Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Eonwe posted:

Wait what site is this?

Lum the Mad had a news and rants site for all things MMO back in the late 90s. It started with UO and EQ and branched out into other massively multiplayer games that he was playing at the time (such as the aforementioned WW2 Online). It did some great stuff like expose GM corruption in UO on Atlantic and criticise the ridiculous behavior of the community relations manager for EQ. It also did a lot of analysis about what the games were doing right or wrong and I know that I personally learned a lot about MMO development from the site and its frequent references to Designer Dragon's theories on game design. It was pretty amazing and was one of the first of its kind for in-community news and community driven journalism of games. At the time there were the also the progenitors of the portal sites like UOVault and stratics which had forums but their front page news was largely reposted information from the game companies' own public relations. They were boring. Lum's site was different because it was people writing about current events in the games that we were all playing. It was a little bit like shacknews for MMOs but also a bit more focused on the player experience (and shacknews was more about quake and FPS games).

He moved some of the archives to his http://www.brokentoys.org/ domain quite a few years ago but it sounds like it's in disrepair at the moment. If you played (too much) UO or EQ in the late 90s you probably remember who Lum the Mad is. I guess I could've linked the first google result for Lum the Mad as well which sums it up. Sorry for bringing it all up, Lum_, but it was one of my favorite sites back when I was a UO obsessed college kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
In keeping with the naming conventions preferred by the developers, can we rename this Thread of the Avatar?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Eonwe posted:

Wait what site is this?

Look at this cute little young'un.

Lum the Mad. The original MMOG news site. It was also frequently hilarious.

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

Unctuous Cretin posted:

In keeping with the naming conventions preferred by the developers, can we rename this Thread of the Avatar?

Step off my thread title, newbie.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
So if I want to play it as a MMO can I ignore the SP part and just always join the multiplayer instance?

Why do the player housings only work in "single player online" mode? So if I drop $1000 in the cash shop to get my throwing my money away city plot I will not be able to stand outside of it getting drunk while everyone walks by online?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I'm still consistently getting booted after 5 - 10 minutes of play. I guess I'll put in a report over on the official forums if it doesn't clear up tonight.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Node posted:

I'm sorry for redirecting the thread about something not SotA, but how did you get involved in the game, Lum?

The same way most people get onto game teams - found out there was an opening, interviewed, got hired.

Junkie Disease posted:

does Garriot actually show up and work on this project?

Yes, he does, usually remotely from NYC but he tools around on a robot. Mostly he concentrates on story-related things which is also part of my job description so I can personally attest he does show up and work.

Vulcan posted:

So if I want to play it as a MMO can I ignore the SP part and just always join the multiplayer instance?

Yep, most do.

Vulcan posted:

Why do the player housings only work in "single player online" mode? So if I drop $1000 in the cash shop to get my throwing my money away city plot I will not be able to stand outside of it getting drunk while everyone walks by online?

Uh, they don't? There is nothing stopping you from buying a city lot and piling trash in the yard and drunkenly yelling at everyone running past. In fact I encourage it.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 26, 2014

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I hope there are drunk effects like in UO. Especially the random vomiting.

Lum_ posted:

The same way most people get onto game teams - found out there was an opening, interviewed, got hired.

This is a really boring explanation and I hope you can spice up your revision.

Node fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 28, 2014

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
He bribed Garriott with a box of twinkies.

It's all on Dr. TwisTer's site.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Freakazoid_ posted:

He bribed Garriott with a box of twinkies.

It's all on Dr. TwisTer's site.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

So does this game still look like babby's first unity project?

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
Does Richard Garriot ever pipe Rap Music to that segway robot and walk around the office blaring it at people while refusing to leave or stop

Sourpuss
Mar 18, 2007

Chomb Chomb Chomb
Has anyone finished the pilgrims questline?

I cant figure out how to get to the tower

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Node posted:

This is a really boring explanation and I hope you can spice up your revision.

Well, during my job interview, I passed a half-naked woman on my way to lunch with Richard and other team members (Austin has liberal laws on nudity). This had little to do with my getting the job, but it did make me regret that the office moved away from downtown (not really, traffic is horrible).

So to revise: found out there was an opening, interviewed, :wink:, got hired.

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Does Richard Garriot ever pipe Rap Music to that segway robot and walk around the office blaring it at people while refusing to leave or stop

No, but sometimes he goes crazy and runs people down or goes full speed and knocks it over/off walls. I have yelled "go home robot you're drunk" more than once.

Sourpuss posted:

Has anyone finished the pilgrims questline?

I cant figure out how to get to the tower

The zone you want is "Veiled Swamp" off the Owl's Head moongatelunar rift.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Lum_ posted:

No, but sometimes he goes crazy and runs people down or goes full speed and knocks it over/off walls. I have yelled "go home robot you're drunk" more than once.

Tell Richard that he can put a pledge tier up that lets the pledger have Robo-Garriot in their house for a day. Any price. I'll pay it.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Lum_ posted:

My blog is only down temporarily and I'll put it back up when I have more time and every comment doesn't end with "#gamergate #notyourshield".

Actually, it's about precasting in UO, beyotch.

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

biznatchio posted:

Actually, it's about precasting in UO, beyotch.

A little bird told me there was going to be pre-casting in the SotA.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I gotta say, I do wish this game was meant to be a precursor to a MMO since it seems like a lot of the infrastructure is in place for it.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Lum_ posted:

Yes, he does, usually remotely from NYC but he tools around on a robot.

This is unironically awesome and even if this project dies miserably at least we have this.

e: what happened to Garriott's insane mansion?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM109_EbMcs

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 27, 2014

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

ceaselessfuture posted:

e: what happened to Garriott's insane mansion?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM109_EbMcs

He got laid and followed the woman to NY.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Is there a goon guild or group going on in-game, picked it up on the steam sale and have been having a pretty good time.

I guess I'll give some first impressions too:

MMO'ness
Its not an MMO, but it most definitely feels like one. I think its the fact that it really takes the instancing out of your hands. You just play normally and there are always people around.

Graphics
The range in quality of graphical assets its pretty glaring. For example, You can often find some very nicely modeled buildings wedged in what looks like terrain from 2005. Also billboard forests.... for the love of god let that be a place holder.

Gameplay
So far i'm loving old school RPG elements such as the NPC interactions. The quests are also great and feel very open ended, some not even requiring you to know about it in the first place. I've solved a couple of quest just running around in the woods and caves.

Aside from the general alpha glitchyness my biggest complaint would be the glyph system, Its just not for me. I realize they give you a static option, but the fact you cant combo with it and it takes twice as much focus really sucks.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Thanks. Can you expand on the MMO'ness comments?

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Finndo posted:

Thanks. Can you expand on the MMO'ness comments?
I'm not the dude but I can explain how it's not technically an MMO but feels like one.

There's a drop-in-drop-out style of multiplayer where as you travel along, you'll be instanced with players near you in the game world. This is smaller-scale, you may not necessarily see everyone who is simultaneously at that location, but the whole world will still seem populated.

It will also try to (if not always) fit you into your friend's instances, so you will see them (and whatever strangers they're in an instance with) whenever you're in the same place, instead of some random group. And vice versa. Not sure what happens if you have TWO friends who are not friends with each other in different instances and you show up. Maybe the game universe is shattered or maybe it just drops both of them for you to see, and they can see you.

So it's not MASSIVELY multiplayer, with everyone sharing one persistent world, but the map is the same, and you'll bump into random players. But there's enough stuff to go around thanks to the instancing. Maybe.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So can you PK, worry about PKs, farm on land, etc?

Is there a global chat also? Mostly just curious what you do when you've finished the quests

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
I'm not 100% but they added global PVP but consensual. You need to PVP Flag, and then you'll see other people who are PVP flagged and can kill them / be killed by them.

My understanding was they asked the backers what to implement and everyone said "PVP! PVP!" loudly and it was pushed to a high priority but unlike Ultima Online which was something of a slaughterfest they decided, and some loud voices were probably a good push in this direction, "We'd better let people play in trammel mode if they want to so people will want to buy our game."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Powers posted:

I'm not 100% but they added global PVP but consensual. You need to PVP Flag, and then you'll see other people who are PVP flagged and can kill them / be killed by them.

My understanding was they asked the backers what to implement and everyone said "PVP! PVP!" loudly and it was pushed to a high priority but unlike Ultima Online which was something of a slaughterfest they decided, and some loud voices were probably a good push in this direction, "We'd better let people play in trammel mode if they want to so people will want to buy our game."

Yeah I remember playing in that "lets test the first iteration of PVP" alpha test. I barely understood how combat even worked though so I didn't actually get around to testing it.

Looking back to alpha #1 it sure has come along a long way. It's probably the most "alpha" of games I ever dipped my toes into, though its rapidly approaching more of a complete game now.

Pretty sure land ownership (for storage alone) is going to be loving huge in this in the long term, especially once encumbrance starts happening. I think this is happening soon too, along with the "you start with what you pledged for" albeit still with wipes when they feel like it.

Anyway for anyone who hasn't played this yet, it still looks like its about 5 years old but they do improve things here and there. The art direction is consistent and the Ultima/Lord British factor pretty much guarantees it will have a dedicated niche after it goes live. The official forums are surprisingly non toxic if highly circle jerky.

Oh yeah - while I have definitely had my doubts about this game even after I initially backed it after playing the last alpha test its definitely coming together. I could see myself happily playing the end product.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 4, 2015

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Unless the game starts looking like modded skyrim, I imagine the retail price will be much lower than the current alpha price?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

Unless the game starts looking like modded skyrim, I imagine the retail price will be much lower than the current alpha price?

I doubt it, there are a ton of games that don't look like a "modded skyrim" going for $40+.

Maybe the update to unity 5 will solve some of the performance issues with large zones.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lore-wise, is this meant to take place after Ultima IX in a wink-wink way?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

Lore-wise, is this meant to take place after Ultima IX in a wink-wink way?

It takes place in a time after a horrible cataclysm which wiped out the known world and caused its two moons to collide into each other. If that reminds you of games from other publishers welp I'm not gonna stop you.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Lum_ posted:

It takes place in a time after a horrible cataclysm which wiped out the known world and caused its two moons to collide into each other. If that reminds you of games from other publishers welp I'm not gonna stop you.

Also, Lord British is there. The game is called Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues. Hm, I still can't figure it out. Gotta be a new universe.

Also I am really sad that it basically means the world I grew up in, mainly in U4, U7, and of course, Ultima Online, blew up. I'm just not going to believe it. Node is still town thieving in Britain as far as I am concerned.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

Lum_ posted:

Is that a lugian in your avatar or are you just happy to see me?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Node posted:

Also, Lord British is there. The game is called Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues. Hm, I still can't figure it out. Gotta be a new universe.

Also I am really sad that it basically means the world I grew up in, mainly in U4, U7, and of course, Ultima Online, blew up. I'm just not going to believe it. Node is still town thieving in Britain as far as I am concerned.

Honestly, I prefer it to than "The world blew up fuckers its over!!!!" which is the impression I got from U9's ending :(

Even if the new world isnt as great at as the old, and also has elves.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Node posted:

Ultima Online, blew up.
I think UO is an alternate timeline/dimension and may not have blown up. It just turned into Diablo for some reason.

The other games though..

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Sorry I posted in the wrong window. I have nothing to say about this game at the moment! Wish I could delete this post.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Dandywalken posted:

Honestly, I prefer it to than "The world blew up fuckers its over!!!!" which is the impression I got from U9's ending :(

Even if the new world isnt as great at as the old, and also has elves.

Britannia didn't blow up in U9. The Avatar died for our sins, basically.

Actually what happened was Richard Garriott saying "gently caress You" to EA (The Guardian.)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Node posted:

Britannia didn't blow up in U9. The Avatar died for our sins, basically.

Actually what happened was Richard Garriott saying "gently caress You" to EA (The Guardian.)

I remember some weird video about Skara Brae flying into space or some poo poo, and Britannia exploding :psyduck:

Just watched though, you're totally right about the real ending. What the gently caress am I remembering, I wonder.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I pledged money on this game, my mind filled with images of running around the x-roads knowing I would almost certainly get PK'd, of getting on test servers where huge battles between reds and blues would happen when you could 7x by typing, of getting my first tower, of pking people in Destard.

Then I read the thread and got somewhat disappointed but still feel willing to give this a shot. The more they make this like UO the better, in my opinion. The Kickstarter poo poo makes me nervous because gently caress Kickstarter and I hope it goes to hell because it's nothing more than robbery as far as I'm concerned, but all in all, I think this looks more worth it than any of the various and sundry other "sandbox PVP PVE DO WHATEVER LOOK WE'RE THE DEVS WHO MADE SHITERON'S RAGNAROK ASHERON LORD BRITISH'S CALL NOW GIVE US $500 BUCKS TO GET EARLY ACCESS TO A GAME THAT IS ALMOST SURE TO NEVER COME TO FRUITION LIKE A SAD ABORTION"

I really hope it doesn't turn out like that.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

life is killing me posted:

I pledged money on this game, my mind filled with images of running around the x-roads knowing I would almost certainly get PK'd, of getting on test servers where huge battles between reds and blues would happen when you could 7x by typing, of getting my first tower, of pking people in Destard.

Then I read the thread and got somewhat disappointed but still feel willing to give this a shot. The more they make this like UO the better, in my opinion. The Kickstarter poo poo makes me nervous because gently caress Kickstarter and I hope it goes to hell because it's nothing more than robbery as far as I'm concerned, but all in all, I think this looks more worth it than any of the various and sundry other "sandbox PVP PVE DO WHATEVER LOOK WE'RE THE DEVS WHO MADE SHITERON'S RAGNAROK ASHERON LORD BRITISH'S CALL NOW GIVE US $500 BUCKS TO GET EARLY ACCESS TO A GAME THAT IS ALMOST SURE TO NEVER COME TO FRUITION LIKE A SAD ABORTION"

I really hope it doesn't turn out like that.

Are you trying to say you preferred when gaming was about handing the man at the store 50 bucks and instantly being part of a massive immeasurably fun and entertaining community and not a world where you pay 200 dollars to be part of an alpha and most everyone quits before the project is left half unfinished?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

extra stout posted:

Are you trying to say you preferred when gaming was about handing the man at the store 50 bucks and instantly being part of a massive immeasurably fun and entertaining community and not a world where you pay 200 dollars to be part of an alpha and most everyone quits before the project is left half unfinished?

Because if so, there are still Wal*Mart stores carrying copies of Tabula Rasa in their electronics sections.

• Locked thread