Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Thanks to whoever linked to this thread at the end of last month's thread. I now have a new favourite thread, sorry UKMT :byewhore:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

This was one of my biggest hates with Gove. I was taught history through the framework of source analysis, overcoming bias, and presenting an argument even at early level. These are things that serve kids well in later life even if they never again need to know the causes of the Industrial Revolution.
Changing that back to memorizing lists of kings is ridiculous.

I am sure I have mentioned before, but I just detest the idea that studying history is just learning 'what happened when' by rote as if knowing the exact date of the poor law or whatever by heart is in any way important. It's so loving teleological but I guess it's derived from the Whig tradition that dominated until quite recently. Probably explains why that's still the broadly held view of the discipline amongst the general public.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Learning by rote memorisation is how the roman education system worked, and even their upper strata of society realised that poo poo was retarded and hired more expensive private tutors to get a decent education.
We don't wanna be like the romans - they're european for a start.

haakman
May 5, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

I am sure I have mentioned before, but I just detest the idea that studying history is just learning 'what happened when' by rote as if knowing the exact date of the poor law or whatever by heart is in any way important. It's so loving teleological but I guess it's derived from the Whig tradition that dominated until quite recently. Probably explains why that's still the broadly held view of the discipline amongst the general public.

History as a subject also lends itself to the idea of 'oh poo poo I have so much content to get through, better talk at the students for 60 minutes and give them a list of things to copy down'. It is very easy to fall into didactic teaching with History.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Mister Adequate posted:

All Guinness is rank.

When things go wrong and will not come right,
Though you do the best you can,
When life looks black as the hour of night -
you have probably just read a post by Mister Adequate

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I know but it's more important to learn how maths works instead of a do this and this result comes up.
The 'why' is much more important than the result.

In fact that's true of all subjects.
I don't know. Maybe I have an overly romanticized view of what schools should be in the pursuit of knowledge.

(slight beer talk: Guinness Dublin porter is rank.)

Times tables (at least, up to the ten times table) are the most basic building blocks for any mental multiplication and there's absolutely nothing to teach about them except the results - there's only so many times you need to explain that 6x7 represents six lots of seven items.

Also the other new Guinness (West Indies porter, I think?) I found a lot better.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

StoneOfShame posted:

I'm sorry but I dont really buy the criticism of Andrew Neil's questioning technique at all, he was exactly as he always is when he's interviewing someone who seems like they dont know what they're talking about. Seriously compare how he interviewed her to a lot of Paxman's interviews they pale in comparison.

I was surprised by it because Andrew Neil's usually much friendlier to women from former British colonies.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
That photo has never stopped traumatising me.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Mister Adequate posted:

All Guinness is rank.
Nah, Foreign Extra is really nice. The West Indies stuff they have at the moment is also pretty good.

Normal Guinness is nothing to write home about but it's available pretty much anywhere and preferable to e.g. Carling.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

ThomasPaine posted:

I remember my Geography teacher in our first class at secondary school had this bit where he would ask us obscure geography factoids at random. Then he would hand out atlases and let us look up those the answers. He would then explain that memorising facts about nations' capitals or countries' area was pointless because we could just look it up and he aimed to teach us how to research things properly and the methods to work out what questions we needed to be asking.

Which was pretty awesome. I remember him doing it several more times through my school career which dulled it slightly but, to be fair, it was a very good bit.

Still though, you can see why a Tory would oppose people learning critical thinking skills.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tories want to prepare the scum for success on the modern ladder of social mobility, winning money on trivia quiz shows

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Memorizing lists is knowledge. Knowledge prepares you to be the next banker or MP. Wisdom means not voting Tory.

It shows an amazing level of insight to be honest. The Tories know that people thinking about things is bad news. The Americans have realised this for much longer of course which is why they broke their schools decades ago.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Regarde Aduck posted:

Wisdom means not voting Tory.

A fact worth memorising.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

DroneRiff posted:

This pretty much sums up every view I hear about Kev Warwick as well (04-07 guy here too). Ahh the heady old days. Then we got a VC who looked like Kilroy and it all went down hill.

We almost certainly have acquaintances in common, if we don't know each other. EE, Cyb or Com Sci?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

1 to 10 I get, those are useful to know and get used. 11 and 12, I never really understood what they were good for apart from an indicator of "yeah, you've learnt a few things". Seems the first ten are good as a means to an ends, whereas any afterwards it just seems to be the end. And also easier to work out using the previous ones and sticking them together. Always just seemed kind of arbitrarily tacked on, those two.

e: disclaimer, I still don't even know those two properly off by heart but I could work them out

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Holdover from imperial, a gross or a dozen dozens. Would have been usefull.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Twelves are awesome, they have loads of factors. If we were sensible we'd count in base 12 not base 10.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Party Boat posted:

Twelves are awesome, they have loads of factors. If we were sensible we'd count in base 12 not base 10.

Yeah, twelve's rule. gently caress tens and gently caress anyone who thinks tens are cool.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Umiapik posted:

Yeah, twelve's rule. gently caress tens and gently caress anyone who thinks tens are cool.

Well, gently caress evolution giving us ten digits then.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Bozza posted:

We almost certainly have acquaintances in common, if we don't know each other. EE, Cyb or Com Sci?

Physics actually, but knew a fair few cyb/com sci people through general uni osmosis.
Just don't ask me to remember any names at this time of the morning.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Party Boat posted:

i'm not taking my shoes and socks off every time I need to do a sum

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

McDragon posted:

1 to 10 I get, those are useful to know and get used. 11 and 12, I never really understood what they were good for apart from an indicator of "yeah, you've learnt a few things". Seems the first ten are good as a means to an ends, whereas any afterwards it just seems to be the end. And also easier to work out using the previous ones and sticking them together. Always just seemed kind of arbitrarily tacked on, those two.

e: disclaimer, I still don't even know those two properly off by heart but I could work them out
The eleven times table is ridiculously easy to learn, mind (and frankly a bit of light relief after bullshit like the 7s): up to 9 × 11 you're just repeating the digit. 10 × 11 unsurprisingly follows the same "add a nought" rule as anything else × 10, 11 × 11 is a square number so you're probably using it elsewhere anyway. Plus there's just the general rule for multiplying two-digit numbers of adding the two digits together and putting the sum in the middle (e.g. 23 × 11 = 253), carrying the 1 if necessary (e.g. 57 × 11 = 627)

Saying that, if you're going to learn the 12s you may as well learn the 15s and 16s too, since the former is handy for telling the time and the latter for dealing with hexadecimal.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Paul.Power posted:

The eleven times table is ridiculously easy to learn, mind (and frankly a bit of light relief after bullshit like the 7s): up to 9 × 11 you're just repeating the digit. 10 × 11 unsurprisingly follows the same "add a nought" rule as anything else × 10, 11 × 11 is a square number so you're probably using it elsewhere anyway. Plus there's just the general rule for multiplying two-digit numbers of adding the two digits together and putting the sum in the middle (e.g. 23 × 11 = 253), carrying the 1 if necessary (e.g. 57 × 11 = 627)

Saying that, if you're going to learn the 12s you may as well learn the 15s and 16s too, since the former is handy for telling the time and the latter for dealing with hexadecimal.

I always found the 7s pretty easy weirdly, and I've never been great at arithmetic. 8s on the other hand...

Yeah, I have no idea why.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Oberleutnant posted:

i'm not taking my shoes and socks off every time I need to do a sum

But that's the beauty of it! Every time you need to count to 12 just use each leg as an extra finger.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

While we're talking about stupid numbers poo poo someone explain the concept of a baker's dozen to me because seriously

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ThomasPaine posted:

While we're talking about stupid numbers poo poo someone explain the concept of a baker's dozen to me because seriously

Bread used to be sold by weight and there were harsh penalties for giving short weight. Because the weight of loaves and such would naturally vary, bakers would throw in an extra when someone bought twelve to ensure they were giving fair weight.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

This always got me too. It always left me thinking "why is a baker selling eggs anyway"

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

XMNN posted:

Nah, Foreign Extra is really nice. The West Indies stuff they have at the moment is also pretty good.

Yep. Guinness special export and foreign extra are both really good. The shops near me cater to a large Nigerian community so we get the decent foreign extra. It's extremely chocolatey and doesn't have the overwhelmingly bland 'creaminess' that the draft has.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

tentish klown posted:

Count the number of sections between the joints on your four fingers with your thumb.

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC

tentish klown posted:

By that logic, if we counted in binary you could count to 1023 on your fingers which would come in handy.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Rottbott posted:

By that logic, if we counted in binary you could count to 1023 on your fingers which would come in handy.

I'm not sure that's the same logic

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

ThomasPaine posted:

I always found the 7s pretty easy weirdly, and I've never been great at arithmetic. 8s on the other hand...

Yeah, I have no idea why.
Hmm. I guess I'm so used to the 8s now thanks to things like 24 Game and constant technology references, whereas with 7s there's a lot less cultural context. I dunno, I'm probably just waffling - I never really found the 7s that hard, just less intuitive. Admittedly it helps that I've always enjoyed maths and had a good deal of parental support, so my views on the subject should probably be taken with a pinch of salt.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think when I was in school I learned that 12x12 was 144 and assumed that because I knew that and 1x1 I understood the full breadth of the curriculum.

I wish we spent more time on algebra, I was good at that and then I managed to forget it about three times over the course of my education. Also it's actually useful for working out complex maths problems.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
I'm absolutely shite at mental arithmetic, but I nailed higher level maths at uni like it weren't no thing.

Rotating magnetic fields represented by 3d vector calculus? No bother.

7 times table? gently caress off.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Instead of teaching the 11 and 12 times table, surely it'd serve kids way better to teach them the common ratio of 2. Like, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 etc. It's necessary to know in just about every field involving computing.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

It isn't really though. I've been a programmer for 20+ years, and I get vague above 4096. The only use is for gotcha interview questions. Mind you, I can't remember my times tables either, I just figure it out every time. Can't say it's ever been a problem.

I guess you could teach hexadecimal if you really wanted to, but once you understand the concept there's no point learning to add and multiply hex numbers because again, no-one really does that and calculators exist.

OwlFancier posted:

I never memorised mine, on account of having this thing called a calculator to do arithmetic for me. Being able to do mental arithmetic is useful but not really necessary, considering any serious mathematical work will require a calculator anyway.

Watching a room full of Physics PhDs trying to work backwards from the answer Mathematica gave them because they need to show their working in a paper is pretty funny.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/02/probation-chief-inspector-paul-mcdowell-resigns

The Guardian posted:

The chief inspector of probation, Paul McDowell, has resigned over a conflict of interest row after his wife’s private justice company won the largest number of contracts to run probation services in England and Wales.

McDowell, who was appointed by the justice secretary, Chris Grayling, said he was resigning from the £135,000 watchdog role because although there were “measures in place to manage any conflicts of interest” it was clearly seen as a conflict of interest.

The probation service has gone to complete poo poo under Chris Grayling.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
I remember when I was 17 having to teach my cousin about percentages. She genuinely didn't know how to answer questions like "An item costing £7.99 is in a 20% off sale. How much does it cost in the sale?" or how to convert a fraction like 5/14 to a percentage.

She was in her second year of a Business Studies degree at the time.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
What the gently caress kind of Orwellian bullshit phrase is "private justice company"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The Greens have dropped mincome from their 2015 manifesto so we won't be seeing those costings after all.

And Caroline Lucas will most likely be appearing in any TV debates rather than Bennett, which is probably for the best.

• Locked thread