Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Do you like Mexican soccer? Well, good news! The CONCACAF Champions League is back, and is almost a guarantee for an all-Mexican finals (5 out of 6 so far).

This also marks the 50th competition CONCACAF has put on, and a Mexican team has won 30 of the past 49. If Benito Juárez was its own nation, it would have just as many titles as Costa Rica, the nation with the second most Champions League victories.

Teams are divided into groups who play round robin with each other. The team with the most amount of points moves on to the knockout round, which is seeded based on those very points.

Group 1
Municipal (Guatemala)
Pachuca (Mexico)
Real España (Honduras)

Group 2
Real Estelí (Nicaragua)
Saprissa (Costa Rica)
Sporting Kansas City (USA)

Group 3
FAS (El Salvador)
Montreal Impact (Canada)
New York Red Bulls (USA)

Group 4
D.C. United (USA)
Tauro (Panama)
Waterhouse (Jamaica)

Group 5
Alpha United (Guyana)
Olimpia (Honduras)
Portland Timbers (USA)

Group 6
Alajuelense (Costa Rica)
Chorrillo (Panama)
Cruz Azul (Mexico)

Group 7
Belmopan Bandits (Belize) Herediano (Costa Rica)
Isidro Metapán (El Salvador)
León (Mexico)

Group 8
América (Mexico)
Comunicaciones (Guatemala)
Puerto Rico Bayamón FC (Puerto Rico)

US television rights belong to Fox Sports, so expect the games on Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, and Fox Soccer Plus for all games involving US teams and maybe a few others. The Univision family of networks will probably show most of the rest of the games. There's also Fox Soccer 2Go, which will carry every game.

Canadian television rights belong to Rogers, so Montreal games will be on the Sportsnet family of networks. I don't know about other matches, but I'd imagine there's a way to watch them.

Group stage lasts from August to October; knockout stage is in the Spring.

Official Website
Easiest to navigate schedule

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

i won't be watching this, OP

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Alajuelense are being terrible lately so they will most likely fail. Saprissa have been playing well and might make it out of the group but gently caress them.

This cup's format sucks and it's designed to get rid of the non-mexican non-mls teams ASAP. Should be 6 groups of 4 imo.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I can't wait until we lose to Alpha United.

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
MLS is too random to ever do anything in this. Portland had one of the best records to get into this tournament and now they're complete poo poo.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

80085 posted:

MLS is too random to ever do anything in this. Portland had one of the best records to get into this tournament and now they're complete poo poo.

Garber Screwed RSL

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

CONCAF is pretty dumb for the MLS, due to how it breaks down the team qualifying for the tourney is going to be pretty significantly changed by the time you get around to the knockout rounds.

At least DC has improved quite a bit from last year so they might not be poo poo... and I bet Portland is out before the knockouts.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Round 1 where to watch:

August 5
Alpha United vs. CD Olimpia - Fox Soccer 2Go
Cruz Azul vs. LD Alajuelense - Univision Deportes
Montreal Impact vs. CD FAS - Fox Soccer 2Go (Canada: Sportsnet World)
Isidro Metapan vs. Club Leon - Univision Deportes

August 6
Pachuca vs. Real España - Univision Deportes
Real Esteli vs. Deportivo Saprissa - Univision Deportes

August 7
Comunicaciones vs. Puerto Rico Bayamon FC - Univision Deportes
Tauro FC vs. Waterhouse FC - Univision Deportes

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Alajuelense got a good result, 1-1 away at Cruz Azul

Today the purples are losing in Nicaragua lol

Also what the hell Alan Kardek's corpse is playing for Estelí

e: lmao legit goal not called for Saprissa because CONCACAF is too poor for goal line technology

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 7, 2014

SandersPacheco
Jul 15, 2004

Faster than light
Welp, we got CONCACAF'd. No matter.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

80085 posted:

And TFC were bottom-feeding garbage and got to the semi-finals

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I watched Comunicaciones vs Bayamon yesterday, Comunicaciones were quite poo poo in front of goal and still won 5-0.

América's youth team will loving wreck them.

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 9, 2014

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Belmopan Bandits have been kicked out of the competition for being too poo poo even for CONCACAF.

Herediano will take their place, Leon and Meatpan will probably be kinda mad for losing their punching bag.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
That's gotta be odd to tell Metapan. "Oh, by the way, that match you have in 9 days? We've changed the nation you're going to."

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Round 2 where to watch:

August 19
Alpha United vs. Portland Timbers - Fox Soccer Plus
América vs. Puerto Rico Bayamón FC - Univision Deportes
Chorrillo vs Cruz Azul - Galavision
Real Estelí vs Sporting KC - Fox Soccer Plus

August 20
DC United vs. Waterhouse - Fox Sports 2
CD FAS vs. Montreal Impact - Univision Deportes

August 21
Herediano vs. Isidro Metapán - Fox Soccer 2Go (presumably, with Herediano being a last-minute add who knows)
Real España vs Municipal - Univision Deportes

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 19, 2014

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

quote:

Alpha United Needs an Overall Improvement

AUGUST 12, 2014 | BY CHRIS | FILED UNDER SPORTS 

Dear Sir,
In all due fairness to local club champions Alpha United, whose 0-1 loss to Honduran club-side, Deportivo Olimpia, in the CONCACAF Champions League on 05.08.14 at the National Stadium, Providence, Editor, in my estimation there must be an overall improvement by the locals if they are to make an impact, in their remaining home match in less than 2 weeks (19.08.14) against USA’s Portland Timbers, at the same venue.
Firstly, from an administrative perspective, the marketing of the game was extremely poor.
Wherein apart from the electronic advertisements, on radio and television stations/channels; which is very costly, since peak periods attract a higher rate than off-peak despite a 30 seconds timeframe.
However, what was most alarming is the virtual non use of the print media, comprising of the daily newspapers.
Wherein strip ads on the back page, that is normally sports oriented, definitely would have attracted more paying spectators.
In addition to pre-match write-ups, highlighting Honduras’ previous World Cup appearances including the recently concluded 20th edition, in neighbouring Brazil. How many players from the visiting cub are national players, and how many went to the World Cup? The club’s status i.e. national titles won and participation in previous CONCACAF Club Championships with the relevant successes.
Secondly, from a technical stand point, strategically with the ongoing WICB regional youth competition being played in Guyana, and the National Stadium, Providence, as a venue, automatically, the playing area at the stadium, would have a billiard like surface, meaning passes would come on faster.
As such Alpha should have resorted to training on an asphalted surface (concrete) where the ball would come on faster. And please don’t mention physical damage to joints, since perusal of an Ajax of Amsterdam, Netherlands training manual would indicate training on asphalted surface! Footwear, in terms of turf boots should have also being taken into consideration towards maintaining proper equilibrium, especially the cricket pitch area that is almost devoid of grass with descending dew!
Thirdly, from a tactical perspective a practice match against a Central American opponent, i.e. a club side from El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua or Panama!
But definitely not from within CFU, including Suriname, since the standard of play would have been unacceptable!
In the final analysis the visitors tactically and technically were ahead of Alpha United, especially with quick acceleration down the flanks; winning aerial battles; accurate passes, purposeful crosses, ball-taking/trapping and possession.
While quick adaptation to the playing surface enabled the visitors to counter-attack in numbers cohesively, and in the process, exposing gaps in the locals defence, with Alpha’s head coach admitting publicly the fundamental flaws that led to their defeat.
It’s my sincere desire for them to be corrected and a more favourable performance is displayed against Portland Timbers, who will be a tougher opponent! When it’s taken into consideration that the visitors have MLS experience!
Whether one likes it or not, putting Guyana first and Alpha second, should be foremost in one’s mind.
And please displaying the FIFA Fair Play flag is relevant, while not foregoing the announcement of both teams prior to the game’s commencement with the relevant names, numbers and positions over the Public Address System, in addition to the officiating personnel.
Respectfully yours,
Lester Sealey.

http://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/2014/08/12/alpha-united-needs-an-overall-improvement/

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Wow, this game is LITERALLY being played on a cricket ground. Like, with a cricket pitch still there.

Zombie Chow
Jun 17, 2010

We interrupt this program to increase dramatic tension.
Haha, no, that's how the lines usually look at the Azteca.

EDIT: Well, no surprise there. First goal. Bayamon is not even trying.

Zombie Chow fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 20, 2014

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Zombie Chow posted:

Haha, no, that's how the lines usually look at the Azteca.

I'm watching Alpha United/Portland. I know what Club America's stadium looks like.

Zombie Chow
Jun 17, 2010

We interrupt this program to increase dramatic tension.
Ah, sorry!

I think I'm going to watch the game you're watching too. It's 8 minutes and America is winning already by two.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
I just loaded up a stream and my team's losing 3-0 in the first 15 minutes. Bayamón FC sucks so hard :negative:

e: lol 4-0 in 19 minutes. This is going to be a massacre.

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 20, 2014

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Sick free kick by Alpha United.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fantastic strike by Alpha United.

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

maybe i missed it but how is a team from south america in concacaf champions league

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Gin Soaked Ape posted:

maybe i missed it but how is a team from south america in concacaf champions league

conmebol didn't want them

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

has adi scored since portland bought his contract?

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Gin Soaked Ape posted:

has adi scored since portland bought his contract?

not until 30 seconds after you posted that

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

has weber scored off of a goal kick?

edit: just testing to see if i had some kind of special power

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
"Hey, even though Bayamón started off on the very wrong foot, they had a pretty good second half! They held off América, and even managed to score a goal! And now that the game is ending in 20 seconds, I doubt anything will happen score-wise."

*América scores a goal with ten seconds to spare. Score is now 6-1*

"Welp. Back to business."

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

man, real esteli loves fouling

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

lmao Cruz Azul, the Mexican commentators are really bitter about all the timewasting going on, it's hilarious.

Gin Soaked Ape posted:

Guyana, Surinam and French Guyana are culturally Caribbean/West Indies, they might as well be islands.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

After the World Cup, I started watching MLS again and thought, "wow, the refereeing is just awful."

Now, after watching MLS for a while, I watch CCL and think "wow, MLS refereeing isn't nearly half this bad."

SandersPacheco
Jul 15, 2004

Faster than light
I'm quite relieved to see we were not the only ones to tie against Real Esteli.

On the other hand, that says a lot about our group :rip:

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
DCU is playing a mostly reserve side in front of like 2,000 people in RFK, sigh. Wish we had ownership that cared about marketing these games. That said Waterhouse or whatever isn't exactly a draw.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

DCU already winning, Caribbean clubs are unbelievably poo poo

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Drogadon posted:

Doubly confirmed because it was Eddie johnson who scored, lol

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Drogadon posted:

They really are, but tbf Caribbean sports culture focuses on other stuff. It's like the old Spanish colonial 3 B's but instead of baile botella baraja it's baseball, basketball, and boxing.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

NattyBo posted:

Doubly confirmed because it was Eddie johnson who scored, lol

He finally got the service he was missing from Seattle...

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
We booed Eddie in the lineup announcements. He scored a goal. He can still gently caress off and I don't even care that I pissed off the guy in an EJ jersey in front of me.

DC's reserves, mainly the same team that lost to Rochester, are making Waterhouse look like clowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

If we don't win this game (including a draw) I think we don't win this bracket

• Locked thread