Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Why would Hillary put classified emails on a private server and why is that important?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

convenience

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
dumb

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My number 1 guess is that the government app for accessing the official servers is too buggy or slow to use on a regular basis. At least Yahoo and such are reliable.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Maoist Pussy posted:

Why would Hillary put classified emails on a private server and why is that important?

she didn't want to use separate mobile devices for her work and personal email so she just... didn't use her work email. this is pretty benign on its own except for how if Clinton's last name were Ahmed she'd be in gitmo right now, and what that means about beltway culture sheltering the privileged from the most minimal kind of discipline.

her political opponents, upon finding this out and not wanting to let an opportunity to read 100% of hillary clinton's email in the last decade fall by the wayside, comma,

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Maoist Pussy posted:

Say Hilary Clinton is involved in the assassination of a Something Awful moderator and people request she hand over her correspondence to a regulatory agency for investigation. If her emails about the event were on a private server, instead of on the government's servers, she could delete all the emails and claim they never existed.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

madeupfred posted:

Say Hilary Clinton is involved in the assassination of a Something Awful moderator and people request she hand over her correspondence to a regulatory agency for investigation. If her emails about the event were on a private server, instead of on the government's servers, she could delete all the emails and claim they never existed.

Also there are very strict government regulations, maybe even laws, about keeping audit trails of personal correspondence, no matter whether you intend to commit a crime or not.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Maoist Pussy posted:

Dubya got elected to two terms as a mouth breathing idiot and she's just following the trend

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Note also that Benghazi is a lot like the investigation of Bill Clinton's business practices -- the investigators got so frustrated that they couldn't prove prosecutable financial dirt that they switched to sex, and that became the scandal. Similarly with Hillary and Benghazi -- they haven't been able to prove that she did anything wrong, or that she had actionable knowledge in advance, so now the scandal is that she was using classified documents improperly.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
They were really strict about this at a public university I worked for because of the potential for FOIA requests, so I imagine its important for the Secretary of State as well.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

madeupfred posted:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Also there are very strict government regulations, maybe even laws, about keeping audit trails of personal correspondence, no matter whether you intend to commit a crime or not.

These are also very very good points, HOWEVER!

Where the email scandal thing starts getting reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllyyyy super duper Category V stupid is that the bloc which is advancing the scandal (conservative republicans) love sketchy poo poo like undeclared wars, material support for same, extrajudicial assassinations of inconvenient persons, tortures in places that do not officially exist, and despise in all forms even the most minimal bureaucratic regulations which constitute the most basic impediment to Doing CrimesTM with official government assets or as they call it, "freedom"

So these extraordinarily valid objections rarely get raised in the mainstream in lieu of Who Killed Ben Ghazi, Madam Secretary?????

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Hillary uses email to get help with programming her DVR and she didn't want that fact to be in the permanent record of her time as SoS. I'm sure Trump will be all over this at their first debate.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

madeupfred posted:

Which moderator? This is important.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Maoist Pussy posted:

It's not the crime, it's the coverup, chapter 528

She used her own email server to avoid FOIL requests and/or subpoenas of her emails. It's bad, yes, but a number of other administration officials, including people in W's administration did it as well. It was bad and wrong when they did it, it's bad and wrong when she did it.

Her excuse of only wanting to use 1 phone is pants on head retarded and anybody younger than my 80something parents understands this. There is no smartphone made post-2003 or so that can only have a single email account on it. RIM built specific security policies around supporting this, and had worked closely with the Federal Government and Carriers over time to make sure the system worked.

Hillary's initial refusal to even admit that she was doing this, followed by the super condescending phase where she pretended not to know what 'wiping' a server was (what, you mean with a cloth? hyuck hyuck hyuck!) then grudging acknowledgement of the scandal was, well, Clintonesque. People who want to believe the best about her don't see this as a big deal, sort of like how her husband taking advantage of a young woman in his employ wasn't a big deal either. The rest of us though see this for what it is. I am going to boldly predict that Donald Trump will have a hot take on this in the debates.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

smg77 posted:

Hillary uses email to get help with programming her DVR and she didn't want that fact to be in the permanent record of her time as SoS. I'm sure Trump will be all over this at their first debate.

This is funny, but I think it's actually hitting the mark more than most people think.

At this point I highly doubt there is any ground shattering, highly illegal poo poo in the emails that people obsessed with them think that there is. The FBI would have torn her apart by now if so. What I do think there is a lot of? poo poo like this that any older person would have in their emails. Is it a big deal? No, of course not, but imagine thousands of emails worth of material to hit a presidential nominee with. From Donald loving Trump especially.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Vagon posted:

This is funny, but I think it's actually hitting the mark more than most people think.

At this point I highly doubt there is any ground shattering, highly illegal poo poo in the emails that people obsessed with them think that there is. The FBI would have torn her apart by now if so. What I do think there is a lot of? poo poo like this that any older person would have in their emails. Is it a big deal? No, of course not, but imagine thousands of emails worth of material to hit a presidential nominee with. From Donald loving Trump especially.

22 Top Secret emails included in the ones released so far. Sure, nothing ground shattering there. I mean why bother having classified information at all? I assume you're not among the landed gentry, so let me ask, what do you think would happen to you if you released 22 emails worth of Top Secret information? Also, assume you don't have the administration covering for you.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

zen death robot posted:

she doesn't actually understand how computers work because she's a 67 year old politician and not an IT nerd like most of SA (including me)

I don't think you have to be a MCSE to understand what Top Secret means. I'd, in fact, wager that it's pretty much a requirement to GET Top Secret clearance, that you can demonstrate some fundamental comprehension skills. Maybe you're arguing that Hillary Clinton is too stupid/careless to be able to handle Top Secret information? Seems like a rather disqualifying trait for Commander in Chief.

edit: Hillary also is an Attorney, former law professor, Senator, and SoS. She can't really be this stupid, can she? Or perhaps there's something else at play here?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gobbagool posted:

I don't think you have to be a MCSE to understand what Top Secret means. I'd, in fact, wager that it's pretty much a requirement to GET Top Secret clearance, that you can demonstrate some fundamental comprehension skills. Maybe you're arguing that Hillary Clinton is too stupid/careless to be able to handle Top Secret information? Seems like a rather disqualifying trait for Commander in Chief.

edit: Hillary also is an Attorney, former law professor, Senator, and SoS. She can't really be this stupid, can she? Or perhaps there's something else at play here?

Hillary signed a NDA in which she promised to safeguard and handle classified information.

She didn't follow this agreement by using her poorly secured email server and sending files over the air to the server.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
People sure are angry about someone taking a personal stand to fight government inefficiency.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

etalian posted:

Hillary signed a NDA in which she promised to safeguard and handle classified information.

She didn't follow this agreement by using her poorly secured email server and sending files over the air to the server.

NDA, good point. In most lines of work, violating an NDA is a good way to blackball yourself from a company and even an industry. You would think as an attorney, even if she's just a humble #abuela without the slightest idea of how those beep boop beep computatrons work that she would at least understand what a NDA is. Nothing will come of this of course, because the chance of Loretta Lynch allowing this to go any further is just about zero, but that's purely for political reasons, and if the rule of law held any sway whatsoever, she would be charged like any other person who exposed this much top secret information.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I think for anyone who has reasons to dislike or distrust Clinton it is just a particularly stark example of how she plays by a different set of rules than ordinary people.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i hear its just a bunch of grubhub receipts and booty calls, op

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

gobbagool posted:

Hillary's initial refusal to even admit that she was doing this, followed by the super condescending phase where she pretended not to know what 'wiping' a server was (what, you mean with a cloth? hyuck hyuck hyuck!) then grudging acknowledgement of the scandal was, well, Clintonesque. People who want to believe the best about her don't see this as a big deal, sort of like how her husband taking advantage of a young woman in his employ wasn't a big deal either. The rest of us though see this for what it is. I am going to boldly predict that Donald Trump will have a hot take on this in the debates.

I don't think banging hot babes should be a crime just because you are the governor. Every girl in the whole state will have less power than you, so its like saying governors have to be celibate.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Maoist Pussy posted:

I don't think banging hot babes should be a crime just because you are the governor. Every girl in the whole state will have less power than you, so its like saying governors have to be celibate.

It'd be a lot less trouble if they just did their job instead of going off to "hike the Appalachian trail" or whatever.

Less entertaining though.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Something can be scandalous without being illegal.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
IF I was president we wouldn't need tech support cause I know how to work a computer.

That IT guy would be hella bored. I'd probably try and make him make me ap opular twitch tv streamer and moderate it.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

zen death robot posted:

I'm just gonna put it out there like this - whoever runs that poo poo could have stopped the emails from being forwarded, it isn't that loving hard. Stop using lovely outdated software and making your infra look like a joke.

There's a lot of uninformed idiots who don't understand how Federal email security standards work, but suffice it to say, if the SoS tells you to poke a hole in the policy to allow Hillary to get her email forwarded to her ultra secure server that definitely wasn't compromised by every hostile nation state and bored 4chan teen out there, then it's going to get done. I'm sure if anyone at SoS IT was dumb enough to raise a red flag about this they became an immediate unperson.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

gobbagool posted:

There's a lot of uninformed idiots who don't understand how Federal email security standards work, but suffice it to say, if the SoS tells you to poke a hole in the policy to allow Hillary to get her email forwarded to her ultra secure server that definitely wasn't compromised by every hostile nation state and bored 4chan teen out there, then it's going to get done. I'm sure if anyone at SoS IT was dumb enough to raise a red flag about this they became an immediate unperson.

Would 4chan have helped her record Homeland episodes?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

smg77 posted:

Would 4chan have helped her record Homeland episodes?

Yes, and probably find her a Russian groom/side piece as well, now that bill appears frail and no longer boner capable

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Willie Tomg posted:

she didn't want to use separate mobile devices for her work and personal email so she just... didn't use her work email

just lol if you actually believe this.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Remember that time Sarah Palin conducted official business on a Yahoo account with a password reset function that could be exploited using information on Wikipedia? Lol

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
She did something pretty dumb, OP.

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
Hillary Clinton is disgusting.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
It would be cool if Yalie careerists like her went to prison more often?

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
She wants to be President so she can get away with even worse stuff than she already has.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Maoist Pussy posted:

It would be cool if Yalie careerists like her went to prison more often?

I think we can all agree on this. If forums user Maoist Pussy goes to jail for it, so should former walmart board member and doddering #abeula Hillary.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
tldr: She used a private email server to act as a Freedom of Information Act shelter because she coordinated sketchy and illegal weapons deals with foreign powers in exchange for donations to the Clinton slush fund, the Clinton Foundation and never wanted these emails to be possibly made public.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Meta Ridley posted:

tldr: She used a private email server to act as a Freedom of Information Act shelter because she coordinated sketchy and illegal weapons deals with foreign powers in exchange for donations to the Clinton slush fund, the Clinton Foundation and never wanted these emails to be possibly made public.

Source?

I mean, sure there were weapons deals out of Benghazi to Syria, but did the Foundation really get monies for it?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Count Roland posted:

Source?

I mean, sure there were weapons deals out of Benghazi to Syria, but did the Foundation really get monies for it?

Absolutely not. The Clinton Foundation is a great international charity and that it's getting smeared is loving ridiculous. It also is a highly public institution and not a 'slush fund'. They do scary stuff like work on AIDS and women's rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Obdicut posted:

Absolutely not. The Clinton Foundation is a great international charity and that it's getting smeared is loving ridiculous. It also is a highly public institution and not a 'slush fund'. They do scary stuff like work on AIDS and women's rights.

Doesn't the Foundation get large sums of money from very powerful sources that work closely with the Clintons and with the US government? eg foreign governments, wall st bigwigs, major corporations etc. Not that this in itself is bad, but it does raise questions of conflict of interest. It does seem unlikely that the Clintons would want or especially need to withdraw money for personal use.

• Locked thread