Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bloody posted:

computers belong on the floor

computers belong in the trash bin case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

qhat posted:

then attach it to the usb port you mong

youre an idiot

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
wish ur posts ended up on the floor

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Bloody posted:

computers belong on the floor

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

BANME.sh posted:

im using the same antec p180 case that i've had for probably 10 years at this point

the front door broke off and the front usb port assembly broke too, but i emailed antec and they shipped me a replacement

i'll probably keep it for another 10 years because there's literally nothing wrong with it.

pretty much same :hfive: i never bothered replacing the usb ports though. also the door is broken but pretty much stays shut since optical media lmao

its the first really nice case i bought (the rest were cheap clangy things) and sound deadening material is well worth the price on a computer

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
circa 2000 I had this thing:

SuperMicro SC750-A. Hepa filters in the front. I'm pretty sure I had bay coolers for my Cheetah 15k.3 or w/e. I miss lots of fans blowing air in arbitrary directions :rice:

e: I'm pretty sure I had to special order or borrow from work a floppy ribbon cable to reach up that far in the case.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Panty Saluter posted:

pretty much same :hfive: i never bothered replacing the usb ports though. also the door is broken but pretty much stays shut since optical media lmao

its the first really nice case i bought (the rest were cheap clangy things) and sound deadening material is well worth the price on a computer

i have the p182 and yeah, the sound padding is worth it and the thing is so understated and simple externally im just going to keep using it until things dont fit anymore

i had a lian li before and, while it was nice for cooling, all aluminum with a window is loud and silly looking

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

PleasureKevin posted:

i backed this on kickstarter but looks like it won't get funded.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dunecase/dune-case/description

i'm the front mounted power cable

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Virion posted:

WITNESS ME, THE FLOOR, THE CAT AS HE PASSES

in college i took a lovely steel case someone tossed and painted it red, yellow, and added a blue light inside the roughly cut flame window then filled it with crummy parts and used it as a cheap server. thing was garrish as gently caress and i loved it every minute until the mobo randomly didnt work after power cycling

right next to a plain aluminum lian li case with no garbage decorations

Hotdog Stand case, best case :3

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
this was the first case i bought:

lol some guy still has a whole internet webpage devoted to it

Stux posted:

had this piece of shitfor a while:

this was my next case. i loved working in it but god was it heavy to lug around.

Bloody posted:

currently living in this

horrendous pile of rear end. utterly miserable to do anything inside of, atrocious wire routing, just all-around pile of poo poo computer case

yeah this is what i have now. you're right, it's a huge pain in the rear end to do anything inside it, although once you're done it's nice and compact and lightweight at least.

Incomplete Fish posted:

my chieftec chenming was the best if they still sold these w/o windows i'd probably buy another one.

lol this was like the standard early-2000s case, I remember seeing so many of these

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Breetai posted:

i'm the front mounted power cable

holy poo poo you're stupid

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

holy poo poo you're stupid

that's a really rude thing to say to someone, online or offline.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

oval office AND PASTE posted:

please always buy fractal designs, thanks

Last case i'll ever buy.

Antec 300 is pretty decent for a "don't give a gently caress, run file server in the garage" case.

I had the antec knockoff of the massive cheiftec for a while, ran a ridiculous file server that over half the campus was using at one point until some dipshit piped up in a media arts class and the professor complained about copyright violations. Got told to knock it off with the public access on the internal 10.x, kept private access going because the network admin was on it.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i owned a gigantic coolermaster case that had room for something like 15 3.25" drives in it.

it weighed 35 pounds by itself.

it was also my first newegg purchase

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
thanks to this thread i remembered [h]ardocp existed, found this gem of a thread

how do you roll at a hotel

with such gems as

quote:

Me... I take my whole rig with me, sans my monitors. I can live with 720p hotel TVs while out for a week or two on work

quote:

I travel my desktop, and 31.5 inch Samsung 4k Monitor. Also have a set of the Bose Comapnion 20's The Chassis is a Silverstone TJ-08E, inside is:
i7 4970k
Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming X
16GB Ram
Gigabyte 980Ti (Factory OC to 1190 Mhz)
Samsung 840 Evo 500GB
LSI 9260 4i
4 4tb hardrives in Raid 5 on the LSI card (travel a spare to swap in just in case)

In the rare event that I have to fly to other continents, I swap out the 31.5 inch monitor and grab my 22" LED and that goes in one of my hardshell suitcases with a home-brew screen protector. The Tower goes in my carry-on. The rest of the year I just drive tour, and the 31.5" screen goes in the back seat. I used to also travel a projector until recently, but nowadays the hotels have so much poo poo on the walls or crappy wallpaper, that I only used it maybe 3 times for the whole year.

The only thing I still need to figure out is how to get all of my luggage and my monitor down to the car in 1 trip, but I think I might need different suitcases for that.

I've been doing this for 8 years, and people all the time tell me I'm crazy. But my computer (well at least the desktop) is my life. And the jokes about stealing the hotel TV are just as bad every week.

I actually travel 3 computers, the desktop, the company laptop, and my personal laptop which also can become a tablet.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
that's like the only scenario that more stupid than a 17" gaming laptop

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

thanks to this thread i remembered [h]ardocp existed, found this gem of a thread

with such gems as

Holy poo poo!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
are way over the top whack rear end case mods still a thing? stuff like this

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home/get-ready-for-mayan-worship-with-the-azttec-pc-case-mod/

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

unironically everyone should back this case

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dunecase/dune-case/description

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I'm more fascinated in finding out how they think they'll get around Apple's design patents

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

nope this is still dumb

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

thats a dumb case, the apple trash can was only novel because it was a highend workstation in 1/3 the size of its competition

that case is just a cylindrical case that larger than the competition (9.5L vs 7.25L)

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Perplx posted:

thats a dumb case, the apple trash can was only novel because it was a highend workstation in 1/3 the size of its competition

that case is just a cylindrical case that larger than the competition (9.5L vs 7.25L)

why the gently caress has no one ever shown me this case? drat, that is loving small. it's ugly but it's small. i might buy it.

I'm more fascinated in finding out how they think they'll get around Apple's design patents

they say they have example of "prior art" and they're all good.

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 14, 2016

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Satellit3 posted:

i transplanted one of our dell boxes into ths cheap piece of crap after the nonstandard mobo died and psu also seemed to be on its way out....

this pic is a metal case but mine lookedthe same, just plastic and $40

came to post this, got one on clearance in high school.

flimsy as gently caress

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

i don't know the names of the dumb cases I had but the Antec Sonata Piano Black was a pro choice and served me well for years

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

this was the first case i bought:

lol some guy still has a whole internet webpage devoted to it

this website is gold

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol this was like the standard early-2000s case, I remember seeing so many of these
there were at least 3 manufacturers selling them. antec, chenming, and maybe chenbro? it's what alienware used for a while, and they even sold matching keyboards and mice!! :eyepoop: and then for years there were countless variants, basically the same skeleton with different stupid plastic poo poo bolted on (like that checkerboard xaser shitpile i posted earlier)

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

unironically you're a loving idiot who should stop posting

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

SO DEMANDING posted:

unironically you're a loving idiot who should stop posting

this is the hill you're going to die on? You want this to be the thread that finally tears yospos apart?

that is a lovely case though

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

not unless it has an integrated gom jabbar

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Perplx posted:

That's basically an XPC Shuttle without a CD drive? Which having not looked at Shuttle's website in a long time appears to match the XPC Slim line, albeit actually bigger.

Actually I can't tell, Shuttle's site is terrible, does the XPC Slim even support a discrete GPU? Like two dozen models that all look the same but completely different model numbers.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 15, 2016

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

with such gems as

lomarf

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Only a literal idiot would not choose compactness and portability over well basically anything else

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

qhat posted:

Only a literal idiot would not choose compactness and portability over well basically anything else

my favorite is the dude who lugged a 21" crt around :psyduck:

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

qhat posted:

Only a literal idiot moves he computer case more than twice: when taking it home and when taking it to the trash.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

computer toucher posted:

Only a literal idiot moves he computer case more than twice: when taking it home and when taking it to the trash.

is that the only reason you have for not choosing portability

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

MrMoo posted:

That's basically an XPC Shuttle without a CD drive? Which having not looked at Shuttle's website in a long time appears to match the XPC Slim line, albeit actually bigger.

Actually I can't tell, Shuttle's site is terrible, does the XPC Slim even support a discrete GPU? Like two dozen models that all look the same but completely different model numbers.

that XPC slim seems like a quiet home theater pc with no discreet video

the Dan Case A4-SFX is the smallest case for a real "gaming" computer, and would be pretty loud

eg intel i7-6700K
32GB RAM
Gtx 980 ti
600W psu

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

neither discrete nor discreet

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

qhat posted:

i'm glad i don't give a poo poo about games as much as i used to

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
finished off my first case the other week

owns hard, already thinking about the next case I want to make but I'm gonna get a lot of mileage out of this one first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Phoenixan posted:

i'm glad i don't give a poo poo about games as much as i used to

i've played video games my entire life but for those people it seems like their only hobby. that's brutally sad

• Locked thread