Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

silence_kit posted:

It's a very popular idea on this message board.
:laffo: no it's not you simpering dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Quotas are fine.

Like I don't think they're used much/ever but they're fine.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

And maybe that should be dealt with in some way?

Yes, this is the idea behind writing policies which favor women in order to counteract against the in-practice prejudice they face.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
The more I think about it though, the better it seems that denying rights to white men is.

I mean do I really need access to health care or equal pay? Or for people to actually listen to me and consider me an authority just because I'm a dude?

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 24, 2017

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Deified Data posted:

Lena Dunham is a leader in modern feminist thought, and the most important figure in modern feminism.

Anita Sarkeesian is a close second.

e. And yeah if you think feminists have a bee in their bonnet, have you seen how anti-feminists compose themselves? You basically have "shouts incoherently" or "pretends to be Kane from C&C" to choose from.

A pedophile exhibitionist with an eating disorder that is hated so much that any TV show she appears on has it's ratings crater is the most important figure in modern feminism?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

OwlFancier posted:

Quotas are fine.

Like I don't think they're used much/ever but they're fine.

Quotas aren't even a thing. In affirmative action laws they are flat out illegal in hiring. They are a made up version of how programs work that people's lovely uncles talk about to bring up as a scary boogie man. They are always based on some weird idea that a bunch of superiors are getting replaced with inferiors because there is some number in a book that says they have to be. That is basically never what is actually happening. The rules for employment stuff is virtually always just strengthening and putting checks on verification that the best candidate is winning the job and that the disadvantaged group is given interview chances. It's never laws saying "you need to fire some whites and replace them with some black women (which are worse, cuz you know why)" it's always "we are going to audit your choice to hire a highschool dropout white guy over the 8 phd holding black women that interviewed"

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Basically the statistics of society mean you have to believe one of two things: either women are an oppressed group, or women are actually inferior.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/women/reports/2014/03/07/85457/fact-sheet-the-womens-leadership-gap/

---------------------------------

You can throw in the some more statistics that are sure laugh riots by pointing out they are also under represented in the religious power structures, in presidentship and in military leadership, and various aspects of sports. Stuff that is so strongly assumed to be true true it comes off as funny to even mention.

Like you can talk about one solution or another being the best solution, disagree with some writer on on how fix this. But really the only possible options are that society does something to suppress women, or that women are actually given a fair shot but actually are actually deficient in literally everything from being actors to running hospitals to being school superintendents.

The ratio of retarded males to retarded females is 3:2.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2563255/

The only possible options are that men are actually mentally deficient in some fundamental way, or that a patriarchal society includes a lot of men who are conspiring to make each other's sons mentally retarded.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Also, for college and universities admission they were deemed unconstitutional in Regents of the University of California vs. Bakke.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

silence_kit posted:

It's a very popular idea on this message board.

citation needed

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Phyzzle posted:

The only possible options are that men are actually mentally deficient in some fundamental way, or that a patriarchal society includes a lot of men who are conspiring to make each other's sons mentally retarded.

I'm not sure how showing men are more likely to be mentally disabled is supposed to make stats that men hold multi hundred percent leads in virtually every power structure in society seem better.

Like are you suggesting that there is a genetic basis why women are underrepresented in such unrelated tasks as military leadership, religious leadership and film making? Hell, they only make up 6% of head chiefs at top restaurants and cooking is the go to sexist thing of what biotruth bros try and claim women are for are women genetically inferior at cooking and movie making and military leadership?

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 24, 2017

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
For anyone who wants to read a thing on anti-(internet?)feminism,

http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/01/01/untitled/

quote:

I live in a world where feminists throwing weaponized shame at nerds is an obvious and inescapable part of daily life. Whether we’re “mouth-breathers”, “pimpled”, “scrawny”, “blubbery”, “sperglord”, “neckbeard”, “virgins”, “living in our parents’ basements”, “man-children” or whatever the insult du jour is, it’s always, always, ALWAYS a self-identified feminist saying it. Sometimes they say it obliquely, referring to a subgroup like “bronies” or “atheists” or “fedoras” while making sure everyone else in nerddom knows it’s about them too.
Let’s not mince words. There is a growing trend in Internet feminism that works exactly by conflating the ideas of 'person who disagrees with feminist tactics or politics', nerd, misogynist, virgin, and unlovable freak.

Ms. Penny may be right that her ideal feminism doesn’t do that. Then again, my ideal masculinity doesn’t involve rape or sexual harassment. Ideals are always pretty awesome. But women still have the right to complain when actual men rape them, and I’m pretty sure nerds deserve the right to complain that actual feminists are, a lot of the time, focused way more on nerd-baiting than actual feminism, and that much the same people who called us “gross” and “fat” and “loser” in high school are calling us “gross” and “misogynist” and “entitled” now, and for much the same reasons.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Phyzzle posted:

that much the same people who called us “gross” and “fat” and “loser” in high school are calling us “gross” and “misogynist” and “entitled” now, and for much the same reasons.

That doesn't even seem true at a surface level. What kinda weirdo highschool would that even be? All the bullies are feminist types? All the popular football players grew up to be feminist girls on the internet?

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
i mean the gross part is probably about the same

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like are you suggesting that there is a genetic basis why women are underrepresented in such unrelated tasks as military leadership, religious leadership and film making? Hell, they only make up 6% of head chiefs at top restaurants and cooking is the go to sexist thing of what biotruth bros try and claim women are for are women genetically inferior at cooking and movie making and military leadership?

I makes no sense on the face of it that head chefs would be so overwhelmingly men, based on genetic factors alone. But the 3:2 ratio also makes no sense. It's a bit of a mystery to me.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Phyzzle posted:

I makes no sense on the face of it that head chefs would be so overwhelmingly men, based on genetic factors alone. But the 3:2 ratio also makes no sense. It's a bit of a mystery to me.

I have literally no idea what point you are trying to make. Are you saying that because you found one biotruth that that means all biotruths have to be on the table? And because you have found a biotruth that shows men have some inferior gene that must mean that women have inferior genes?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That doesn't even seem true at a surface level. What kinda weirdo highschool would that even be? All the bullies are feminist types? All the popular football players grew up to be feminist girls on the internet?

You didn't go to femdom highschool?

How did you get your level 2 in boot worshipping otherwise?

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Here is a few documentaries on the subject that fit what the OP wants I guess:

From that hell hole called Canada:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jEQYHAFfjg

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

A pedophile exhibitionist with an eating disorder that is hated so much that any TV show she appears on has it's ratings crater is the most important figure in modern feminism?

Poe's Law

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Phyzzle posted:

I makes no sense on the face of it that head chefs would be so overwhelmingly men, based on genetic factors alone

i wonder why

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Men are genetically more likely to be color blind, therefore all descrimination towards women is justified

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

quote:

Ms. Penny may be right that her ideal feminism doesn’t do that. Then again, my ideal masculinity doesn’t involve rape or sexual harassment. Ideals are always pretty awesome. But women still have the right to complain when actual men rape them, and I’m pretty sure nerds deserve the right to complain that actual feminists are, a lot of the time, focused way more on nerd-baiting than actual feminism..

First off, maybe nerds should quit sexualizing women in such extreme ways, and crying when women want to see more people like them represented in media.

Something about the phrasing of "right to complain" really gets me angry. Like, if you get overcharged for a movie, or your soup comes out cold, you complain. These rape victims have been raped, that's not a complaint thing, that's a criminal utterly abhorrent thing.

Also, it's ridiculously reductionist to reduce feminism down to preventing rape, sexual assault, and sexual violence. It denies us agency and casts us into perpetual victimhood. Like, prevention is one of the big aims for sure, but that's not the be-all end-all endgame of feminism. Don't get me wrong, if sexual violence all miraculously stopped tomorrow, I'd be thrilled, but we'd still have tons of problems to solve.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Basically the statistics of society mean you have to believe one of two things: either women are an oppressed group, or women are actually inferior.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/women/reports/2014/03/07/85457/fact-sheet-the-womens-leadership-gap/

They are only 14.6 percent of executive officers, 8.1 percent of top earners, and 4.6 percent of Fortune 500 CEOs.

They hold just 16.9 percent of Fortune 500 board seats.

In the financial services industry, they make up 54.2 percent of the labor force, but are only 12.4 percent of executive officers, and 18.3 percent of board directors. None are CEOs.

They account for 78.4 percent of the labor force in health care and social assistance but only 14.6 percent of executive officers and 12.4 percent of board directors. None, again, are CEOs.

In the legal field, they are 45.4 percent of associates—but only 25 percent of nonequity partners and 15 percent of equity partners.

In medicine, they comprise 34.3 percent of all physicians and surgeons but only 15.9 percent of medical school deans.

In information technology, they hold only 9 percent of management positions and account for only 14 percent of senior management positions at Silicon Valley startups.

Women accounted for just 16 percent of all the directors, executive producers, producers, writers, cinematographers, and editors who worked on the top-grossing 250 domestic films of 2013, and were just 28 percent of all offscreen talent on broadcast television programs during the 2012-13 primetime season.

Women today hold only 18.5 percent of congressional seats, and they are just 20 percent of U.S. senators.

They hold only 24.2 percent of state legislature seats.

They are only 10 percent of governors.

Only 12 percent of the mayors of the 100 largest American cities are women.

On average, women are outnumbered 2-to-1 by men as state-level cabinet appointees.

You can throw in the some more statistics that are sure laugh riots by pointing out they are also under represented in the religious power structures, in presidentship and in military leadership, and various aspects of sports. Stuff that is so strongly assumed to be true true it comes off as funny to even mention.

Like you can talk about one solution or another being the best solution, disagree with some writer on on how fix this. But really the only possible options are that society does something to suppress women, or that women are actually given a fair shot but actually are actually deficient in literally everything from being actors to running hospitals to being school superintendents.

I'm sure some segment of the above stats can be attributed strongly to some cultural trends that reduce female competitiveness, but I think a problem I see with your post is that it doesn't really take into account the realities of human biology.

We're a dimorphic species, the two genders have very noticeably different relationships with mental illness, crime, poverty, and men are much more likely to be autistic or somewhere in that spectrum, (like 4x times more) meaning men are more likely to have super powers. That said women are generally less interested in being materially performative or aggressive. (stand up comedy)

When you have those characteristics operating in large population groups, the gender imbalance across society isn't surprising,

Sethex fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 24, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Sethex posted:

I'm sure some segment of the above stats can be attributed strongly to some cultural trends that reduce female competitiveness, but I think a problem I see with your post is that it doesn't really take into account the realities of human biology.

We're a dimorphic species, the two genders have very noticeably different relationships with mental illness, crime, poverty, and men are much more likely to be autistic or somewhere in that spectrum, (like 4x times more) meaning men are more likely to have super powers. That said women are generally less interested in being materially performative or aggressive. (stand up comedy)

When you have those characteristics operating in large population groups, the gender imbalance across society isn't surprising,

:biotruths:

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I'd put more effort into explaining this stuff but the over emotional tone your clique gets around this subject makes me less interested in that.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Sethex posted:

I'd put more effort into explaining this stuff but the over emotional tone your clique gets around this subject makes me less interested in that.

"You broads get all hysterical, :biotruths:"

:rolleyes:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought that was supposed to be sarcastic honestly.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Sethex posted:

I'm so simple-minded that I cannot imagine a human society that differs even slightly from the cultural norms I grew up in. Women like the color pink because they were evolved to find berries. Fart.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I have literally no idea what point you are trying to make. Are you saying that because you found one biotruth that that means all biotruths have to be on the table? And because you have found a biotruth that shows men have some inferior gene that must mean that women have inferior genes?
That men are more likely to be retarded is just the other side of the coin of the fact that men having (generally) only a single X-chromosome means a greater variability in ability, without another X-chromosome to override genetic mutations, which causes men to be over-represented at both ends of the spectrum of human intelligence. That's why men are so over-represented among board of directors/CEOs, because you have to have an intellect to match Einstein's be able to make it in that world.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Phyzzle posted:

For anyone who wants to read a thing on anti-(internet?)feminism,

http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/01/01/untitled/

Thanks for posting this. I think it was a pretty interesting read about how the Patriarchy undermines men in different ways than women. I agree with one of the main messages -- that the suffering of women is not the same as the suffering of men + additional baggage. I think that Patriarchal expectations create brutal outcomes for men that are low self esteem or have been bullied. While the outcomes discussed in the article were centered around someone who strived for asexuality as an exit, I think this sort of scenario is also what often leads to the redpill brand of misogyny as well.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That men are more likely to be retarded is just the other side of the coin of the fact that men having (generally) only a single X-chromosome means a greater variability in ability, without another X-chromosome to override genetic mutations, which causes men to be over-represented at both ends of the spectrum of human intelligence. That's why men are so over-represented among board of directors/CEOs, because you have to have an intellect to match Einstein's be able to make it in that world.

this sentence belongs in a museum. a museum for dipshit things people have said.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't tell who is being ironic any more.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

I can't tell who is being ironic any more.
Not surprising given your opinions on wallpaper.

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

What a woefully bad rebuttal.

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016
Can someone just post realsexism.com and then the thread dies I like when that happens to these threads.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

stone cold posted:

First off, maybe nerds should quit sexualizing women in such extreme ways, and crying when women want to see more people like them represented in media.

Something about the phrasing of "right to complain" really gets me angry. Like, if you get overcharged for a movie, or your soup comes out cold, you complain. These rape victims have been raped, that's not a complaint thing, that's a criminal utterly abhorrent thing.

Also, it's ridiculously reductionist to reduce feminism down to preventing rape, sexual assault, and sexual violence. It denies us agency and casts us into perpetual victimhood. Like, prevention is one of the big aims for sure, but that's not the be-all end-all endgame of feminism. Don't get me wrong, if sexual violence all miraculously stopped tomorrow, I'd be thrilled, but we'd still have tons of problems to solve.

I don't think the author was reducing feminism down to preventing rape or sexual violence. They were reducing masculinity down to being a force of rape and sexual violence. Nerds are also not a monolithic entity. I somehow doubt the nerd being described in the article would be the kind of person that is into oversexualized women in video games.

I think that author is providing a lucid view into the ways that patriarchal norms can deeply affect men too, and some of it definitely resonates with what I've experienced personally growing up.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Phyzzle posted:

Or that mental health care is skewed in favor of diagnosing illness in men and passing off illness as nothing to worry about in women.

(This is incidentally one of the core mistakes that CH Sommers's entire terrible book about teaching is built on!)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Actually no wait, way more this one:

the ladies in the second panel look like they'd be cooler to hang put with~

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit
sad, you can barely have a decent discussion on this without venturing into conservative/TRP horseshit because feminists' fav thing is to run dissent into the ground with petty ad homs and reinforced groupthink.

don't forget, when men do it, it's circlejerking, when women do it, it's validation.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I've heard so many people want the word "feminism" to be changed. I don't think they're all anti-fems per se, but they get caught up in the word and the fact it has "fem-" in it.

I am of the belief that you shouldn't have to change the name to "equalism" or whatever they want, but I think it would have more of an impact if they did. I can't find the article now, but there was this interesting research into perception of climate change - I think it was in the 'effective leftism' thread. Anyway, it basically said that if you 'brand' climate change nostalgically, you end up with a lot more sympathy from the right: "Make earth great again" rather than "save the planet for our kids".
I guess my point is that branding and perception are incredibly important in something (that's now) as politicised as feminism.

When I was first learning about feminism, I had a series of very negative interactions. It was that time where everything on facebook was "Bitch, I am playing COD get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich" like 10 years ago. A lot of my feminist friends were (rightly) critical of my terrible taste in facebook pages, but were reluctant to discuss it, saying: "It's not my job to teach you about this blah blah." I thought this was isolated to them, but university was a similar experience. Luckily, I did bother going away and reading about it, but I had no idea if what I was reading was right or not. I dread to think what I would have discovered in this random mix of accessible tumblr feminism.

I don't really know what conclusions I draw from all this. I guess I just wish I'd had more patient friends growing up. I also wish, as Aziz Ansari said of muslims on SNL, that every time they show a caricatured feminist talking about non-issues in the media, they also show others discussing more serious issues in a calm, considered way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

cosmicprank posted:

What a woefully bad rebuttal.

What on earth are you talking about?

• Locked thread