Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Look at that crowd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

60-Day DL.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Is it May yet? :(

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

davecrazy posted:

Is it May yet? :(

I haven't wanted a video game so badly before :smith:

I need to bring fake Twins to glory

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.
Holy poo poo. Those fans. I switched from 360 to the PS4 so this will be my first time with The Show and I can not be more excited.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Welp, goodbye $60. Goodbye $500 in order to use item purchased with $60.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

rickiep00h posted:

One of us...one of us...

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

davecrazy posted:

One of us...one of us...

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

rickiep00h posted:

Same for me lol!

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Has there been any word on the PS4 version being cross buy with the Vita version? Was that a thing with previous PS3/Vita versions?

Would love to be able to have it on both, but it would mean buying it on my UK account which would cost a bit more than on my US account.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

The crowd looks cool but why are half of them staring in a random direction

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Goetta posted:

Unannounced feature: drunks fighting in the crowd

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Goetta posted:

Typical Orioles fans! :)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

PS4 is only $400 :eng101:

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Raffles posted:

Has there been any word on the PS4 version being cross buy with the Vita version? Was that a thing with previous PS3/Vita versions?

Would love to be able to have it on both, but it would mean buying it on my UK account which would cost a bit more than on my US account.

It didn't have it last year, and nothing's been announced this year, but there's still a chance that Sony does a cross-buy promotion.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Never had a cross-buy but 2 years ago they did a promo for the first year of Vita where you could buy the PS3 version and the Vita version together for $80. If you have a Vita you can always remote play the game, too.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

PS4 is only $400 :eng101:

Regardless, a boatload of money to have infielders with gloves on the correct hand.

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.

Goetta posted:

They are watching the Crab Shuffle!

Chocolate
Jun 27, 2011
So dubious are you running the ps4 league I'm assuming. I might do the ps3. I might just nut up and get a ps4 again. I'm curious how online franchises will be run. Guessing 27 game seasons or so with similar length playoffs.

Edit: also for what it's worth time wise. I've ran a offline franchise with 12 of my friends playing only user head to head matchups resulting in about 16 or games player per person per year and that takes a good 6 weeks. 27 games is a long season for internet baseball. If I run a league that's approximately the length I will be running. Probably 10 or so should be computer which speeds things up a little bit.

Chocolate fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 19, 2014

Chocolate
Jun 27, 2011
Edit: Double post madness

Chocolate fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 19, 2014

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Davecravy ran it last year. Its round-robin format where everyone plays every one else in 1 3-4 game series if I remember correctly.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

We did two last year, one was a two leauge where everybody had like 2 3 game series against everybody else. It worked ok, but wasent optimal. Then we ran a round robin where you played everybody twice and that stalled out before the playoffs as everybody just stopped playing games.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Chocolate posted:

So dubious are you running the ps4 league I'm assuming. I might do the ps3. I might just nut up and get a ps4 again. I'm curious how online franchises will be run. Guessing 27 game seasons or so with similar length playoffs.

Edit: also for what it's worth time wise. I've ran a offline franchise with 12 of my friends playing only user head to head matchups resulting in about 16 or games player per person per year and that takes a good 6 weeks. 27 games is a long season for internet baseball. If I run a league that's approximately the length I will be running. Probably 10 or so should be computer which speeds things up a little bit.

absolutely no chance in hell I'm running yet another league :v:

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
The PS4 league will have quick-counts, right? A full game takes an hour and that's why most people dropped out last year.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

The Piper posted:

The PS4 league will have quick-counts, right? A full game takes an hour and that's why most people dropped out last year.

Hopefully not, I'd rather have fewer total games or lower innings without quick counts because it seems like they'll take away a lot of strategy and chance out of the games.

Anyways, the first league we did managed pretty well. I believe pretty much everyone played their games and I don't recall many complaints about game length.

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 19, 2014

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I want to see how quick counts works in practice. What might be good for grinding through RttS games might not be as good for a head to head matchup with another person. Part of the fun for me playing a human being is learning their style and acting and reacting to my opponent.

Without a full at bat you lose a lot of that and it's all read and react to the pitch.

7 inning games might be a better compromise.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 19, 2014

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

davecrazy posted:

We did two last year, one was a two leauge where everybody had like 2 3 game series against everybody else. It worked ok, but wasent optimal. Then we ran a round robin where you played everybody twice and that stalled out before the playoffs as everybody just stopped playing games.

I thought we actually got to the playoffs and I was on my way to a World Series too damnit :colbert:

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 19, 2014

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Goetta posted:

I think they're looking away from Melky Cabrera's leg breaking.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
for all you vets of the game, any pro tips for a guy who has never played the show before but has played baseball games here and there

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Metapod posted:

for all you vets of the game, any pro tips for a guy who has never played the show before but has played baseball games here and there

Hitting can be frustrating for new players since it can be a lot harder than the 2K games

The computer will abuse the hell out of you if you swing at every pitch. Get yourself in the habit of taking the first few pitches each at-bat (which will also help you learn to read pitches better)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I think more people have issues hitting than pitching, and I'm certainly no pro but I'll pass along a few tips.

Concentrate on only trying to swing at quality strikes until you have to protect. Getting yourself out on strike 1 down and away on the black is a habit you need to avoid.

Try to square up pitches down the middle, get out in front of inside stuff to pull it and let outside pitches travel a bit deeper then smack them the other way.

Personally I think trying to focus on the ball out of the pitcher's hand and then deciding what to do/time it up is the wrong way to approach batting, since it takes longer to make a decision.

Try focusing on a spot in the outfield just above the pitcher's head (close by his release point) and then use your peripheral vision to decide if it's a pitch you want to swing at.

It's not really much harder to get your timing down, and it's really helped my plate discipline since I'm able to make decisions earlier.

Also get a feel for where the throw is going and grab the extra base, online opponents will often make futile throws home.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 20, 2014

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Carlton Banks posted:

The computer will abuse the hell out of you if you swing at every pitch. Get yourself in the habit of taking the first few pitches each at-bat (which will also help you learn to read pitches better)

Yes this, take the first pitch as much as you possibly can.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Unless it's a meatball, then mash that tater.

Chocolate
Jun 27, 2011
One of the reasons I made the comment about the season length is because it's going to be an integrated online franchise this time around. I think a 27 game season with 7 innings would be a good length. With playoff series adjusted maybe a little length wise. Something where you could wrap a full season with playoffs in about a month. It would be cool if you could make the fatigue of pitchers adjust to innings. So you have to go to the pen most games. Maybe a league rule, relievers only after 5 or something.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Chocolate posted:

One of the reasons I made the comment about the season length is because it's going to be an integrated online franchise this time around. I think a 27 game season with 7 innings would be a good length. With playoff series adjusted maybe a little length wise. Something where you could wrap a full season with playoffs in about a month. It would be cool if you could make the fatigue of pitchers adjust to innings. So you have to go to the pen most games. Maybe a league rule, relievers only after 5 or something.

The commish of the league can just bump down starting pitcher stamina to 40 (from 50) or so in the league sliders. That way there could still be complete games, no-hitters (not likely), and still see relievers. Although, I'm sure that going up against certain players (Monicro, I'm looking at you) will cause you to dig into your bullpen early due to dingers and shot confidence.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
For whatever it matters I would be happy with a 7 inning league but sad with quick counts.

Chocolate
Jun 27, 2011

gleep gloop posted:

For whatever it matters I would be happy with a 7 inning league but sad with quick counts.

Agreed quick counts wouldn't be appropriate. I think the 7 inning game season would work well. Are most people getting this for ps3 or ps4. Hopefully they fix the atrocious net code for 3. I've played the show since the first one and holy hell has it always sucked online.

Chocolate fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 20, 2014

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I am one of the many who bought a PS4 just for this game. They still haven't released the PS4 MLB.TV app :argh:

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
I guess I'm in the minority here but I'd prefer quick counts to 7 inning games. It would preserve realistic stats and bullpen management. It would also result in more walks for players who swing at everything and would never work a deep count otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Chocolate posted:

Agreed quick counts wouldn't be appropriate. I think the 7 inning game season would work well. Are most people getting this for ps3 or ps4. Hopefully they fix the atrocious net code for 3. I've played the show since the first one and holy hell has it always sucked online.

I got rid of my PS3 when I got my 4, so if y'all want to do a ps3 league somebody else will have to set it up and run it.

I'm probably going to get the Vita version tho.

• Locked thread