Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Where do you get your dental plaster for casting Hirst Arts?

http://www.atlanticdentalsupply.com/

About 70 bucks for 50 pounds of Merlin's Magic shipped to Atlanta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

If you can't find dental plaster, I've heard good things about Herculite.. not used it myself so I can't comment, but it was what I was looking at using when I was dabbling with making basic molds.

Quick google should give you some results to work with.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

enri posted:

There is a few options (duct tape, etc.) but there's no neat and tidy way of doing it that would satisfy my perfectionist tendencies :)

MDF is cheap yea, but the time spent painting / laying texture down / etc. means I only want to do it once :(

If you've got a rotary tool, I've heard that using it to buff/polish the edges of MDF works pretty well to preventing it from flaking away with wear. Additionally/alternatively, drywall joint compound will smooth and harden the edges of the MDF well, and then take paint like a champ so you can put a coat of varnish/whatever over top.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Hubis posted:

If you've got a rotary tool, I've heard that using it to buff/polish the edges of MDF works pretty well to preventing it from flaking away with wear. Additionally/alternatively, drywall joint compound will smooth and harden the edges of the MDF well, and then take paint like a champ so you can put a coat of varnish/whatever over top.

or just put a slight curved lip on both sides (much less prominent C shape edges) so it slides in and out.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
If you want some shipping containers you can get 2 for $15 for the next 13 hours.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/dfg0..._eid=60945e54fe

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Where do you get your dental plaster for casting Hirst Arts?

I think I used these guys...7-8 years ago. :psyduck:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Iris of Ether posted:

Hey, I live in MA. I've been meaning to order some dental plaster for a while now, this is gonna be super handy in a month or so.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Iris of Ether posted:

Excellent, being in New Hampshire means these guys aren't out of reach!

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I should probably also post this thread, too, then - it seems to have some UK recommendations, for anyone to whom that's relevant.

Edit: While I'm here, I picked up some mixes-up-as-gray Excalibur plaster from the Clint site. The light gray is rather light, so it's still pretty obvious if stuff gets chipped. Go darker (or dye the plaster yourself) if you're concerned about that.

I found the Excalibur is noticeably stronger than the Merlin's Magic that I tried, but Merlin's isn't particularly weak, either. Plus, Merlin's seemed like it held detail a little more easily. I get bubbling pretty often with the Excalibur's.

Of course, I neither have a vibration table nor do I usually spray my molds down with a surface tension reducer, so you may have better results if you're less lazy about things!

Iris of Ether fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 30, 2013

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
While we're talking plaster casting, I'd recommend people go buy some plastic syringes. Since I'm injecting the plaster right into the mold cavities, I have significantly less waste now, and it also cuts down on my bubble problems. They wash up pretty easily, too.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I love me some terrain, but am beginning to feel a bit inadequate. Still, let's have a scrounge for some not-terrible pieces. I can make everyone else feel better, and it's still more painted than most of my regular opponents' terrain. My approach is to hoard random pieces, then put them together.

A simple one, pan scourers stapled/glued in half, slather on glue, roll in flock. Got a hedge.

A work in progress on a Dark Eldar Webway Portal marker, and some random techy-generator. The body of the generator is the cap from a toner cartridge and the base of the portal is the base of a disposable wine glass.

WIP again. My ponds are not very impressive and a lesson in why you don't use standard PVA glue for the water. with a little tweaking it might make good ice though.
The rocks are polystyrene smeared with some liquid plastic stuff I got ages ago that makes a rocky texture when it dries and makes them much firmer. Still need to paint them though.

Well, this counts as terrain now, unless I feel like strapping some wheels to it...
But in seriousness, the marbling effect I quite like. I did it in a similar way as the lava here:

Paint it all in lava smears, then cover most of it over, which I might scale up to making lava floes. That'll work for the edges, but what's a good way of doing the big channels?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hubis posted:

JEEVES420 posted:

or just put a slight curved lip on both sides (much less prominent C shape edges) so it slides in and out.

I'm liking the latter of these two options :) I'll see if I can break out the hand sander on it once I've given the sand a sealing coat of glue or two (so I don't vibrate the lot off with my frantic sanding :v:)

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
So, I got a Zuzzy mat the other day, and decided to start working on it today.

I began with a sponge brush, but quickly said gently caress that and moved my airbrush out of my office so I could use that, MUCH FASTER. Also was using Createx Performance Reducer and was shooting interior house paint (the green) through my airbrush with no issues at all. 1:2 ratio Paint:Reducer

The base coat is done, now for a lot of dry-brushing, pick out some rocks, and then to add some flocking.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Do those things hold paint very well if you roll them up? I feel like the poo poo would just flake off in sheets after you toss the mat around a few times.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Do those things hold paint very well if you roll them up? I feel like the poo poo would just flake off in sheets after you toss the mat around a few times.

Nope holds it perfectly, Acrylic is pretty flexible, that and you hit it with a matte medium coat afterwards and its not going anywhere.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm not sure when I'll get around to it, but if you guys want I'll do an inspirational image spam of the scenery I saw at GDUK and Warhammer World this weekend.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm not sure when I'll get around to it, but if you guys want I'll do an inspirational image spam of the scenery I saw at GDUK and Warhammer World this weekend.

Duh! Yes, more scenery please!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

What are you, insane? Of course we want to see it!!

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Fix posted:

Can't let Germ have the only representation from our shop. Here's my Infinity table.

What is the origin of the poster-type image of the hijabi sister? Also, how big is this table? It looks really, really nice.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Please please yes. I've wanted close up shots of all the iron warriors and scenery since the first photos appeared.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

In case anyone else was curious, I found those Fallout posters on lead adventure. Here's a google doc for your consideration!

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...y=CNSQ2a8I&hl=e

Germ
May 7, 2013

Paper Mac posted:

What is the origin of the poster-type image of the hijabi sister? Also, how big is this table? It looks really, really nice.

6 feet by 4 feet, and you have no idea. There are tunnels, walls that can be blown apart, and you can put models on the trees. Arboreal jugglers, ho!

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Paper Mac posted:

What is the origin of the poster-type image of the hijabi sister?

A paste-up by Shephard Fairey (of OBEY fame) from New North Road in London. I used to cycle past it on the way to work. Might be up in some other spots as well.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Man I love that crazy Haqqislam table. I wish I could play on it so BAD. Didn't you post a bunch of pictures of you making it in the old Infinity megathread Fix?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I tried to document the process as best I could, yeah.

The progress thread on the official Infinity forums is here.

I played a game on it tonight, in fact. The thing has taken a real beating over the last year. I need to give it a little TLC.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I posted this sneakpeek image in the Reaper Kickstarter thread, but it might belong here too.

That's a screenshot from their video on their kickstarter page. They placed what appears to be a piece of bones terrain in the corner of the shot as a sneak peek of what will be coming. No other information about it yet, but... bones terrain?

Kickstarter's here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-ii-the-return-of-mr-bones

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I think that's one of the bases for the one of the giant dragons from the first kickstarter.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Fix posted:

I tried to document the process as best I could, yeah.

The progress thread on the official Infinity forums is here.

I played a game on it tonight, in fact. The thing has taken a real beating over the last year. I need to give it a little TLC.

That was my concern when you gave that thing away. I'd be so annoyed at looking at the damage some inconsiderate dolt did to my hard work.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I just opened my Bones 1 set last night (I got all the big models) and that is definitely not one of the bases, it's got a definite cave entrance in there, and I didn't see any mounting holes for the feet like what Kaladrax has. Pretty sure that's going to be terrain, which is a direction they could definitely go towards after making all the bases for Cthulu, Nethyrmaul, Kaladrax, etc.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I think that's one of the bases for the one of the giant dragons from the first kickstarter.

Like krushgroove says, it's definitely different.

Edit: You're thinking of Kaladrax, and that's his head at the top of the picture, on a different model. I wouldn't have posted if I didn't know it was a new thing.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 2, 2013

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Indolent Bastard posted:

That was my concern when you gave that thing away. I'd be so annoyed at looking at the damage some inconsiderate dolt did to my hard work.

Nah, poo poo just happens. There's just so much wear that foam core can take is all, and people have got to move stuff around on it to draw LOS and such. It was made to be partially disassembled so you can move stuff around in there. It'd have happened whether it was in my office or at the store. Probably worse if it were in my house, because I'd be trying to scoot around it every day or my kids would have torn it to pieces.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

I'm glad I found this thread! I can post some pictures that don't belong in the oath thread.

So this is the table we usually play on, I don't think I've done any wargaming in like a year that wasn't at a convention though.

So there are six sections, each measuring 2x2 and all of them match up with eachother in some configuration. So we've got 4 tiles for playing on a 4x4 infinity board, or can switch out the other two, or can rotate all of them to mix and match, or play on a 6x4 space for 40k or similar army syle games (although it's more suited for an indoor/urban skirmish table).

A lot of them have wide open spaces for arranging light/heavy cover in ways we want to or putting prefab buildings, generators, conveyor belts, etcetera around to clutter the place up.

Tiles!

Maintenance

Elevator and Fabrication

Storage/Detention

Loading and Unloading (wanna get some "overhead doors" glued on the walls inside those caution taped areas)

Big open area (might put a road through here, but mostly for containers and small buildings)

Command area

Detail pictures:

There are a bunch of doors and fans and vents around, but here's one of my favorites with the graffiti over some official notice.

Dial is freehanded and inserted though the flash washes it out mostly.

Removeable lift

Fire suppression station

Bulkhead door

PVC and Crochet Netting... I mean pipes!

Supervision area, also good for shooting down at nerds

Weapons locker in command section

Exposed wiring panel

And that's it! Hope you like it. And no, I couldn't have found any more fluorescent socks.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I have some work-in-progress shots of my Alternate Universe terrain oath. I wanted to try and make some plants and environments that were atypical.

Behold my creepy-swamp-on-a-coaster. Next step is adding murky water to the depression. Also, I'm pleased at how well the emu(?) feather fronds took to paint, but I need to figure out how to attach them to branches and still look like willows. I'll play with it.

I may try and flock the flowering branches a little more heavily, but other than that, this is nearly done. If anyone has any suggestions on it, though, I'm all ears.

Brock Samsonite posted:

Exposed wiring panel

I like how you actually used real resistors for your electrical components.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Welp, my reversible table woes have been solved! I textured the first side on Sunday night and I'm not overly happy on the finish, it's bitty in places because I rushed the first layer of glue, got carried away and ended up having to try to patch it in places.

Easiest thing to do? Flip it and start afresh, texture the other side and screw her down in place :saddowns:

Oh well, problem solved :) I'll post some more pics as it comes along.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I forgot about my Necromunda table. Most of the pieces were hastily thrown together, and at the time I took these pictures they were mostly unpainted. We decided to start playing when I had 0 terrain actually made, so I had to throw together a basic set in under a month, the continuously added to it as we played.

For Necromunda, you really want a 3d board with lots of paths around, and going up high, so I decided to have the ground level, a mini floor 2" up, a 2nd level at 4", and a 3rd level at 8" up, plus some pieces that span between them. I made lots of individual pieces with built in connector points for all the various tubes and walkways to connect them, so the table was really varied with every setup.

Everything here is pretty much black foamcore, granny grating and pringles tubes. The texture on the foamcore is just glue, water, paint and a fine sand to make a concrete like texture. Then I drybrushed it to make it look better. The green slime in spots is just white glue with paint mixed in, no fancy water effects here.

These pieces have all been improved since, but I haven't played in a long time as it's too time consuming to set up and put away in a tiny apartment. I'm moving soon, so I'll be giving it all away shortly.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Iris of Ether posted:

I have some work-in-progress shots of my Alternate Universe terrain oath. I wanted to try and make some plants and environments that were atypical.

Behold my creepy-swamp-on-a-coaster. Next step is adding murky water to the depression. Also, I'm pleased at how well the emu(?) feather fronds took to paint, but I need to figure out how to attach them to branches and still look like willows. I'll play with it.

I may try and flock the flowering branches a little more heavily, but other than that, this is nearly done. If anyone has any suggestions on it, though, I'm all ears.

I like how you actually used real resistors for your electrical components.

That cherry (?) tree looks amazing. Such a good idea. I think I may have to steal it in the future for an Infinity JSA themed table.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

ineptmule posted:

That cherry (?) tree looks amazing. Such a good idea. I think I may have to steal it in the future for an Infinity JSA themed table.

Thanks!

There's nothing too special about the base or tree itself, but the flocking is just a dried and grated kitchen sponge. Thanks, whoever posted that tutorial in the Painting Megathread. :D

Edit: VVV :3:

Iris of Ether fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 3, 2013

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Haha that is so perfect :)

Edit: per... fect :japan:

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 3, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Ravendas posted:

I forgot about my Necromunda table. Most of the pieces were hastily thrown together, and at the time I took these pictures they were mostly unpainted. We decided to start playing when I had 0 terrain actually made, so I had to throw together a basic set in under a month, the continuously added to it as we played.

For Necromunda, you really want a 3d board with lots of paths around, and going up high, so I decided to have the ground level, a mini floor 2" up, a 2nd level at 4", and a 3rd level at 8" up, plus some pieces that span between them. I made lots of individual pieces with built in connector points for all the various tubes and walkways to connect them, so the table was really varied with every setup.

Everything here is pretty much black foamcore, granny grating and pringles tubes. The texture on the foamcore is just glue, water, paint and a fine sand to make a concrete like texture. Then I drybrushed it to make it look better. The green slime in spots is just white glue with paint mixed in, no fancy water effects here.

These pieces have all been improved since, but I haven't played in a long time as it's too time consuming to set up and put away in a tiny apartment. I'm moving soon, so I'll be giving it all away shortly.

Dibs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Double Dibs!