Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Release Date: February 12th
Director: Tim Miller
Writers: Rhett Reese, Paul Wernick
Starring: Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool), Morena Baccarin (Copycat), Ed Skrein (Ajax), T.J. Miller (Weasel), Gina Carano (Angel Dust), Brianna Hildebrand (Negasonic Teenage Warhead), Stefan Kapičić (Colossus), Leslie Uggams (Blind Al)
Budget: Est. $50,000,000
Trailer: Red Band

Deadpool is the story of former special forces operative Wade Wilson who, upon discovering he's riddled with cancer, agrees to subject himself to a deadly experiment. He survives and gains accelerated healing powers, but also accelerated cancer growth, disfiguring his skin and causing his mind to come a bit unhinged. Under his new identity, he hunts down the man who nearly destroyed his life.

Also known as "The Merc with a Mouth", Deadpool is (in)famous in the comics for his dark humor, sometimes random behavior, catch phrases and 4th wall breaking. He's also pretty good with swords and guns.

Deadpool (as Wade Wilson) was originally spotted in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, where he played a support role and later villain. The events of that film pertaining to Wade will be completely ignored for very obvious reasons.

It's worth mentioning this film would probably not have been made if it weren't for leaked test footage in 2014 that went viral. It is debatable weather the leak was deliberate, but it spurred Fox to approve filming after several years on the back burner.

goon testimonial:

Gavok posted:

The press embargo is over so I'm allowed to tell people on the internet that the movie is fun and good and funny. Thumbs up.

peep these clips and promotional materials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ04-uAYohM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4o6ueieI_o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr1YnpLiJC8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAZnyE-I7dg

Freakazoid_ fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Looks funny, hope it does well. I'll redbox it

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ecks is going to give it to you, ecks is going to give it to you, ecks is going to give it to you, ecks is going to give it to you (the thread)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

And I expect this movie to be about as good, too

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

:allears: Can't wait for next Friday.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

ecks is going to give it to you, ecks is going to give it to you, ecks is going to give it to you, ecks is going to give it to you (the thread)

The song is stuck in my head, but it isn't that annoying.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I got a Deadpool mask off amazon and am making it into a Headpool complete with propeller to take with me when I go.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I'm seeing ads for this everywhere. I think the studio might be a bit optimistic about its chances, but it's pretty funny that wallpapering the city in obnoxious come-ons is exactly what the comic Deadpool would do if he had a movie coming out.

Plus TJ Miller!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll be glad when the advertising campaign for this movie is over. It's had more than its fair share of groan-worthy ads.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I'll be glad when the advertising campaign for this movie is over. It's had more than its fair share of groan-worthy ads.

If the movie is a disappointment there will be a gently caress ton of extra footage for spergs to use in their improved versions.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The marketing for this movie has been spot-on. You're crazy.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ConfusedUs posted:

The marketing for this movie has been spot-on. You're crazy.

I won't dispute that it's been an effective campaign. That's not mutually exclusive with earning a sigh and an eyeroll with every new ad.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I will say that this movie's ad campaign featured sincere PSAs about checking for testicular/breast cancer delivered in character by Deadpool.

I think whether that's clever or dumb is personal preference, but it's definitely unique.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
This looks awful.

I can't imagine a worse hell than 2 hours of ryan reynolds cast as ryan reynolds in a mask.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Most goons seem to be hating this so that means it'll be a success...

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Goons tend to hate things that are specifically trying to target an emotion in this case being something trying to make you laugh so its groan worthy and too lolrandom

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Goon hate doesn't often spur me to be defiant but the amount of speculative outrage is like sweet ambrosia.

So mad out their goofy comic movie because of *high art* reasons.

Like, remember when Iron Man beat up a pendant-wearing grandpa in a giant metal suit?
Remember when a talking raccoon got blasted drunk and had an emotional breakdown about being a Frankenstein-esque monster?
Just chill out dudes. You're not cool because you don't like something.

I'm gonna see the movie because I think Reynolds is an okay dude and often saves otherwise lovely movies. Plus Deadpool is funny when it isn't monkeycheese (which I'd basically only when Daniel Way wrote him but that image stuck with a lot of people.)

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

the_american_dream posted:

Goons tend to hate things that are specifically trying to target an emotion in this case being something trying to make you laugh so its groan worthy and too lolrandom

I remember a lot of people here praising the new Tennage Mutant Ninja turtles movie before and after it came out. So I rarely trust other goons.

Inzombiac posted:

I'm gonna see the movie because I think Reynolds is an okay dude and often saves otherwise lovely movies. Plus Deadpool is funny when it isn't monkeycheese (which I'd basically only when Daniel Way wrote him but that image stuck with a lot of people.)

So far the few clips I've seem look funny, like comedy funny, not like Deadpool running around screaming random catchphrases. So I guess it will be an okay movie.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Desperado Bones posted:

I remember a lot of people here praising the new Tennage Mutant Ninja turtles movie before and after it came out. So I rarely trust other goons.

Wait what? Pretty sure people were making GBS threads all over the movie.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Scyantific posted:

Wait what? Pretty sure people were making GBS threads all over the movie.

I remember people telling it was like amazing and blah blah, even after the lovely trailer. That's why I stopped following the thread. but I guess the ones who "liked" it got silent once everyone else realized it was bad :v:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Desperado Bones posted:

I remember people telling it was like amazing and blah blah, even after the lovely trailer. That's why I stopped following the thread. but I guess the ones who "liked" it got silent once everyone else realized it was bad :v:

Wasn't that bad tbh, it was just standard Michael Bay fare :shobon:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Looks fun. Good movie to see when drunk.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ryan Reynolds has been trying really hard for 13 years to get this made so for his sake I hope it's a success.

But on the other hand ....

Inzombiac posted:

Plus Deadpool is funny when it isn't monkeycheese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arRflgkc2Sg
Okay Ryan you're losing me now

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The press embargo is over so I'm allowed to tell people on the internet that the movie is fun and good and funny. Thumbs up.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

But on the other hand ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arRflgkc2Sg
Okay Ryan you're losing me now

Thankfully, the movie is not like this.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

You couldn't pay me to sit through this piece of poo poo.

I say this as a fan of other comic book movies and other Ryan Reynolds movies. All the pre-release marketing just makes this look completely loving intolerable and I don't understand why some people actually find it endearing or funny. It's like people who laugh at The Big Bang Theory. That's not funny. Why are you laughing at that? Give me one good reason why that poo poo deserves your laughter.

I know humor's subjective and poo poo, but from every trailer, poster, etc. I've seen for this movie, there's nothing humorous about it. It just makes a bunch of lame attempts at humor that don't land.

Now maybe the actual movie is funny and the multitude of pre-release marketing was misleading and not representative of the final product, but if that's the case, well good job because it made me never want to see it.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 7, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Okay.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We get it, people don't like a thing because they don't like the marketing of the thing.

While we're talking about marketing, I went to see Hail, Ceaser because the marketing made it sound like it would be a movie about one thing. The movie was completely different from how it was marketed though! It was still a good movie though.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm going to give this movie "full X-Men Honors," which means I'm going to see it four times in the theater

(I mean, unless it REALLY subseeds my expectations)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Did you see X-Men Origins: Wolverine four times?

Desperado Bones posted:

I guess after seeing the TMNT movie those people were Shell Shocked.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
No I saw it once, and I saw X3: The Last Stand not at all because I realized thanks to the internet it was going to be a garbo movie...... internet's blowing the other way this time

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I mean, Wolverine: Origins REALLY subseeded my expectations

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Gavok posted:

Thank you. I like fun and good and funny movies.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

You couldn't pay me to sit through this piece of poo poo.

I say this as a fan of other comic book movies and other Ryan Reynolds movies. All the pre-release marketing just makes this look completely loving intolerable and I don't understand why some people actually find it endearing or funny. It's like people who laugh at The Big Bang Theory. That's not funny. Why are you laughing at that? Give me one good reason why that poo poo deserves your laughter.

I know humor's subjective and poo poo, but from every trailer, poster, etc. I've seen for this movie, there's nothing humorous about it. It just makes a bunch of lame attempts at humor that don't land.

Now maybe the actual movie is funny and the multitude of pre-release marketing was misleading and not representative of the final product, but if that's the case, well good job because it made me never want to see it.

Cool.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I'm probably going to end up seeing this based on the irreverent marketing campaign taking some risks and doing something interesting. Seems like it might be a nice palette cleanser, because while endless quips are prevalent in pretty much every Marvel superhero movie, one that doesn't take itself seriously and breaks the fourth wall constantly is going to be a nice change of pace. I normally can't stand Ryan Reynolds but this part is clearly perfect for him.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
The film is getting good reviews, if it turns into a big hit and there is a sequel, could Wolverine show up or is that a different universe now?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

jet sanchEz posted:

The film is getting good reviews, if it turns into a big hit and there is a sequel, could Wolverine show up or is that a different universe now?

No, it's the same universe, and apparently Deadpool makes reference to Mr. Jackman in this movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

This looks like a fun movie and I'll probably see it.

It can't be worse than Wolverine: Origins or Days of Future Past.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Yeah it can, there's nothing worse than an unfunny comedy.

I still don't know what to think of it, I've liked Deadpool in the past but I hate the trailers.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Phylodox posted:

No, it's the same universe, and apparently Deadpool makes reference to Mr. Jackman in this movie.

A Deadpool/Wolverine road movie would be wicked, Jackman can be very funny

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks a lot better than BvS, that's for sure.

jet sanchEz posted:

I know Jackman's said he's done with Wolvie after the next Wolverine film, but I bet the prospect of doing a comedy would probably get him to reconsider.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Gavok posted:

Thankfully, the movie is not like this.
So how different is it tonally from the trailers? Because I want to be excited about it, but the trailers have been pretty... not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

^^Edit: Gavok posted on the Comic book movie thread, it has a few spoilers so beware. He said it wasn't so monkeycheese as many thought it would be.

Davros1 posted:

Looks a lot better than BvS, that's for sure.

Saw the BvS trailer on the movies, I...wasn't excited. I love Batman but it looked so depressive instead of awesome :(

jet sanchEz posted:

Deadpool thinking he is an X-men and believing that Wolverine is his best friend ever....and calling him Hugh Jackman and wondering why he isn't using his Australian accent? Yeah, I'm on it.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 7, 2016

• Locked thread