Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weezy Baby
May 20, 2007
2 chainz and diplo try $100k water (wtf), are not very impressed

https://youtu.be/rg3Mr6e1KMo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

This shouldn't make me so annoyed, but it does.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
What really pisses me off with that picture is those loving almonds. What are they doing there?

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Lareine posted:

What really pisses me off with that picture is those loving almonds. What are they doing there?

Maybe they're trying to ape those 'protein packs' that are just lunchables with some almonds and no crackers or cookies.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Picnic Princess posted:

Deconstructed meals.
This pisses me off because you know each of those "meals" $20 a piece.

Also, four pages and no one has mentioned toilet curry yet? https://tripque.wordpress.com/2013/11/18/is-modern-toilet-worth-the-hype/

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Picnic Princess posted:

Deconstructed meals.

Salad:

I would eat the heck out if this if it weren't for the fact it probably cost like forty dollars.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

cash crab posted:

This shouldn't make me so annoyed, but it does.

I think the stupid balanced cheese and the useless mustard swirls gets me. The whole damned trend is stupid. :colbert:

You can't even eat most of this!

Scathach fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 3, 2016

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

FetusSlapper posted:

Maybe they're trying to ape those 'protein packs' that are just lunchables with some almonds and no crackers or cookies.

Grown-up lunchables are the worst.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Scathach posted:

You can't even eat most of this!
While it is a deconstructed meal, this one is just for the purposes of showing off the ingredients of a dish. Everything actually gets cooked and ends up like this:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah even a deconstructivist restaurant won't give you whole gloves of raw garlic or a separate bowl with a whole lime and then another one with a quartered lime.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Yet.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'd eat this, it sounds good

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Palpek posted:

Yeah even a deconstructivist restaurant won't give you whole gloves of raw garlic or a separate bowl with a whole lime and then another one with a quartered lime.

Dude, I'm on the West coast. There's not a whole lot of stupid hipster stuff I don't think people will do.

Speaking of, use the whole damned plate and put the sauce *on* the food. Giving me a giant plate with two bites of food is not a meal.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Palpek posted:

I went to a "hot stone" restaurant once, where they bring you a plate of raw steak or chicken and a big slab of granite that has been heated to oven temperature, and you cook the meat yourself at the table on the hot rock. It was actually quite fun and novel, the one time, but I'm sure that sort of thing wouldn't last very long because there would so many people managing to poison themselves with badly-cooked meat.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Picnic Princess posted:

\

Ham sandwich:

How can you hate this, it's the funniest thing in the thread so far. I love the almonds carefully balanced on the cheese-and-stick construction, it's like someone's deliberately trying to make ridiculous poo poo to mock people.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah some of these certainly feel like they are taking the piss.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Stoatbringer posted:

I went to a "hot stone" restaurant once, where they bring you a plate of raw steak or chicken and a big slab of granite that has been heated to oven temperature, and you cook the meat yourself at the table on the hot rock. It was actually quite fun and novel, the one time, but I'm sure that sort of thing wouldn't last very long because there would so many people managing to poison themselves with badly-cooked meat.

Eh, most food poisoning is from cross-contamination rather than badly-cooked meat someone does themselves.

Okay, trends-- have we talked about bacon everything yet? Yeah bacon is great but it doesn't need to be in every meal plus dessert. Also, gently caress ultra-expensive "artisan" beers.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Scathach posted:

Okay, trends-- have we talked about bacon everything yet? Yeah bacon is great but it doesn't need to be in every meal plus dessert.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I thought the bacon fad had come and gone.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Scathach posted:

Dude, I'm on the West coast. There's not a whole lot of stupid hipster stuff I don't think people will do.

Speaking of, use the whole damned plate and put the sauce *on* the food. Giving me a giant plate with two bites of food is not a meal.

I know how you feel man. I keep going to the same restaurants and they never change their preparation and they charge too much and they plate things wrong but I keep going and going and hoping they'll change but they never do.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Scathach posted:

Okay, trends-- have we talked about bacon everything yet? Yeah bacon is great but it doesn't need to be in every meal plus dessert. Also, gently caress ultra-expensive "artisan" beers.

Craft beers can be nice but some of them are woeful and the price difference between them and the established brands is a kick in the teeth.
There's a certain greediness disguised behind their "artisinal" façade of many hipster brewers.

Recently an up and coming craft brewery ran a kickstarter to fund it's expansion. Never mind that they are well established and could raise the money through standard financial methods. They went through crowd-funding whereby a €5 gets you a thank you message, €25 gets you a crappy bottle-opener, €100 gets a t-shirt and €500 gets a vat in the brewery named after you, for all that would entail. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1706233908/rye-river-brewing-company

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The worst part about all of these stupid faux fancy restaurants is that they have driven the cost of dining out through the roof. I kind of dread going out to dinner and drinks with friends anymore because it's hard not to spend like $75 a person for some mediocre pretentious food and cocktails or craft beers.

I'm honestly a better cook than half of these try hards charging $20 for a burger I have to eat with a fork, that comes with no sides. I just leave feeling so ripped off. But oh hey dave's girlfriend says this place is great and that's where we are meeting so I guess I get to get fleeced for some forgettable meal.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

I have these plates. I got them on clearance at Target for $1 a plate.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Heston Blumenthal is clever but he is the king of this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eavFIxrH-E

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I don't think it's "hipster" but the trend of the past year of individually wrapping produce really bothers me. These aren't loose small things either where it might be a bit annoying to handle. I mean things like how I can't get a red bell pepper that isn't individually cellophane wrapped.

peter gabriel posted:

Heston Blumenthal is clever but he is the king of this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eavFIxrH-E

So often these are neat tricks but taste awful.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 4, 2016

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I got into an outstanding internet fight with this woman who insisted that this sort of packaging was essential for "accessibility reasons". I pointed out that, from an accessibility standpoint, someone who has issues with opening orange peels wouldn't fare better with a clamshell package, it's probably not intended for a disabled audience, and that if you wanted to be accessible AND stop being a wasteful gently caress, you could sell peeled oranges in soft biodegradable plastic wrapping that is easy to open, like Sun-chip bags. She did not reply. Oh, well.

But seriously, if you buy poo poo like this, you are bourgeoisie scum.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Picnic Princess posted:

Deconstructed meals.

Chinese pork bun:

I'll also add everything in this post

https://foodmiles.wordpress.com/2012/02/27/vue-de-monde-melbourne/

Fairly sure this is just take out

Palpek posted:

Its just next level Korean BBQ

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 4, 2016

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Stoatbringer posted:

The Glumslinger posted:

Its just next level Korean BBQ

Hot granite stone restaurant sounds like taking the fun out of Korean bbq.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

cash crab posted:

I got into an outstanding internet fight with this woman who insisted that this sort of packaging was essential for "accessibility reasons".

I've run into people making this argument before... about infomercials. (For that, the line is, "Those products are really designed for disabled people! Omg how dare you question the noble Slap Chop" or whatever.)

It's the weirdest loving thing, and I can't track it back to any actual facts at all. The closest I got was an unsourced tumblr post.

Thankfully it's not common, but every now and again I run across someone trying to one-up their opponent by claiming that "[product X] is intended for the disabled, you hateful bigot". And the people making that argument are rarely disabled themselves.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I would eat the heck out if this if it weren't for the fact it probably cost like forty dollars.

Ted Allen isn't joking when he says that a huge amount of fancy food is how well you can plate it. Considering that's like ~6 dollars of produce at best, very little prep work and a tiny bit of cheese and I bet people willingly pay 25-50 dollars for it. It looks pretty as hell tho.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

shelley posted:

I've run into people making this argument before... about infomercials. (For that, the line is, "Those products are really designed for disabled people! Omg how dare you question the noble Slap Chop" or whatever.)

It's the weirdest loving thing, and I can't track it back to any actual facts at all. The closest I got was an unsourced tumblr post.

Thankfully it's not common, but every now and again I run across someone trying to one-up their opponent by claiming that "[product X] is intended for the disabled, you hateful bigot". And the people making that argument are rarely disabled themselves.

Yeah, 0.01% of products are earnestly aimed at disabled people. Like, Snuggies are really helpful for people using wheelchairs, but it wasn't aimed at them. I promise you that prepeeled oranges weren't aimed at people with joint issues because I have joint issues and a clamshell package is actually annoying if your fingers hurt all the time. An orange, on the other hand, is easy to open when you have lovely fingers.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

The Glumslinger posted:

Take it out back and throw it out, more like.

And then scoop up the scraps and put it in a hat and serve it to someone even less discerning.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

cash crab posted:

But seriously, if you buy poo poo like this, you are bourgeoisie scum.

Pfft. Like the Bourgeoisie would be at a supermarket. They're petit-Bourgeoisie scum at best.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

The Glumslinger posted:

This kind of bao is often served in parts. You assemble it yourself or a server comes and does it for you, and if you have roast duck ones they often bring it out whole, slice, and assemble.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Doesn't the oil from the butter just float to the top? it sounds really disgusting. I've heard of people putting eggs in coffee lately too which sounds even worse.

Yeah it does.

I've never tried it since I'm not big on butter, but I've heard it gives the coffee a nice rich taste.

Also this is like stuff old people do. The only people I've seen drinking butter coffee are old folks. And my granddad used to give his kids milo with raw egg in them.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
It's funny how A LOT of people don't understand what deconstructed means when applied to food preparation and presentation.

biopanda
Sep 28, 2007

mania posted:

Yeah it does.

I've never tried it since I'm not big on butter, but I've heard it gives the coffee a nice rich taste.

Also this is like stuff old people do. The only people I've seen drinking butter coffee are old folks. And my granddad used to give his kids milo with raw egg in them.

I assume those people are doing it wrong, because that looks pretty... unappetizing at best. The few times I've had it, it's always been ran through a blender which works the butter into the coffee and makes it look and taste pretty similar to a latte.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

mania posted:

Yeah it does.

But. Then what the gently caress is creamer for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Bonster posted:

I keep looking at these not-plates and wondering how the hell they can be sanitized. The clipboard would have to be pitched after one use, and I can't imagine the matryoshka doll surviving a good hot water wash. Shoes are definitely not made to be washed. How do you clean them for the next customer?

To be fair, Id imagine things like the shoes are used to hold bottles or glasses, or are heavily lined with paper or something for things like fries. So in the end nothing really touches the shoe itself. Granted the clipboards and tennis rackets are just disgusting and shouldn't be used more than once, or ever.

Granted this is also wishful thinking on my part regarding the sneakers

• Locked thread