Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Cassian of Imola posted:

I'm colourblind and I painted oil landscapes for a few years. I once painted a misty dawn scene of cows under a spreading tree, the sun filtering through the branches and illuminating everything in this kind of ethereal pale green. With the paints all out of their tubes on my palette, though, I lost track of which was which and the fog came out pastel pink. I didn't know until somebody asked me about it a long time later, pretty much had to scrap the whole painting

I think that was my last one

That's a shame, it sounds like you could make some real interesting art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Modern Count of Monte Cristo would be basically Batman. (IIRC Bane's backstory was based on it, though pretty loosely) That or a sequel to The Shawshank Redemption, which apparently outright references it.

Kinda funny that there's a Simpsons episode (in the early zombie seasons) with a Monte Cristo riff that quite sensibly heavily condenses the story, and simplifies the accusations that get him sent to prison to having English sympathies... which, intentionally or not, is what happened in the real-world case that loosely inspired the original story.

a guy who tried to write a modern version with a woman as the protagonist ended up with for real locked in syndrome where he could only move one eyelid.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bicyclops posted:

a guy who tried to write a modern version with a woman as the protagonist ended up with for real locked in syndrome where he could only move one eyelid.

Go woke, go... Paralyzed?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Heath posted:

Around this time of year I like to pull out my Annotated copy of Lolita and flip through it while sitting in my porch. Even if I haven't looked at it for a while I can open a page at random and read for a bit and find all kinds of connections between disparate passages, echoes of things from earlier in the book that resonate later. Some pages at high tension parts of the book are so completely marked up with pencil that I had to add a couple sticky notes to add more since I ran out of margin and I keep a set of multi-color tabs that I have coded to mentions of specific things (the appearance of the color pink, the appearance of or allusion to certain characters, "twinning" aspects that Nabokov was very fond of using, etc.) so that I can flip back to those parts later and tie them together in my notes. I have a couple of index cards that I have stuck at parts in the book too with things I want to investigate later.

I probably could/should read through the book front to back again but this method of jumping around reveals interesting threads because once I find something that catches my attention I stop and go looking for where I suspect the connection to be and the advantage of the Annotated edition is that I can then check annotations and see if my theory is supported by the notes, or I discover something independently and that feels cool too.

If you haven't read it I would say absolutely do not read the Annotated version first, but instead do an immediate reread and check all of the notes

honestly the best english-original nabokov to start is pnin, i think. it's not nearly as good as lolita or pale fire, but it's more fun to read for sure. pale fire is my favorite nabokov "novel" by far though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Been a while but I remember Candide being extremely funny. Also Gulliver’s Travels

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The Count of Monte Christo is good, but it being serialized for so long makes it a huge task to get through all of it. It’s just old One Piece.

Edit: I guess it was only 2 years, but whatever that shits long imo.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Been a while but I remember Candide being extremely funny. Also Gulliver’s Travels

candide, gullivers travels, and don quiote are all funny as hell.

the travels of marco polo are also really fun to read through, especially if you follow it up with italo calvino's invisible cities.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Gargantua and Pantagruel is also hilarious. I've only read the first bit of it but the entire thing is giants taking big shits and pissing so much that it drowns part of the city of Paris

Edit: in fact there are multiple scenes of copious piss

Chapter 2.XXVII.—How Pantagruel set up one trophy in memorial of their valour, and Panurge another in remembrance of the hares. How Pantagruel likewise with his farts begat little men, and with his fisgs little women; and how Panurge broke a great staff over two glasses. posted:

In the meantime Pantagruel began to sow the salt that he had in his bark, and because they slept with an open gaping mouth, he filled all their throats with it, so that those poor wretches were by it made to cough like foxes. Ha, Pantagruel, how thou addest greater heat to the firebrand that is in us! Suddenly Pantagruel had will to piss, by means of the drugs which Panurge had given him, and pissed amidst the camp so well and so copiously that he drowned them all, and there was a particular deluge ten leagues round about, of such considerable depth that the history saith, if his father's great mare had been there, and pissed likewise, it would undoubtedly have been a more enormous deluge than that of Deucalion; for she did never piss but she made a river greater than is either the Rhone or the Danube. Which those that were come out of the city seeing, said, They are all cruelly slain; see how the blood runs along. But they were deceived in thinking Pantagruel's urine had been the blood of their enemies, for they could not see but by the light of the fire of the pavilions and some small light of the moon.

The enemies, after that they were awaked, seeing on one side the fire in the camp, and on the other the inundation of the urinal deluge, could not tell what to say nor what to think. Some said that it was the end of the world and the final judgment, which ought to be by fire. Others again thought that the sea-gods, Neptune, Proteus, Triton, and the rest of them, did persecute them, for that indeed they found it to be like sea-water and salt.

Heath has a new favorite as of 17:42 on May 18, 2024

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

GargantuaBS

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

That sounds horrible dude, I hope they stop or you at least develop nen powers or something

lol thanks. it's not a huge deal, been dealing with it basically my whole life and these "attacks" only last like 10-20 seconds total. by now the worst thing about it is that i still can't anticipate it at all and there's no noticeable triggers or any kind of consistency so when they do show up i just kind of get really pissed off at my own head for being an rear end in a top hat

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
If you like extremely bleak spy novels you should read The Looking Glass War or The Spy Who Came In From The Cold

I read The Woman in White not long ago and enjoyed it immensely

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Invisible Cities is my favorite book but it's not really much of a story per se, just a bunch of sketches of different places with a very loose bit of plot connecting them.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Leraika posted:

Invisible Cities is my favorite book but it's not really much of a story per se, just a bunch of sketches of different places with a very loose bit of plot connecting them.

which is why it rules when you read the og marco polo because it's the same thing.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Bicyclops posted:

Pfft that never stopped the Diving Bell and the Butterfly guy

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Cassian of Imola posted:

I think that was my last one

you should get back on it. that sounds cool as hell but I get that that kind of fuckup is frustrating.

I just learned that Fred Rogers was colorblind, so all of his color discussions were him memorizing which crayon was where or whatever was going on.

Paladinus posted:

Not going to lie, though, Umberto Eco is extremely FTW.

true

Soul Dentist posted:

Also read Moby Dick if you haven't, or if you have

also true

nrook posted:

There’s a Jefferson biographer named Dumas Malone, it’s even more fun to mispronounce than Alexander Dumas

my favorite author to mispronounce is Honoré de Balzac

Heath posted:

Gargantua and Pantagruel is also hilarious.

way back when I was sculpting miniatures (as a rank amateur) and getting the kind of really solid feedback I was just saying it's hard to get someone suggested I read Rabelais and His World to better theorize monstrousness in my sculptures. so I read Gargantua and then that.

I really miss web 1.0 mailing list culture

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

there's an alexander pope poem called the dunciad that's basically a gigantic dis track, it narrates a bunch of people he hates taking part in the titular dunciad (retard olympics), there's like races through big piles of poo poo. trumpets blowing fanfares but through farting.

also pope once made an enemy so mad that she had his face painted on the interior of her chamber pot so she could piss and poo poo on him every day.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Al! posted:

alexander dumbass lol

hon hon HONK

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
read nichijou

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
nichijou adventure time regular show and a bong

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
where do i read a bong

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

very risky blowjob posted:

go read the george miles cycle by dennis cooper

i realize much later than i should have that even among the cool people in the pyf legends thread, recommending dennis cooper in any way shape or form should come with a trigger warning for basically everything ever. the george miles cycle especially. they're five discrete novels but over the course of them cooper drills down into his own compulsions, obsessions, criminal desires, and sexual fetishes until he hits bone, and then keeps drilling from there. if you've read bret easton ellis, imagine "what if bret easton ellis could consistently write good books"

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

read nichijou

also, this

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I started reading A Memory Called Empire and it’s pretty good.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

very risky blowjob posted:

imagine "what if bret easton ellis could consistently write good books"

I cannot

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

read nichijou

this. read theory people.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Leonard Bernstein operetta was very good and one of my favorites. I like the song where Pangloss sings about looking on the bright side of Syphillis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgXF3zKYT90

Also watching the 1934 adaption of monte cristo for my saturday thanks to this thread.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

nichijou adventure time regular show and a bong

:haibrow:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

read nichijou

also read yotsuba &

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

also read yotsuba &

i've read it twice in japanese, to help me learn japanese. in fact i think it's the only manga i've ever read in full. it's really good, maybe even in english

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

lobster shirt posted:

do u like pale fire

Pale Fire kicks rear end it's so funny

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i dont ever see it mentioned but on the topic of surreal comedy anime, Majokko Tsukune-chan nailed some of its bits crazy good last i remember. been a few years but it anyone else's seen it and can back that up i'd give the show a large recommend

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

the sex ghost posted:

If you like extremely bleak spy novels you should read The Looking Glass War or The Spy Who Came In From The Cold

I read The Woman in White not long ago and enjoyed it immensely

a book i recommend in this vein is Under Western Eyes by Joseph Conrad, its kind of a cynical response to Crime and Punishment about a guy betraying his way upward

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
animal well item and utility spoilers https://i.imgur.com/CatjBZ5.mp4

game owns

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
as far as anime goes i think everyone should watch the japanese dub (for the musical bits) of Belle

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Pfft that never stopped the Diving Bell and the Butterfly guy

That's him. He was the guy writing the Count of Monte Cristo thing.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah, Gulliver's Travels is funny. It's sort of fitting that like half the modern adaptations of it are sex comedies, lol

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pale Fire owns. I'm about due for a reread

The last actual fiction I read was Junji Ito's Black Paradox, which is an extremely solid "you think this might be a normal-rear end horror story, but no, it's Junji Ito and things are about to get extremely loving weird" joint

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Your boy just be rereading Moby Dick these days. Obsessed since I was a kid.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Wormskull posted:

Your boy just be rereading Moby Dick these days. Obsessed since I was a kid.

a grad school friend had to store his books somewhere so I offered to put a few at my place and in his OED where the magnifying glass was supposed to go was a copy of Moby Dick. so I read it and holy poo poo it's so good

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Pale Fire kicks rear end it's so funny

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Lysistrata is hilarious