Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I love the end version of the musical which gives it the proper rock opera staging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Good god those were amazing.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Surprised Logan let them go after hitting only Gene with that devastating finishing maneuver. Then again, he does smell like three year old melon and might have gotten chased out of there.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I missed the first episode yesterday and I didn't have time to watch it this morning.

I did catch the last half of the second episode though. That was amazing. It managed to be as gory as Family Guy but make it humorous and tie into the actual story.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Nah, to be as gory as Family Guy, Louise would have to bash Frond's head in with a bat or something. Literally last night's episode had "Chris" (in a parody of of Mice and Men) crush and kill a puppy version of Brian.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Nah, to be as gory as Family Guy, Louise would have to bash Frond's head in with a bat or something. Literally last night's episode had "Chris" (in a parody of of Mice and Men) crush and kill a puppy version of Brian.

Let me guess, was the scene 12 and a half minutes long? Talk about hilarious!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
No. It was one of those 3 short stories episodes so they didn't have time. The whole thing was rushed and not very good.

Brian was murdered in each of them like a ripoff of that Treehouse of Horror where Willie is killed in all 3 stories (although I bet the FG team prefers to call it an homage).

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hey, their homage to Airplane! only ripped off some of the most memorable jokes!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I actually think overall Family Guy has been funnier lately than in the past but then they still insist on at least one overly mean spirited and/or graphically violent scene in every episode. It happens without fail. They must not trust the audience enough to watch it if they don't make it "edgy".

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I thought the first episode was sorta meh. They shouldn't do three plotlines in one episode, although it was worth watching Linda get high off weed cookies.

That second episode, though, was the best of the season so far, and probably the best Thanksgiving episode of the bunch. And it's up against some stiff competition in that category.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I actually think overall Family Guy has been funnier lately than in the past but then they still insist on at least one overly mean spirited and/or graphically violent scene in every episode. It happens without fail. They must not trust the audience enough to watch it if they don't make it "edgy".
What about jokes that go on for over two minutes? Do they still have those?

I've heard that even Seth MacFarlene is sick of Family Guy at this point. It's too much of a cash cow for him to just give up, though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zero One posted:

No. It was one of those 3 short stories episodes so they didn't have time. The whole thing was rushed and not very good.

Brian was murdered in each of them like a ripoff of that Treehouse of Horror where Willie is killed in all 3 stories (although I bet the FG team prefers to call it an homage).

That episode had some solid jokes. "I'm Huck Finn, what's the second half of your name?"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I stopped watching FG when it was clear that whoever writes it now just wants to do shock value offensive stuff over comedy.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

I stopped watching FG when it was clear that whoever writes it now just wants to do shock value offensive stuff over comedy.

So... in the 90s?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

So... in the 90s?
IMO Family Guy stopped being the show people clamored to come back after its first post-cancellation season. Before then, it was a lot of "I get this reference" humor. That's hit-or-miss by nature, but at least there was a semblance of heart and care put into it. After that, it became very self-referential and self-absorbed. I've heard "Shi-poopy" brought up as a negative turning point for the show.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

get that OUT of my face posted:

IMO Family Guy stopped being the show people clamored to come back after its first post-cancellation season. Before then, it was a lot of "I get this reference" humor. That's hit-or-miss by nature, but at least there was a semblance of heart and care put into it. After that, it became very self-referential and self-absorbed. I've heard "Shi-poopy" brought up as a negative turning point for the show.

Pretty much how I feel. It's the same sort of turn The Simpsons took (albeit a lot faster). We went from pretty grounded stories that at least made some sense to "this week for some reason Peter plays for the New England Patriots". He also went from "relatable fat everyman who just didn't get stuff" to "literally retarded".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhKQ6oxLsEU

I was a little worried Bob's Burgers was kind of going down this path with wacky one-off adventures like the Seaplane episode or the one where they go camping and get washed down a river.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

In fairness to the Simpsons they are at what, 600 episodes? 800? At a certain point I have no idea what you write for that show

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FlamingLiberal posted:

In fairness to the Simpsons they are at what, 600 episodes? 800? At a certain point I have no idea what you write for that show

I heard an interview with the creator of Father Ted and The IT Crowd where he said he would never insult modern Simpsons, because the fact that they're actually able to keep coming up with new stories blows his mind.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's a 600 episode marathon on FxX this Thanksgiving for the Simpsons.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Guy Goodbody posted:

I heard an interview with the creator of Father Ted and The IT Crowd where he said he would never insult modern Simpsons, because the fact that they're actually able to keep coming up with new stories blows his mind.

I don't know, that's like saying you could never insult someone walking through 600 miles of 6ft high poo poo. I mean sure it's impressive and it takes a lot of hard work, but why would you do that?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I know people like to poo poo on Seth McFarland, but when he is hands on with Family Guy or American Dad, that is when the shows are at its best. You can clearly see in FG when Seth started working on other projects (although to be fair its not like Ted or A Million Ways were great) and you can notice when he comes back to being the showrunner.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

swickles posted:

I know people like to poo poo on Seth McFarland, but when he is hands on with Family Guy or American Dad, that is when the shows are at its best. You can clearly see in FG when Seth started working on other projects (although to be fair its not like Ted or A Million Ways were great) and you can notice when he comes back to being the showrunner.
Yeah that's what I've seen. I'm not sure which guys took over when he became more hands-off on FG but they are awful

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

swickles posted:

This is true, dude's also insanely talented vocally.

Futurama suffered from the same sort of problem when it was resurrected.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I just saw Larger Brother Where Fart Thou :kimchi:

I think that might be in my top 5 favorite episodes

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Guy Goodbody posted:

Presuming that's Graham Linehan, it's always good to remember that amongst the absolute genius he's come out with, he also has Count Arthur Strong and Hippies to his credit.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Gene and Louise being cool cleaning up guts to hook up Tina and Jimmy Jr. really made that second episode. It's nice to watch the adventures of an animated family that actually give a poo poo about one another.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Inkspot posted:

It's nice to watch the adventures of an animated family that actually give a poo poo about one another.
For all the cynicism of classic Simpsons, there is a heart beating underneath it. Of course, that era ended twenty years ago, so it feels refreshing now.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I was a little worried Bob's Burgers was kind of going down this path with wacky one-off adventures like the Seaplane episode or the one where they go camping and get washed down a river.

Really? They've always done these and they've always been my favorite Bob's Burgers episodes. The writers have a knack for making them actually fun and interesting to watch. For me it's episodes where the family has yet another opportunity for success but squanders it for reasons that are signs of stagnation.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Inkspot posted:

Gene and Louise being cool cleaning up guts to hook up Tina and Jimmy Jr. really made that second episode. It's nice to watch the adventures of an animated family that actually give a poo poo about one another.

That's why they're the Belcher kids, from the womb to the tomb.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've been watching through the Simpsons and you can definitely feel the quality dipping during the 9th season.

Part of it is just the general turnover in the writers room, early Simpsons writer quality was ridiculously strong (Conan wrote for it, iirc); but part of it is also who replaces the ones who left. As a show goes on new and different writers come on and they generally fall into two camps, those who were fans of the show and those who weren't. It's why Heroes suffered from producing every episode twice over, the newer writing staff were all fans of the show who had their own favorite characters who they would write cute little stories for which the network had to assemble into some semblance of coherent plot. On the flip side you have something like Sliders, whose writing and production staff utterly hated the actors to the point where there was only one original character by the end of the series from the first season left, with the others being killed, replaced and killed, or sentenced forever to be raped in an alien breeding colony.

You occasionally have a show like Babylon 5 where the quality may dip or rise with occasionally but because each episode had the final approval of a show runner with a vision and a plan (or was largely written by one guy ala Louie) it ends up being remarkably consistent in tone.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Listen, we may be a little high... I mean, late... getting home.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Guy Goodbody posted:

That episode had some solid jokes. "I'm Huck Finn, what's the second half of your name?"

Hahaha I literally watched the entire episode just waiting to see how they handled that, and I was not disappointed

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Wasn't the final death blow for The Simpsons' quality the defection of its best writers to Futurama?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I would join the Endangered Baby Animal Cuddle Club

edit: That was all just amazing, especially the gingerbread competition climax

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 28, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm the fun one.

Man, that was great. That bear at the end was way too cute.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I changed my mind about having kids.

I'm gonna have one and then feed it to this bear 'cause I love him so much!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Leave it to Fox to put the newest Bob's Burgers on a weekend when hardly anyone else is airing new episodes (including Fox's other Sunday shows) and, I would assume, hardly anyone is watching.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I didn't even know there was a new one. Usually this thread is more active when there is.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I almost missed that this was airing too.

Worth it, though. Liked Linda's new carol, I think it's gonna be a standard.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

get that OUT of my face posted:

Leave it to Fox to put the newest Bob's Burgers on a weekend when hardly anyone else is airing new episodes (including Fox's other Sunday shows) and, I would assume, hardly anyone is watching.
The Christmas episode, no less. After shelving it for 8 out of the last 10 weekends (even before/after the world series).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Only on Fox could a thanksgiving episode and a Christmas one be aired a week apart.

• Locked thread