Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

I joined this website first and im pretty sure that means I have seniority and it's you that should shut up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

God gay, so what?

What if there is a higher being, but it's just like, an alien but then we kill him. So we killed our god, what now?

Edit:

Jim Barris posted:

I joined this website first and im pretty sure that means I have seniority and it's you that should shut up!

You stole my page snipe, what a jerk!
:bsdsnype:

Antiquated Pants fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 23, 2017

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
doesn't matter, we're all in a simulation anyways

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Jim Barris posted:

EVERYBODY SHUT UP - god

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
Seer of millions of years
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I am the lord of eternity
I feel
I perceive
I am in the utchat in it's closing
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine
I go in and I come to life
anyone who hates god believes in him and is therefore dumb like everyone else, hth

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ra tehuti posted:

anyone who hates god believes in him and is therefore dumb like everyone else, hth

this is a factual statement.

I'm an atheist.

If there is a god let them manifest themselves in such a way as being known.

Oh.....Look.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
God is real an my life professor. If i gently caress up too hard i'll burn, if i do great i'll do some fun poo poo or whatev, if i go in between i'll roll a boulder uphill for a million years like that Chevy Chase scene in Funny Farm

God is Hammond in the movie version of Jurrasic Park "I dont blame people for their mistakes. But I do ask that they pay for them."

Zippy: "Thanks dad"

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Jim Barris posted:

shut the gently caress up Barris I have seniority

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I think its absolutely loving insane that mature, intelligent adults talk and make wishes to a mythical being described in a book.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
nihilism is the ultimate philosophy

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
tight

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
the only purpose humans have to remain living rather than just laying down to die is to use up our supply of dopamine or die trying

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I'm going to come to Jesus. Thanks pick

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
There's no such thing as God. Nothing in the world or universe makes sense as the product of a all powerful, benevolent designer. The fact that life exists is pretty weird though. I mean, look at how complex something like a deer is. And that deer came about through blind, mindless laws of physics? That's crazy. Although an all powerful, benevolent designer making something as hosed-up and as a deer makes no sense either.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

The Dennis System posted:

There's no such thing as God. Nothing in the world or universe makes sense as the product of a all powerful, benevolent designer. The fact that life exists is pretty weird though. I mean, look at how complex something like a deer is. And that deer came about through blind, mindless laws of physics? That's crazy. Although an all powerful, benevolent designer making something as hosed-up and as a deer makes no sense either.

turns out 4.5 billion years is a really fuckin long time
but yeah it's also crazy, crazy cool.

Healthy Nut Snack
Mar 23, 2016
I think if there's really something that exists that's all powerful and omnipotent, then it's completely beyond the scope of our ability to try to understand it, let alone what it wants. We should do things to make the world we share a better place, and do good unto our fellow man. There's so much that we don't know about the laws that govern our own universe, how can we possibly claim to know what something that exists outside of those laws is like?

edit: friends with benefits :wink:

Healthy Nut Snack fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 23, 2017

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NqCccV6Y31s

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
nearly every day i wake up and throw the sheets off my bed, never bothering to tuck them back in, feel the pain in my elbows and yell out IDIOT BITCH FUCKER to the heavens, the days where i forget to do this god treats me with the exact same indifference

Night Pay
Nov 22, 2016

by Smythe
We cut a deal a while back where I'll not be a shithead and in turn I don't have to worship him and he will spare me the most arbitrary of his many spites

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I don't say God op, I say The Universe.

The universe wills it, etc.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
God gave me a handjob at a party once. I didn't reciprocate.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
god is the meat grinder and the meat

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I nearly died and had a meaningful religious experience while at the hospital. I can't say if it was just the kindness of the chaplain staying with me, when the Army dropped the ball so hard they didn't notify my parents for 18 hours, or if it was something more but since then I've been much more religious in public and private practice.

e: It was a Jewish chaplain and I've kept Kosher since, although I was raised Catholic. I might compromise and become Orthodox or a Messianic Jew eventually. That same chaplain has kept in touch with me in 3 years of recovery when doctors and case managers get new postings.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 23, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
That Chaplin regrets helping you every single day of his life.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i am god

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i figure i'll hedge my bets re: god but i want a baller god to worship

odin's too obvious, ra's been co-opted by wiccans and they suck, i'm too removed from my roots to go with like kanaloa or something, bishamonten is too weeb... i was thinking maybe kitsune, god of "ask me for anything and like if you get it... coo'". what do you think

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I still talk to god sometimes. I ask him if what I'm doing is right or wrong. I am still waiting for an answer. Until I get one, I will be out here. Waiting. Watching. The guilty will be punished.

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine
all prayer is self talk and god is dead.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
There is no God we are meat machines randomly formed from chemicals. It's pretty ok and we can make our own meanings.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
it's something along the lines of "lol it's loving 2017 and people still believe this poo poo jfc" :grin:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Pick have you ever been to Israel and seen where Jesus hung out and all that stuff

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine

rezatahs posted:

it's something along the lines of "lol it's loving 2017 and people still believe this poo poo jfc" :grin:

Americans unironically believe in trump why wouldn't they believe in magic-made-up-man in the sky?

Zajajaja
Jan 10, 2008
In my mind god is probably either really apathetic and just doing sweet rear end donuts somewhere in space or its like totally into whatever the gently caress is going on despite it being either horrible or good.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
we get it pick you are crazy :rolleyes:

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
I'm a Christian with a personal relationship with Jesus the Christ-man, yes - - but then again I'm also a pantheist. Thou art God, as the saying goes.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
well, i started off as a catholic, and for a while there i was thinking about moving on to divinity school, but somewhere along the way i found that i was more concerned with being rather than identity, so the label kinda faded. i think im probably an animist or something now

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

there are no good reasons for believing in god lol

they're all massively self serving or weak rear end excuses for social normalisation

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Saint Drogo posted:

there are no good reasons for believing in god lol

they're all massively self serving or weak rear end excuses for social normalisation

what about community building?

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Smash it Smash hit posted:

A council of elders works just as well rofl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Smash it Smash hit posted:

yeah that's both of the things I said and has sod all to do with god actually being real or not.

e: a council of elders sounds even worse though.

• Locked thread