Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Bob because you can use his hair for extra table space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Bob is the only proper choice for a dignified lady scientist.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I was thinking about the doctor as a potential guy for Dr Science!, but once we met Bob, I knew there was no other option.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Bob. The love between a mad scientist and a person who picks up stuff is like cherry blossoms in the wind~

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

There's only one option, Bob :colbert:.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I am swayed by the Bob.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hahaha, looks like we'll be focusing on Bob for now. I'll double-check with you guys once the last two bachelors show up, though I think one of them doesn't do so until late summer.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chapter 5 - Destruction (Spring 8 - 11)

Music: Spring Theme

We're at the point where we've met most of the people we can meet this early in the game while not having enough money to really do much, so I'll be flying through the next few days unless interesting stuff comes up.

Today, there's a festival!

Blowfish ships for a whopping 3 gold. The sashimi sells for over 100.

....Not a good idea to eat it, though.

I missed a spot apparently. When you're tired, your stamina decreases by a much larger amount than usual, so I only water these two spots for the day.

At least you don't really need stamina for festivals.

Music: Festival

We appreciate your attendance! Please eat and enjoy yourself today!

Festivals can be hit or miss, this one being more miss. All you do is talk to people. Once you've talked to everyone, the festival's over with no real fanfare.

Future festivals are kinda-sorta better, at least once more people start showing up.

You can always leave early, but then what's the point of coming?

Let's see what jerkish thing Jamie has to say today!

This festival is possible because I supplied the eggs. Be grateful.

Yep, classic Jamie alright.

My goal in life is to build a cute café and have everyone eat my tasty cakes!

Carl's a bit one-note, it seems.

As is Ray, actually.

Eggs are necessary for all kinds of cooking like cakes and pies, and omelettes.

Oh, this guy's new and pretty weird-looking.

This is the Gourmet. He pops up in previous HM games, though in those games he only shows up for festivals. In this game, you'll sometimes see him around town.

We hope that you attend next year, too!

Wasn't that fun?

11. Egg Dish Note

Lets make delicious food with eggs. A fun note for the wonderful smell.

You leave the festival at 6pm, though I think you could show up pretty late and still be able to do everything.

Since Dr Science! is still tired and has crap stamina, nothing left to do but go to sleep.

Fully refreshed, it's time to tackle crops again!

Boy, this is tedious.

These next few days are pretty samey. Water the crops, chat a bit with the townspeople, fish to make sashimi to keep stamina up, and then trips to the mountains and mine.

I hear Theodore loves this type of fish, though it doesn't look like he does. I want to boost friendship with him because the better friends you are with him, the more land plots you can buy. I'm still far away from being able to afford the other two pieces of land we can buy, but might as well get it done early.

Be careful not to drop them by mistake.

The thread voted on being better acquainted with Bob, but that turned out to be kind of a hassle. First, the stuff Bob loves are stuff like Spinach (which can't be grown until fall) and high-quality animal produce, which we can't buy and would be crazy-expensive if it were. So I'll have to settle for likes, which fortunately include berries and ore.

Of course, once I get that stuff, he'll simply not show up on the map. It took me awhile to even find a berry, and then Bob simply doesn't appear the next two days. But we've got plenty of time to woo him, so don't worry.

Alex loves turnips, and befriending him will bring in one of the most useful characters in the game.

Oh yeah, since I was at ten notes, I went ahead and unlocked the next instrument, the timpani. So there's that.

I then do a bit of foraging before tackling the mines.

Living in the cave could be nice. Thrilling, don't you think?

Yeah, whatever you say.

Music: Moonlight Cave

Now that we have more space, I'm more willing to dive down. First off, let's go over ores. There's Junk, Copper, Silver, Gold, and Rare, in ascending order of profit. Of course, the lower you go in the mine, the better ore you'll find.

Ore is gotten from hitting rocks or crystals.

Crystals have a much higher chance of holding an ore or gem, but will sometimes do random effects. We saw blindness last time I was here, and this time it paralyzes me, preventing me to move for a bit of time. On the other hand, these things can also restore stamina if you're lucky.

The goal is to ship a lot of ore since that will bring even more move-ins. I think the rare ore is most important for that purpose, but even copper can be used as Bob gifts.

There's two ways to descend. The first is to dig soil with the hoe until you find stairs leading down. Due to the game's graphics, you can usually find this space fairly easily by looking for a black line that stands out.

It's usually more efficient to fall through holes, though, as they'll drop you at least two levels.

The tenth levels are different, having a different layout. I'm not sure how randomized the mine is, to be honest.

I make it as low as L22 this run.

I actually luck into finding my first gem, an amethyst. This thing gives me 220 gold, more than any ore. This is the cheapest gem after the Moonstone.

12. Gem Note

A note of sublime radiance for sparkling gems dug up from beneath the ground.

We even get a note out of shipping the gem!

That's enough for today, so let's go to Spring 10!

There's the Gourmet hosting a show.

The next festival isn't until next week, and we won't be able to actually compete even if we somehow had a horse by now. There's a race in the fall, but I'm gonna aim for next spring to hopefully win one.

Crops popping up pretty quickly! These plants will take longer than turnips to mature, though.

Also caught a new fish.

Music: Encounter Theme

It's only the third day...

You don't change do you, Martha?

There's someone here who helps out.

This is Martha, who comes from Save the Homeland. Befriend Alex a little bit, and she'll show up.

She's one of the most important characters in the game for the sole reason that she's the one who can upgrade your rucksack to hold fifteen items.

And where is it that you hurt? Your head? Your stomach? Hey, doctor! Hurry and have a look at Dr Science!!

She's a good person, but as you can see she really is a busybody. She wears me out.

Martha loves Breadfruit, so despite being so profitable I'll probably dedicate most of my breadfruit to befriending her. At least until I get my new rucksack, then I'll ignore her for the rest of the game.

I hope I don't see you in here too often.

Found a Wild Berry only for Bob to be nowhere in sight. Welp.

This day's focus is to chop down the last tree so I can clear some space.

I also get rid of more weeds. Throwing weeds into the ground is fine (assuming it's your land since people get annoyed when you throw your garbage on public property), but I toss them into the garbage can since there's a note for doing that.

My first piece of garbage! Just as useless as you expect.

On to the eleventh!

How helpful!

I've brought out my pedometer at times so I can get that out of the way. I generally don't need rucksack space unless I'm doing the mine or harvesting crops.

Our watering can's already hit copper level, so we can go ahead and buy the copper watering can.

When you miss sleep you lose more stamina. Be sure to rest well.

There's some items that will help your fatigue, the stat that governs how sleepy you are. Stuff like tea and the roots you can find in the mine, mostly.

I kind of regret buying the copper can since it only waters a 1x3 space in front of you, not being terribly useful for now. It's not that big a deal, but I'm using it enough that it's already coming close to the silver upgrade.

If you find any, by all means please send some to me.

You can dig up roots from the soil in the mine, just like clay. I didn't find any this trip, though.

Here's why holes are risky. Sometimes they'll move you up floors. This happens more often the further down you go, it feels like. Of course, hunting for the stairs takes time and stamina, so I still feel falling is worth it until you're down to like L90 or so.

13. Destruction Note

There are times when making things and breaking things seem to be the same. A note of strength and destruction.

A pretty awesome note to get. This is from breaking enough rocks with the hammer.

Sometimes you can find money hidden in the ground.

Not very much, but still, there's a note for collecting enough money this way.

I picked up some limestone in the mine as well. Limestone's not worth much, but ship enough and you unlock the ability to buy fertilizer, which is huge for growing crops in areas that aren't river land.

Next time, we'll probably breeze through the rest of the week as I try to get a bunch of money to buy things with.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 1, 2014

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Eggs and Fish? First thought is Eggs Hemmingway. Which is eggs benedict but with smoked salmon instead of ham. And instead of Coffee, it's served with Rum and a Bar fight.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I played this game for a while before I lost my GCN memory card. It seemed like a lot of fun with lots of stuff to do, so it's great to see somebody else playing it.

On my run where I actually got anywhere, I more or less said Jack was going to do everything but farm. Buy the ocean property, sell some herbs (which apparently ignore soil quality) to get started, and then make the laziest rear end tree farm that doesn't actually make any profit. Proceed to make all my money through fishing, mining, and ranching. As silly and RNG-dependent as the mine is, it's far less tedious than water crops on a daily basis.

Speaking of, is Magical Melody one of the games where you're allowed to skip tool tiers? The bronze watering can has always been completely useless and skipping to at least silver (but preferably gold) is much simpler.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
I found Bronze to be a bit of a time saver, but it doesn't really unlock anything, no. Really anything less than gold is kinda pointless.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Mega64 posted:

Chapter 5 - Destruction (Spring 8 - 11)

The thread voted on being better acquainted with Bob, but that turned out to be kind of a hassle. First, the stuff Bob loves are stuff like Spinach (which can't be grown until fall) and high-quality animal produce, which we can't buy and would be crazy-expensive if it were. So I'll have to settle for likes, which fortunately include berries and ore.

Of course, once I get that stuff, he'll simply not show up on the map. It took me awhile to even find a berry, and then Bob simply doesn't appear the next two days. But we've got plenty of time to woo him, so don't worry.

True love is worth the wait.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang. Your rucksack has room for 10 items including whatever tools you bring into the mine? That can't make it easy to get things out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

inthesto posted:

Speaking of, is Magical Melody one of the games where you're allowed to skip tool tiers? The bronze watering can has always been completely useless and skipping to at least silver (but preferably gold) is much simpler.

Not sure. I'm tempted to restart the last day I played just to get back the money I wasted, but I think I only have a save from two days before where I stopped. I need to start utilizing both memory cards and start doing backups of those, actually.

Glazius posted:

Dang. Your rucksack has room for 10 items including whatever tools you bring into the mine? That can't make it easy to get things out.

It's not as bad as you think. Forgot if I explained the controls, but the C-Stick cycles through your items very quickly, and you'll rarely have your rucksack pretty full, mainly if you're foraging, mining, or harvesting crops.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I like your description of Martha.

Most important character in the game because she upgrades your rucksack to 15 spaces and then you promptly ignore her for the rest of the game.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You know, I wish Harvest Moon games had older-looking main characters and bachelor/ettes in general. The better the graphics get (and especially once they started including portrait art), the more it seems that I'm marrying off what are practically children. How old are the characters usually supposed to be?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
We'll remember that the main character (and most if the bachelors) are old enough to own property.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Roar posted:

We'll remember that the main character (and most if the bachelors) are old enough to own property.

Doesn't change the fact that they look like kids in their early/mid teens.

It's the heads, they're too big. Yet somehow in this case I can't rationalize it away as artistic exaggeration. Can't say why.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Mehuyael posted:

You know, I wish Harvest Moon games had older-looking main characters and bachelor/ettes in general.

Play the Rune Factory series if you want older-looking bachelor(ettes). And younger. :pseudo:

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Mehuyael posted:

Doesn't change the fact that they look like kids in their early/mid teens.

It's the heads, they're too big. Yet somehow in this case I can't rationalize it away as artistic exaggeration. Can't say why.

I remember an art book explaining how to draw humans, it described height in terms of "Heads" And how toddlers are two heads tall while adults are 5-6 heads tall. Another way to make people younger is to give them larger eyes proportional to the head. This game does both of that, the character is about 2.5-3 heads tall and the eyes are loving huge, so it makes everyone who has ever seen a cartoon think "Oh God, these are children I am marrying!"
This is why Bob with his proportionally smaller head and larger body looks more 'Adult" than anyone else.

-Edit- Right, looking at bob again, his head is huge still, maybe I should have said "proportionally bigger body." instead. He does have tiny eyes though.

Zebrin fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 28, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Mega64 posted:

It's not as bad as you think. Forgot if I explained the controls, but the C-Stick cycles through your items very quickly, and you'll rarely have your rucksack pretty full, mainly if you're foraging, mining, or harvesting crops.

Not out of your rucksack, out of the mine. Or can you stack things in inventory slots?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Glazius posted:

Not out of your rucksack, out of the mine. Or can you stack things in inventory slots?

No stacking, and it can be pesky due to how dropping items work. If an item is dropped, it will slowly shrink until eventually disappearing. It's annoying if you get a note after mining something good, as it'll go away before you can finish with the note. On the bright side, it's enough to have enough time to drop something you find, get something else out, drop it, and then grab and store the new item.

It's definitely cumbersome, though, no doubt about it. If your rucksack is full and you grab something, you either have to deal with the reduced walk speed from carrying something, or you'll have to drop it and make sure you can get rid of something fast enough to pick the item you want back up before it disappears.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
:eng101: I don't remember Martha at all in Save the Homeland. Looking it up, that's because she had basically nothing at all to do with anything in the game aside from existing and being related to other characters. Huzzah for tertiary characters!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
OBVIOUSLY we take the doctor home and have relations with him. God knows his paychecks would be useful to keep the farm tended to.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chapter 6 - Treasure Hoard (Spring 12 - 16)

Why does that calender only have five-day weeks?

Again, we're going through dead time where all we do really is water, talk, gather, and mine. I'm gonna go through a few days at a time at this rate, though there's still plenty of stuff to talk about.

For instance, our upgraded watering can. By charging the X button, you can use the upgraded version of a tool, this one watering the three squares in front of you instead of one. Kinda useful with seeds and younger plants you can walk over, kinda useless otherwise. Of course, later upgrades will water more squares.

As you can probably guess, the sickle will let you chop down more grass, while the axe and hammer will take less whacks to destroy stumps/trees/rocks.

Not sure about the upgraded fishing pole, unless it lets you catch better fish. Fishing's still huge since sashimi is your most reliable way to gain stamina until you start raising chickens, and even then it's probably better.

Gathering's less important, but still important enough since we get move ins for shipping stuff like herbs and flowers.

And of course flowers make for great gifts.

I've been saving berries just for Bob. If only he'd show up one of these days.

You'll have to go further down to get to the jewels...

Each day, I get lower and lower in the cave.

Here's a Moonstone. Not that great compared to other gems, but hey.

Farthest down I made it was L49 this trip.

L49 is great because there's ton of amethysts, each worth 220 gold a pop.

They actually halved the amount that gems make when the game was released outside Japan, since I guess mining gems became a pretty broken way to make money.

I also picked up Rare Ore, the last ore type we needed. It's a pain to get, and apparently we need a lot of it to bring in one of the two remaining bachelors.

14. Treasure Hoard Note

You've shipped every ore. You've done a lot of crushing. A note for crushing all that rocks.

A lot of the mine-related notes celebrate destroying things. Mining's pretty awesome like that.

Time for a new day!

That's a hint where befriending the dolphin will get you somewhere interesting. I just give it any Dace I catch since Dace sells for crap and you can't chop it into sashimi.

By shipping one of each type of ore, we've got a new move-in! We'll check this out shortly.

That one crop that had an extra watering has a breadfruit ready. Not shipping this one, though.

Also, you can jump between plants. To jump over stuff, just keep running in that direction. I really need to start keeping the middle square bare, since this makes watering a lot more efficient.

Marthe loves Breadfruit, so I'm dedicating most of what I grow to her to get myself closer to that Rucksack.

Also, the library opens after a certain point in time, so let's visit!

My name is Maria, and I am the receptionist at this library. It is a pleasure to meet you.

I understand that you came here on the Ranch Plan? I heard this from my father.

He has taken quite a liking to you.

The library is closed Mondays and Holidays. If there's a book you'd like to read, please feel free to do so.

Maria is another bachelorette that comes from the original Harvest Moon. She was still the daughter of the mayor in that one, but she was more of a church girl in that one. Yes, early on, the series actually had religion in it. Now she's a librarian like Mary in the HM64/BtN games.

I'm glad I was able to return to this place.

There's a ton of books here, and some of them change depending on the season. You get a note for reading all of them. I'll show off one shelf an update at this point. First off, the fish encyclopedias.

This goes into a few specific fish, showing when and where to find them, as well as background info and some tips. For example, looks like the Cureall fish could be used to make medicine through your cooking tools.

And again, be careful eating blowfish, as we've already learned the hard way.

Squid Prince is one of the four "kings" you can catch. It's important to catch all four kings because we only get a note when we catch every fish. Yeah, between that and all these seasonal fish I'm trying my best to get lots of fishing in.

Anyway, we've got another move-in next to the lake, so let's visit!

Oh, you are a farmer, huh? I'm a blacksmith. Please use my services! I can make your tools better or turn stones into accessories!

Well, that's junk ore. There's no use for that.
Shucks.

This is my grandson, Tim. Such a troublemaker. He's at that age, you know.

The caves in this village are really fun!

The ore that comes out of there is used to make your tools better. Check the tools in the Menu and when you have more experience points, stop by. I'll give you good deals. Keep at it, but make sure that you don't end up exhausted.

Tai and Tim originates from Save the Homeland. Apparently Bob is Tim's brother, too. Tai himself only shows up in this game.

Until you're familiar with it, don't lose heart.

Accessory lets us transform stones into jewelry for gifts or something. Never really messed around with it.

Tool upgrades require ore, the first tier requiring copper and so on. You may also have to hand over the tool for a day to get worked on, though I don't remember for this one. I imagine it's a cheaper alternative than the tool shop, though.

Our Iron Axe isn't quite high enough for copper, but I'll upgrade it later once I've bought more upgrades for other stuff.

But in the meantime, might as well level that thing up, right?

Wow, the mine sure is busy today!

Tim calls it a battle of intuition. But I think it's a battle of physical strength.

Of course you'd think that, you big oaf.

Never make assumptions and always test things out for new possibilities.

Tim, of course, is an eager young mind ready to embrace the wonders of science. Ah, youth.

Apparently the rest of the day was boring because I just skipped to the next one.

These shows have the weirdest names.

Aw man, this one's a repeat.

Also, look at the show title on this one. This show's literally Theodore airing his Let's Plays of this game's minigames.

I know we haven't shown off Oppenheimer much. Just part of being so busy. Maybe one of these days I'll take it outside.

I kept some copper ore for when we do eventually upgrade the axe. It goes in the cupboard where all the other non-perishable items go.

Harvest time! All my crops have grown.

Cabbage sells for 340, Breadfruit for 300, and Potatoes for 100. Remember, potatoes get the same money regardless of the soil they're planted in, so they're better for poor soil.

I only ship one breadfruit and potato since they make great gifts for Martha and Theodore respectively. I do ship all my cabbages, though.

On weekends, characters who haven't properly moved in may hang out around the town square. Here's Carl, for instance.

You came all the way out here to run a ranch? Let's both work for our dreams and do our best!

Again, the more Theodore likes us, the more land we can buy. And the goal is to buy all available land since that will net us a pretty expensive note.

I get more cabbage, since shipping 50 cabbage will unlock strawberries, which is pretty important if we want to ship one of each crop, which we do. I'm hoping to get enough shipped by the end of spring so I can start on strawberries the next year.

Anyway, I have just over 5000 gold after that, enough to buy another piece of land! The only two available for now are the two plots that we didn't pick in the beginning of the game. I buy the ocean one first since it has a ton of room, perfect for livestock.

Also, I finally run into Bob while holding something I can actually gift him.

Now's as good a time as any to show the bonfire.

You can throw fish on it to cook them. It's basically another way to cook.

15. Fire Prevention Note

When you make a bonfire, clean up completely afterwards! A note of relief and safety for putting fires out.

We also get a note for putting that fire out.

I spend the rest of my day pulling weeds at my new plot. There's a note for pulling weeds, so why not?

Another day, another couple hours spent watering.

Breadfruits regrow every two or three days, making them a nice moneymaker early on. If all you care about is making as much money as possible, plant lots of the stuff in fertile soil and enjoy being rich.

All the cabbage we shipped netted us enough money for our first building!

To place a building, you simply move it around the entire town until you find a good clear spot on property you own. I put it on my ocean property, of course.

I wanted to also go ahead and start planting fruit trees since that's also related to move-ins, but I'm kinda broke for now. I also need to grow flowers and herbs at some point, though I may wait until summer to do that so I can focus more on cabbage.

Hey, I've got a heart with Martha and Theodore now! Giving gifts people love really causes their affection for you to skyrocket.

We're gonna be giving a lot of gifts to a lot of NPCs for awhile.

It's a big help when there are plenty of herbs shipped for medicines.

It's also a good way to get new dialogue from characters, which you'll probably want to do after hearing the same things over and over.

I make it as far down as L99, but I couldn't find the exit to L100, and when I tried the holes they just sent me back up to 80-something. Ugh, there's something important in L100 too! Maybe next time.

It got late and I didn't want to walk back home. Luckily, by pressing Z in the menu you can just teleport back home and go to sleep immediately. Pretty handy!

See you later. I'll be waiting for more work!
See you later.
Hang in there!

This cutscene pops up every time you build something. You also get something similar for relocations.

Tomorrow is another festival! We'll actually get to meet more people!

This program's useful in showing off the different effects hitting the crystals in the mine have.

Black Gas: Decreases your vision.
Purple Gas: Confuses you.
Orange Gas: Paralyzes you.
Yellow Gas: Makes you move fast.
Pink Gas: Restores your strength.
White Gas: Cancels gas effects.

Of course, the bad ones are what will pop up most often.

Since I left the mine with a full load of ores, I go ahead and ship them first thing in the morning.

Another Breadfruit harvest! I ship all of them this time since I've still got plenty to stuff down Martha's throat.

The library's closed on Mondays, so we'll actually find Maria outside.

Not yet, but after the festival, we'll buy a chicken. I assume you can name chickens, but I'll double-check before having you guys go to the trouble of naming it.

And there's our chicken coop! Apparently you could actually upgrade your coop in the Japanese version, though apparently they got rid of that for the English versions.

It seems like every time they released the game again, they made it worse.

I go ahead and start plowing some spaces for future grass. Grass doesn't care about soil quality, making poor soil great for grass. Of course, chickens eat feed rather than grass, but it'll be handy once we go for larger animals.

Finally, we're at fifteen notes, so time for another instrument!

And with that, another busy day is done.

Next time, we'll experience a good festival for once and also dive into another key feature of the game, raising animals!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 2, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The way the shadow looks on the chicken coop makes it look like it's floating. A fitting building for Dr. Science. :science:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you can name chickens, then I vote for naming the first one Scratch.

It's too bad you can't befriend a mole.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
Let's continue the scientist theme for our animals. So I'm proposing we name our first chicken Marie Curie.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Let's continue the scientist theme for our animals. So I'm proposing we name our first chicken Marie Curie.

If that's too long, I propose Feynman.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.

Lord_Ventnor posted:

See, I was going to suggest naming them from the Periodic Table. Curium, Lead, Sodium, and so on.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I think we should name all livestock after food dishes that can be prepared from them. Like Alfredo.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Kobold posted:

See, I was going to suggest naming them from the Periodic Table. Curium, Lead, Sodium, and so on.

While a good idea, I would think that naming them after various Radioactive materials would be better. Bonus points if it is something named after a scientist, like Einsteinium or Nobelium.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
I could get behind that.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Zebrin posted:

While a good idea, I would think that naming them after various Radioactive materials would be better. Bonus points if it is something named after a scientist, like Einsteinium or Nobelium.

I'm good with this, call a pig Americium

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
:pseudo: Tim is from Save The Homeland and isn't involved in any of the endings. He just exists. The shipper, Bob, is his brother. I think this is the only HM game Tai has popped up in.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
How about we combine the two? Anything unique gets a scientist name, anything you can have multiple of gets an element.

And if we were gonna name anything Feynman, it shoulda been the dog. Feynman kinda seemed like a playful, doglike guy.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Pretty sure you can name the chickens, as I recall my sister naming them Pokemon bird names. If not though, keep the naming scheme up a little, as we can use them for other livestock at least.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

dscruffy1 posted:

:pseudo: Tim is from Save The Homeland and isn't involved in any of the endings. He just exists. The shipper, Bob, is his brother. I think this is the only HM game Tai has popped up in.

Thanks for the correction! Fixed that bit in the update.

And now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure you can name chickens in this game. I think it's the SNES version where you couldn't name chickens.

So pick a name for a chicken. I'll end voting when I feel like playing the next update. If you guys want to make a list of chicken names ready for the future, that's fine, too. We only get five chickens in this game.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If we're going with scientists, one of them has to be the Eggman himself, Robotnik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Mehuyael posted:

If we're going with scientists, one of them has to be the Eggman himself, Robotnik.

This totally gets my vote, right there.

• Locked thread