Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XavierStudios
Feb 26, 2011

I am physics and so can you!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Mod Developers are Creepy - Left 4 Dead 2 Mod Theater

By the way, I've been enjoying the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

XavierStudios posted:

By the way, I've been enjoying the thread.

As have I. It's quite good.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
So, apparently, Kreslev has never played Dark Souls.
He has literally ZERO knowledge of the game.
GUESS WHAT THAT MEANS?! :getin:

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!

Dooky Dingo posted:

Dark Souls Mod? With comparable levels of difficulty? Please.
:woop:

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

bodz5150 posted:

Undead Burg indeed. :unsmigghh:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

bodz5150 posted:

DARK SPIRIT TANK IS INVADING

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Dooky Dingo posted:

okay

gotta see this

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Well, Dark Souls chat will have to wait for another day because...
:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!!!:ducksiren::siren:
Episode 15: Karma Charger

"But Dingo," you may say, "that mod was a little boring and you guys weren't up to your usual comedic standards!"
And that's true, dear viewer. The mod did not go as well as some, but, oh well! :shepface:

However, to make up for this, we would like to present to you what happens when a recording night goes REALLY wrong.
:unsmigghh:Episode 15b: Residue of Humanity (A Botched LP):unsmigghh:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Dooky Dingo posted:

Well, Dark Souls chat will have to wait for another day because...
:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!!!:ducksiren::siren:
Episode 15: Karma Charger

"But Dingo," you may say, "that mod was a little boring and you guys weren't up to your usual comedic standards!"
And that's true, dear viewer. The mod did not go as well as some, but, oh well! :shepface:

However, to make up for this, we would like to present to you what happens when a recording night goes REALLY wrong.
:unsmigghh:Episode 15b: Residue of Humanity (A Botched LP):unsmigghh:

Oh, what map is Karma Charger on? That's right

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

Oh, what map is Karma Charger on? That's right

And what was the best part of the map? The beginning.
Confirmation Bias: Confirmed. :colbert:

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
Residue of Humanity was great because it was just such a trainwreck. :allears: I can't help but wonder though if the mass spawn of zombies at the start is some sort of bug. Maybe you guys should give it another shot...? :unsmigghh:

I just also thought you guys might want to know that today is the inaugural World Giraffe Day. Quite a weird celebration for such a fake animal.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Soop posted:

I just also thought you guys might want to know that today is the inaugural World Giraffe Day. Quite a weird celebration for such a fake animal.
They made June 21st World Giraffe Day because it is the longest day of the year? Sounds like quite a stretch, to me. :newlol:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Soop posted:

Residue of Humanity was great because it was just such a trainwreck. :allears: I can't help but wonder though if the mass spawn of zombies at the start is some sort of bug. Maybe you guys should give it another shot...? :unsmigghh:

They probably just upped the max zombie count and called it a day. The wandering zombies despawn once the players get far away enough, but since they are slow, they just keep trickling in and can't mob the players. It's possible to both change the density of the wanderers and the distance to despawn at, but the author doesn't seem to have bothered.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Rectus posted:

They probably just upped the max zombie count and called it a day. The wandering zombies despawn once the players get far away enough, but since they are slow, they just keep trickling in and can't mob the players. It's possible to both change the density of the wanderers and the distance to despawn at, but the author doesn't seem to have bothered.

I don't quite understand the thought process behind this.
Did someone really play test the mod, see the stupid number of infected at the beginning and the mostly empty level for the rest of the time and just said, "Yup, looks good!"?
Why even spend the time making the mod?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:
Episode 16a: Back to School
Episode 16b: Back to School (cont'd)
Episode 16c: Back to School (cont'd)
Well goons, in honor of the forums being down for a while, we have another LOOOOOOONG mod for you guys! :shepicide:
Today, we make like those famous internet grandmas and go BACK TO SCHOOL! It just takes forever to get there...

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
Man that was a slog. The first video was fine, but all the gameplay after was...bleh. It's not you guys, it's how friggen' stretched out the mod is. You guys were getting your butts kicked constantly enough that I thought you were playing on hard up until the credits came up. It's just not well designed in terms of pacing. There's no breathing room, even when watching.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Soop posted:

Man that was a slog. The first video was fine, but all the gameplay after was...bleh. It's not you guys, it's how friggen' stretched out the mod is. You guys were getting your butts kicked constantly enough that I thought you were playing on hard up until the credits came up. It's just not well designed in terms of pacing. There's no breathing room, even when watching.

Yeah, I'm really sorry about that.
The mod itself is pretty good in terms of content, there are a lot of interesting ideas and game play mechanics, but it's just so PACKED that eventually you just start getting worn down.
Even in three video format, I couldn't even watch all three in one sitting, so I can't blame you.

What do you think would be a better way to present long mods like this? Break up the videos and release one per week? same week but different days?
I'm pretty open to suggestions here.
If you know what I mean... :heysexy:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Alright, goons! Good news, good news, possible bad news time!

Good news 1: Bulldog is starting a new job on the 7th that will allow him MUCH more time to play games with us! Hooray!
Good news 2: A challenger appears! One of our good friends from school has suddenly shown up and wants to play! He has NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE with ANY L4D stuff! :getin:
(Possible) Bad News: My job situation has gone from bad to worse and, unless something changes before August, I am going to have MUCH LESS time for things. :smith:

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
Does he have experience with Dark Souls?

Sorry to hear about your job situation.

I watched all three videos in a row, and I think that helped me understand the feeling of slog a bit better. It didn't make the video better, but it make the experience a little better for me, I think. Half the fun of these is watching the three of you hang out with each other anyway. I think I would still recommend releasing them all at once if you record them all at once, but I don't think anyone would mind if you did half of it one week and restarted halfway through the next.

Liked the intro and outro music too.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Narahari posted:

Does he have experience with Dark Souls?

Sorry to hear about your job situation.

I watched all three videos in a row, and I think that helped me understand the feeling of slog a bit better. It didn't make the video better, but it make the experience a little better for me, I think. Half the fun of these is watching the three of you hang out with each other anyway. I think I would still recommend releasing them all at once if you record them all at once, but I don't think anyone would mind if you did half of it one week and restarted halfway through the next.

Liked the intro and outro music too.

1. No.
2. Thanks. I'll know by next week (probably) what's going to happen.
3. I know what you mean and we will probably stick to our current format. Why fix what ain't broke, right? :v:
4. Thanks, that was all Jotsam's doing. For the keen-eyed amongst you, you may have noticed that Jotsam has taken over recording for Kreslev and he has pretty much been doing all of the editing too. Mostly because Kreslev is finishing up grad school and it blows. He also added a snazzy logo in the top left and some custom thumbnails. PRODUCTION VALUES! :woop:

McGwee
May 1, 2012

So you would have five people to play with? Or would you just rotate around depending on who got time?

But it might be fun to record your friends first attempts at l4d for us, you know if it isn't too slow and hand holdly.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Narahari posted:

I agree. Although it's not always the most exciting thing to watch, it gives such accurate insight into how much someone might enjoy or not enjoy a mod themselves.

I'm also sorry to hear about the job situation. Hope it improves. :smith:

And on a final note, that music was bugging the hell out of me because I couldn't tell what it was. Then it clicked for me on the second video ending, and it was amazing. :golfclap:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Guess who got a job offer today? :getin:
Tentative start date is the 14th

Also, maybe another double video week this week, but one of the videos ISN'T L4D2.
What could it be? :iiam:

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Dingo we all know it's you guys forcing Kreslev to play Dark Souls and purposely giving him misinformation

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Dingo we all know it's you guys forcing Kreslev to play Dark Souls and purposely giving him misinformation

That's a pretty good guess there.
It would sure be a shame if it was COMPLETELY WRONG. :colbert:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Happy 4th of July, goons! :patriot:
For those of you who aren't Americans, today is the day where we celebrate how awesome America is by driving around in our Japanese cars, wearing our Mexican made clothes, drinking German beer and exploding Taiwanese fireworks! Yay!

Oh, also...
Episode 17: Dark Souls Mod (A homebrew mod)

So, remember when we were talking about Dark Souls and Kreslev having no experience with it? Well, Jotsam caught the idea and ran with it.
There is a small chance that we may have a second, concurrent, LP go on at the same time as this one, but that all depends on YOUR feedback, my good Goons!
Please watch, evaluate, and tell me what you think.
The Real Dark Souls starts here. :getin:

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Oh man, I absolutely love how Rochelle ended up as Lautrec. :allears:

A much better Dark Souls mod would change the infected to Dark Souls enemies though, and make it so that you have to get a running start to jump

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Oh man, I absolutely love how Rochelle ended up as Lautrec. :allears:

A much better Dark Souls mod would change the infected to Dark Souls enemies though, and make it so that you have to get a running start to jump
Well, there was no actual "mod", per se. It was only a couple of skins, the "four swordsman" mutation and using the "thirdperson shoulder" console command. (Mostly because every "thirdperson" mod out there is horribly broken or buggy).
That is why I call it a homebrew mod.
Although, Tank as Taurus demon, boomer as Smough, hunter as Ornstein, etc... would be pretty amazing. :iia:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Hey guys, so, what do you think about the Dark Souls video?
Jotsam wanted to know if there was enough interest to warrant a second LP.

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight

Dooky Dingo posted:

Hey guys, so, what do you think about the Dark Souls video?
Jotsam wanted to know if there was enough interest to warrant a second LP.

I enjoyed it and would love more!

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I think it's great, totally start a second LP around it!

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe
Yup. Would love to watch a Dark Souls LP.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
I am down for just about anything Grizzled Beagle, be it L4D2 or Dark Souls. :)

McGwee
May 1, 2012

I'll join the :bandwagon: it could be fun.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I would prefer a blind one by Kreslev, but I can always use more Dark Souls in my life

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Not gonna lie, i've never played Dark Souls before but I'd definitely watch a full LP of it by you guys. The first episode was pretty awesome :v:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Christmas came early, goons!
For all of you wanting more Grizzled Beagle in your lives, thread number two is officially OPEN!

Click Me!

And don't worry, this thread will still keep going. Promise. :cheers:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Aaaand on THAT note...
Episode 18a: New School
Episode 18b: New School (cont'd)

As July winds down and the ghost of August looms nearby, has anyone else noticed that we seem to be doing a lot of school themed mods?
I wonder if it's just on our brains a lot... :tinfoil:

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
The difficulty in this mod is completely artificial from the lack of pills and medpacks. That's what makes it so difficult more than the special infected being more numerous; you simply can't heal and have to wait to die, by which time everyone is on the verge of death.

It's alright though. I'm sure next time Jotsam will offer up a mod that's really cool but obscure, you probably never even heard of it before. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Soop posted:

It's alright though. I'm sure next time Jotsam will offer up a mod that's really cool but obscure, you probably never even heard of it before. :smuggo:

How did you know it is Jotsam's choice this week? :stare:

• Locked thread