Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How dumb was pushing back the draft?
This poll is closed.
Really dumb 58 11.09%
95 18.16%
121 23.14%
Too much mustard 249 47.61%
Total: 523 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Something seems different about KJ Wright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sporran too high.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

I can't get the mental image of there being no actual plates on the bar outta my head :laugh:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I can't get the image of Tony Gonzalez hanging out in NFL weightrooms snapping pictures out of my head. The S is a misprint obviously.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

FizFashizzle posted:

"bulking" certainly happens at the pro level but not to the extent someone new to lifting will see. For the most part, an athlete is done gaining muscle mass in the nfl once they reach about 25-27. At that point the wear and tear of the game gets too much for them, and they're just trying to keep it together. Strength training programs, especially for skill positions like QB, are primarily about getting back into game shape. They heal for 2-3 months, then try to get back to where they were. "Gains" isn't the primary goal like someone doing a bro split.

Gaining muscle doesn't necessarily make them a better quarterback, either. Arm strength is more dependent on biomechanics and technique than anything else. Stand up and raise your right hand like you're saying the pledge of allegiance. Now hold that position and try to pull your hand backwards so that your forearm is parallel to the ground. Look how far away you are and how tight your shoulder feels. Mike Vick can get parallel. Next time you're at the gym, put an empty barbell on your back in the back squat position, place your elbows under the bar, and press up. It will be very difficult. Even when he was still very young by strength training standards, Peyton Manning could do 75k.

Another reason QBs don't lift substantial weights, besides it being waste of time, is they're better suited spending that time watching tape, practicing with WRs, working on footwork, etc. Lifting weights can throw off your natural body mechanics. Most of your overhead sports like pitching, throwing a football, serving a tennis ball etc require more coordination and leg drive than anything else. These guys don't typically lift weights, with some notable exceptions. Keep in mind, the biggest gym rat QB we've seen enter the NFL could barely throw the ball 30 yards.

Finally, like Swickles says, it doesn't matter how sick nasty swole manziel gets. He still hurfs and durfs around out there before throwing up wounded ducks for whomever comes down with it. That was cute in college, but in he's going to be a sitting duck for linebackers and defensive ends who will have 100 pounds on him that are faster than him and are trying to kill him.

Thanks for this very informative post- I know his play style is a major concern too but I was always surprised by all the size talk. I guess it's obvious I never played any ball sports, haha!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Azhais posted:

Something seems different about KJ Wright

What are we looking at? That's not the same guy?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
N:

V: I hate Cowboys fans

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Hmm yes sound financial investment, probably very little chance of that being a huge waste of money

E: Well I on the other hand think you're pretty swell Chris

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chris Gaines posted:

N:

My friend that's a Cowboys fan was totally convinced that they'd grab him, without really mentioning how that would happen.

Personally I said he's a likely pickup for the Vikings because I don't want to see JFF go to the Browns. :shrug:

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

computer parts posted:

My friend that's a Cowboys fan was totally convinced that they'd grab him, without really mentioning how that would happen.

Personally I said he's a likely pickup for the Vikings because I don't want to see JFF go to the Browns. :shrug:

If the Jags, Browns or Raiders don't grab him the Bucs will. Unless Minnesota wants to trade up of course.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Of course I listened to ESPN radio on my commute. And of course they were happy to push the smoke screens even further out there. "Manziel won't be drafted until round 2!"

And all quarterbacks are terrible and first round picks are useless.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

They've talked themselves in circles and its to the point now that there's so much contradictory information going around that the draft is actually an unknown again.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Rasczak posted:

E: Well I on the other hand think you're pretty swell Chris
:respek:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

A Pale Horse posted:

They've talked themselves in circles and its to the point now that there's so much contradictory information going around that the draft is actually an unknown again.

Yes, and they still pretend that their mock drafts mean anything. Like they're whole business model in the past month or two has been carefully guarding the secret that they consider a mock draft successful if someone gets 3 picks correct in the first round.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

Of course I listened to ESPN radio on my commute. And of course they were happy to push the smoke screens even further out there. "Manziel won't be drafted until round 2!"

And all quarterbacks are terrible and first round picks are useless.

Second round picks are maybe even better than first round picks, because???

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

A Pale Horse posted:

If the Jags, Browns or Raiders don't grab him the Bucs will. Unless Minnesota wants to trade up of course.

Browns coach Mike Pettine basically said they don't want to draft a QB at #4. I mean I know everyone's lying but I admit I was reassured by that...

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
"Mary Kay Cabot of The Plain Dealer spoke with David Carr on Thursday, who told the newspaper that Cleveland is one of six teams that have reached out about adding him to their roster."

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Manziel said earlier in the year that if the Texans don't draft him they will regret it.

We'll see about that, douchebag :D

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Do these draftees think that they will definitely be drafted by someone who reached out? I mean, they have to know that it's all a smokescreen, why would they actually let any one know that they are interested in someone?

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Johnny Manziel will be the greatest football player of all time

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I unironically hope he falls to the Broncos and they draft him

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Chris Gaines posted:

I unironically hope he falls to the Broncos and they draft him

I can't stay away :negative:

He won't make it past the Cowboys.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

quote:

After owner Jimmy Haslam shared that the Cleveland Browns will receive new uniforms in 2015, now there are rumors that the team may also add cheerleaders to the mix.

quote:

The Browns won't comment on the story.

http://www.newsnet5.com/sports/cleveland-browns-may-add-cheerleaders-in-2015-season

Smoke screens.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Cheerleaders in a Cleveland December sounds too good to be true.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Rap posted:

Browns coach Mike Pettine basically said they don't want to draft a QB at #4. I mean I know everyone's lying but I admit I was reassured by that...

I wouldnt be surprised if they take Watkins at #4 and wait until #26 to draft a QB, probably Carr at that point as I expect the first 3 to be gone by then (and maybe Carr too). I guess you have to ask yourself how you feel about Tom Savage or Zach Mettenberger being the QB of the future in Cleveland, Rap.

Also lol at people ranking Savage as a 1st-2nd round pick like CBS is doing right now. How the gently caress did that happen?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
In the Rap Dream World the Browns take Watkins at 4 and a CB at 26 and then draft some awful gently caress to back up Hoyer

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Chris Gaines posted:

N:

Well they've needed a replacement for the worst QB in history for years now. :unsmigghh:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

A Pale Horse posted:

I wouldnt be surprised if they take Watkins at #4 and wait until #26 to draft a QB, probably Carr at that point as I expect the first 3 to be gone by then (and maybe Carr too). I guess you have to ask yourself how you feel about Tom Savage or Zach Mettenberger being the QB of the future in Cleveland, Rap.

Also lol at people ranking Savage as a 1st-2nd round pick like CBS is doing right now. How the gently caress did that happen?

Artificially inflating QB grades because that's what the NFL does. You can have a mediocre QB if you can have a great run game and excellent screen passes with an awesome D, while you groom a QB, but no one wants to do that. Least of all, the "you've got a year" Browns.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Getting Johnny Football to replace him is pretty much the only way I will accept dumping Romo.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The Cowboys can't have Manziel. They are consistently middle of the road, JFF has to be boom or bust. Not the middle. A FATE WORSE THAN DEATH

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

The Cowboys can't have Manziel. They are consistently middle of the road, JFF has to be boom or bust. Not the middle. A FATE WORSE THAN DEATH

What if he is equally Boom and Bust therefore resulting in an 8-8 season?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I really think Weeden is the Cowboys QB of the future.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

No Butt Stuff posted:

What are we looking at? That's not the same guy?

That's KJ Wright and Gregg Scruggs for the Men In Kilts Fundraiser.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

yeah but what "seems different about KJ Wright"?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Cowboys would be silly not to grab a QB if one is there. Romo is old and coming off a back surgery that could really impact his game. I know you don't want to replace the greatest QB to ever have one single playoff game victory for his career, but Jerry should think about the post Romo until he Romo proves his blown out back wont keep him from being the all time great that he is.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I'm fully prepared for the Browns to do something incredibly stupid but the fact is the front office is basically entirely overhauled from last year so there's really no way to tell. It depends entirely on their confidence in Hoyer; if they truly feel based on a handful of NFL starts that he's the answer then they shouldn't draft a QB until the second round and instead use the first round picks on immediate playmakers like Watkins or BPA defense. If they don't think Hoyer is going to succeed and he was just a Lombardi guy then I'm cool with whatever QB they pick in the first round as long as they don't trade up to select someone from the #4 pick.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

davecrazy posted:

Cowboys would be silly not to grab a QB if one is there. Romo is old and coming off a back surgery that could really impact his game. I know you don't want to replace the greatest QB to ever have one single playoff game victory for his career, but Jerry should think about the post Romo until he Romo proves his blown out back wont keep him from being the all time great that he is.

He already took care of that poo poo, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGZ5lgH70bA

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Chilichimp posted:

He already took care of that poo poo, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGZ5lgH70bA

The pure disdain on stephen's face on the preview shot is palpable.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lol "Brandon Weeden has shown flashes of brilliance!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Hey cool because archives are down and I tried to view them, now when I try to view any thread list page I get an error message because it thinks I'm trying to view 2012's Football Funhouse. so basically nobody start any new threads please. I'd go complain about this in QCC but, see above

• Locked thread