Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
:siren:LATEST UPDATE: ADVENTURE MODE 30: THIS ENDS THE STORY:siren:

Hyrule Warriors is a hack n' slash Zelda spinoff developed by Omega Force and Team Ninja released in October 2014 on the Wii U (making it the only Zelda game on the WIi U that isn't a remake/re-release and therefore the best original Zelda game on the Wii U). It plays like the Dynasty Warriors-series but, well, with Zelda mixed in: Giant fields with thousands of enemies to kill knock out and keeps to take over and control, as well as items to use against objects and giant bosses to fight against. Also, much like the Warriors-series, there is a lot of playable characters from the Zelda-franchise, but also some original characters thrown in to mix things up.

So how will this be played through?
I'll be playing through on a new game file and collecting everything we come across! I will show off how to get all heart pieces/containers and the Golden Skultullas in Legends (Story) Mode, as well as showing off all the playable characters, the different weapons and at least all the different game types in Adventure Mode. I will also be dragging my friend TheBadGamer through this, as he's a both a big Zelda fan and a Dynasty Warriors fan! We'll be talking about character origins and the Zelda games in the videos.

What about that Hyrule Warriors Legends game that I've hear about?
Hyrule Warriors Legends is the 3DS port that basically have everything the original game had, plus some new characters from Wind Waker as well as a new story mode. Sadly, I don't have a good way to record footage of a 3DS at the moment, however, characters can be "transferred" to the original Wii U version, so I will at least be able to show them off if nothing else when the game is released.

Where is this in the Zelda timeline?!
It apparently exists in it's own separate dimension and Anouma was thinking of it as The Avengers.

With that said, let's play Hyrule Warriors!

Part 1: The Armies of Ruin
Part 2: The Sheikah Tribesman
Part 3: The Sorceress of the Woods
Part 4: Eclipse of the Sun
Part 5: Link's Amazing Flying Horses
Part 6: Dancing Swords
Part 7: The Spear to Pierce Twilight
Part 8: Moon Droppers
Part 9: Rock On, Goron
Part 10: Water Temple 2 - Electric Boogaloo
Part 11: Temple Joyride
Part 12: Friendship is Stupid
Part 13: The End of the Road
Part 14: How to Start a War
Part 15: Scary Wizards and Strong Warriors
Part 16: Cia's Final Gambit
Part 17: Return of the King
Part 18: Exercise in Power
Part 19: Desert Survival
Part 20: From Warriors to Legends
Bonus 1: And Your Reward is Clothes
Bonus 2: Ganon's No Good, Very Bad Day
Bonus 3: Weapons and Costumes Showcase 1
Bonus 4: Weapons and Costumes Showcase 2

Part 1: Adventuring 101
Part 2: Adventuring for Dummies
Part 3: Warriors with Burning Hearts
Part 4: Trip Through Twilight Woods
Part 5: Great Balls of Lighting
Part 6: They Call Her the Seeker
Part 7: Throwback Warriors
Part 8: Boots Made for Kicking
Part 9: Twilight Sorcery
Part 10: Ride the Wave
Part 11: Good Old Blue Magic
Part 12: Difficulty Curve
Part 13: Lord of the Butterflies
Part 14: Hardcore Posing
Part 15: Let's Go to a Cucco Festival!
Part 16: Ignore the Cucco
Part 17: We're All Idols Now
Part 18: Great Failure
Part 19: Cucco Whisperer
Part 20: Souls of True Evil
Part 21: Baddest Man Alive
Part 22: The Cowardly Army
Part 23: End of an Adventure
Part 24: Dream On
Part 25: Master of None
Part 26: Back to the Twilight
Part 27: Crazy Train
Part 28: Terrible Fate
Part 29: Final Hours
Part 30: This Ends The Story

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Oh good lord. Are you going to show the Adventure Mode maps that unlock everyone's higher tier weapons? Because some of those were nightmares and suffering is always fun to watch.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Oh good lord. Are you going to show the Adventure Mode maps that unlock everyone's higher tier weapons? Because some of those were nightmares and suffering is always fun to watch.

That's the plan! :shepicide:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So what's the update schedule on this gonna be like?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Look at this OP, acting like the Zelda franchise ever had a coherent timeline. :smuggo:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Carlioo posted:

...That's an ordeal I'm not even sure I'll be able to relive by watching without cringeing myself into a pretzel knot.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

So what's the update schedule on this gonna be like?

As soon as I can crank them out. I'll try to at least have one update per week, but we'll see if I can hold true to that or not.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

...That's an ordeal I'm not even sure I'll be able to relive by watching without cringeing myself into a pretzel knot.

If it gets too bad, I'll probably edit some of it. Worst case scenario, I always have my second file! :v:

Also as a heads up: I realized we talked about Sheik a bit, but we wont show her off just yet. She'll get her spot later though, where we should have more combo attacks for her to show her off better.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
This game took modernized beat 'em ups, mixed it with weird heavy metal, and threw in the Zelda cast to make for one kickass installment. I love this game to death, but there are certain endgame deals i just didn't have the patience for...

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm vague amused at the idea of Hyrule's army actually doing something constructive in the effort to fight evil in this installment.

I thought they primarily hung around the castle, smoking deku weed and playing cards.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Klaus88 posted:

I'm vague amused at the idea of Hyrule's army actually doing something constructive in the effort to fight evil in this installment.

I thought they primarily hung around the castle, smoking deku weed and playing cards.

That's not true, they also keep an eye out for Heroes of Time and toss them in the dungeon/out of the palace grounds.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Carlioo posted:

It plays like the Dynasty Warriors-series

Jesus, you weren't kidding. Right down to the minimap and everything.

Traverse
Oct 13, 2012

Carlioo posted:

Best of luck, and thank you for doing this so I never have to. One time through Samurai Warriors was enough for me.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Seyser Koze posted:

That's not true, they also keep an eye out for Heroes of Time and toss them in the dungeon/out of the palace grounds.

Watching the videos, they actually don't really do anything here either, aside from "follow hero around like a lost dog" and "huddle behind hero in an intimating looking mass when bad guys show up".

I'm hoping we see some more variety in the hyrule warriors besides guy with sword and buckler, and slightly larger guy with sword and shield.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Klaus88 posted:

Watching the videos, they actually don't really do anything here either, aside from "follow hero around like a lost dog" and "huddle behind hero in an intimating looking mass when bad guys show up".

Yeah, mooks in Warriors games are always useless, with the possible exception of archers. In DW8, at least, they would literally stand around and do nothing 99% of the time. And I'm like... yeah, i don't expect you to put up a threat or anything, but you could at least pretend to hit each other? It's not like you're spending all your CPU on ultrarealistic graphics...

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Klaus88 posted:

I'm hoping we see some more variety in the hyrule warriors besides guy with sword and buckler, and slightly larger guy with sword and shield.

Hey, at least some of them have maces or spears. But, really, they'll almost always be useless. When they have high morale they are more aggressive and can be expected to hold a point. The high morale captain in the second video managed to beat an enemy captain off-camera and mounted a counter-invasion against the nearby keeps. It's not as spectacularly uneven as say, Dynasty Warriors 3, where one enemy generic unit with 5 morale can take on hundreds at 0 morale.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

I'm sincerely digging the enemy models, some looking like they've been taken straight out of the n64 cartridges.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Carlioo posted:

If it gets too bad, I'll probably edit some of it. Worst case scenario, I always have my second file! :v:

There's always Item Potion fuckery. Got me through a good number of stages.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh nice this is finally up and running! I've been looking forward to this since you made a test post in the Sandcastle.

Since I found it by just getting lucky and seeing it on the front page while browsing, you may wanna announce it in the New LP Thread too.

FredMSloniker posted:

Yeah, mooks in Warriors games are always useless, with the possible exception of archers. In DW8, at least, they would literally stand around and do nothing 99% of the time. And I'm like... yeah, i don't expect you to put up a threat or anything, but you could at least pretend to hit each other? It's not like you're spending all your CPU on ultrarealistic graphics...

I think if they tried giving all those characters AI it'd make game consoles implode.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

RareAcumen posted:

I think if they tried giving all those characters AI it'd make game consoles implode.

It doesn't have to be good AI. Just make them randomly swing weapons at each other or something. It's actually sort of creepy to stand still for a moment and watch two supposedly mighty armies just... staring at each other.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Klaus88 posted:

There's a fair bit of variety later on - it's just basics for now. But of the characters we've seen, among others, Wizzro is playable (if you have your console online to download the free updates). All of his attacks are ranged, so you definitely have a much different playstyle from the close-range characters.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I love this costume for Link because he actually puts the tunic over his chainmail. It looks pretty good.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Yeah if we're talking mook effectiveness, on camera they're extremely incompetent without any morale buff, but can easily pose a threat with it.

Off camera with a morale buff, they cut through keep HP like a hot knife through butter.

I've been playing this game now for over a year and I'm not yet finished with adventure mode - only got three weapons to go :smithicide:

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
So this one's dead too?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If it's not, I hope they get more comfortable with talking about the game. They seemed pretty overwhelmed by how much was going on.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Is there a thread in games for this or is it just in the main Zelda thread? With Legends out soon I sort of want to be able to gripe to people about it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

WilliamAnderson posted:

Is there a thread in games for this or is it just in the main Zelda thread? With Legends out soon I sort of want to be able to gripe to people about it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3668508&perpage=40&pagenumber=184#pti15

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Well, LP isn't dead, but I naturally start a LP the week before I have a pretty tough work week. Update is coming either later today or tomorrow.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

In which we meet the Obligatory Crossover Original Character™

Also again, sorry for the late-ish update, but on the only days where I could have edited, I was dead tired instead. Oh well! LP keeps on rolling.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lana could have been replaced with Saria or some other established character, but really she gets a pass just for her last weapon's victory cutscene.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

I love all the hyrule soldiers hunched over while the characters are talking, "come on already, you know we're not gonna do anything, so hurry up and go win this war single handed." :allears:

At least the red shirts in Star Trek usually did something useful by demonstrating a threat with their deaths.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Actually Dynasty Warriors had giant monster bosses! In Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce each faction had their own giant enemies (Wu had a tiger, Shu had a phoenix,etc...)

Also that game was crazy silly and anime. Even by DW standards. Your mosou bar doesn't give you a limit break but instead let the characters go super sayain, which gives the characters new shiny armor, higher stats, and better combos. It was more of a PSO-style gameplay than DW though.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Gibdos first appeared in the very first game, and returned in Link to the Past and Link's Awakening. It's only in the 3D games, starting with Ocarina of Time, that they've had the power to freeze Link. In this game, while you're frozen, you can break out immediately by using the Special Move or activating your Magic meter. I don't remember whether you can be frozen while your Magic is active, but I know Shiek's water shield blocks the effect completely.

Arrows have some fun applications. Try shooting captains when they're charging their big moves - Lizalfos when it's charging up the fire wall attack, or Big Poe when it's charging the big breath attack, for example. Some captains require other items to achieve the same effect, but the arrows work for most of the ones I know about.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
Question! Do you have any of the amiibo's to add to the game? Cause that's a weapon right there you're missing out on. A silly one, but it's fun nonetheless.

And with that, I am admitting what a nerd I am as I have played this game to death. So much so, all characters are at current max (255), all DLC, everyone has all their badges, and at least ONE Legendary weapon unlocked...

I still have some minor problems with a couple of the Adventure maps, but beyond that, I enjoy this game a lot.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Nidoking posted:

Gibdos and arrows.

...Oh yeah, the mummies. Knew I should've looked them up before recording. Oh well! Thanks for pointing it out.

Ben Kasack posted:

Question! Do you have any of the amiibo's to add to the game? Cause that's a weapon right there you're missing out on. A silly one, but it's fun nonetheless.

I bought that amiboo specifically for that weapon, so you can be sure that I will show it off at some point!

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 4: Eclipse of the Sun

In which everything goes horrible wrong I guess?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Hyrule total war is a lot more exciting close up, then when you're in the commander's seat.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The boomerang is also handy when a Darknut is charging up its four sword slash attack - you'll confuse it, and it'll spin around and attack its allies instead.

Now that Hyrule Warriors Legends is out, it actually has markers showing what item you can use when to confuse each type of captain. It's pretty handy.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Please handle pieces of the tire force with more care guys.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Wow you are showing me all this stuff I didn't even know Lana could do. How did I miss the slam dunk combo?J

Also all the bosses in HW are kinda poo poo, but we haven't even seen the objectively worst one yet. (Probably won't for a while.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

legoman727 posted:

Wow you are showing me all this stuff I didn't even know Lana could do. How did I miss the slam dunk combo?

I couldn't live without Lana's dunk combos, she's so bad at clearing rooms otherwise with the book. Really the book is her worst weapon.

• Locked thread