Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Silver Falcon posted:

The music in this level is my favorite in the game. I love it. Is it a remix of anything, or an original composition?

The ominous chanting in the background kinda almost sounds similar to the chanting in OoTs Temple of Time? That's a bit of a stretch though and I can't think of any song that this one would resemble. Most songs in this game are original anyway, so I'm just gonna go with that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The game updated today and Medli is available on both versions for free. I don't think she's all that great just yet, but I suppose I have to spend a bit more time getting used to her moves.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

Nidoking posted:

The game updated today and Medli is available on both versions for free. I don't think she's all that great just yet, but I suppose I have to spend a bit more time getting used to her moves.

Medli is an interesting warrior. She has a lot of AOE attacks, but her gimmick is unique. She has a bar you fill that allows her to fight in the air, but doing so is a little tricky. Once you get it down though, she just lays waste to the battle field. I enjoy her, though only complaint is she is a harp wielder and there is a third one planed so...yeah. Just a minor complaint that the weapon is getting used multiple time. Yes, it's her own type so she doesn't actually share with Sheik, but that doesn't change the fact she is using a harp-type weapon.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
That's not how a princess opens a chest Zelda. :stare:

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

That's not how a princess opens a chest Zelda. :stare:

Maybe there were no servants nearby to open it for her? :v:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I for one am really looking forward to the new zelda games you mentioned, hyrule lawyers and toilet princess.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 12: Friendship is Stupid

Don't trust your friends. Also don't trust your recording software to not desync the recording.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

You're a little inaccurate about the Legendary skill. It does raise any weapon's base damage to 300, but that's before applying the stars. The base damage for a rank 3 weapon is 280, so you get an additional 20 attack plus two more per star, for a maximum of 450 at five stars. That's not much more than 420, but like you said, a few dozen points can make a difference, and it is always an upgrade.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
:torgue:: INNUENDO!

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Do the Creep. (hah) Do the Creep (hah) ~

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Nidoking posted:

You're a little inaccurate about the Legendary skill. It does raise any weapon's base damage to 300, but that's before applying the stars. The base damage for a rank 3 weapon is 280, so you get an additional 20 attack plus two more per star, for a maximum of 450 at five stars. That's not much more than 420, but like you said, a few dozen points can make a difference, and it is always an upgrade.

Ah, fair enough. I probably misread the site that I got the information from. Oh well, thanks for telling me.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 13: The End of the Road

The video is still processing, but for now, have the DEFINITELY FINAL video of the game! :toot:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

HANDSOMEDORF LIVES! again.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I love this part of the game. "Welp, Cia's dead, let's all go home and celebrate. SURELY we haven't forgotten about anything." "You can now play as Mulletdorf!"

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Here's how I've always seen Cia's design: She's the part of herself that wants to possess Link at any cost and by any means necessary, while Lana is the part that cares how Link feels and is willing to let him make his own choices. We've all grasped that much. So the purpose of CIa's existence is essentially to seduce Link regardless of what he wants, and in the effort to do that, she's magically cranked her sex appeal to 11. If Link isn't interested, it goes to show just how clueless she really is about him.

I don't like fighting Cia much because she's got a few attacks that come out really quickly and cover a lot of area, and even for the attacks with a long wind-up, she can power herself up and be immune to knockback. If you're not using an overpowered weapon, she can take a long time to wear down, and you'll lose a lot of health along the way. Knowing you can kill the Dark Links helps with that one attack, but the rest are a pain, especially the triple shot and that circular wave of darkness.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Nidoking posted:

I don't like fighting Cia much because she's got a few attacks that come out really quickly and cover a lot of area, and even for the attacks with a long wind-up, she can power herself up and be immune to knockback. If you're not using an overpowered weapon, she can take a long time to wear down, and you'll lose a lot of health along the way. Knowing you can kill the Dark Links helps with that one attack, but the rest are a pain, especially the triple shot and that circular wave of darkness.

I always find her knockback immunity works more to her detriment than favour, because it also means she stops blocking entirely. Regardless, she only seems to use it below half health, as far as I've noticed. She has a nasty habit of nailing you in the back with the triple shot if you get momentarily distracted, but otherwise, if you stay on her, her attacks' windup usually proves to be her undoing.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Adventure Mode 1: Adventuring 101

Alright, time to finally dig into the real Hyrule Warriors experience! I will try to upload the Adventure Mode videos during the weekdays, especially now when I have more time to record stuff :toot:

I will try to show off most missions, but I'm focusing most on the ones that unlock weapons/characters. If there are any missions outside of that you really want to see me try to get an A-rank in, just post it in the thread. Hopefully I will be able to show off the other maps in the future as well, but we'll see I guess.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Obviously neither of you watch the TV show Once Upon A Time*, which establishes in like the very first scene that the more evil you are, the more provocative (or dapper, in the case of men) you're allowed to dress. So much exposed, evil cleavage in that show.

*As someone who's seen 90% of OUAT, don't watch OUAT, or at least don't go into it expecting good television.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Carlioo posted:

I will try to show off most missions, but I'm focusing most on the ones that unlock weapons/characters. If there are any missions outside of that you really want to see me try to get an A-rank in, just post it in the thread. Hopefully I will be able to show off the other maps in the future as well, but we'll see I guess.

My requests are all of the cucoo festival missions, and that unholy Ganon-plus-two-other-giant-bosses Giant Boss stage. And also all the reward maps, ESPECIALLY Boss Rush.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
The damage requirements for an A are relaxed in different parts of the Adventure map, with blue areas letting you take up to 6000 points (15 hearts) and red areas letting you take up to 10000 (25 hearts) points of damage.

As for the elemental barriers in keeps, you won't take any damage from those if you have Focus Spirit active, which is necessary for some of them since they don't have a corresponding fairy to dispel them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

AnotherGamer posted:

The damage requirements for an A are relaxed in different parts of the Adventure map, with blue areas letting you take up to 6000 points (15 hearts) and red areas letting you take up to 10000 (25 hearts) points of damage.

Is there any way to see what the A-rank requirements are mid-mission? Especially on the 3DS version, the map colors are completely gone once the mission unlocks.

AnotherGamer posted:

As for the elemental barriers in keeps, you won't take any damage from those if you have Focus Spirit active, which is necessary for some of them since they don't have a corresponding fairy to dispel them.

That or you have two keeps and only one fairy. Those are the worst.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007

jivjov posted:

Is there any way to see what the A-rank requirements are mid-mission? Especially on the 3DS version, the map colors are completely gone once the mission unlocks.

Nope, but those requirements hold true for basically all missions where the mission goal doesn't conflict with them and you can see the time spent, damage received and total kills from the pause screen and UI respectively.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AnotherGamer posted:

Nope, but those requirements hold true for basically all missions where the mission goal doesn't conflict with them and you can see the time spent, damage received and total kills from the pause screen and UI respectively.

Yeah, I know you can see your current damage taken; but I have no idea how much damage I'm allowed to take.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

jivjov posted:

Yeah, I know you can see your current damage taken; but I have no idea how much damage I'm allowed to take.

Assume 4000 unless you know you're in a rather difficult Blue (6000) or Red (10000) map.

Also 1200 kills and I think 12 minutes? 12 or 15.

Basically, assume the worst and you'll always get it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Senerio posted:

Assume 4000 unless you know you're in a rather difficult Blue (6000) or Red (10000) map.

Also 1200 kills and I think 12 minutes? 12 or 15.

Basically, assume the worst and you'll always get it.

I don't think 1200/15:00 changes on anything that's not a "quiz" or "defeat all giant bosses" map

The issue is on 3DS, the blue/red designators vanish after you unlock the map, so there's no way to know after that point what the damage threshold is.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

jivjov posted:

I don't think 1200/15:00 changes on anything that's not a "quiz" or "defeat all giant bosses" map

The issue is on 3DS, the blue/red designators vanish after you unlock the map, so there's no way to know after that point what the damage threshold is.

Assume 4000 and you're good. Or get the interactive map off of reddit, which has the info.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 14: How to Start a War

In which we really don't talk about the mission too much at all (because not much was happening).

Found out something was wrong with the video, will try to fix it, video private for now. Problem seems to be fixed, it's just processing right now!

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 6, 2016

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Cia's story wasn't included free with the patch that made her, Volga and Wizzro playable: those 3 were the only free part of the patch, and the rest of it (the extra story missions and the Master Quest Adventure map which contained all their weapon upgrades and heart containers) was DLC.

The rupee glitch has never been patched out, it still works the exact same way it has from the very beginning. Then again, that only applies to the Wii U version, it never existed in the Legends version to begin with.

AnotherGamer fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 6, 2016

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

AnotherGamer posted:

The rupee glitch has never been patched out, it still works the exact same way it has from the very beginning. Then again, that only applies to the Wii U version, it never existed in the Legends version to begin with.

Perfect! :homebrew:

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
The extra bombchu is meant to be the one that the Gorons left in there that you end up using in Mission 2 of Legend Mode. it never activates in Cia's story.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Oh snap, Hyrule Warriors! Me and a buddy of mine have been playing it together for...probably a year now? A Rank'd and Hero mode'd all content all the way up to the Termina map (the final one, I hope), which is where we're at now. We've got "ultimate" weapons for a few of our mains (rank 3, 5 star, 8 slots with the proper 4000, 3000, and Legendary ability), and some work-in-progress ultimates (rank 3, 5 star, 8 slots, with yet unlocked 3000/4000 abilities on other weapons) on just about everyone.

I haven't gotten a chance to catch up with the videos yet, but honest advice for any hard map is just play 2 player and have your second person be Link with Master Sword (once upgraded). Not only does Link tend to be overleveled from high use in campaigns, Master sword has the highest default damage and it's upgraded form gives it extra light beams off of its attacks. The C3 combo in particular (weak, weak, strong) will literally mow down hordes of small baddies, and is also great to spam against any captain or commander you don't want to take damage from, since the beam can be shot well out of reach of most combos.

Since I've been lucky enough to play the whole game 2 player, I'm honestly kind of confused how you're supposed to beat some of the later map packs solo. Some levels have tough enemies that really will kill your allied base and/or mission critical commander, and it's too much of a juggle to try to make progress and play defense. It's especially true since many of the later maps lock you into a character, so good luck managing all of that while also trying to figure out your combos as a level 10 Wizzro.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I think it's about equal parts leveling up and developing an effective strategy. I haven't made it quite as far as you have yet, but I've done almost none of it with two players. Generally, it's a matter of figuring out exactly how long you can leave certain situations alone and either dealing with them when it's convenient or completing the main objective before your base or commander falls. And a fair bit of luck - I played some levels quite a few times until everything fell into place, like the locations where enemies would appear.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Adventure Mode Part 2: Adventuring for Dummies

Now, the true adventure mode begins....

Kakal
Mar 3, 2008
Oh man, a Hyrule Warriors LP! I've played Dynasty Warriors, up to 5 or 6, and I gotta say that Koei Techmo put more intricacies than I thought they would into this game. After having it for over a year I'm still finding out new things certain weapons can do. Like, just a little while ago I found out what Ghirahim's strong attack really did or what the Wind status does with one of Zelda's weapons.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The main reason they use hearts instead of a damage amount for the Gold Skulltulas is that when the game first came out, there was no damage counter - that was patched in later. The hearts were the only indication you had of how much damage you'd taken until you completed the level. But four hearts is always 1600 damage, so you can tell whether you're still on track without having to kill the 1200 enemies.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Nidoking posted:

The main reason they use hearts instead of a damage amount for the Gold Skulltulas is that when the game first came out, there was no damage counter - that was patched in later. The hearts were the only indication you had of how much damage you'd taken until you completed the level. But four hearts is always 1600 damage, so you can tell whether you're still on track without having to kill the 1200 enemies.

Not on missions where there is a recommended element and you have a defense badge corresponding with that element! At least, I'm pretty sure defense badges affect damage taken, but not hearts, since I've ended up with an uneven number of damage multiple times.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Carlioo posted:

Not on missions where there is a recommended element and you have a defense badge corresponding with that element! At least, I'm pretty sure defense badges affect damage taken, but not hearts, since I've ended up with an uneven number of damage multiple times.

Elemental keeps' damage is constant even though visually it ticks off a quarter heart every second. So if you dip a toe in there, your damage count will be unusual. It's still 1600 damage = 4 hearts and such, just that if you've taken 436 damage it'll only show one heart gone and not roll over to 1.25 hearts until you pass 500. Assuming you don't pick up more hearts, of course.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Carlioo posted:

It would be pretty meaningless if the badges didn't reduce the number of hearts you lost, since that's what ultimately determines when you die. If you end with a damage counter that's not a multiple of 100, it's because you entered an elemental keep - your health ticks down by ones and you lose a quarter heart whenever they add up to 100.

I tested this just now, using Midna in a level with Shadow recommended (gold badge) and another level with Fire recommended (bronze badge). In both levels, she took 100 damage for every quarter heart I lost.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Nidoking posted:

This makes Heart Containers and Pieces of Heart all but pointless, too. Since you're going to restart in Adventure Mode if you ever take more than ten hearts, any more hearts over ten is a waste.

It would be better if the damage requirement was lose less than 25% of your total HP, since then you could come back to more difficult stages with more hearts, but oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

You might want to sit down for this, but...

Some people don't obsess over A ranks and just want to complete difficult missions.

• Locked thread