Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well what's there to believe when the only footage of a movie you see before it comes out is painfully unfunny?

I'm hearing a bunch of people say it was better than they thought, though, so my interest has risen from "I'm definitely never going to see this piece of poo poo." to "I might rent this in a few months and see whether or not it actually is a piece of poo poo."

Sorry, but the movie, like the trailers, is really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Man, that opening car crash action sequence -- for all its obvious CG -- was loving bananas. Tim Miller constructed that thing for maximum impact and he landed it with style.

I think that's the key to this movie; take away the winking humor, you get a basic origin movie, but they hit the expected beats well enough that, at worst, it's a solid-if-forgettable entry into the superhero canon. Add the humor back in, though, and it works with the story (as opposed to lazily sitting on top of it) to create something just a few dozen degrees off normal.

Basically this crew fully embraced what they were doing and were talented enough to make it count despite itself, but were self aware enough to riff off it and have fun. It may not have had the panache of the Jump Street movies, but that's a little like saying Kelly's Heroes didn't have the panache of The Dirty Dozen. It doesn't need to be that good, it's wonderful on its own terms. (Of course, I say all that reeeeally hoping that I'm not the only schmuck who loves Kelly's Heroes.)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope Ryan Reynolds just really takes this further and makes appearances as Deadpool at award shows and poo poo like that. I'm glad that this seems to be a success and hope he just goes with it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Saw an early showing tonight. It was very good! Only a couple bad/flat jokes and the CGI is obviously budget, but the action is good, the dialogue and delivery really shined.

The audience liked it so much, they clapped several times during the film. The americlap meme is real.

Also, Stan Lee is a dj for a strip club. :quagmire:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I had the same story blank spot with Movie Deadpool as I have Comic Deadpool: why is he all scarred up and ugly as poo poo? I get that Weapon X gave him Wolverine's healing power so it cured his cancer and he's functionally immortal because of it, but I've missed the point where it corresponds to "oh, and he's just totally ugly to boot".

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MisterBibs posted:

I had the same story blank spot with Movie Deadpool as I have Comic Deadpool: why is he all scarred up and ugly as poo poo? I get that Weapon X gave him Wolverine's healing power so it cured his cancer and he's functionally immortal because of it, but I've missed the point where it corresponds to "oh, and he's just totally ugly to boot".

It didn't cure his cancer, it just keeps it from killing him. His entire body is cancer cells, pretty much.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I CALLED IT. I loving CALLED IT.

I knew this movie was gonna be way more rad than the trailers depicted, but none of you fuckers believed me.

Nobody believed me either, and I saw it multiple times and worked on the trailers so I wouldn't feel bad.

Also my opinion is suspect, but that's neither here nor there.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

kiimo posted:

Nobody believed me either, and I saw it multiple times and worked on the trailers so I wouldn't feel bad.

Also my opinion is suspect, but that's neither here nor there.

people still give you poo poo for Pixels, huh.

well, you were right about this movie, for sure. It's pretty goddamn great.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

His entire body is cancerous, but his body is also constantly healing the cancer. So it's pretty much he gets cancer, his body eliminates it and makes him healthy again, and then the cancer immediately comes back, his body heals it, repeat for infinity.

It's why he can heal from anything, because his body is in a constant state of regeneration or healing to fight off his cancer.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It didn't cure his cancer, it just keeps it from killing him. His entire body is cancer cells, pretty much.

Codependent Poster posted:

His entire body is cancerous, but his body is also constantly healing the cancer. So it's pretty much he gets cancer, his body eliminates it and makes him healthy again, and then the cancer immediately comes back, his body heals it, repeat for infinity.

It's why he can heal from anything, because his body is in a constant state of regeneration or healing to fight off his cancer.

:stare: drat, I'm not sure why I didn't realize that, given how long I read his comics. That's legitimately horrifying.

e: vvv Eh, I've always found the lowest points for him was when they did pathos. I made zero effort to read the next writer's stuff after it ended with Deadpool wanting to die and stuff. I liked the joining-the-Xmen-made-a-bunch-of-pancakes-had-a-copy-of-himself-from-discarded-bits-Deadpool-Corps stuff.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 12, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MisterBibs posted:

:stare: drat, I'm not sure why I didn't realize that, given how long I read his comics. That's legitimately horrifying.

Yeah, there's a lot of legit pathos with Deadpool. The best stuff with the character makes use of it; the worst stuff with the character actively ignores it in the name of jokes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well what's there to believe when the only footage of a movie you see before it comes out is painfully unfunny?

I'm hearing a bunch of people say it was better than they thought, though, so my interest has risen from "I'm definitely never going to see this piece of poo poo." to "I might rent this in a few months and see whether or not it actually is a piece of poo poo."

The script leaked years ago and was pretty much universally lauded, though.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So I saw it with some friends tonight, and like many people the trailers had me ready to hate this movie. But god drat, that was funny as poo poo. Most of my favorite scenes have already been hit on, but we loving lost it during the post credit scene because we were trying to guess what it was going to be during the credits and got it right.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Movie was dope as hell, and Ryan Reynolds was charming as fuuuuuuuuuuck.

I hope it does well.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Ryan reynolds should ONLY play Deadpool from now on till perpetuity

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

For anyone interested, I did an article about all the different Easter eggs and references in the movie. It's a work in progress.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This movie is so loving good. It's the script but so much loving better. I'm so happy. So loving happy.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

MisterBibs posted:

It's also why he's considered insane. His brain cells are also in a constant state of flux. The X-Men used him as a mental conference room when they held a telepathic conversation to avoid being psychically overheard.

He also uses it to cover his own actions. Wolverine calls him on it, too. He's not nearly as crazy as he pretends to be. It lets him get away with a lot of bullshit, but remember he IS a highly trained mercenary and quite competent.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Worth it for the Stan Lee cameo alone.

I wont give it 10 for being perfect because it's not. It gets 10 for loving nailing Deadpool as a character and absolutly exceeding expectations on a clearly limited budget. Any problems Deadpool has really come down to Fox didnt give em enough cash - but the movie is self aware of that and turns it into a great running gag. That self awareness and willingness to even draw attention to it's own flaws was perfectly done. It earns the R-Rating big time and it looks like they cut a few things that were too harsh even for that. Again, referenced and turned into a gag. It's got about as much fat on it as Ryan Reynold's abs - very fast paced and to be honest could have done with another 10 minutes. Credits are hysterical, stick around to the end of them.

And holy poo poo, it's hilarious. Absolute machine gun it just never lets up hysterical.

The plot is really generic origin movie, it's threadbare to say the least. Altho I was not expecting Wade to get the girl in the end. Internation Womens Day was so goddamn funny, but the whole days of the calendar thing was brilliant too.

There is poo poo you are gonnna miss, there's a lot of background gags.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So far this is the feel good Christmas movie of the year!

There are little hints about it being Christmas time. Wade and Veronica were wearing Xmas sweaters two years earlier. There was an advent calendar on the wall of Deadpool's house. Deadpool talks about visiting someone on his naughty list. I'm sure there's more.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I saw Hail, Caesar last night and when I left the theater there was a guy sitting on a bench cosplaying Deadpool. He was totally in character with snarky lines and everything. I should have taken a picture.

That's my Deadpool story.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Ehud posted:

I saw Hail, Caesar last night and when I left the theater there was a guy sitting on a bench cosplaying Deadpool. He was totally in character with snarky lines and everything. I should have taken a picture.

That's my Deadpool story.

I didn't see any full-blown cosplayers, but there were tons of Deadpool hoodies being worn.

Hey Gavok - minor trivia bit for your article: Deadpool states he is from Regina at one point in the movie. Ryan Reynolds filmed Just Friends in Regina.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Probably a dozen or so full blown cosplayers in my theater last night. And god were they loud before and after. But man movie was hilarious, would go again.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

So far this is the feel good Christmas movie of the year!

There are little hints about it being Christmas time. Wade and Veronica were wearing Xmas sweaters two years earlier. There was an advent calendar on the wall of Deadpool's house. Deadpool talks about visiting someone on his naughty list. I'm sure there's more.

During the scene where he is talking to the taxi driver at the beginning, the driver says something about it being April.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Canned Panda posted:

During the scene where he is talking to the taxi driver at the beginning, the driver says something about it being April.

Drats, I must have missed that part.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:
Thoroughly and happily surprised. Trailers looked like utter garbage, but went against my better judgment and it paid off.

Pros:

-Colossus was awesome
-Humor was more Kelly/Remender and less Daniel Way, even though there were references to Way's run
-NTW was a pretty cool character and the outfit was amazing. Comic bookesque and looks better than anything the X-movies have put forward; the entire costume department was on point.
-Cameos done correctly - everyone advanced the plot in some way and it wasn't just "HEY LOOK, NAMELESS MUTANT WHO MAY OR MAY NOT BE IN THE COMICS" just for the sake of it.
-4th wall breaking was used more for narrative structure than the tongue-in-cheek stuff
-BOB!!!
-Fluidity of the action was fun to watch; it's cool to actually see the people fighting and makes for a more memorable movie

Cons:

- Given his size and lack of a decent actor, I'm not sure we'll see a powered down Colossus that matches this one
-Fake weapon-x cheapened the movie a bit, even if they did use actual X-men for the rest of the movie.
-So what exactly is Ajax's power?
-If a rated R X-Force with a Hugh Jackman Wolverine doesn't happen because he's done, I'll cry.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Donde Esta posted:

-So what exactly is Ajax's power?

He's basically an even more evil Darkman with cyborg enhancements to make him even stronger and faster while having no pain perceptions in the comics, not sure what they did for him in the movie as I haven't seen it yet.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I really enjoyed it, they seemed determined to have more Easter eggs per second than any other film in history, but it was very entertaining.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Saw the movie last night, it was fantastic. As someone who saw only that test reel from a few years ago and the red band trailer from last year, I was pleasantly surprised how well this movie turned out. The international women's day joke and the bits with the cabbie were loving hilarious to boot

On the subject of Deadpool, has anyone played the game? It's on sale all over the place today and I'm curious if it's any good for ~20 bucks?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Handsome Ralph posted:

On the subject of Deadpool, has anyone played the game? It's on sale all over the place today and I'm curious if it's any good for ~20 bucks?

The game is NOWHERE near the level of the movie,but you could do worse.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Saw the movie last night, it was fantastic. As someone who saw only that test reel from a few years ago and the red band trailer from last year, I was pleasantly surprised how well this movie turned out. The international women's day joke and the bits with the cabbie were loving hilarious to boot

I got a few laughs out of the dialog/jokes/gags, but the actual game itself was a bit lackluster on the combat engine.

Just watch all of the cutscenes on Youtube and save $20.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

VolticSurge posted:

The game is NOWHERE near the level of the movie,but you could do worse.

If anyone can say it's as enjoyable/good as that Wolverine Origins game was that came out awhile ago, I'll grab it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Handsome Ralph posted:

If anyone can say it's as enjoyable/good as that Wolverine Origins game was that came out awhile ago, I'll grab it.

It's nowhere near that game. Man, that game kicked loving rear end.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Donde Esta posted:

Thoroughly and happily surprised. Trailers looked like utter garbage, but went against my better judgment and it paid off.

-If a rated R X-Force with a Hugh Jackman Wolverine doesn't happen because he's done, I'll cry.

drat Id be sad if this doesn't happen now.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's nowhere near that game. Man, that game kicked loving rear end.

Yeah,except for the Trask Labs or whatever level it was,that poo poo dragged on FOREVER.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I loved the game except the final boss fight. I can handle doing the bosses again and remembering their patterns, doing all three at the same loving time was bullshit and I'm not ashamed to admit that I used CheatEngine to lock my health to full after my umpteenth time losing the bulk of my health seconds into the fight.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Wade Wilson posted:

He's basically an even more evil Darkman with cyborg enhancements to make him even stronger and faster while having no pain perceptions in the comics, not sure what they did for him in the movie as I haven't seen it yet.

Wow it's been nearly 10 years since I read most of the Kelly run and completely missed that this wasn't an original character.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Saw this last night and came away impressed. I don't know why, but Marvel movies - even those to come out of Fox - seem to have better actor:character pairings than their DC counterparts. I'm not sure how much of that is happy coincidence and how much is confirmation bias. Ryan Reynolds's movie persona is already basically Deadpool's; Robert Downey Jr. fits Tony Stark like a glove. It really helps to sell the movie, because the movie is entirely reliant on Deadpool as a character. A lot of cape-and-cowl movies can get by if the actor isn't a spectacular match (I, for one, did not like Bale as Batman at all) by compensating with incredible set pieces or compelling deuteragonists or whatever, but Deadpool was going to live or die based on how well Reynolds could sell us Wade Wilson and he fuckin' nailed it.

Action comedies that rely on black humor and absurdity tend to function better if the sociopath at the center (Archer comes to mind immediately) is competent, or even excellent, at whatever his purported job may be; this movie made generally good decisions by allowing the audience to laugh at Deadpool's expense ("... riiight up Main Street..." and the International Women's Day joke) but also depicting Deadpool as a genuinely terrifying combatant and murderer. It makes sense that Colossus would want to recruit him into the X-Men. A lesser movie would have had season-1-of-Archer syndrome.

The pacing was perfect when you consider this movie is basically just an origin story punched up with better jokes and a more charming central actor. Reynolds has always been a likable lead, and he's managed to make otherwise-intolerable movies less bad for me (The Proposal sweet Jesus), but he really is in his element as Deadpool. One of his strengths has always been the manner in which he portrays a facade - he oscillates between zany, high-tempo comedy and machinegun punchlines and moments wherein you can see the mask for its brittleness, and he knows you can see it, he's basically just a very articulate faker, but then zoom we're back to the jokes so the pathos simmers again. His character in Adventureland seems like the best parallel for Wade Wilson, to me, incidentally; just, you know, with guns and murder and stuff.

Colossus was a good straight man, but I'm looking forward to Cable's inclusion in the sequel, perhaps. Cable works so effectively with Deadpool in the trade paperbacks I've read because he starts at a similarly deadpan focal point as Colossus does in this movie, and it's always a funny surprise when he shows genuine affection for Wade or actually endorses or assists with one of his insane schemes. I loved Cable and Deadpool the most when Deadpool was allowed to be badass, like Cable, and Cable was allowed to be madcap, like Deadpool. Negasonic Teenage Warhead was about as good as you're ever going to get for a character that probably began as "millennials, am I right!?" Morena Baccarin is excellent. TJ Miller is excellent.

Ajax/Francis is boring because I think he's supposed to be; he is the least compelling element of the movie, and like most comic book adaptations of villainy he is less of an actual character than he is a narrative signal that the story is going to get dark(er, or dark again). His "what's my name?" gimmick was okay; I didn't find it grating, I guess. The movie spends an appropriate amount of time establishing his motivations, which is to say basically none. This is Deadpool's movie, and they wisely chose to let Reynolds just carry the loving thing.

If I had to ascribe an arbitrary score to this film, I'd give it four out of five stars. It's that good. The CGI is cheap but unobtrusive. The jokes are funny. The characters we're supposed to care about, we do. It's as close to flawless an execution of this concept could be, given the players and budget involved. Unironically recommended.

Quick hits:
  • Best jokes: "I bet it feels huge in this tiny hand," International Women's Day, the bit where Deadpool encourages Dopinder's kidnapping/murder plot, virtually every fourth-wall break they included (which was mercifully not too many)
  • Apparently Morena Baccarin's character is a cape in the comic books, which I either forgot about or she features in Cable and Deadpool (my chief exposure to the character) very little
  • The movie is expertly done enough to where I would not be surprised to see bigger-name cameos on the table for the sequel, but I almost hope they eschew that route and continue with the "strange that there are so few X-Men in the X-Mansion"
  • If you have any concerns about the action setpieces in this movie, I can assure you that they're basically incredible, with an almost shot-for-shot remake of the CGI test footage included, and some pretty inventive stuff later in the film
  • Some pretty good choices for obligatory "dissonant soundtrack" scenes, and "X Gon' Give It To Ya" will be stuck in my head (again) for the foreseeable future

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Better than I expected, and while some of the jokes fell flat, it was funny enough and had a lot of nice little touches, it's actually quite dense in how much it is throwing out at you despite the story being incredibly simple. The opening credit gag is so simple and yet works incredibly effectively to get you into the tone of the movie, very well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

guts and bolts posted:

[*] Apparently Morena Baccarin's character is a cape in the comic books, which I either forgot about or she features in Cable and Deadpool (my chief exposure to the character) very little

In the comics she's Copycat. She's basically Mystique (blue skin shapeshifter mutant) with the added ability to copy powers like Rogue. Her backstory was mostly the same as the movie. She was a prostitute (hiding her true form) and Wade was a merc and they had a thing going on. Wade got cancer and made sure to leave her in order to spare her.

She also went on to become a mercenary, but was more of a good guy in the beginning. Deadpool was a pure villain in the early days, so they played it like he was this stalker, abusive ex-boyfriend for a while. She faded into obscurity for a bit and he was revitalized as an interesting antihero with his own book. Since Deadpool was a good guy, they reintroduced Copycat as an obsessed and psychotic ex-girlfriend bent on messing with him and I guess getting him back. Eventually, they reconciled and became a couple again... until the writer was leaving the book and decided to "put the toys back in the box" and have Copycat leave him. The next writer did a story where Sabretooth killed Copycat and she's been mostly forgotten about since then.

That was before Cable/Deadpool happened, which is why she's news to you.

Coincidentally, the currently storyline in Deadpool's series could very well retcon her death away. Which could be a bit awkward, since Deadpool's currently married.

• Locked thread