Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

smg77 posted:

Maybe that's what we should be focusing on.

I have a better idea, lets focus on these weird outfits Hillary has been wearing. At her victory speech the other night she was wearing this Nuru jacket thing with some kind of weird insets it looked like the robot at the end of Logan's Run. Is she trying to tell us something?

edit: im pissed I cant find a pic now, I guess it wasnt yesterday it must have been a couple days ago. it was v.strange, almost stiff and shaped like a teepee

gobbagool has issued a correction as of 23:06 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
My mom and I were talking about her weird clothes this cycle and mom thinks it's because her body's gone downhill.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

gobbagool posted:

I have a better idea, lets focus on these weird outfits Hillary has been wearing. At her victory speech the other night she was wearing this Nuru jacket thing with some kind of weird insets it looked like the robot at the end of Logan's Run. Is she trying to tell us something?

edit: im pissed I cant find a pic now, I guess it wasnt yesterday it must have been a couple days ago. it was v.strange, almost stiff and shaped like a teepee

As a Hillary supporter I also agree her clothes have been very weird lately. Maybe lizard people don't have fashion sense?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Maybe her clothing is made out of some sort of explosive fiber, in anticipation of a daring escape attempt

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
they'll have to sub poena hillary if they want anything

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Maoist Pussy posted:

What sort of prison is likely to be able to hold a Lizardperson?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

smg77 posted:

As a Hillary supporter I also agree her clothes have been very weird lately. Maybe lizard people don't have fashion sense?

My theory is that she's a big Mass Effect fan

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Like the Joker or that guy from James Bond, the twist is that the villain wanted to be caught all along.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

smg77 posted:

Yeah maybe they require some sort of exoskeleton to operate in full atmosphere, or adding the human emotion module required an extra half rack of cpu and battery

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
This is good news for mi abuela

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...6571_story.html

Or not

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Zombies' Downfall posted:

My mom and I were talking about her weird clothes this cycle and mom thinks it's because her body's gone downhill.

I don't think it's that at all.

I think she is trying to shed the pantsuit image.

Instead she dresses like a dictator from the year 2500. more like 2016

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Is this as big as it sounds?

quote:

The U.S. Justice Department has given immunity from prosecution to a State Department employee who helped set up and manage the private email server Hillary Clinton used for her work as secretary of state, the Washington Post reported on Wednesday.

The Post described the investigation as a criminal inquiry, a label Clinton and her staff have resisted as they seek to reassure voters that the frontrunner to become the Democratic Party's nominee in November's presidential election is not in legal jeopardy.

(Reuters, reporting on the original story from The Washington Post))

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
She should just wear a suit like a normal loving person.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

This is the guy who's been pleading the fifth who Clinton has been urging to cooperate. This is actually good for her, because the sooner he talks, the sooner the investigation ends.

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva
Hillary's email server was actually SkyNet, and the FBI was sent from the future to shut it down.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JeffersonClay posted:

This is the guy who's been pleading the fifth who Clinton has been urging to cooperate. This is actually good for her, because the sooner he talks, the sooner the investigation ends.

all right, but if there was nothing to any of this, why did the fbi need to offer this guy immunity in order to make him talk? was he just pleading the fifth all this time for no reason? if hes just covering his own rear end, like he did something wrong that had nothing to do with clinton, then why are the fbi giving him immunity? dont they normally give immunity to low-level schmos in order to get at higher level players?

look, im not sure if anthing criminal really happened, but people are being a bit cavalier about this being obviously nothing, big roll eyes. this is the fbi, not some congressional witchhunt.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JeffersonClay posted:

This is great news for Hillary

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

JeffersonClay posted:

Or maybe, you know, she was saying that because she wanted to seem up front and innocent, but she really hoped that he would never talk. If there was no wrongdoing then you don't need to plead the 5th nor do you need immunity. Obviously he thinks that there was some or he wouldn't have waited until immunity to talk.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Orkin Mang posted:

all right, but if there was nothing to any of this, why did the fbi need to offer this guy immunity in order to make him talk? was he just pleading the fifth all this time for no reason?

and why would the fbi be offering this guy immunity if they didnt suspect he knew something incriminating?

look, im not sure if anthing criminal really happened, but people are being a bit cavalier about this being obviously nothing, big roll eyes. this is the fbi, not some congressional witchhunt.

He's pleading the fifth because it's his right. Hillary wants him to talk. The FBI wants him to talk. Once they offer him immunity, he can no longer claim 5th amendment privilege and they can compel his testimony.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

etalian posted:

This is great news for Hillary

Unless you think she's been bluffing the whole time, telling him to cooperate, it's what she wanted.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

JeffersonClay posted:

He's pleading the fifth because it's his right. Hillary wants him to talk. The FBI wants him to talk. Once they offer him immunity, he can no longer claim 5th amendment privilege and they can compel his testimony.

Clinton wouldn't say publicly either way if if she didn't want him to talk, would she? She may believe she is innocent or that she is untouchable, but that is a naive way to think given the charges and situation she is in.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JeffersonClay posted:

yes, but why would he be pleading the fifth in the first place? if its just him or some other low level players that were misbehaving and clinton wasnt involved, then that might make some sense. but then why are the fbi offering him an immunity deal? arent immunity deals usually offered to low level players so investigators can get incriminating evidence against higher level people?

and of course hilarys playing this off like it's nothing, but it really doesnt sound like it.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JeffersonClay posted:

Unless you think she's been bluffing the whole time, telling him to cooperate, it's what she wanted.

what else is she gonna say? tell him to shut up?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I really think it would be best if Hillary went away and let America consider some new ideas.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Orkin Mang posted:

yes, but why would he be pleading the fifth in the first place? if its just him or some other low level players that were misbehaving and clinton wasnt involved, then that might make some sense. but then why are the fbi offering him an immunity deal? arent immunity deals usually offered to low level players so investigators can get incriminating evidence against higher level people?

and of course hilarys playing this off like it's nothing, but it really doesnt sound like it.

Yeah it's the same trick the FBI used to break the Mafia, you use things like immunity deals to get lower ranking people to implicate the next level up in the food chain.

You then repeat the same process for the next level of the organization.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Orkin Mang posted:

They need him to testify in order to finish the investigation. They can't finish the investigation while he's pleading the fifth. Once they offer him immunity, he can no longer plead the fifth, they can get his testimony, and the investigation can end.

Maybe the staffer was pleading the fifth because he thought he would get hosed with by partisans as a way to discredit Hillary, and now, having immunity, will happily testify about setting up the server.

Orkin Mang posted:

what else is she gonna say? tell him to shut up?

Call the whole thing a partisan witch hunt and support his constitutional rights. Avoid the issue.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

Yeah it's the same trick the FBI used to break the Mafia, you use things like immunity deals to get lower ranking people to implicate the next level up in the food chain.

You then repeat the same process for the next level of the organization.

exactly, so wtf. this guy refused to talk at first, plead the fifth, and only got him to talk after offering him immunity from prosecution (which suggests very strongly that he had a very real fear that he had committed criminal acts and would be prosecuted if he talked), which plea deals are typically offered to people in this sort of situation in order to gather evidence against higher level actors, among whom may be the person who the server was set up for, i.e. hillary clinton--and this is good news for her?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JeffersonClay posted:

They need him to testify in order to finish the investigation. They can't finish the investigation while he's pleading the fifth. Once they offer him immunity, he can no longer plead the fifth, they can get his testimony, and the investigation can end.

Maybe the staffer was pleading the fifth because he thought he would get hosed with by partisans as a way to discredit Hillary, and now, having immunity, will happily testify about setting up the server.

yeah, maybe, or maybe he didnt want to incriminate himself and decided to testify against other more important players in order to not get prosecuted. you're ruling out any criminal activity being conducted at the outset and it makes zero sense.

and how is only talking when he's being offered immunity from prosecution giving partisans *less* ammunition?

quote:

Call the whole thing a partisan witch hunt and support his constitutional rights. Avoid the issue.

antagonising the FBI like that would be a very bad idea. anyway, didn't she try calling it a witchhunt then change her tune?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Maybe, and I know this is going to sound pretty out there, people who work for the clintons are paranoid about republicans loving with them to score points on Hillary.

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva
"What started out as a simple email server, is now turning into a serving of" *Record Scratch* "subpoenas"
*Louie Louie starts playing*
"From the agency that's brought you the case against the Unibomber, Waco, and the Lindbergh Baby Kidnapping comes... Hillary Clinton: A File too Far"

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JeffersonClay posted:

Maybe, and I know this is going to sound pretty out there, people who work for the clintons are paranoid about republicans loving with them to score points on Hillary.

if there was nothing doing then why not testify what he knew, have the fbi come up with nothing incriminating, and have it end there? that would have given the republicans diddly squat.

are you saying that his plan was to only talk once the fbi offered him immunity from prosecution--which suggests that he was concerned about being prosecuted--in order to give the republicans less ammunition than if he simply spoke up of his own free will in the first place and offered them the innocent truth?

the gently caress?

the only thing that explains the immunity agreement being a condition of him talking and the fbi even offering it in the first place is that he seriously suspected that he would be prosecuted for wrongdoing, and that the fbi think that they can get to someone more important through him.

Orkin Mang has issued a correction as of 09:16 on Mar 3, 2016

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
it obviously gives them more ammo against Hillary from a PR standpoint, but precludes their ability to gently caress with her through him. It benefits him, and not Hillary, even if he's only worried about republican bullshit.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JeffersonClay posted:

it obviously gives them more ammo against Hillary from a PR standpoint, but precludes their ability to gently caress with her through him.

only assuming that he has nothing to say that would implicate clinton in wrongdoing, which neither of us know. but given that these deals are generally only given to people in order to get at higher level actors, and that hillary clinton is a candidate higher level actor if there ever was one, theres at least a reasonable fear that he might say something that would implicate her.

quote:

It benefits him, and not Hillary, even if he's only worried about republican bullshit.

so now it's not good for hillary? i thought you agreed with her when you said she was happy about it.

i mean, maybe this guy only engaged in some low level skullduggery and was trying to hide some questionable stuff that clinton had done that might hurt her campaign but that wasn't technically illegal--i dont know. but the fbi offerring this immunity deal as a condition of him testifying and him accepting is not good new for clinton by any sane metric. it looks bad.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
It's good for Hillary that he's finally testifying, as that will mean the investigation can conclude. It would have been better for Hillary if he had not invoked the fifth at all, which is why she tried to persuade him to do that.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JeffersonClay posted:

It's good for Hillary that he's finally testifying, as that will mean the investigation can conclude. It would have been better for Hillary if he had not invoked the fifth at all, which is why she tried to persuade him to do that.

dude, you have no idea that the 'conclusion' of this will be good for clinton. at the moment it looks bad. this guy invoked his fifth amendment right against self-incrimination, and then agreed to talk to the fbi only on the condition that he not be prosecuted--and yet you still think that nothing potentially criminal went down? because if this guy was involved in criminal acts, then that gives a boost to the inference that clinton might have been too. this is given an even further boost due to the fact that these kinds of immunity deals are usually used by the fbi only when they suspect that the person has inculpatory information against some higher-level actor, of which clinton is an obvious candidate.

in the face of all this, i'd just say that clinton's rhetoric about trying to persuade him to testify was just hot air that she never expected him to listen to, and that was only said to make her look confident in her innocence. that is, she's just playing politician.

Orkin Mang has issued a correction as of 09:46 on Mar 3, 2016

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
If I were representing a client in front of a Republican Congress investigating Hillary Clinton and my client did not plead the Fifth I would insta step aside myself because my client is a moron.

This is what happens when you're a complete idiot and voluntarily talk to people with bigger fish to fry than you: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/15/business/an-underling-among-the-officials-accused-of-fraud-at-dewey.html

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The other big reason for taking a immunity is guessing the investigating party would be able to find evidence of your wrongdoing either due to other people cracking or finding other evidence related to the case.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

JeffersonClay posted:

You keep saying this, we have no way of knowing whether this is actually true or not from an objective source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

JeffersonClay posted:

Saying you want someone to cooperate is basically the same thing as saying, 'i have nothing to hide', it's a meaningless gesture to instill confidence in the public.

What's she going to do, tell him not to cooperate? That certainly wouldn't imply guilt at all.

• Locked thread