Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
also, stalker clear sky with tfw mod and additional weapons mod is the best singleplayer fps atm imo

no retarded story, just a dude and a lot of guns and a companion or two vs. the zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I am grateful that I am capable of enjoying pretty much all FPS games and not going onto the internet and whining incessantly about how this game or that has ruined the genre.

I still go on the internet and whine incessantly just not about that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

seriously old-school-only FPS fans are up there with PC master race people as the most obnoxious and overbearing gamers

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

did the boost in players from the quake live steam relaunch already leave lol

Probably.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

seriously old-school-only FPS fans are up there with PC master race people as the most obnoxious and overbearing gamers

Alright you easily amused child. No one else gives a poo poo though.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Boy, I really am glad that things made for subhuman noobs with more money than sense stimulate me. Battlefield FTW! Drools for 15 minutes while making plane noises.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Wormskull posted:

Alright you easily amused child. No one else gives a poo poo though.

sorry you have so much trouble having fun I guess!

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

World War II shooters need to make a comeback.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Gumdrop Larry posted:

World War II shooters need to make a comeback.

I was thinking this the other day but then I seen one, and decided I hope they set it on a Jap island or something because Brown rear end France and Brown rear end Germany and Tan rear end Africa sucks balls.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Maybe Philippines actually, would be epic as hell.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

idk i picked up planetside recently and its been really fun getting murdered as gently caress with goons so

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

all fps games are bad cause they make you shoot columbine

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Goddammit guys how dare you have standards :colbert:

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
New good FPS games are dead but hell, there's still uh, Doom I guess, which is still the best FPS game ever made.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

New good FPS games are dead but hell, there's still uh, Doom I guess, which is still the best FPS game ever made.

Ever heard of Quake.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Schnedwob posted:

KF - 'what if we took a bog-standard zombie defense fps but actually made it fun + interesting???'

killing floor starts out looking like it has a lot of potential and then it's time to weld 4505400 doors and kill a million stealth zombies with specific weapons to unlock stuff you'll need to play the fun difficulties

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYEyIGLRqW0

if you haven't seen this i don't know what to say to you but

i kind of wonder how cs:s would be if it had warsow bhop

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Wormskull posted:

Ever heard of Quake.

Quake is good but no one plays it anymore. RIP.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Quake 1 is one of the only single player FPSes I enjoyed playing through though I would not recommend the mission packs unless you want to see a huge 1996 video game tapestry of Poseidon in one of the levels.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Wormskull posted:

Quake 1 is one of the only single player FPSes I enjoyed playing through though I would not recommend the mission packs unless you want to see a huge 1996 video game tapestry of Poseidon in one of the levels.

Oh yeah the singleplayer's good too. I liked Quake 2 as well. Doom is probably still the best singleplayer FPS experience overall though.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Hell, with mods, Doom multiplayer is pretty good too, though there's no cool movement tech like Quake since you can't jump.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i think it's more accurate to say the twitch fps is dying

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Doctor Goat posted:

i think it's more accurate to say the twitch fps is dying

The only other game worth a poo poo is CS so for mostly all other intensive purposes, FPS is dead.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

If they just go for it with the modes they've been edging on in CoD where everyone has equal loadouts and poo poo, CoD would be about as close as it gets to the Other Decent FPS.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i would love CoD if
1. everyone had a lot more HP so it wasnt just a game of who started shooting first
2. there was more than 1-2 good maps a game

id also love if there were health packs and such instead of loving regenerating health but that will never ever go away now

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
so what's the verdict imp are FPS games dead or not I didn't read the thread. i need to know if I should stop enjoying Wolfenstein: The New Order thanks

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Enjoy whatever you want, but multiplayer FPSes are dead and single player ones are on there last leg.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i want to find whoever came up with regenerating health as a way to get around needing good map design and pacing and tell them something really mean

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
id had better release doom 4 as a free gzdoom wad.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

In BF4 you run around blowing poo poo up and mowing guys down and it's like being in a loving awesome action movie loving poo poo up with a squad full of your buddies.

But you don't have to run around looking for med packs every 10 seconds so it's poo poo, FPS games are dead.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

In BF4 you run around blowing poo poo up and mowing guys down and it's like being in a loving awesome action movie loving poo poo up with a squad full of your buddies.

But you don't have to run around looking for med packs every 10 seconds so it's poo poo, FPS games are dead.

BF4's single player is actually some pretty dumb fun

but BC1 is probably the best theyve ever done SP. didnt take itself seriously, open map design allowed for a lot of different ways to tackle every situation, tank boss fights. then BC2 came out and it was just loving call of duty

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

is that new wolfenstein good? lots of people were saying it s good but i dont know if i believe them.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

but BC1 is probably the best theyve ever done SP. didnt take itself seriously, open map design allowed for a lot of different ways to tackle every situation, tank boss fights. then BC2 came out and it was just loving call of duty

Eh, I don't really play FPS games for the single player anyways. A good campaign is cool but no matter how good it is there's no real reason to play through it more than once.

btw sorry about flipping a poo poo at you over smash bros. It was stupid.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Famous TV Dad posted:

is that new wolfenstein good? lots of people were saying it s good but i dont know if i believe them.

It was p good. I found that it got kind of frustrating near the end but it's definitely worth playing.

The gore is amazing.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Lemming posted:

Titanfall is fun on the PC because you get to jump around and run on walls and then you get a friendly giant robot to hug you into its chest

if the game had better map design and more interesting weapons on-foot it would have turned out to be a really good game but its only average.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Eh, I don't really play FPS games for the single player anyways. A good campaign is cool but no matter how good it is there's no real reason to play through it more than once.

there can be if it's like, fun and stuff. ive probably played jedi outcast over and over forever since it came out like 10+ years ago and not just the lightsaber bits. i played through BC1's SP more than once for sure.

BF4's SP has the right idea in that it actually has a score system, you get bonus points for headshots and multi-kills and poo poo and medals based on how well youre doing so theres a reason to actually replay it. seeing numbers when you kill poo poo is also really satisfying.

quote:

btw sorry about flipping a poo poo at you over smash bros. It was stupid.

<3 <3 add me again whenever brah

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lol

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i don't like stuff like call of duty not because of the bland guns, but because it is actually a game of who shot first in a bland setting which is awful. using a fun gun like a flamethrower is an automatic SHOOT HERE TO GET KILL too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

BF4 feels so fuckin dirty at this point and in hindsight I wish I hadn't gotten it. Origin sucks rear end and EA shouldn't get my money and it was so inexcusably broken for so long I mean god drat what a mess.

• Locked thread