Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Greetings everyone and welcome to a Let's Play Mod Theater for Left 4 Dead 2.

:siren: :siren: :siren:
Who are you? What the heck is a "Grizzled Beagle"?
I'm long time lurker, Dooky Dingo, and, at the urgings of some folk, I have joined forces with a few of my friends, Kreslev and Jotsam, to bring you, good goons, FREE ENTERTAINMENT! As for the "Grizzled Beagle" thing? Well, it's just easier to have a conglomerate name for us instead of our individual names. We ain't tryin' ta be fancy or nuthin. Just here to bring some content to you fine folk.

Okay, I'll bite. What is this?
I'm glad you asked! Left 4 Dead 2 is an extremely popular game and, since there is quite an active community, there is an absolute plethora of mods and skins to be explored, all of varying degrees of quality and "fun".
That's where we come in. Every so often, my friends and I will go through a particular mod, "review" it and, hopefully, make some interesting commentary along the way.
We aren't professionals and we aren't taking this too seriously. You shouldn't either. If you are looking for an informative LP, this ain't it. However, we do hope that you enjoy your stay.

Sounds good, when do new videos come out?
We are shooting for one video a week, but, well... Thread vote says: Fridays. :toot:

Okay... Well, how long is this going to last?
Until there are no more mods. :getin:
But, seriously, until we get bored.

I don't really think you guys are funny/good at L4D2.
Valid opinion. Counter-opinion: :dogout:

Will there be any kind of audience participation?
Absolutely! You guys shoot us some ideas for mods you would like to see LP'd and IT maybe SHALL BE DONE!
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Okay goons, with that stuff out of the way...
Come suffer with us... :unsmigghh:

:pcgaming:LATEST VIDEO HERE!:pcgaming:
Episode 41: MULTIPLAYER EXTRAVAGANZA!
Episode 42: All-Talk Christmas Special

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Episode 1: Old School
Episode 2: Mob O Witches
Episode 3: Infinite Ammo
Episode 4: Modapalooza!
Episode 5: Speedrun!!
Episode 6a: Journey To Splash Mountain
Episode 6b: Journey to Splash Mountain (cont'd)
Episode 7: Diescraper: Redux
Episode 8: Disturbing Salivation
Episode 9: Drop Dead Gorges
Episode 10: Creature Jockey Infestation Mutation
Episode 11: Left 4 Mario
Episode 12: Suicide Blitz II
Episode 13a: RedemptionII
Episode 13b: RedemptionII (cont'd)
Episode 13c: RedemptionII (cont'd again)
Episode 14: Space Mod
Episode 15: Karma Charger
Episode 15b: Residue of Humanity (A Botched LP)
Episode 16a: Back to School
Episode 16b: Back to School (cont'd)
Episode 16c: Back to School (cont'd again)
Episode 17: Dark Souls Mod (A homebrew mod)
Episode 18a: New School
Episode 18b: New School (cont'd)
Episode 19a: One 4 Nine
Episode 19b: One 4 Nine (cont'd)
Episode 20: DOOOOM!
Episode 21a: The Bloody Moors
Episode 21b: The Bloody Moors (cont'd)
Episode 21c: The Bloody Moors (cont'd, again)
Episode 22: Variety Hour!
Episode 23: Middle School
Episode 24: The Damned Things
Episode 25: Attack of the Kool-Aid Men!
Episode 26: A versus interlude!
Episode 27: BIG WAT
Episode 28: Zombie Futbol
Episode 29: Plan B
Episode 30: Yama (Part 1)
Episode 30: Yama (Part 2)
Episode 31: R.M.S. Titanic
Episode 32: Deadbeat Escape (Part 1)
Episode 32: Deadbeat Escape (Part 2)
Episode 33: Halloween Modapalooza (Part 1)
Episode 33: Halloween Modapalooza (Part 2)
Episode 34: Indiana Jones & the Temple of Zombies
Episode 35: "Soop" of the day!
Episode 36: Diescraper - Holdout
Episode 37: GoldenEye 64
Episode 38: Goldeneye 4 Dead
Episode 39: PAIN TRAIN
Episode 40: Dead Getaway (Part 1)
Episode 40: Dead Getaway (Part 2)
Episode 41: MULTIPLAYER EXTRAVAGANZA!
Episode 42: All-Talk Christmas Special

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren:BONUSES AND EXTRAS:siren:
Dingo hates Blood Orange by Jotsam

:ducksiren::siren:JUST RUN!:siren::ducksiren:
"Dread Eel Nats" by Bluhman

We are stupid idiots and we find stupid things funny.
The Real Dark Souls starts here. :getin:
THE BEST THING.
Our Beagle has become overly Grizzled...
"Apoc Peach" by Jotsam:

"Gerry the Giraffe" by Mr. Soop:

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 28, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Posting from my phone, so I don't have a direct link, but I'd like to see the Velociraptor Survivors and Cat Common Infected reskin mods. Both are in the steam workshop.

I've played with Raptor Survivors and it's pretty fun.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Even with the old school zombies being harder to kill, they still seem to go down too easy. The mêlée weapons and adrenaline seem to make it a bit too easy to escape from groups of them ganging up on you.

If you're going to play custom campaigns, I'd like to recommend of a goon made one called Yama.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Rectus posted:

Even with the old school zombies being harder to kill, they still seem to go down too easy. The mêlée weapons and adrenaline seem to make it a bit too easy to escape from groups of them ganging up on you.

If you're going to play custom campaigns, I'd like to recommend of a goon made one called Yama.

Yeah, the hit scan on certain weapons, namely the pump/chrome shotty, makes hitting the head box a lot easier. In certain situations, it's actually more effective to use a tier 1 weapon rather than a tier 2.
Melee, on the other hand, is God-Mode. All you have to do is aim high, run in, swing and duck back out while their swing animation goes off. However, GOD HELP YOU IF YOU GET SURROUNDED. :zombie:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Hey everyone, quick question.
Does everyone prefer new videos on Fridays or Saturdays?
The next video is ready to go, I just want to know when is more convenient.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Dooky Dingo posted:

Friday, since it's not like we can't sit on the video for a day if we're not ready to watch it tomorrow.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Dooky Dingo posted:

Friday, definitely. Gives you the whole weekend time to watch it.

Isn't there normally music as well during that finale? Did I just miss it or was it disabled or what?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Nuramor posted:

Isn't there normally music as well during that finale? Did I just miss it or was it disabled or what?

Normally, yes. Why isn't there? :iiam:

Also, per your (admittedly small) vote, the episodes will come on Fridays!

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO TIME!:ducksiren::siren:

Episode 2: Mob O Witches

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Dooky Dingo posted:

Normally, yes. Why isn't there? :iiam:

That seems to be caused by some mods, not sure which ones though.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Rectus posted:

That seems to be caused by some mods, not sure which ones though.

That brings up a bit of an interesting point. The way in which mods interact with one another.
Some times, a mod or skin will play perfectly fine with the main game or other mods.
Other times, well... Not so much.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Dooky Dingo posted:

That brings up a bit of an interesting point. The way in which mods interact with one another.
Some times, a mod or skin will play perfectly fine with the main game or other mods.
Other times, well... Not so much.

I think most of the conflicts happen when the mods try to modify the same base game file. It should really only happen with that change things like the survivor names and pictures, or built-in game scripts. Mutations and campaigns (usually) shouldn't usually need to modify any files if they're made correctly. There are still many that do, but it's kinda hard to find which ones without going through their files.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
I'm noticing an early thread that is running through these mods, that it's easier to run straight through than to stop and fight the enemies.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Blue Ghost posted:

I'm noticing an early thread that is running through these mods, that it's easier to run straight through than to stop and fight the enemies.

Ah, I see that you've stumbled upon our blitzkrieg tactic.
You see, the one thing that Left4Dead does well is present a risk/reward scenario for explorers. You run the risk of being bogged down by a horde or some well placed special infected, but you have a good chance of finding some much-needed supplies in the process. At least, that's the theory in campaign.
VS mode completely eliminates that and rewards players that completely abandon all pretense of playing the game for just a straight sprint as far as you can go. Most of the time, pubbie groups cannot handle a well executed blitz and will be constantly spawning behind the survivors. CONFOGL, a more competitive version of the VS. mode, alters this formula a bit, but that is a discussion for some other time.
These mods, however, have a tendency to reduce the reward for exploring and make the prospect of finding more supplies simply not worth it. In Old School, you could get surrounded by a mob that hits so hard you would be down in no time and you have very little in the way of actually being able to fight your way out. Melee weapons help, but they are not guaranteed. Mob of Witches, on the other hand, CONSTANTLY SPAWNS WITCHES, sometimes even in your direct line of sight, and it increases their threat radius. In truth, even if you find some extra supplies, such as pills or a pipebomb, they don't really help against witches. The only thing worth exploring for is tier-2 weapons. Once you have those, you just have to run.
Later, however, we will be dealing with some mods and campaigns that discourage fast play and, well... it doesn't go great for us...:shepicide:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO, AHOY!:ducksiren::siren:

Episode 3: Infinite Ammo

Alternate thread title: "I came for the zombies, I stayed for the manatee chat."

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I really hate to self promote, but since you seem to like rushing ahead like monkeys on crack and blowing each other up, how 'bout something that pits you against each other doing it. Enter Speedrun!!, where the objective is to get to the safehouse first, with regenerating health, auto-revive, no fall damage and infinite ammo. It's a bit buggy with bots and finales though.

ldragon
Feb 18, 2011
I feel like the infinite ammo mod would have been better with the amount of zombies that old school spawned.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Challenge: Accepted. :colbert:

ldragon posted:

I feel like the infinite ammo mod would have been better with the amount of zombies that old school spawned.
I get what you mean, but old school doesn't really play by rules that make infinite ammo any fun. Having to consistently headshot does not jibe well with SHOOT ALL THE THINGS!:black101:, even if infinite pipebombs/molotovs would be excruciatingly helpful.
Ideally, you would want a mod that spawns that number of infected but retains normal damage physics.
Of course, between the huge number of infected and the increased particle effects created by Jotsam tossing pipebombs like confetti, I just don't know if our poor machines can handle it...

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Dooky Dingo posted:

Ideally, you would want a mod that spawns that number of infected but retains normal damage physics.

Clearly, what we need is a Serious Sam mod.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Kadorhal posted:

Clearly, what we need is a Serious Sam mod.
Hey man, you pick it, We'll play it. :dukedog:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:

Episode 4: Modapalooza!

In this video, there are cats, raptors, glitches and maybe, just maybe, we learn a little something about ourselves...

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Oof that mod seemed very boring. The raptor mod was cute though.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Donkringel posted:

Oof that mod seemed very boring. The raptor mod was cute though.

Yeah that looked pretty bad.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

I'd take the time to tell you both why you're wrong, but I'm too busy moon jumping and swiping at cats with a baseball bat from 30 feet away. :c00lbutt:

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!
Tourette's guy tank mod, forever and always. :h:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Dooky Dingo posted:

I'd take the time to tell you both why you're wrong, but I'm too busy moon jumping and swiping at cats with a baseball bat from 30 feet away. :c00lbutt:

The moon jumping totally makes sense since you were playing as a Raptor! If Turok 2's multiplayer taught me anything is that Raptors can jump higher and run faster than any other character.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

SGR posted:

Tourette's guy tank mod, forever and always. :h:

Unfortunately, a sound-changing mod would not work so great in a video where we are constantly talking. Though I do agree that Tourette's guy is great.
"BOB SAGET!" :rant:
But seriously though folks, send us in some more mod suggestions, specifically campaigns and whatnot. Otherwise, you just get my terrible choices for mods. :getin:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Dooky Dingo posted:

Unfortunately, a sound-changing mod would not work so great in a video where we are constantly talking. Though I do agree that Tourette's guy is great.
But seriously though folks, send us in some more mod suggestions, specifically campaigns and whatnot. Otherwise, you just get my terrible choices for mods. :getin:

Some non-standard campaigns trying to do unique things might be the most interesting to watch:

http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=20554
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=138790524 (not sure if this works)
http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=22918
http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=27192

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

Dooky Dingo posted:

Definitely play the Crash Bandicoot campaign: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=121138998
I dunno whether to call it good or bad - if you play it, you'll see what I mean by that. There are also ~*secrets*~ in the map. :ssh:
There is also a Minecraft-based one that's actually kind of interesting, mainly because of all the things done with it: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=121121759
This one gets points for creativity, and possibly accuracy: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=176102683
Literally Death Mountain from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=131388679
Literally Kokiri Forest AND the Forest Temple, OoT, etc.: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=133204710

PixoPoxo fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 4, 2014

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Episode 5: Speedrun!!

Thanks to Rectus, I very nearly lose some friends!
Also, because the video is kind of short, stay tuned all the way to the end for a special surprise.
I PROMISE it's worth it. :D

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 20, 2014

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Well, that's certainly an interesting reaction. I guess you're just too good friends for this mutation. :v:

There seems to be a lot of players (especially in public games) that enjoy running ahead of their team, so I wanted to see what happens when you pit them against each other.

You had some great ideas for improvements, thanks for bringing them up! They might be tricky to implement well though, the toolset for influencing the game is very limited, and most of the development time has gone to fighting the game to make it do what it's told. Especially the survivor bots are almost impossible to control.

Also, I totally forgot to tell you about the best feature. You can send the other survivors flying by meleeing them. You can see it happen in the video on the burger tank roof.

Rectus fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 5, 2014

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Rectus posted:

Also, I totally forgot to tell you about the best feature. You can send the other survivors flying by meleeing them. You can see it happen in the video on the burger tank roof.
RECTUS! :argh:

No, but seriously, we actually just really enjoy playing together, so very few things could set us on one another.
I had no idea about the melee thing. That still seems a little rough though because of how close you would have to be to melee.
Also, did you intentionally leave out auto-shotguns or was the RNG just being weird to us?

Also, Piano Tank is best tank. :colbert:

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 5, 2014

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Also, for those of you who couldn't be bothered to watch the full thing, here is THE BEST THING.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

SGR posted:

This one gets points for creativity, and possibly accuracy: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=176102683

I second wanting to see this one, I went through this with a group of friends semi-recently and we had a blast; there's a whole bunch of little easter eggs everywhere too.

Unfortunately, you might get smacked down by the mighty Disney for copyright, as there are songs scattered throughout. But oh man, the haunted mansion bit is crazy awesome

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Arcon posted:

I second wanting to see this one, I went through this with a group of friends semi-recently and we had a blast; there's a whole bunch of little easter eggs everywhere too.

Oh man, do I have a great surprise for you guys on Friday... :getin:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Well that speedrun video was more entertaining to watch.

I realize now that what is fun for viewers may not be fun for you guys. For example, the velociraptor run you had? It must be fun flying through the air swatting cats, but boring to watch once the novelty of it wears off.

Meanwhile with this mod, it was more fun to watch just to see the bizarre bugs that affect you guys and Rochelle being a spazzing military turret.

So far my favorite run is the witch run, between your guys reactions and the gameplay itself.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Buckle up, buttercups, because this week we are going to SPLASH MOUNTAIN! :frogsiren:
This week we have two videos, for your pleasure and mine, our fourth commentator finally shows up and we get to relive some of the most horrifying moments of our childhood! :neckbeard:
Episode 6a: Journey To Splash Mountain
Episode 6b: Journey to Splash Mountain

Also, we are aware there is a small hiccup at the beginning of video 1. We are not re-exporting. :dealwithit:

Fake Edit: Requested thread name change: "Let's Play Left 4 Dead 2 Mod Theater: How much tank can you fit in your mouth?"

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 20, 2014

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
Remember kids, if you try your hardest to make something as good as it can possibly be, you're creepy!

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I'm surprised how well they managed to pull off the campaign. Real-life locations tend to be wide open, and fit poorly for L4D2. It shows in the first part where the gameplay gets a bit bland. And while realistic, the corridors behind the facades get repetitive fast. The last two levels had some very good gameplay mechanics though, and an impressive unique finale. I'm impressed that he managed to script the finale entirely with only the level editor logic.

The level designer did at least have an other guy making models for him, but even then it's a huge job of making something of this scale. And it seems to have netted him a level designer job on a game called Contagion (unless he already had it).

You should really try to fix the music, Splash Mountain has an awesome custom track for the level transitions.

Dooky Dingo posted:

RECTUS! :argh:

No, but seriously, we actually just really enjoy playing together, so very few things could set us on one another.
I had no idea about the melee thing. That still seems a little rough though because of how close you would have to be to melee.
Also, did you intentionally leave out auto-shotguns or was the RNG just being weird to us?

It was my intention to put hints in the game for the melee, as well as for other things. I initially made it to see if it was possible to make a competitive mode between survivors using the new mutation tools Valve was developing, but I spent most of my time fruitlessly trying to get the survivor bots working. Then I became a bit disillusioned and stopped working on it when Valve suddenly stopped their work on the mutation system beta and pushed it into the main game.

And yeah, I set it to replace the autoshotty spawns with rifles, I think my motivation was that it would make it too easy to clear the zombies when you don't have to reload them.

Rectus fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Robust Laser posted:

Remember kids, if you try your hardest to make something as good as it can possibly be, you're creepy!

It's not the effort, it's the scale. If I made a painting of my favorite actress and put a lot of effort into it, it would be a little strange, but nothing out of the normal.
If I made a painting of my favorite actress' DNA, including pointing out areas to make her genetically perfect and what our children's DNA would look like, that would be loving creepy.
Besides, I recanted. I said I was sorry and I have bad opinions. :shepicide:

Rectus posted:

You should really try to fix the music, Splash Mountain has an awesome custom track for the level transitions.

We actually didn't want to put too much music in because of the potential for Youtube blocking us due to copyright infringement.
Remember that part where it fades out and says "And then Bulldog went on a boring diatribe"? That was actually him sperging out about copyright law and how he thinks its dumb.
We thought it was a little hypocritical to leave that in a video where copyrighted material was being appropriated...

• Locked thread