Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
I think it came up in the bad thread, but it's worth noting that the Michigan bill everybody is up in arms about doesn't actually ban sodomy. A bill relating to animal abuse registries required some standardization of related statutes, so the existing sodomy law (which sadly is also the bestiality law) was slightly amended to remove a couple 'shalls' and change the tense of the verbs. Some low info lefty news source misunderstood the amendment and now everybody is getting it wrong.

I mean, Michigan has a horrible legislature that is constantly doing dumb poo poo. But this time we didn't actually do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Meanwhile, in WV --

While the state is facing a 350m budget shortfall that must be solved in order for the state to stay open, as we have a balanced budget amendment (which is the dumbest loving poo poo); Republican legislators are tackling such high priority issues as making WV one of the very few states where you can concealed carry without a permit, more right to work nonsense, a religious freedom restoration act, and more!

Thankfully, governor has said he's going to veto most of that, but I think concealed carry can get overturned with a simple majority vote.

Republicans passing bullshit amendments to avoid dealing with the budget is the legislative equivalent of a college fraternity going on a week-long bender instead of studying for final exams.

Gravel Gravy posted:

You don't speak for SAs convicted felons.

Yeah, TCC is over that way.
|
|
V

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 9, 2016

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Armyman25 posted:

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but wouldn't the "well regulated" portion of the 2nd Amendment authorise rules and limits on the use, carry, ownership, etc of of arms?

All citizens are members of the unorganized militia. What is the interface of the regulation of that militia versus non-infringement of the right to bear arms?

More specifically, the militia is defined under the US Code as follows:

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are—
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

I don't know, have there ever been laws that openly framed themselves as regulating the unorganized militia?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

loving disgusting.

Just as the Founding Fathers intended! :downsgun::hf::shepface:

E: America is loving retarded.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The FBI is currently looking into regulating a militia in Oregon.

It's not going well.

For the militia.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Armyman25 posted:

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but wouldn't the "well regulated" portion of the 2nd Amendment authorise rules and limits on the use, carry, ownership, etc of of arms?

The argument is that that's not actually part of the law, just a reasoning put in. So if the Amendment said "The right for people to bear arms in a well regulated militia shall not be infringed", then you would have a stronger case.

As it stands, the bit about a "well regulated militia being necessary" just shows why the founders thought it should be included. You might think this is the same thing, but there's a lot of precedent for the founders wanting something and still erring on the side of individual rights in order to secure that goal.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Chantilly Say posted:

I don't know, have there ever been laws that openly framed themselves as regulating the unorganized militia?

I don't know, I thought it raised an interesting question though, but one that had probably been considered already.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

computer parts posted:

The argument is that that's not actually part of the law, just a reasoning put in. So if the Amendment said "The right for people to bear arms in a well regulated militia shall not be infringed", then you would have a stronger case.

As it stands, the bit about a "well regulated militia being necessary" just shows why the founders thought it should be included. You might think this is the same thing, but there's a lot of precedent for the founders wanting something and still erring on the side of individual rights in order to secure that goal.

My issue with this reading is that the same people who argue that it's not a literal requirement, only break away from their literal reading of the thing when it suits their purposes.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Armyman25 posted:

I don't know, I thought it raised an interesting question though, but one that had probably been considered already.

The answer depends on the make up of the SCOTUS at the time.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

axeil posted:

reposting in the hopes it can get more discussion, the US water system is in deep, poo poo with multiple cities having Flint-level badness in their pipes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/09/us/regulatory-gaps-leave-unsafe-lead-levels-in-water-nationwide.html

Well poo poo. Is this one of those things one could filter at home or are those not sturdy enough to handle lead? As someone who pretty exclusively drinks tap water all these articles about the terrible water system are more than a little disconcerting.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Well poo poo. Is this one of those things one could filter at home or are those not sturdy enough to handle lead? As someone who pretty exclusively drinks tap water all these articles about the terrible water system are more than a little disconcerting.

Filtering can help, but the biggest problem is that most of the midwest has basically a completely broken infrastructure that needs completely replaced.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

computer parts posted:

Right, but at the time of its writing "bear arms" didn't mean "owning a gun," it meant "serving in a militia."

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Filtering can help, but the biggest problem is that most of the midwest has basically a completely broken infrastructure that needs completely replaced.

So all we need to do is raise taxes to fix it, right? :suicide:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Kro-Bar posted:

So all we need to do is raise taxes to fix it, right? :suicide:

Fixing the US infrastructure is like a 10 trillion dollar proposition at this point.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Fixing the US infrastructure is like a 10 trillion dollar proposition at this point.

I can think of at least one place to scrounge up some cash

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

baw posted:

Happy Budget Day!

The cover image of the budget this year is a picture of Denali.

Trollbama strikes again!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

There's certainly some wasteful spending we could do without, but why should we define budget fights on where to cut? Shouldn't we, if we're actually liberals be redefining the narrative on terms of how to raise revenues?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Joementum posted:

The cover image of the budget this year is a picture of Denali.

Trollbama strikes again!

I wish we would have gotten Trollbama for all 8 years.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I sure am glad we spent so much money on the Iraq War and developing the F-35 instead of American infrastructure.

Military budgets über alles! :godwinning:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I sure am glad we spent so much money on the Iraq War and F-35 instead of American infrastructure.

Military budgets über alles! :godwinning:

We started loving this up in 80's.

Also if you're going to bitch about military boondoggle, let me point you to the F22.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AdmiralViscen posted:

Right, but at the time of its writing "bear arms" didn't mean "owning a gun," it meant "serving in a militia."

I'm seeing many conflicting viewpoints on that matter. It is worth noting though that it's not just "bear arms", it's "keep and bear arms".

It's not quite as old as the Founders, but the Dredd Scott case seems to indicate that it would be a personal right:

quote:

[If negroes were civilians,] It would give to persons of the negro race, who were recognized as citizens in any one State of the Union, the right...to keep and carry arms wherever they went.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

AdmiralViscen posted:

Yeah but also at the time "militia" meant "me and all the other white men in town" so this is not the best precedent to draw on

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Right but it's in context of arms being useful in various forms and that the difference between a civilian arm and a military arm was almost non-existent.

And at any rate, the constitution was written by a bunch of dudes who didn't think anyone other than their fellow rich white men should vote, so I am not really sure why we should remain so committed their vision.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Also if you're going to bitch about military boondoggle, let me point you to the F22.
There may not be a clear reason for its existence, but at least it's not a flying turd? I mean, it's my understanding that it's a good plane.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

And at any rate, the constitution was written by a bunch of dudes who didn't think anyone other than their fellow rich white men should vote, so I am not really sure why we should remain so committed their vision.

The Founders were awful but quite a bit of their "vision" that we're committed to is just random bullshit that's been attributed to or fundamentally linked to them to justify instituting policies and then never, ever changing them. (Cue CivilReligionChat)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

There may not be a clear reason for its existence, but at least it's not a flying turd? I mean, it's my understanding that it's a good plane.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/23/politics/f22-plane-isis/
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/77-billion-22-raptor-fleet-grounded-indefinitely/story?id=13545306
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-22_Raptor#Operational_problems

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

loving disgusting.

gentlemen we must pass without delay the Dump Wheelbarrows Full of Guns Every Dang Place Act, which will reduce crime and make families safer by literally flooding our fair state with loaded weapons

*bangs hand on podium emphatically; hand is clearly fused with a gun like in that Videodrome movie*

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Personally I think the "2nd is about militia's and only militias" argument is a double edged sword. I could easily see such an interpretation used to expand gun rights by the simple argument that if the people need to serve in a militia then it doesn't make sense to deny them arms of military value.

Edit: I think this actually came up in one of the cases that tested the original 1934(?) NFA where there was a challenge to it revolving around a SBR Shotgun "Sawed off shotgun". The Court upheld the law in part because shotguns were not in common use in the military at the time. This suggests that had they been in common use that it would have been ok.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 9, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Oh, I almost forgot! We're going to pass drug testing for welfare!

Welcome to WV, where we're literally always behind the loving times.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Oh, I almost forgot! We're going to pass drug testing for welfare!

Welcome to WV, where we're literally always behind the loving times.

Worked in Florida

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It might solve the red state issue of no taxation and no representation if everyone has to flee to the cities to get non fatal water.

But there's only a few places I know of that have a very basic plan for maintaining their water system let alone keeping it working in the future. (Seattle, protect the salmon)

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Right but it's in context of arms being useful in various forms and that the difference between a civilian arm and a military arm was almost non-existent.

Heretic!

Seriously though you're completely right. Sometimes it feels like a rewriting of the constitution is the only way our country doesn't continue circling the drain but then I stop and think about the people that would be responsible for drafting something at a new Constitutional Convention and then I start fantasizing about going and living in the woods forever

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Numlock posted:

Personally I think the "2nd is about militia's and only militias" argument is a double edged sword. I could easily see such an interpretation used to expand gun rights by the simple argument that if the people need to serve in a militia then it doesn't make sense to deny them arms of military value.

At the time the Bill of Rights was passed it was legal for private citizens to own the latest in military hardware so therefore I should be able to protect my house with a minefield

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Guess who supports most of the lobbying and financial power that directs legislative change and the SuperPACs that keep politicians in office? I'm sure you know the answer already in your heart.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RuanGacho posted:

It might solve the red state issue of no taxation and no representation if everyone has to flee to the cities to get non fatal water.

Rural areas don't have complex water systems though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yeah, in my experience it's mostly well. Not sure about the rural west and those water projects.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

I got relatives there who were all ready carrying illegally. This is going to be fun.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I genuinely believe Obama, as a relatively inexperienced senator turned President, still had a romantic and idealized view of Congress and what the relationship between said Congress and the Presidency should look like (ie majestic grand-bargains and Wilsonian idealism in rhetoric).

It wasn't until well into his second term that Obama seemingly dawned to the reality of today's Congress under his tenure (eg Eric Cantor's "we will thwart Obama's every move from the word 'Go.'" since Obama's first term) as well as the hosed up poo poo that Congress refused and was unable to act on (eg the Aurora, CO and Sandy Hook Elementary shootings, etc) and finally decided to himself "You know what? gently caress this poo poo."

A bit too little, too late, but still a welcome change.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The purpose of the second amendment was to make sure individuals had access to weapons and knew how to use them. It was both intended as and written as an individual right to prevent the federal government from disarming the population. The language "to bear arms (for the common defense)" was explicitly rejected by the Senate.

The problem is that this individual right is now completely irrelevant to the present time and the present debate (e.g. unrestricted use of semi-automatic weapons for purposes of individual self-defense). The problem is not that it has been warped from its intended meaning, but that it desperately needs to be updated, much like many of the restrictive and lovely parts of the Constitution already have been.

• Locked thread