Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rodatose posted:

e: the simple point i'm trying to say is that, in counter to the specific argument that we NEED to go somewhere new: if we don't solve the cultural problems that led us to have to need somewhere new in the first place, we will probably repeat the same cultural problems and have to find somewhere else new ad nauseum

It could be 1000+ years in the future and these problems would still exist. Regardless, its better to be making progress to getting off this planet when we are not in a rush than when we suddenly find that we DO need to start making such plans.

Not saying it will happen, but its always good to have something lined up, not to mention to worthwhile research that will go into getting us there.

The biggest hurdle we face today is the unwillingness to commit to long term R&D projects, everything is about quarterly profit and quarterly returns, which is an issue considering the depth of the problems we want to solve. Attitudes like Tezzor's are not uncommon, especially among the capitalism crowd, everything is about ROI, not in the future but now now now. So many companies are unwilling to invest in something that won't be profitable in the short term, which is kind of an issue considering a lot of our technology and science required very long mature times in order to be viable products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

As for ultra-tree research: Mars is quite inhospitable, pretty much a model of end stage desertification. Finding or modifying species from earth that can have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the environment of mars can help us here on earth.

I am unaware of any macroscopic animal or plant species even remotely close to being able to thrive in an environment with 11% the gravity of earth, an oxygenless atmosphere 0.6% the pressure of earth's, common daily temperature swings of about 100F and an average temperature of -60F, no liquid water and no water at all except at the even colder poles. It is possible that we would genetically engineer some, in the same way it is possible that we could populate the planet with hardy golems animated from the very frozen clay. At any rate, we should probably focus on climates more similar to earth if we are attempting to figure out how to improve climates on earth.

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 11, 2015

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Look look, all you negative nancies talking about cultural problems, here's the thing, environment informs cultural problems. For all you know, space exploration would speed up the solving of those cultural problems, in would bring in entirely new perspectives. And unless you've got a plan to solve them today (you don't), you do the best with what you have. There's no reason you can't push for both, to create better understanding between people while also pushing for exploration and space colonization, there's no need for a false dichotomy. It's not space exploration nerds stopping helping everyone else on this planet, it's the people actively stopping helping everyone else on this planet, because they have something to gain.

Chokes McGee posted:

First Mars is colonized

then Jupiter and Saturn

then ur anus
Man, gently caress the people who try to pronounce it 'ure e nes'. Uranus, Ur-anus, is the technical, correct pronunciation of those letters in that order in the english language, just loving giggle like everyone else and get over it.

Uranus is full of methane, Uranus has a ring, Uranus periodically gets dark spots, etc etc.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Rodatose posted:

also I don't agree with supply a luxury to your people as always being the means of crowd control, plenty of traditional agrarian empires relied on sheer military force to keep the peasants in check as they ran out of room to expand (and therefore have more produce to tax to fund. Of course as taxes dwindled then troops wouldn't get paid and end up starting a coup)

Perhaps, even though warrior societies - such as Sparta, Songhai, Mongol, Aztec, Viking - etc - had a robust military; they still had to placate the masses with ~something~ else they end up on the wrong side of a pitchfork. Hard power has its limits and those limits are pretty pronounced when dealing with people who are literally your next-door neighbors/friends/family.

edit: not to totally derail from the OP - I still think Mars provides a very real motivation for the adventurous types, and adventure goes hand in hand with economic prosperity. I do agree with the other poster on the point that asteroid mining/exploration seems - at least at present: a more likely proposition.

Thunder Moose fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 11, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tezzor posted:

It's perfectly relevant, as your accusation of my faulty logic was "why are you criticizing this unnecessary thing when you yourself are made of carbon do unnecessary things," which is not an argument that deserves anything other than mockery.

So in other words, your argument has no reasoning behind it, because you are not willing to argue from its propositions, namely that we should not do unnecessary things, and you are still a culture warrior, bravely pounding away at those loving nerdlingers, desperately trying to pretend that you don't deserve to get stuffed into a locker yourself.

rudatron posted:

Look look, all you negative nancies talking about cultural problems, here's the thing, environment informs cultural problems. For all you know, space exploration would speed up the solving of those cultural problems, in would bring in entirely new perspectives. And unless you've got a plan to solve them today (you don't), you do the best with what you have. There's no reason you can't push for both, to create better understanding between people while also pushing for exploration and space colonization, there's no need for a false dichotomy. It's not space exploration nerds stopping helping everyone else on this planet, it's the people actively stopping helping everyone else on this planet, because they have something to gain.

Anybody who argues simultaneously that the race for the moon was purely political gamesmanship and that space-travel enthusiasts are a significant reason for international inequality is fairly obviously dishonest, so I don't think you're going to convince them without shooting for the real reasoning.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

rudatron posted:

In a world of limited budgets it's reasonable to ask if Mars is the best target and humans the best tool. If the goal is to survey Mars then robots are probably cheaper.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Salt Fish posted:

If there is beneficial scientific research that would benefit the earth then I feel we should go ahead and do the research. The idea that we need some crazy scheme that the research "falls out of" is a fallacy because directly researching super trees or whatever is a lot easier here on Earth where our scientists can breath and live.

This is so hopelessly and hilariously naive that I don't even know what to say. Science is all about what is sexy. Hell, funding is all about what is sexy. Space exploration as an excuse for ICBMs is a hell of a lot better than hilariously terrible fighter jets as an excuse for a jobs program.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

We can't even live on earth without loving it up in the long run, how can one take the concept of off-earth colonization seriously at all?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Tezzor posted:

I always enjoy when space fetishists attempt to justify their predictions and fantasies as inevitable teleology while of course forgetting that virtually every single major prediction they made about space travel or most anything else after about 1970 was either laughably wrong or so far in the future it might as well have fairies in it. Internet? What's that? Computers? Aren't they those giant things with all the blinking lights and paper reams? They promised us a million people on the Moon by 1990, failed at that but in the interim got some incidental technologies vaguely helped by space travel but completely out of left field to their ideology, then claimed victory.

you are aware that "incidental technologies" is the whole point of scientific research

like, you start doing research and your plan is "i want to go from a to b" and the actual thing that happens is "let's go from a to b, oh poo poo this doesn't work let's try again, oh poo poo this still doesn't work let's try again, oooooooh shiny let's forget about b"

this is how every groundbreaking bit of research ever has been done and you get more groundbreaking (or in any way interesting) research done if you tell more scientists to do hard things and let them get sidetracked into random poo poo

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

let's take for example the large hardon collider

until now it has mainly found that the higgs boson exists just as predicted previously and that neutrinos don't actually go faster than light because building experiments is hard

if that's all the lhc ever does it will have done nothing interesting and basically amount to a really mediocre unispiring use of research money and effort, so the only thing to do now is crank up the power all the way and hope something weird happens

Salt Fish posted:

If there is beneficial scientific research that would benefit the earth then I feel we should go ahead and do the research. The idea that we need some crazy scheme that the research "falls out of" is a fallacy because directly researching super trees or whatever is a lot easier here on Earth where our scientists can breath and live.

if you do research with a limited and entirely applied scope such as "genetically engineer a super tree that hoovers up 10% more co2" then guess whether scientists will a) completely understand how a plant functions from the cellular to the organismic level (expecting this to actually work out SoonTM is about as crazy as a mars colony) in a way that allows us to custom-build organisms for a wide range of cool applications plus not-yet-known extra benefits or b) do the minimum amount of work necessary to make it hoover up slightly more co2 because who gives a poo poo the grant only paid for three years of research and we're done here (protip it's b scientists are people too)

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 11, 2015

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

blowfish posted:

if you do research with a limited and entirely applied scope such as "genetically engineer a super tree that hoovers up 10% more co2" then guess whether scientists will a) completely understand how a plant functions from the cellular to the organismic level (expecting this to actually work out SoonTM is about as crazy as a mars colony) in a way that allows us to custom-build organisms for a wide range of cool applications plus not-yet-known extra benefits or b) do the minimum amount of work necessary to make it hoover up slightly more co2 because who gives a poo poo the grant only paid for three years of research and we're done here (protip it's b scientists are people too)

This barely parses as English. What are you trying to say? I'm making a point that colonizing space because technology falls out of it is inefficient compared to simply doing the research on Earth.

Shbobdb posted:

This is so hopelessly and hilariously naive that I don't even know what to say. Science is all about what is sexy. Hell, funding is all about what is sexy. Space exploration as an excuse for ICBMs is a hell of a lot better than hilariously terrible fighter jets as an excuse for a jobs program.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but you seem to be saying that it's easier to get science funding for a trip to mars than for vanilla earth research. You might be right about that, but I am not arguing that people want terrestrial science research more than they want space colonization. I'm arguing that it's more efficient to do research here on earth.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 11, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

This barely parses as English. What are you trying to say? I'm making a point that colonizing space because technology falls out of it is inefficient compared to simply doing the research on Earth.
I am making a point that setting limited beep boop efficient research objective is short sighted because it will be targeted at already-obvious goals, will result in the minimum research/engineering effort necessary, and therefore will be less likely to lead to actual groundbreaking advances which primarily happen through luck and scientists being sidetracked.

quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but you seem to be saying that it's easier to get science funding for a trip to mars than for vanilla earth research. You might be right about that, but I am not arguing that people want terrestrial science research more than they want space colonization. I'm arguing that it's more efficient to do research here on earth.
Beep boop efficient research does not work outside of short term r&d. You need to convince smart people to become scientists and engineers and do cool stuff rather than rake in money as investment bankers. You need to push for ambitious pie-in-the-sky goals to make sure those engineers and scientists actually get to keep pushing forward in their field instead of hunting for different grants every three years. You need to be aware that there isn't a straight path from questions to goals, but rather that a shockingly large proportion of interesting results comes about simply because scientists and engineers have to think about a new hard problem and because they get sidetracked during the process.

Yes, there is lots of research for which can stay on Earth just fine, but building spaceships is supposed to happen in addition to existing research rather than replacing it. And again, don't forget that a ton of spaceship nerds will end up not going to space, resulting in extra smart people and interesting ideas for other fields of research.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 11, 2015

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

blowfish posted:

I am making a point that setting limited beep boop efficient research objective is short sighted because it will be targeted at already-obvious goals, will result in the minimum research/engineering effort necessary, and therefore will be less likely to lead to actual groundbreaking advances which primarily happen through luck and scientists being sidetracked.

Beep boop efficient research does not work outside of short term r&d. You need to convince smart people to become scientists and engineers and do cool stuff rather than rake in money as investment bankers. You need to push for ambitious pie-in-the-sky goals to make sure those engineers and scientists actually get to keep pushing forward in their field instead of hunting for different grants every three years. You need to be aware that there isn't a straight path from questions to goals, but rather that a shockingly large proportion of interesting results comes about simply because scientists and engineers have to think about a new hard problem and because they get sidetracked during the process.

You really are selling scientists short. That somehow they won't strive to solve problems or gain a deep understanding unless they are forced to by the vacuum of space. An analogy to doing research on Mars would be to do it standing on your head. Or underwater. Perhaps scientists could labor with heavy weights strapped to them. There is nothing beneficial to scientific research on mars except actual information about mars; of course, we can get that information with robots much easier than with humans.

I'd like to share an excerpt from Pale Blue Dot relevent to this discussion:

quote:

It is alleged that "spinoff" will transpire—huge technological benefits that would otherwise
fail to come about—thereby improving our international competitiveness and the domestic
economy. But this is an old argument: Spend $80 billion (in contemporary money) to send
Apollo astronauts to the Moon, and we'll throw in a free stickless frying pan. Plainly, if we're
after frying pans, we can invest the money directly and save almost all of that $80 billion.
The argument is specious for other reasons as well, one of which is that DuPont's Teflon
technology long antedated Apollo. The same is true of cardiac pacemakers, ballpoint pens,
Velcro, and other purported spinoffs of the Apollo program. (I once had the opportunity to talk
with the inventor of the cardiac pacemaker, who himself nearly had a coronary accident
describing the injustice of what he perceived as NASA taking credit for his device.) If there are
technologies we urgently need, then spend the money and develop them. Why go to Mars to do
it?

Of course it would be impossible for so much new technology as NASA requires to be
developed and not have some spillover into the general economy, some inventions useful down
here. For example, the powdered orange juice substitute Tang was a product of the manned
space program, and spinoffs have occurred in cordless tools, implanted cardiac defibrillators,
liquid-cooled garments, and digital imaging—to name a few. But they hardly justify human
voyages to Mars or the existence of NASA.

We could see the old spinoff engine wheezing and puffing in the waning days of the
Reagan-era Star Wars office. Hydrogen bomb-driven X-ray lasers on orbiting battle stations will
help perfect laser surgery, they told us. But if we need laser surgery, if it's a high national
priority, by all means let's allocate the funds to develop it. just leave Star Wars out of it. Spinoff
justifications constitute an admission that the program can't stand on its own two feet, cannot be
justified by the purpose for which it was originally sold.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

You really are selling scientists short. That somehow they won't strive to solve problems are gain a deep understanding unless they are forced to by the vacuum of space.
lol you are dumb (and I actually do science which is not about spaceships)

The point is not that scientists are unimaginative office drones, which is what you insist I was saying. The point is that scientists given the opportunity of doing long term work on novel problems will come up with novel ideas and solutions that can be generalised and used to investigate other questions. In addition, scientists started out as people:v: and it is important to inspire a new generation of scientists to actually become scientists, for which "and we will be really efficient and down to earth" is not the best marketing slogan.

quote:

An analogy to doing research on Mars would be to do it standing on your head. Or underwater. Perhaps scientists could labor with heavy weights strapped to them. There is nothing beneficial to scientific research on mars except actual information about mars; of course, we can get that information with robots much easier than with humans.
Scientific knowledge of Mars is really cool and stuff and it's also relevant to understand how planets work because a sample size of one sucks. Oh and robots are really slow, driving 40km in ten years is not impressive and a couple of geologists lugging rocks back into their gooncave mooncave mars lab for analysis will be able to do the sampling of many, many rovers. However, the process of developing a mars colony itself is a clear goal that everyone can work towards and then get sidetracked into making discoveries even before they actually build the mars colony, rather than having a ton of tiny separate projects half of which will never even get started.

quote:

I'd like to share an excerpt from Pale Blue Dot relevent to this discussion:

lol at confusing "direct spinoffs which we put on a list to shut the tezzors of the world up" with "the only indirect benefit of space exploration that exists"

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

blowfish posted:

lol at confusing "direct spinoffs which we put on a list to shut the tezzors of the world up" with "the only indirect benefit of space exploration that exists"

That chapter of the book is entirely a tear-down of justifications for sending men to mars and covers about a dozen common arguments. I only posted the paragraphs that were relevant to what I was discussing rather than quote a full chapter of the book.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Salt Fish posted:

This is just adorable :3:

Next you'll tell me me that, if we ignore reality, the average American worker should be earning an inflation adjusted 70k for a twenty hour work week!

You are just so cute :3:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
imo, the best reason to go to mars is because it's there

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

-Troika- posted:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

-Troika- posted:

Off you go then.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

quote:

In 2014, Islamic leaders in the United Arab Emirates issued a fatwa against Mars One, arguing that taking the trip would be a form of suicide, which is forbidden in Islam.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

What if they wear a suicide vest?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Its actually one guy, and isnt a leading authority, just a pretty popular imam. Think something like Pat Robertson.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
We have to go to Mars because we need to subdue and enslave the Void Dragon who sleeps beneath the crust and harness his complete mastery over machines.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Welp, I'm convinced, it might be expensive to get off this planet so let's just huddle here and wait for the comet/asteroid/plague/climate/any of the other ten trillion strange deaths of the cosmos to wipe us out as if we've never been. Far better than >gasp< spending money.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fizzil posted:

Its actually one guy, and isnt a leading authority, just a pretty popular imam. Think something like Pat Robertson.

Moon God?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Effectronica posted:

So in other words, your argument has no reasoning behind it, because you are not willing to argue from its propositions, namely that we should not do unnecessary things, and you are still a culture warrior, bravely pounding away at those loving nerdlingers, desperately trying to pretend that you don't deserve to get stuffed into a locker yourself.

In other words you can't actually justify your ideology on its own merits and are engaging in water-muddying and deflection so nakedly absurd it's difficult to believe.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Things you should know about martians:

Out in space they're a sexy race, but aliens are not my piece of cake. Android sex and little dicks, Martians don't give me no kicks. There's just no kick with a little dick.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tezzor posted:

In other words you can't actually justify your ideology on its own merits and are engaging in water-muddying and deflection so nakedly absurd it's difficult to believe.

What is the ideology in question here?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

blowfish posted:

you are aware that "incidental technologies" is the whole point of scientific research

like, you start doing research and your plan is "i want to go from a to b" and the actual thing that happens is "let's go from a to b, oh poo poo this doesn't work let's try again, oh poo poo this still doesn't work let's try again, oooooooh shiny let's forget about b"

this is how every groundbreaking bit of research ever has been done and you get more groundbreaking (or in any way interesting) research done if you tell more scientists to do hard things and let them get sidetracked into random poo poo

This is accurate and it also destroys the argument for space colonization specifically as having any value by its incidental development of technologies. Instead of Mars colonies, you could direct scientists to resolving any arbitrary "hard problem" and have incidental technological development as a result, from eradicating AIDS to covering the entire continent of Australia in 10 feet of green gelatin.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Effectronica posted:

What is the ideology in question here?

Space Fetishism.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tezzor posted:

Space Fetishism.

Do you have a definition for that beyond "Is OK with people traveling in space?"

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm all for permanent telescopes and science stations on the moon and mars. Populated by say 50-100 people. But lol at large scale human colonization. If you did terraform mars the atmosphere you created would get blow away by solar wind because mars doesn't have a goddammed magnetosphere. And building shielded cities underground on mars would be more difficult and less useful than underground cities on earth, even from the standpoint of asteroid survival or overpopulation. I really should make an effort thread one-day on the fallacies of the space utopians.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Tezzor posted:

This is accurate and it also destroys the argument for space colonization specifically as having any value by its incidental development of technologies. Instead of Mars colonies, you could direct scientists to resolving any arbitrary "hard problem" and have incidental technological development as a result, from eradicating AIDS to covering the entire continent of Australia in 10 feet of green gelatin.

Counter point,
Reality of the space program.

That was just the first result from a search of "scientific advances that came out of the space race" in google.

Here are some more .

I'm not even having to try very hard to torpedo your argument.

echopraxia
May 22, 2015
Hollow out asteroids rotated for centrifugal gravity and develop a self-sustaining biosphere to keep a specific population level. Mine and trade the different volatiles on their surfaces, stick engines on them and go on our long slow caravan journeys out of the solar system.

Space Tuaregs

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Tezzor posted:

1) "cure aids" is specifically physiological/epidemiological and will not lead to large technological breakthroughs while "cover australia in jello" is not hard, just large scale, because people have built big walls and made reasonably large amounts of jello before. your examples are poo poo and you obviously do not get what "hard" means.

2)

Tezzor posted:

pot calling the kettle black lol

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 11, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Wait, how did we get from "Manned mission to Mars, someday" to "Literal colonization/terraforming of Mars"? :confused:

Also, rather than some absurd goal like "Cover entire continent of Australia in 10 m of green gelatin", how about setting something really hard, like "Manned survey mission to Gliese 581"? :toot:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

echopraxia posted:

Hollow out asteroids rotated for centrifugal gravity and develop a self-sustaining biosphere to keep a specific population level. Mine and trade the different volatiles on their surfaces, stick engines on them and go on our long slow caravan journeys out of the solar system.

This is the technological capability we not only don't have but aren't even sure how to acquire. Space habitats are a weird problem because the physics concerns (gravity, radiation) had technical solutions designed fifty years ago but the part that people thought would be braindead simple, a self-sustaining biosphere, has proven to be extremely intractable.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

iFederico posted:

Because it's there.
This

Also, we can get there.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Wait, how did we get from "Manned mission to Mars, someday" to "Literal colonization/terraforming of Mars"? :confused:

Also, rather than some absurd goal like "Cover entire continent of Australia in 10 m of green gelatin", how about setting something really hard, like "Manned survey mission to Gliese 581"? :toot:
Agreed, going further away than mars would be cool, but at that point we might as well drop a bunch of people on mars because we already have bigass rockets anyway.

However, tezzor seems to think every advocate of sending people to space is literally Mars One :v:

AlexanderCA posted:

This

Also, we can get there.

I bet a colonialist European had that thought at some point. How does it feel to be Whitey In Space :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

JonathonSpectre posted:

Welp, I'm convinced, it might be expensive to get off this planet so let's just huddle here and wait for the comet/asteroid/plague/climate/any of the other ten trillion strange deaths of the cosmos to wipe us out as if we've never been. Far better than >gasp< spending money.

Somehow I suspect the planet that's nearer to the asteroid belt, has no atmosphere to burn up meteors, and has a moon in a decaying orbit around it would be more vulnerable to "death by giant space rock" than Earth.

• Locked thread