Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001
Anyone give up some cash for the kickstarter or know anything about this game? I played Ultima 1-7 growing up and then UO for the first 2 years of release, this man has created some ground breaking games and the previews on the website seem interesting even though its still in its infancy. Considering pledging enough to get into the alpha testing:

45$ gets you

Available only to pre-launch backers, your in-game avatar will receive the honorific title of "Benefactor" to be proudly displayed for all to see (title visibility controlled by player).
DRM-free, digital download of the game
Exclusive Early Bird Alpha + Beta Access (estimated Alpha delivery in December 2013)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wckfc-0WyPs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tKuMvUYzY

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/

Campaign

Raised: $2,620,964

SotA: $701,689

Kickstarter: $1,919,275

25,159 Backers

SotA: 2,837Kickstarter: 22,322

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I thought this was an RPG with optional multiplayer, not an MMO?

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

THE PWNER posted:

I thought this was an RPG with optional multiplayer, not an MMO?

I thought it was an mmo with option to play single player if you desire?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

If this is an MMO then Sim City is an MMO. This is not an MMO.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

quote:

Play options will include solo, friends only, or open multiplayer via the Selective Multiplayer system.

I dunno doesn't really sound MMO to me but that term is so broad now that maybe it does to others and I'm just old fashioned.

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

THE PWNER posted:

I dunno doesn't really sound MMO to me but that term is so broad now that maybe it does to others and I'm just old fashioned.

I just assumed it was an MMO, didn't research enough.

Vith
Mar 21, 2008

Smile
The locations are universal, if you own a house somewhere, it's yours. On the other hand, the game joins you with your friends, and if you don't have any, with strangers. But not all of them, just a few. It also has a story and can be played offline. The world is a map you use to go to different areas, like in old ultimas and final fantasies. I don't really know what to think, honestly.

According to Richard Garriot:

"If you are online, it will also search for people you know, by whatever means it can, whether you give us access to your contacts list or your social media connections. We’ll search for people you know and automatically bring them into the purview of your game."

"Gamers will not have to deal with the hassle of forming their own group to explore Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues because all their friends will automatically be added to their party and they will move as a group through the game world."

"Ownership of areas in Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues is universal, which means that the entire world will be shared between all those who buy the game and the development team does not plan to create separate realities for any of the players."

It will explore the lore created for the ultima games, but with different names and locations. I am not sure how you can do that without looking like a cheap clone, but I hope I'm wrong.

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

Vith posted:

The locations are universal, if you own a house somewhere, it's yours. On the other hand, the game joins you with your friends, and if you don't have any, with strangers. But not all of them, just a few. It also has a story and can be played offline. The world is a map you use to go to different areas, like in old ultimas and final fantasies. I don't really know what to think, honestly.

According to Richard Garriot:

"If you are online, it will also search for people you know, by whatever means it can, whether you give us access to your contacts list or your social media connections. We’ll search for people you know and automatically bring them into the purview of your game."

"Gamers will not have to deal with the hassle of forming their own group to explore Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues because all their friends will automatically be added to their party and they will move as a group through the game world."

"Ownership of areas in Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues is universal, which means that the entire world will be shared between all those who buy the game and the development team does not plan to create separate realities for any of the players."

It will explore the lore created for the ultima games, but with different names and locations. I am not sure how you can do that without looking like a cheap clone, but I hope I'm wrong.

Still think im going to pay 45$ for alpha/beta access. I mean hell, it is Richard loving Garriot

Vith
Mar 21, 2008

Smile
I admit I am also moderately excited and tempted to pledge. As you say, it's Richard Garriot.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

quote:

Play options will include solo, friends only, or open multiplayer via the Selective Multiplayer system.

Is it even an MMO?

THE PWNER posted:

Oh, you noticed it too.

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

pertinent posted:

Is it even an MMO?

Oh, you noticed it too.

I just assumed because it was Richard Garriot and there is a Alpha/beta for it that it was an MMO. What single player games have allowed the public to the alpha/beta?

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
You mean THE Richard Garriott, from Tabula Rasa?

Heheheh, seriously though I am interested in this if only for the potential of harsh PVP.

Edit: Looks like they are being very skimpy about PVP details which means it is probably an afterthought.

As for whether it is an MMO, the FAQ claims:

Will this be an MMO?

Shroud of the Avatar is a new form of multiplayer online role playing game we are calling a Selective Multiplayer Game. This will allow players to choose how they want to play. Play options will include solo offline, solo online, friends only online, or open multiplayer online. For players who play in the default open multiplayer, Shroud of the Avatar will feel very much like a traditional MMO.

Are offline characters and online characters separate?
For Episode 1 offline characters are completely separate from online characters. Offline characters can never migrate to the online space. Offline and online characters on the same account cannot share any content.

Finndo fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 22, 2013

nintendo65
Oct 16, 2008

Two universes separated by a membrane! It causes gravity! I have a uni degree in SCIENCE!!1!
Its kind of funny how all the guys who built all my favorite games when I was a kid are now begging me for money.

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"
This looks absolutely incredible and I've been keeping my eye on it for many months now. I just wanted to wait and see to make sure it actually has become something worth investing in, and judging from their recent media output of videos and alpha tests, I'm definitely pledging the gently caress right now.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Just became a benefactor explorer. Got a $20 coupon for you guys too.

Click this link and get a $20 coupon so your pledge for alpha/beta will only cost $25.
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=29302&alienware_claim&redeemcode=lkasjdo98v3no

Putting me as your referral ( alexanderdelarge@outlook.com ) would be appreciated too since it'd bump me from digital to collector's edition.

Soon, I'll be running a system where I'll be able to upgrade you guys from benefactor to founder, getting some of the earlier perks while saving you guys some money as well.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Just became a benefactor explorer. Got a $20 coupon for you guys too.

Soon, I'll be running a system where I'll be able to upgrade you guys from benefactor to founder, getting some of the earlier perks while saving you guys some money as well.
I don't even see Benefactor. Also how many people can use the coupon?

From the sounds of it, it's just a one-time use.

This is why I hate kickstarters, all of these awesome rewards for hundreds of dollars.. I want them and know I'll never get them because I really don't want to drop $1600 for a unique free (free in-game since it's $1600) tent.

But I want to.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Tom Powers posted:

I don't even see Benefactor. Also how many people can use the coupon?

From the sounds of it, it's just a one-time use.

This is why I hate kickstarters, all of these awesome rewards for hundreds of dollars.. I want them and know I'll never get them because I really don't want to drop $1600 for a unique free (free in-game since it's $1600) tent.

But I want to.

Every backer now becomes a benefactor UNTIL April 8th. Founder status was only granted until June of last year and they get slightly different benefits.

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

This is not an MMO. It very much resembles Ultima gameplay but don't think for a second that it's some successor to Ultima Online. Like others said, it's basically a singleplayer game with social aspects -- a game meant to be played with a few friends. And what has Richard Garriot done since UO? Tabula Rasa? Facebook games? I pledged $20 or whatever the minimum pledge was back during kickstarter and played one of the alpha releases not too long ago. It seems like it could be mildly entertaining when finished but it's not worth $45 at the moment.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Every backer now becomes a benefactor UNTIL April 8th. Founder status was only granted until June of last year and they get slightly different benefits.
So, I've still not decided - do you know if your coupon is one-time use or does it apply to everyone who uses it?

Basically I'm just wondering if it'll still be here in a few days when I've made up my mind.

Tomed2000 posted:

This is not an MMO. It very much resembles Ultima gameplay but don't think for a second that it's some successor to Ultima Online. Like others said, it's basically a singleplayer game with social aspects -- a game meant to be played with a few friends.
It seems like it could be mildly entertaining when finished but it's not worth $45 at the moment.
Yeah, this is why I'm a little wary of dropping $25 or $35 on it, really $45 or $55 (if I want some kind of benefit, gently caress kickstarter!) without the $20 coupon..

And why shelling out thousands for a lovely house is dumb.

I don't really care too much about early access, I just kind of want to support the project, and if I get a little bit of a discount off of release price, icing on the cake. With that said I kind of also don't.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
If you upgrade now to Benefactor does that mean you can access right away? Or are there just "alpha weekends" or the like?

Finndo fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 1, 2014

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Finndo posted:

If you upgrade now to Benefactor does that mean you can access right away? Or are there just "alpha weekends" or the like?

Since this game is a single player/MMO-thing, it's event based. The next is scheduled for March 20th. I really do recommend doing it though, especially for only $25.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Okay, thanks for the info and the coupon. By the way, using that coupon basically made me a "guilt" sponsor, I didn't need to spend anything then and there. Will probably upgrade as you suggest but it might be worth waiting to see if the next round of coupons or free upgrades or whatever might bump us up to benefactor.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Finndo posted:

Okay, thanks for the info and the coupon. By the way, using that coupon basically made me a "guilt" sponsor, I didn't need to spend anything then and there. Will probably upgrade as you suggest but it might be worth waiting to see if the next round of coupons or free upgrades or whatever might bump us up to benefactor.

You won't be able to become a benefactor after April 7th so I'd definitely do it now if you want any of the items. Later on, I'm gonna be able to recruit people and make them founders (cheaper reward tiers and better rewards)

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
I'm not seeing anything that you get for the lower level pledges that I really care about, but if there are ways to add to my contribution level without paying money, I'm down!

Christopher
May 29, 2006

Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarter FAQ posted:

Will this be a MMO? Can I play with my friends?

Yes, you will be able to play with your friends! Multiplayer games encourage social bonds that go far beyond what can be accomplished in a solo player game. I remember the depth of these bonds in players who met in-game only to get married in real life, how people who died in the real world were deeply mourned and celebrated by their online friends whom they may never have met face to face. Though Shroud of the Avatar won’t be a massively multiplayer online role playing game, it will be a multiplayer game. We will be describing this in more detail in our upcoming community blogs.

Not an MMO. Just a single-player game with a multiplayer option.

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

Christopher posted:

Not an MMO. Just a single-player game with a multiplayer option.

Im guessing you didnt read the thread where this was already discussed.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Last chance to become a founder for $40 and get cheaper/more/better rewards.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I clicked the link above for the coupon, it says it's $20 with a $20 discount. Titled the "Guilt Pledge", will that get me early access?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
The $45 or more pledges are required for access

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

Unctuous Cretin posted:

The $45 or more pledges are required for access

Anyone actually played the Alpha? I logged in for ten minutes during version 4 but I have too much real life to deal with right now to be able to play this game.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Jerry Garcia's Ghost posted:

Anyone actually played the Alpha? I logged in for ten minutes during version 4 but I have too much real life to deal with right now to be able to play this game.

Yeah but there is not going to be much to do in SoA until July when the combat & AI is added to the alpha. Right now it's mostly a wankfest for LARP groups who just walk around or pretend to pretend the game has RP tools while the craft. Yes, it is really that sad.

Come back in August, until then ? Arch Age.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Live interview about SotA with Garriott right now!

http://www.twitch.tv/mostly_harmless_gaming

Replay:

http://www.twitch.tv/mostly_harmless_gaming/c/4231232

I'm not in the video, but I did get to ask him some questions prior - nice guy!

FireWhizzle fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 11, 2014

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001
Played the latest release this weekend. Crafting/combat is getting to be more fun but drat the zone load times are horrible.

Famine
May 8, 2004
I think this has the potential to be completely awesome...I just hope they make the combat mechanics great (think Ultima Online, Asheron's Call mixed with mount and blade)...I hope it doesnt have stale mechanics (ie World of Warcraft)

The player movement, graphics, and especially the way the cities / enviroment are setup is absolutely excellent.

I see that this has other former origin programmers / developers and just Richard Garriot...

It is good they are calling it a pre-alpha, because calling it a plain 'alpha' at this point would be too much...
Looks like development is happening good and fast.
I have high hopes, I paid $45 for the kickstarter, but I haven't downloaded the alpha, too early for me, but I paid the $ to support the development.

Does anyone know what the PvP plans are? I know there is an offline mode, and an online mode....But it would be great if there was a huge open world with pvp (think a pvp server, like asheron's call darktide), mostly important no-instances....Will this game have options like that?

Famine fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 28, 2014

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Famine posted:

Does anyone know what the PvP plans are? I know there is an offline mode, and an online mode....But it would be great if there was a huge open world with pvp (think a pvp server, like asheron's call darktide), mostly important no-instances....Will this game have options like that?

I've been playing this weekend too and I agree this is very very promising if you enjoyed UO. To me it has Final Fantasy online elements and Skyrim elements (lots of hoarding and tons of decoration options for homes) and the crafting system is great. Even as a Pre-Alpha, I got a good 15 hours out of this weekend's event exploring, crafting, going in to dungeons etc. The only reason I stopped was because my character got stuck in the sewers and the /stuck command isn't really working yet. I just really hope they continue bringing back the good stuff from UO and revamping it.

As for PvP there will be no open world in online, each hex is an instance on the game map. Towns will be ever populated from what I gather, but specific instances outside of those towns will be filled with players randomly unless they're in a group/friends list and elected to be there.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 29, 2014

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001
PVP in the next update, what what.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Time to be a Dread Lord again!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
So is this game really an MMO?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Freakazoid_ posted:

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001
From Richard garriot:

I am looking forward to the next couple of releases, which will include even more of the mainland map. (The Graf Gem Mine was just the start!) But what I am most excited about is the upcoming combat improvements, including our first tests involving PVP! We listened to YOU, the community, and decided to focus on PVP as early as possible, as this allows us to balance and tune combat in PVE and PVP at the same time versus sequentially. Since we firmly believe PVP is an integral part of Shroud of the Avatar, we wanted to dedicate as much time as we can to get it right.
The AI concerns that have been brought up will still be addressed in later releases, so PVE folks should take heart. Though we are slightly shifting focus to include PVP combat, we are not ignoring PVE; just solving the AI issues after we have basic combat a bit more balanced and polished.

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's a non-massive multiplayer online RPG.

• Locked thread