole lot of AHHH-AH-AH AH-AH-AH AHHH-AH-AH. It’s adequate enough, but not top-tier like Turn A, Unicorn, or GBF.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Zedd posted:

If you go into S2 prepared with knowing it starts off good, drops down to meh and picks up near the end due to :catdrugs: it's still very enjoyable.
The movie just embraces the :catdrugs: factor and I love it more then I should.

It's funny because in hindsight I can't imagine 00 ending in any way but :catdrugs:. The framing from basically the start of the series supports the movie's tripped out ending, people in S1 00 frequently wondered what the end game actually is for Celestial Being and point out they can't come up with a reasonable answer to how they're going to do what they say they want to do. Thus when the series takes a sharp right turn later on to give unreasonable answers they're paying off this initial skepticism oddly.

Also I'd seriously love a one-shot OVA about the crew of the Sumeragi and their ELS friends going off and being Star Trek.

Solkanar512 posted:

The disappointment for me came from how strongly the second season started. Breaking everyone out, getting the gang back together (or finding others to fill the place of others) and then it just goes off the rails.

This is very true as well. Even putting aside the wacky resolution 00 S2 has some really dubious pacing going on.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpXMKTzCr9c

In which "Z Toki Wo Koete", which is itself inspired by the melody from Neil Sedaka's "Better Days Are Coming", is replaced by Richie Kotzen's cover "Go Beyond The Time", which itself is a reference to "Beyond The Time" from Char's Counterattack.

Cool video.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpXMKTzCr9c

In which "Z Toki Wo Koete", which is itself inspired by the melody from Neil Sedaka's "Better Days Are Coming", is replaced by Richie Kotzen's cover "Go Beyond The Time", which itself is a reference to "Beyond The Time" from Char's Counterattack.

Cool video.

If he and Andrew WK aren't allowed to contribute to the soundtrack of the live action Gundam movie, it would be a great injustice

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If the new movie isn't just orchestral remixes of the OG Gundam soundtrack I will be disappointed.

Speaking of the Gundam film, to nobody's surprise, Sunrise will be heavily involved with Legendary Pictures in overseeing the production.

I wonder how much of a say Bandai is going to have with regards to the film. Obviously they'll have their gunpla production working night and day for HG and MG kits, but I doubt they'll have the same "MAKE THIS SUIT SO WE CAN SELL IT" influence in a cooperative deal with Legendary than they would have with their home products.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

If the new movie isn't just orchestral remixes of the OG Gundam soundtrack I will be disappointed.

Speaking of the Gundam film, to nobody's surprise, Sunrise will be heavily involved with Legendary Pictures in overseeing the production.

I wonder how much of a say Bandai is going to have with regards to the film. Obviously they'll have their gunpla production working night and day for HG and MG kits, but I doubt they'll have the same "MAKE THIS SUIT SO WE CAN SELL IT" influence in a cooperative deal with Legendary than they would have with their home products.

At the very least, it'll probably track reasonably close to the OYW series or first movie.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What if it's the For The Barrel adaptation we've all been waiting for?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

If he and Andrew WK aren't allowed to contribute to the soundtrack of the live action Gundam movie, it would be a great injustice

I'd like to see some Linkin Park, for my teenage self and because they were fans.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd like to see some Linkin Park, for my teenage self and because they were fans.

I will put up with Linkin Park and dozens of awful transformers movies if it gives me a Beast Wars film.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

You just want a reprint of the Linkin Park HG GP01Fb :colbert:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

not gonna lie, I'd buy a Real Grade in those colors

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well, yeah.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

We're have one of the hottest summers on record in Japan.

https://twitter.com/funbolt/status/1021807641507418112?s=19

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Narrative starting this fall?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Darth Walrus posted:

00’s soundtrack is a bit repetitive. Whole lot of AHHH-AH-AH AH-AH-AH AHHH-AH-AH. It’s adequate enough, but not top-tier like Turn A, Unicorn, or GBF.

I watched Ip Man a while ago and wondered why I kept thinking of Gundams all the way through until I saw the credits. Kenji Kawai has a style and he likes it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is Narrative starting this fall?

The official site says it's due to open in theaters this November.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RillAkBea posted:

The official site says it's due to open in theaters this November.

Oh poo poo, I thought it was a TV show, not a movie. I wonder if it'll show in any American theaters

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RillAkBea posted:

We're have one of the hottest summers on record in Japan.

https://twitter.com/funbolt/status/1021807641507418112?s=19
Man we better hope that WacDonalds has some pictures of Spacenoids on their walls, this could blow up into something huge otherwise.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Am I the only one who noticed a weird spike in animation quality during the last few eps of Turn A? Everyone suddenly gets cartoony and super effusive and the lighting gets SUPER dramatic.

Agrippa goes from this:

to this:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nope, I noticed it too and thought it was really distracting.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

They saved a lot of budget for those last couple episodes. It's noticeable, but I didn't find it bothersome.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, the apocalypse is starting to kick off. If that’s not a reason to up the drama, what is?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, the apocalypse is starting to kick off. If that’s not a reason to up the drama, what is?

whoa, for a minute there I thought I was in the politics thread!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

They saved a lot of budget for those last couple episodes. It's noticeable, but I didn't find it bothersome.

They also, I assume, spent more time on them. Budget's usually less of a factor than time, experience, and enthusiasm, so it makes sense to put the best people you have on the big finale.

Meanwhile, I finally watched episode 3 of 08th, and every episode the comments about how it's more military and gritty feels... odder.

Also, why didn't the EF try to get into contact with local guerillas earlier? Like, coordination there would offer massive benefits, and I don't remember seeing where their objectives clash yet.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

Meanwhile, I finally watched episode 3 of 08th, and every episode the comments about how it's more military and gritty feels... odder.
I suspect people say this because of the lack of Newtypes more than anything...even though you still have some of the same complaints usually associated with Newtypes present in the show, like Shiro and Aina more or less falling in love with each other immediately, but without even the narrative or thematic justification that Newtypes have.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It gets a reputation for being more grungy and militaristic because of the Vietnam-style jungle fighting aesthetic, the relatively low power and ponderous movements of the units on display(until the Gouf Custom and the Apsalus throw that poo poo out the window), and the fact that the protagonists are regular joe army guys instead of newtype star children or press-ganged civilians. The actual plot is extremely not gritty and military because it's a bog standard star crossed lovers joint.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
00 season two has started well I reckon. Up to episode 6 now I think. I'll enjoy this so long as they keep saying naff poo poo like MISSION START and the animation remains good. I'm into all the characters as well so even if it becomes a morass, I'll hang in with them.

E: one thing I'm enjoying a lot is Setsuna being kind of like proto-Mika or Mikalite. Singularly driven insane anime lunatic characters own. H/allelujah and Lockon Stratos also fun to watch. Purple dude whose name I forget is fine as the Data "what is this... Emotion!?" dude.

JBP fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 26, 2018

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
08th has that Vietnam vibe visually, and I guess some of the "sitting around waiting for Zakus to show up" or "using tactics rather than having Amuro blast the poo poo out of everything" stuff feels more grounded than the space battles. I think a lot of the talk about it being the Realistic Gundam is due to the look and feel of it, plus the characters are all regular grunts - the one legit ace Zeon pilot, who isn't exactly Char out there, is still a terrifying force of nature when he shows up. It still has the out of left field love affair and the weird nude guerrilla teen though.

Speaking of gritty brutality in the Universal Century, I finally watched Thunderbolt the other day, and it loving rules. It's cool that the Zeons are like co-protagonists and just as realized as the Federation characters, plus the fights are dope, and I was not prepared for them to invert the usual dynamic in that here it's the individual Zeons getting bodied that seem to have some weight, while Federation suits get blown the gently caress up en masse every fight. It's just a gorgeously animated show, but I feel like it could have been a little longer, more character moments between fights wouldn't have upset the pacing too much. A+ would recommend.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah I watched the thunderbolt film on YouTube and it was off the hook.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

JBP posted:

E: one thing I'm enjoying a lot is Setsuna being kind of like proto-Mika or Mikalite. Singularly driven insane anime lunatic characters own.

I'm not sure if anybody can beat Heero Yuy on that front. Setsuna had at least some sense of self preservation and Mika was at least doing it all for his friends. Heero was told by a mustachioed space man to go down to earth, wreck an entire military organization by yourself, and if you get caught don't forget to kill yourself, and he most certainly did not. Not that it worked but he gave it a drat good try. "Mission accepted :downsgun:"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Omnicrom posted:

The phrase "Executive interference" is a pretty loaded term as well, it assumes a negative overreach and the implication that an executive pushing for a change are out of the ordinary. In reality I'm pretty sure that nearly every show ever received at least one or two orders from the top asking for changes, you just rarely hear about them because they don't stick out as much.

I'd say the original Gundam is a good example of positive executive interference, at least if you count cancellation as interference. The original plans for the show have Amuro personally kill Gihren and Char realizing the folly of revenge before helping the White Base crew in their final assault on A Baoa Qu. It's a really generic sounding outline, and a lot of the appeal of 0079 is in the unusual finale the show ends up with as Amuro's win is in simply surviving and helping his friends come out of the meat grinder of war alive while Char is left unresolved as a character and that allows him to be explored in further stories.

I'd also say it's something 0079 has over a lot of other Gundam shows, including most of Tomino's own Gundam works; ZZ, Victory, Turn-A and G-Reco feature much more predictable and straight forward "happy" endings. Even Zeta falls in to that line I'd say, since while it does have Kamille dying, he still fights and kills a singular character driving and representing the entire war.

Executive interference is also commonly cited as the reason the robots are robots and not power armor or smaller units in the 8 - 10 meter range and the reason they're colorful rather than given more muted palettes among other things; both of which are probably a major reason why Gundam was so commercially successful as a product, even if it might have succeeded as a show without those things. Though I don't know how true either of those things actually are.

Omnicrom posted:

If the decision to keep Naze as a genuine ally happened in pre-production or not long after he shows up there'd be basically no evidence that this was a change from anything at all.

True, though I would personally say that in the first maybe two episodes in which Naze and the Turbines appear they have a much more guarded and sinister atmosphere that suggests Naze is going to double cross the team at some point or at least that he's not entirely on the level with them. It's never really overt or anything, so it doesn't matter long term since it's not incompatible with the direction they took his character; but I do think it's possible to look at those episodes and see some difference.

Omnicrom posted:

Season 2 is really uneven and has some setting and pacing woes. I have no doubt a lot of the stuff presented in season 2 was were Gundam 00 as always going to end up, but it probably wasn't intended to be in the exact form it took and really I think the issues with the setting were probably unavoidable sadly.

This'd be my position too. For all the complaints about executive interference, I'd question how much of it was based on executives and how much was just a shift in tone that was planned all along (similar to ZZ's shift compared to Z for instance) but that many simply didn't like. One of the few instances of definite executive interference in Gundam 00 I know of for instance was the inclusion of the Gaga, with Sunrise demanding the inclusion of one more suit part way through production despite Mizushima apparently straight up asking them how many suits they wanted prior to production and working them in to the story specifically to avoid that scenario. Interference that he reacted to by making the Gaga about as silly and perfunctory an inclusion as could be imagined. On that basis I'd question how much other things like Graham's vandetta or the A-Laws are interference and not the plan all along. I can certainly see Graham having a mask and silly name as reaction to interference based on that for instance, but I do think Graham was always going to have an overly melodramatic persona as a reaction to his loss in season one all along given that he was always an overly dramatic character anyway.

Second season of 00 isn't awful, its just not nearly as good as the first. I would rate it as solidly okay like 6/10 where season 1 is more around that 8-8.5/10 range. There is much worse Gundam than S2 of 00.

My personal feeling would be that I love season one for being a really interesting take on Gundam, but I love season two probably nearly as much simply for being a really entertaining take on Gundam. It's not as interesting, but it is more fun with set pieces like the space elevator's fall, the Momento Mori weapon etc. Then again, I like the movie too. It's not especially deep, but it's an excuse for a silly fight with lots of fan fare and that's fine by me.

Guy Goodbody posted:

What really bugs me is they spent so long in season one setting up Saji and Louise as the civilian perspective. And then they both immediately become pilots in Season 2. And season 2 is when CB's actions are actually having an effect on society! When having established civilian characters to show how the world is changed would be most beneficial to the show, they loving fly off to do robot battles in space! It sucks so much.

I don't even mind Saji falling in with Celestial Being so much as I hate his role in Celestial Being. He's just kind of shoved in to the Raiser and serves no real function there. He doesn't add anything to fights by being on the battlefield. I think he could have done everything he did by remotely interacting with the 00 from the Ptolemaios II with Ian as an engineer who helped perfect the Raiser System or regulate it on the fly in battle for a while as he worked on making it stable as a more overall goal.

Omnicrom posted:

Also I'd seriously love a one-shot OVA about the crew of the Sumeragi and their ELS friends going off and being Star Trek.

This is my dream for a future Gundam show. Star Trek: The Next Generation meets Turn-A Gundam basically, with a crew heading out to meet alien life and explore the galaxy, but upsetting some new alien race somehow in first contact and trying to avert a war for a while before eventually having to deal with one relatively quickly in the back half of the show.

Guy Goodbody posted:

What if it's the For The Barrel adaptation we've all been waiting for?

Then I jump for joy, since I love those weird designs. I'd love if the character design took some cues from it too. Top hat cyborg Char is probably too much, but neet Amuro for instance is fantastic. I'd say the designer for it nailed a lot of the characters (Sleggar, Fraw and a few others come to mind too) and made them fit their personality a lot better. The 0079 designs are still good, but Amuro for instance doesn't seem like a shut in or paranoid nerd when you look at him. The designs in 0079 are perhaps more reasonable and realistic, but I don't think they're as fitting.

ANAmal.net posted:

I think a lot of the talk about it being the Realistic Gundam is due to the look and feel of it, plus the characters are all regular grunts - the one legit ace Zeon pilot, who isn't exactly Char out there, is still a terrifying force of nature when he shows up

I don't even think Norris is a particularly great fighter and I certainly wouldn't describe him as a force of nature, even relative to the 08th MS Team; I just think the main cast turn in to complete morons for that whole fight so that Norris looks more threatening. Several moments jump out; like when the piece of bridge falls on his Gouf and Shiro reacts like Norris is a horror movie villain simply because he pushed it out of the way and got back up. Why did Shiro expect that to destroy the Gouf in the first place? At another point, Sanders and Karen cautiously edge up towards the Gouf while it uses Shiro's non-responsive Ez-8 as cover since the Gouf's heat rod blew the electronics on it and Sanders doesn't even have any weapons out. Was he planning to stare viciously at the Gouf or something? Why do they approach standing beside each other and not fan out to approach from different sides either? That fight is just silly to me.

ANAmal.net posted:

I was not prepared for them to invert the usual dynamic in that here it's the individual Zeons getting bodied that seem to have some weight, while Federation suits get blown the gently caress up en masse every fight.

Wait...is that not the way it normally is? It's Ramba Ral, the Tri-Stars, M'Quve etc. that get the weight normally, not nameless GM pilots. If you're not on the same ship as the protagonist in Gundam, but are in the same faction then you basically have no character or weight. It's only the enemy who get characterized outside the protagonist's ship, not allies.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 26, 2018

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
My biggest complaint with 00 was that the reporter lady got iced.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shiro's plan vs the Gouf.

"He wants me to retreat, TIME TO ATTACK AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!"

And Michel is just awful. I think Kou is a pig headed indecisive idiot, but he was still a pretty skilled test pilot, barring his idiotic treason in helping Kelly rebuild a mobile armor, but he also fixed that problem in the end.

Michel, though? Michel is a straight up liability and he is too dumb to live. Elodore is a desertion happy coward but he's good at his job. Michel gets mopey over his "girlfriend" and nearly gets the entire team killed. So Shiro had to plant him inside a cockpit with a preprogrammed targeting solution so Sanders could do Michel's job without killing everyone. And how does he repay Shiro? He sells him out to Miller by divulging his relationship to Aina without realizing what a horrendously bad look that is for a man already on charges of desertion.

Thank god Bibi dumped his rear end and he became a drunk. gently caress Michel.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ManSedan posted:

My biggest complaint with 00 was that the reporter lady got iced.

It's such a good character moment for Ali Al Saachez though because, even though he's being polite, soon as you see her get in the car you know she's done for.