Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

LDA are through with a draw. The ref was atrocious and the Cruz Azul players ended up trying to start a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
gently caress that ref but also the Timbers were woeful, so whatever

Can't wait for us to lose to Dallas this week

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
We looked like hot garbage.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jack2142 posted:

I bet Portland is out before the knockouts.

Called it!

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Drogadon posted:

LDA are through with a draw. The ref was atrocious and the Cruz Azul players ended up trying to start a fight.

This is why I love Mexican teams. You either get a good game or a good brawl. Sometimes both.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

All of this was mostly the ref's fault because there should have been 2 or 3 red cards during the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wx1RJBNlzQ

Jack2142 posted:

Called it!

They're not though, won the group on goal difference

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nope, we're out. Goal differential is the 3rd tie breaker. Olimpia is through because of head to head away goals IIRC. Head to head goal diff is 1st tie breaker.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I think away goals against opponent comes before goal differential so the timbers needed to score 2 last night if they wanted to lose so badly.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

highme posted:

Nope, we're out. Goal differential is the 3rd tie breaker. Olimpia is through because of head to head away goals IIRC. Head to head goal diff is 1st tie breaker.

Thought it was the other way around, shame on you, Olimpia are cunts.

Did you sing "please please win, meow meow meow" loud enough? :laugh:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

We can never sing that loud enough or long enough IMO.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

highme posted:

We can never sing that loud enough or long enough IMO.

Maybe the loud singing is hurting the team. Have you guys been singing extra loud lately? Could be a correlation... Could be the cause.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Looks like Pachuca lost on purpose to avoid Alajuelense the eliminators of Mexicans.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Congrats to D.C. United for being the first American team to have the best record in group stage since they made a group stage!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

lol Kronberg is garbage.

25% of the way to 3-1 coin flip madness :getin:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Two injuries due to the piss soaked carpet they're playing on.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

And yet it's still only 1-0. As much as I like Sporting KC, they have to lose 3-1.

Don't let Juliao and Feilhaber die in vain.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Those purple shitlords should be winning like 4-0 already

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

2-0, halfway there. Both teams to score one more please.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Everyone knows Joel Aguilar Chicas is in the USSF's payroll so expecting some "assistance" soon

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Three teams in the quarters :smug:

Mike Toole
Apr 9, 2001

WE ARE GOING BACK!!
certainly lends credence to Costa Rica's current FIFA ranking.

After the latest installment of the annual "watch MLS teams inevitably get dumped out of the CCL" race, I have to wonder: will it ever change? A buddy was telling me last night that the league needs to invest in payroll for better players, to double the payroll, before seeing serious results against local club opposition. But what's Saprissa's wage bill? Olimpia's? Even after a decade of sustained, obvious growth, we can't compete against these guys?

It's frustrating to watch. Hope the Revs can get something going next year.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Honestly the problem with Portland Olimpia is that they came out with super high pressure and we weren't prepared for that (for whatever reason). They were good in the game in Portland too, they just weren't able to keep the pressure up as much. and the goalkeeping was awful

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Can't find any newer numbers but looks like both Saprissa and Alajuelense had a monthly wage bill around $100k, Herediano $50k in 2012. That's for both players and staff for LDA and Heredia, just players for Saprissa.

No idea about Olimpia but it's probably much less.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

$100k, so $1.2M a year. Half that for Herediano. That MLS teams can't easily sweep these guys aside is borderline criminal.

Maybe the problem is we sent Portland and NY?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

How much is it for MLS teams?

e: these are the matchups:

Alajuelense-DC United
Saprissa-América
Olimpia-Herediano
Montreal Impact-Pachuca

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 24, 2014

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
So it's America v. ??? in the finals then.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Pachuca, please refer to the thread title

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Drogadon posted:

How much is it for MLS teams?

MLS Salary Cap rules, as near as anyone can figure. This doesn't include the amount above $387k or whatever for up to 3 Designated Players.

For reference Diego Valeri, by himself, makes $500k. And NY has Henry who makes $5mil, but for salary cap purposes each counts $387k or whatever against the cap.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Aren't the two Liga MX teams on the same side of the bracket? From what I read DC could only meet a Mexican team in the final now.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005

NattyBo posted:

Aren't the two Liga MX teams on the same side of the bracket? From what I read DC could only meet a Mexican team in the final now.

That was only if KC advanced. Pachuca/Montreal and DC/Alajuelense are on the same side of the bracket.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Mike Toole posted:

certainly lends credence to Costa Rica's current FIFA ranking.

After the latest installment of the annual "watch MLS teams inevitably get dumped out of the CCL" race, I have to wonder: will it ever change? A buddy was telling me last night that the league needs to invest in payroll for better players, to double the payroll, before seeing serious results against local club opposition. But what's Saprissa's wage bill? Olimpia's? Even after a decade of sustained, obvious growth, we can't compete against these guys?

It's frustrating to watch. Hope the Revs can get something going next year.

The only thing I can really add to this is to mention how frustrating it is to see Houston send reserve squads down to Central America to inevitably be beaten 0-1 by FC Banana and watch the last half hour of the game while the stretcher crew works harder than any of the players on the pitch.

Maybe our next coach will care more about tournaments like these, that is assuming we can get into them again.

SandersPacheco
Jul 15, 2004

Faster than light
Welp, that was bit unexpected, though we hosed up sooooo many chances, I was waiting for the inevitable KC goal in stoppage time just to piss on us. Fortunately that didn't happen.

Unless Saprissa goes hunting for defenders in January (we won't), I don't see us much chances against harder opposition like... everyone else left in the knockout stages.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Howdy posted:

That was only if KC advanced. Pachuca/Montreal and DC/Alajuelense are on the same side of the bracket.

Ah, dammit.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

SandersPacheco posted:

Welp, that was bit unexpected, though we hosed up sooooo many chances, I was waiting for the inevitable KC goal in stoppage time just to piss on us. Fortunately that didn't happen.

Unless Saprissa goes hunting for defenders in January (we won't), I don't see us much chances against harder opposition like... everyone else left in the knockout stages.

I have to say you guys played really well, but if KC had attacked you competently you would have lamented all the missed chances, need to work on finishing and get some better defenders.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Normally I'd do a "Where to watch" post, but every match in the Quarterfinals is on Fox Sports 2 in the United States. So here's WHEN the matches are.

LEG 1

February 24
Olimpia vs. Herediano - 8 EST
Pachuca vs. Montreal Impact - 10 EST

February 25
Saprissa vs. América - 8 EST

February 26
Alajuelense vs. D.C. United - 9 EST

LEG 2

March 3
Montreal Impact vs. Pachuca - 8 EST

March 4
D.C. United vs. Alajuelense - 8 EST
América vs. Saprissa - 10 EST

March 5
Herediano vs. Olimpia - 8 EST

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
Look for me at the DCU/Alajuelense match next week (just kidding, you probably don't get Fox Sports 2 in HD like most of the country). Well, look for the blob in the seats that looks like 30 people wearing black, if there's any folks in purple those are Saprissa supporters and they're probably with us too.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Howdy posted:

Look for me at the DCU/Alajuelense match next week (just kidding, you probably don't get Fox Sports 2 in HD like most of the country). Well, look for the blob in the seats that looks like 30 people wearing black, if there's any folks in purple those are Saprissa supporters and they're probably with us too.

I get Fox Sports 2 in HD since day one.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Herediano should be able to beat Olimpia but they're notorious chokers so who knows

LDA are pure poo poo right now so DC should take advantage of that

Saprissa are on a positive streak but not sure they're good enough to beat America

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Montreal have scored, after about 20 corner kicks for Pachuca

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

lol go Canada, would own if they hold up

Despite all their efforts to lose the game, Herediano drew 1-1 in Tegucigalpa with a goal from the mighty CL9. He is my favorite player because of his charismatic and articulate speaking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zyGdeiXPRA

• Locked thread