Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
UCM look pretty boss. too bad I can't just take wings of fighter/bombers and strafe all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwosge
Dec 6, 2005

Lincoln-fish, the most powerful of all the Lincoln based animals.

Feeple posted:

UCM look pretty boss. too bad I can't just take wings of fighter/bombers and strafe all day.

Thats what the US did in Desert Shield. Make a mission where half or 3/4ths of your army is fighters and spend 4 turns strafing the poo poo out of stuff. Then have the ground force come in Desert Storm style.

Kwosge fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 18, 2012

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Kwosge posted:

Thats what the US did in Desert Shield. Make a mission where half or 3/4ths of your army is fighters and spend 4 turns strafing the poo poo out of stuff. Then have the ground force come in Desert Storm style.
This sounds far better than it probably was.

Kwosge
Dec 6, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

This sounds far better than it probably was.

What do you mean?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The idea of spending four turns bombing the gently caress out of something sounds great, but I can imagine it being a bit frustrating for the other player? I have no idea what the game is like though, so I may be better than I'm thinking.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Flipswitch posted:

The idea of spending four turns bombing the gently caress out of something sounds great, but I can imagine it being a bit frustrating for the other player? I have no idea what the game is like though, so I may be better than I'm thinking.

There are dedicated anti-air tanks and such, so an aerial attack/defend mission with heavy skyscrapers and such could be potentially fun. Without concrete rules though, who knows.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

And from one of his Q&A responses it sounds like you'll have to roll to see when aircraft come in.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
It sounds like it might be in the vein of Flames of War. You buy air support as a pool of dice, and roll to see if they come in on your turn. If they do, they make a strafing run, and your opponent gets to try to shoot them as they come if he can. In FoW, the dice pool shrinks each time you use it as well, but you effectively have infinite planes, they just make a run, then fly off until you call in more air support.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah, that's what came to mind when I read that.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
It could be interesting to play a couple of games following the dropship's descent onto a planet/planetfall. Have one game up in the air with interception and dogfighting; then a second ground action with any invading forces that broke through.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

No Pun Intended posted:

It could be interesting to play a couple of games following the dropship's descent onto a planet/planetfall. Have one game up in the air with interception and dogfighting; then a second ground action with any invading forces that broke through.

gently caress it just go all the way and do space navy battles

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

S.J. posted:

:stare:

:stare::fh:

I'd play it.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

S.J. posted:

As in start from gaining orbital superiority and the eventual invasion? I agree with the previous sentiments.

:stare:

:stare::fh:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
The one thing I don't like about the designs is the preponderance of grilles on all of the UCM and PHR vehicles. They aren't really placed in a position that makes sense, and it gives off the impression that they were added as details for details sake rather than as a conscious design decision.

I like the UCM APC and the PHR tanks, the UCM MBT looks pretty fugly and I think they should have stuck to a more conventional design there, seeing as how the rest of the faction is pretty bog-standard in design.

I don't really like the dropships very much. They were clearly designed to look good lifting stuff around, but I feel the design suffers a lot as a result. The alien flying portals look rad though.

The one thing of concern is the price, as many others have pointed out. One thing I've seen from my own foray into the 6mm wargaming scene is that the player base there is extremely tight-fisted and it's difficult to compete with existing manufacturers who can sell entire tank companies for the price of a pair of the Dropzone ones. Case in point would be Old Crow Models, who sell 6mm Hammer's Slammers hovertanks at GBP3.00 for a pack of 4 (http://www.oldcrowmodels.co.uk/6hamm.htm) Granted they're smaller than the 10mm Dropzone, but the price differential is massive.

Having said that, as they're tying their models to a game and trying to sell the whole lot as a complete package, they may get over the price hump by simply marketing to a new population of gamers rather than to the existing 6mm grognards.

IMHO I feel the price is set high due to the 3D-printing used to output the models, and the fact that they contain more parts than they ought to have for that scale.

The buildings and terrain shots they've done are really awesome though, and I can't wait for the terrain to come out. I may not get the miniatures, but as long as the terrain's at least decently costed, I will pick up a building or two.

Kwosge
Dec 6, 2005

Well, I just did my preorder.

Got:
Rule Book
Small PHR battle force
Small not-eldar battle force

Edit:

I had 'not-Eldar/Protoss' but I deleted the Protoss part because I didn't want to check my spelling.
vvvv

Kwosge fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 22, 2012

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Kwosge posted:

Well, I just did my preorder.

Got:
Rule Book
Small PHR battle force
Small not-eldar battle force

You mean not Protoss :smug:

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Pre-ordered my UCM. Just wanna paint space planes, really.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

No Pun Intended posted:

Not a minis game (by default, anyways, you can play it as one if you want) but BattleTech has rules for fully-integrated space combat, atmospheric combat, and ground combat taking place simultaneously complete with landing troops, dropping troops from orbit/air, as well as orbital bombardment and anti-orbital fire.

The minis aren't as pretty though.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

The minis aren't as pretty though.
This is sadly true. I have nothing but respect for IWM/Ral Partha, but Catalyst could do so much better.

The PHR everything for this game is so pretty. If only there was a decent game/hobby shoppe nearby...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Some dude with a blog got to play this game, and reviewed it. Might be a shill, i havent actually had a chance to read the entirety of it, but you guys can:

http://theshellcase.co.uk/2012/06/24/a-first-look-at-drop-zone-commander/

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's hard to tell when he doesn't give much detail or use his own photos. That seems to be his reviewing style. I'm sure he's at least seen the stuff first hand, though.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

PaintVagrant posted:

Some dude with a blog got to play this game, and reviewed it. Might be a shill, i havent actually had a chance to read the entirety of it, but you guys can:

http://theshellcase.co.uk/2012/06/24/a-first-look-at-drop-zone-commander/

That's Phil, his reviews are pretty honest :)

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Looking forward to this, the PHR stuff looks great. I love the "lets make everything look like ED-209" aesthetic. Some of the ships are a bit penisesque but you take the bad with the good. My wee gaming circle are all pretty excited by this, a few have already coughed up for their preorders.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Any word on the 5th faction yet?

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 30, 2012

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Any word on the 5th faction yet?

Put your Kickstarter in the main thread, you are off the hook because:

1. You edited without being yelled at.

and

2. Without the report I would not have clicked on this thread; this game looks amazing. 10mm SciFi makes me kind of swoony. I have not wanted to buy minis in like a decade, but these are awesome.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Sorry sir (or madame) it won't happen again.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Winson_Paine posted:

Put your Kickstarter in the main thread, you are off the hook because:

1. You edited without being yelled at.

and

2. Without the report I would not have clicked on this thread; this game looks amazing. 10mm SciFi makes me kind of swoony. I have not wanted to buy minis in like a decade, but these are awesome.

Here's hoping the rules hold up!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Mikael Kreoss posted:

Here's hoping the rules hold up!

This times a million. I will feel so sad for this guy after putting all this effort into the game if the rules don't lay a good foundation :smith:

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
I really wanted to get behind this game, but the entry price seems way too high. Especially when in interviews the guy said that the prices would be comparatively cheaper than GW. It does look like the quality is better, but the prices are around the same as Epic. I don't have the option of getting one army starter and going to my LGS because I don't have one - a skirmish-style set with basic rules would have been great, but he says that the game just won't work in that way.

I'm still interested, but at these prices I'm not going to become an early adopter.

Also the scourge look like those scanner things from The Matrix.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^Sadly the plight of many otherwise awesome games :(

I want to play it, but at that price I know not many others at my store will play it, so why bother?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Sab669 posted:

^Sadly the plight of many otherwise awesome games :(

I want to play it, but at that price I know not many others at my store will play it, so why bother?
Lord knows I've been burned by that before. Pulp City, Uncharted Seas, Firestorm Armada... They all had a few folks buy in, and the game dries up in a few weeks like water in the Arizona summer.

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
My friend's dad collects N-Scale miniature models which is apparently the scale that Drop Zone Commander uses(according to their site on scenery). If we collect and start playing that army I wonder if his dad will allow us to suddenly have alien invasion and warzone disrupting his dad's otherwise peaceful landscape and train set.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

INCOMING!

Looks like the Dropzone got published and with a kickass cover.

They also published some free buildings to download and print for any 10mm scifi/modern game:

(Click it for link)

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

jammu posted:

INCOMING!

Looks like the Dropzone got published and with a kickass cover.

They also published some free buildings to download and print for any 10mm scifi/modern game:

(Click it for link)

That cover is rad as gently caress

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

In the far flung future, there is nothing but war. War and hoops.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Fix posted:

In the far flung future, there is nothing but war. War and hoops.

Charles Barkley: Shut Up and Dropzone: Gaiden

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Is that really what most US cities look like or something? big gently caress off grids? I always thought that was a joke.

e: cover owns too.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Flipswitch posted:

Is that really what most US cities look like or something? big gently caress off grids? I always thought that was a joke.

British game maker makes sci-fi miniatures game. Uses city plans from majority of US cities.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Flipswitch posted:

Chicago has a really awesome grid system. A guy from the company I'm freelancing for explained it to me when I went over there.

It's not just in the US, either.

The most samey-looking city I've ever seen is Barcelona, which looks kind of like a motherboard, and the creepiest I've experienced is Milton Keynes in the UK, but that's because the roads connecting each roundabout in the grid have embankments on either side so all you see are the same grassy hills and then another circle to drive around. It's absolutely nightmarish, and that's not even considering the locals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

IrvingWashington posted:

...and the creepiest I've experienced is Milton Keynes in the UK, but that's because the roads connecting each roundabout in the grid have embankments on either side so all you see are the same grassy hills and then another circle to drive around. It's absolutely nightmarish, and that's not even considering the locals.

Oi, I resent that :mad:

The grid system is pretty funky for getting around traffic hot spots, accidents, etc. - usual route busy? Just go round the problem spot. Also, in MK's defence, the trees and embankments lining every road are to help tone down traffic noise for residents, once you get into the nitty gritty streets, it gets a lot prettier in places :)

Plus roundabouts keep the traffic flowing a drat sight better than lights.

Obligatory Milton Keynes defence over and done with, that's a pretty funky book cover. A friend has ordered it so looking forward to hearing his thoughts on it.

• Locked thread