Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Actually I've always thought that the skits were god-awful (quite intentionally so, but none the less) and that 100% of the show's strength and notability was in movie commentary.

About all the skits get across is that they love all the poo poo they watch, no matter what they say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Railing Kill posted:

Pro click as hell right here. Joel and Mike both had segments that flopped, but there's more than enough like this one to redeem all of the interstitial skits. Watch all of them, because you might be missing stuff like this, or this, or this, or this, or this.

I also feel like they help with the pacing in modern mst3k

Orv
May 4, 2011
ITT people don't like the MST3K skits and I don't know what's real anymore.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
It's somethingawful. Goons hate everything.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Unrelated to you unfeeling, inhuman motherfuckers, how does everyone feel about Masks?

I'm a big fan of it, and I feel like I'm probably wrong to be from some sort of storytelling objective standpoint, but it's one of those ones no one really talks about.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Orv posted:

Unrelated to you unfeeling, inhuman motherfuckers, how does everyone feel about Masks?

I'm a big fan of it, and I feel like I'm probably wrong to be from some sort of storytelling objective standpoint, but it's one of those ones no one really talks about.

Liked it better before Menosky wrote like six other episodes that feel exactly the same

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

All the nerds I grew up with were also the theatre people. Theatre nerds.

Also sometimes mst3k skits are amazing

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Orv posted:

ITT people don't like the MST3K skits and I don't know what's real anymore.

Speaking of which, I'm watching ENT's "Doctor's Orders," and I'm loving it. Phlox rules, and insane Phlox is even better. Sleepytime Phlox, Crazytime Phlox, it's all great.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Yeah, ENT is bad but it has some really good performances.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Railing Kill posted:

Speaking of which, I'm watching ENT's "Doctor's Orders," and I'm loving it. Phlox rules, and insane Phlox is even better. Sleepytime Phlox, Crazytime Phlox, it's all great.

Basically, what we really needed was a Star Trek medical drama

vermin fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 10, 2017

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Railing Kill posted:

Yep. It's been really weird to hear younger people discovering the show for the first time and being weirded-out by the interstitial segments and the hammy acting. I want to say, "Don't you remember that this is how it's supposed to be?" but then I remember that a lot of the people watching the new show were barely alive, if at all, when the old show was on the air.

Wow, amazing.

Railing Kill posted:

This is like when I asked my students (college freshmen) five years ago, "You folks remember the fall of the Berlin Wall, right?" They all just stared at me like I was talking about the fuckin Crimean War, then one of them said, "Professor, I was born in 1992." It all just makes me feel old and lame.

:corsair:

True story: when I was in graduate school, the kids stopped understanding philosophy points via Star Trek, and I felt old.

Now I feel old because the kids these days can't get this stuck in their heads just by me singing it

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm currently watching what I've been told is the worst Star Trek episode of all time, Code of Honor

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The initial encounter with the Space Africans is twice as corny as anything I ever saw in the original series

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard just lampshaded the fact that they're Space Africans ("[your planet's] unique similarities to an ancient culture we all admire")

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm currently watching what I've been told is the worst Star Trek episode of all time, Code of Honor

It's not, but it is insanely, impossibly terrible. Star Trek just has the distinction(?) of having several episodes of that unquality.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol "you can create people... without a soul????"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh he kidnaps Yar, of course. Of course

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Troi says the chief wants Yar for sex AND because he's greedy

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

There was a scene with Bev and Picard that I didn't hate but it only lasted 30 seconds

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I'm just glad Guinan wasn't around for all this

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The crew all told Picard that he has to let the chief dom him

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

There's the harem implication ("this is my first woman")

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh he ain't implyin' anything.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Does Geordi do anything in this episode? I've completely forgotten

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The corniness just tripled when they said they wouldn't give Yar back and the chief's wife invoked some ritual and somebody "but we haven't done that in 200 years!"

skasion posted:

Does Geordi do anything in this episode? I've completely forgotten

I haven't even seen him onscreen.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lmao now they've gotten to the fetishizing stage. "He's such a basic male image," says Troi of the chief, going on to tell Yar she likes his irresistible attention

Orv
May 4, 2011
Let me tell you about the rape gangs...

TAKE HER BACK.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh there was Geordi, he said 5 words about a sensor reading

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The chief just can't help himself when he sees a white woman. "I am in the grip of forces you do not understand"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"A code of honor protects one, Captain... like a magic cloak"

I don't know how it can possibly top this

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

"A code of honor protects one, Captain... like a magic cloak"

I don't know how it can possibly top this

Oh just you wait.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

McNally posted:

Originally the captain's log was supposed to be a narration made after the events to give the story a recap for when they returned from a commercial break. Then they forgot that and decided somehow the captain made an entry in the middle of running away from a bunch of angry guys with guns.

And the captain logs are apparently important enough to warrant launching a buoy with them on it right as they're about be destroyed (Wrath of Khan)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

More lampshade hanging by Picard. "You're right Data, [our situation] does sound like a joke"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The chief just can't help himself when he sees a white woman. "I am in the grip of forces you do not understand"

Okay this line does make sense later, it's not that he's rape crazy.

As lothe as I am to defend Code of Honor.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"How could you not love him... every woman loves him"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Really goofy scene of the chief's wife swinging around on poles and grunting in slow motion and it's supposed to be foreboding

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Imagine writing Code of Honor and then remembering that Levar Burton, star of Roots, will be in it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Yar wearing a headband and letting her bangs fall over it exactly like Rambo, that's cool

Orv
May 4, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Imagine writing Code of Honor and then remembering that Levar Burton, star of Roots, will be in it.

Some review some years ago pointed out that literally none of the dialogue wouldn't be at all racially problematic (just poo poo) if they hadn't decided every single person on the planet was black. I'd love to know which came first, the racism or the really bad idea.

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This is witchcraft, Yareena