Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

evil eagle's dude can kill grank monsters by himself in <5 minutes. ive seen it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Crimson Harvest posted:

I want to get back in to this but I'm intimidated by online play.

Play online with the imp zone crew, it is a judgement-free zone

A guy in the IRC channel gave me poo poo for using Star Knight armor (a somewhat OP DLC set you can get at G3) but gently caress that, I'm a busy* man and just need to power through some quests so I can build a proper clownsuit later. meanwhile imp zone says come as you are, so long as you are ready to hunt mons

*ignoring the 200+ hours I've put into this f-in game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lol @ anyone who complains that other players are helping too much

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
gently caress everyone who was upset over flash bombs in mhfu

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Do you guys Fashion Hunt or do you clownsuit

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

ive never gotten deep enough into an MH game to have the choice, hence the thread cause that needed to change.

ill probably clownsuit tho cause i like big numbers

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

from what i've seen there's less reason to do mix-n-match clown sets in 4U, since plenty of the high end ones have pretty good skill synergy just by themselves.

unless you want to start diving into the really rare expedition relic equipment i guess but gently caress that

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
it was less me helping people out with SK armor and moreso that i went into the IRC channel asking for help with the quest for SK parts (simultaneous Zinogre + Seregios hunt in the arena, so no dung bombing them) and some guy whined about me asking and told me to be better at the game. But Challenger+2/Steady Hand/Rodeo God is hard to argue with, as it the 4 points of Handicraft that goes perfectly with the +6 Handicraft charm I have, so I can get Sharpness+1. Plus having like a dozen slots left over for whatever. It's rad.

NickRoweFillea posted:

I think it's best to clownsuit by the endgame once you know what skills you want to use and have some good charms, there's a super-good armor set building program called Athena's rear end that makes clownsuiting way easier. i clownsuited through HR with a mixed Garuga S set that was really good and I miss it, i will probably start G-rank clownsuiting once I have access to G-rank hunts of everything.

E:

lesbian baphomet posted:

unless you want to start diving into the really rare expedition relic equipment i guess but gently caress that

I'm more concerned about getting good charms from expeditions/guild quests, since that's the only way to get charms with the new combined skills Edgemaster (which gives you Honed Blade, AKA Attack Up L+Sharpness+1)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 11, 2016

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Edge Lore is a lot better than that one imo, but yeah getting the combined skill charms is fine. i meant like the actual armor/weapons, from what i've been told the best weapons you can get will be just upgrading expedition gear to have much higher stats than any of the normal equipment.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I don't clownsuit but I have a ton of armor sets now so I probably could.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

NickRoweFillea posted:

Clown, I focus entirely on how many skills I can cram in a build and use armor generators later on when there are too many options.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I usually go for reckless abandon plus one or more of the following: attack up, elemental up, earplugs, the one with anti-wind pressure, all of the skills focused on damage output

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
earplugs i think are my favorite qol skill. i hate getting stunned, and its nice to have against monsters who scream a lot like the rath family

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

NickRoweFillea posted:

earplugs i think are my favorite qol skill. i hate getting stunned, and its nice to have against monsters who scream a lot like the rath family

Man it sugks living in the apt below the rath family

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I'll try to get involved here when I recover from this flu I'm dealing with.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i'm on for some hunting if anyone else is. im close to getting out of G1 but im down to help people farm and whatnot, ive gotta farm too.

also grank weapons are loving expensive holy poo poo lol. glad there's a use for money i guess

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I won't be able to hunt for 2.5 hours or so but I'm up for it then if my internet is working

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Bobnumerotres posted:

i'm on for some hunting if anyone else is. im close to getting out of G1 but im down to help people farm and whatnot, ive gotta farm too.

also grank weapons are loving expensive holy poo poo lol. glad there's a use for money i guess

I used to sell a lot of monster parts for money, just keeping like 10 of each but I'm not sure this is good advice

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

Apparently you can currently mod a 3ds to play English translated MHX with online and everything and it doesn't even need a flash cart. I think I'm gonna try that.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

Also, my current equipment set just has carving celeb, crit +2 and status crit to go with my teostra blast sns and I can't imagine something more entertaining, but I can tell that it's a bit defensively lacking. I really wish MH games had like cosmetic armor upgrades that you could quest for or so,etching so you could get the best of both worlds.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
a lot of the extreme endgame equipment is relic stuff and for the life of me i cannot understand or drum up the desire to understand it

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

a lot of the extreme endgame equipment is relic stuff and for the life of me i cannot understand or drum up the desire to understand it

I just care about relic weapons.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah from what i understand hunting down the armor seems nearly impossible. just pay attention to when expeditions are shiny and it says there's a weapon

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I know you can send the relic quests and stuff to each other, and the relic armor looks pretty sick, but I don't have the drive to seek out and farm every piece.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

apparently if you complete the SP content you get access to a couple of Grank monsters, won't have to bug people to hunt ash kechas anymore.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

Also, my current equipment set just has carving celeb, crit +2 and status crit to go with my teostra blast sns and I can't imagine something more entertaining, but I can tell that it's a bit defensively lacking. I really wish MH games had like cosmetic armor upgrades that you could quest for or so,etching so you could get the best of both worlds.

If you get to a certain point online you can dye your armor different colors for free, including psychedelic rainbow if you beat a really hard SP quest, but yeah cosmetic armor slots would be cool

Also if people want clownsuit ideas look up gaijinhunter on YouTube, he has a few good suit templates I just discovered and no doubt you can find more. He pointed out a sick Kushala/Chameleos set I think I'm gonna shoot for, with one of my charms I can get Evasion+2/Status Atk+2/Sharpness+1/Focus/Earplugs/Windproof (Lo) on it :iia: Also it doesn't look too clowny

E:

Bobnumerotres posted:

apparently if you complete the SP content you get access to a couple of Grank monsters, won't have to bug people to hunt ash kechas anymore.

Yeah as you hit g1/2/3 you unlock new SP missions, including fighting some monsters that would otherwise be online-only like Chameleos. The Caravan Ash Kecha mission is also the best way to grind high-level Frenzy crystals solo

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 11, 2016

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Anyone hunting right now?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

one cool thing about bug staff is that triple-buff (maybe just orage+white also) gives you Low Earplugs for free.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
This game is a lot of fun, but I find it insanely overwhelming. Im stuck on a monster now and i dont really feel like Im getting any better at fighting him. I dunno how any of the mechanics in this game work at all, i dont know where I can buy any healing items that are worth poo poo. What are the mission I should be doing? Theres like 3 quest givers and expeditions and quests from NPCs in the town and this plot about some gemstone. I dont even know if I like the weapon Im using yet and my friend is talking about completing an armor set. Its just a lot to take in an the reason why I havent touched this game in months since buying it....

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

wycoon. a little imp dude in town, can multiply items with farms. multiply blue shrooms, so you can combine those with herbs to make healing potions. multiply your honey while you're at it for mega potions.

at the arena you can try out every weapon in the game, sword n board + standard hammer are very simple and i'd recommend those while you get used to the game.

several of the earliest monsters you can fight make good armor sets, keep killing them until you have the mats for their sets. go the smithy and check what parts you need to upgrade the weapons you like so you know what to kill/farm next.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Im using the long sword right now. It feels pretty weak but its probably just me. Ill have to go check out that item multiplyer guy. How do you unlock the bigger monsters? Is it by doing quest in town or by going up to the guild and doing the quests from ppl in that big building where you do multiplayer?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

Im using the long sword right now. It feels pretty weak but its probably just me. Ill have to go check out that item multiplyer guy. How do you unlock the bigger monsters? Is it by doing quest in town or by going up to the guild and doing the quests from ppl in that big building where you do multiplayer?

You need to do key quests, which you have to look up because the game doesn't tell you which ones are key. Town and Gathering Hall quests are entirely separate from each other, and town is balanced for single player.

someone else can maybe post a key quest list because I forgot what I used.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH4U:_Caravan_Quests#1.E2.98.85_Caravan_Quests

list of all the quests, key quests are highlighted.

for who knows what reason the game makes you do stupid farm and small monster quests at first but once you fight actual bosses it really opens up.

and yeah, sadly the game goes out of its way to be obtuse and youll be using this wiki a lot.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
every day for me is a fight to not just play mh4 and only mh4

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The MH4U Database app by Daviancorp is insanely useful, way more convenient than browsing the wiki on your phone or whatever. Definitely pick that up.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah sofia pointed me to this https://sites.google.com/site/pingsdex/pingsmh4gdex

has all equipment, monsters, quests, etc. along with a lot of handy filters and stuff in a cute little program, better than swimming through a website.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Austrian mook posted:

i'm not a Long Sword pro but from what I understand it's a DPS weapon- not great strength but you can combo for days once you get the hang of it. Stick to the quests from the caravan crew, the Gathering Hall is for multiplayer (you can do those quests solo but the monsters have jacked up stats because the game assumes you're running with a crew of 4)

I've not played dark souls et al but people who have played both have made favorable comparisons to Souls and MH. Combat that centers around understanding monster behavior and how your character animates, and you're also better off getting help and advice from other players. this is the most accessible MH game to date if you can believe it!

absolutely anything posted:

every day for me is a fight to not just play mh4 and only mh4

i lose this fight every day

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmao austrian mook got probed and he used the term social justice warriors unironically

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008
When are yall playing again, I don't really have anything to downgrade myself with so I'd just overpower everything. I haven't played besides the occasional one or two hunts for months and will likely gently caress up enough to balance it a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Where are the iframes when you dodge, is it at the start? Sadly after over 150 hours between this and 3U I'm unable to reliably use iframes, I mostly use the dodge to get the gently caress out of the way.

• Locked thread