Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

tsob posted:

What does her being gender ambiguous even mean? Like, she's quite obviously a woman still - so is it just that she's not showing cleavage and making jokes about sex or something? That aside, I quite enjoyed Pam for a while but by season 5 or so she was becoming hyper competent and kind of boring because she could beat everyone up, drift like a pro, get on with anyone, was the best sexual partner Archer ever had, scored perfectly in the written test and it just seemed to go on. I recognize that she had problems to go with all that competence, but by that point the competence seemed to outweigh the problems. That said, her and Archer being friends and Archer's talk with her about how cocaine had kind of ruined her and he missed the old Pam when they're on a road trip together is still one of the show's best scenes just for how surprisingly human a moment it is from such an exaggerated cast.

People are just super reaching as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

"I am just loving this marijuana cigarette!"

Oh Ray, never change

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Judy Greer is killing it even more than usual this season. Everything with Cheryl has been gold so far.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Metalshark posted:

Judy Greer is killing it even more than usual this season. Everything with Cheryl has been gold so far.
Been the best part by far. If it wasn't for that this would be a lesser Season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why did Pam imagine herself being bald with the Chinese ladies?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cojawfee posted:

Pam as an old man was a pretty good joke.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Technically this is Archer imagining Pam imagining she is bald in the future.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

People are just super reaching as usual.

They literally showed her as an old balding man in last night's episode. It's not some grand statement on gender identity, but people aren't reaching. It's a really obvious gag.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Metalshark posted:

:monocle: Heiress to the Van Der Tunt publishing fortune?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I'm pretty sure Pam is supposed to be a man. Didn't really have a lot of woman detectives back then.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because if there's one thing Archer is known for it's a strict adherence to history.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Happy 4/20! I hope you people have all the marijuana cigarettes you can handle. And by "you people" I mean the people reading this post.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm really enjoying the way Archer is imagining everyone. Cyril is way more threatening in Archer's head.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

HopperUK posted:

I'm really enjoying the way Archer is imagining everyone. Cyril is way more threatening in Archer's head.

Agreed. Cyril is way more interesting when he's smart and has plot autonomy outside of being the woobie punching bag.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Lol at all the pot references the night before 4/20.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

xzzy posted:

Because if there's one thing Archer is known for it's a strict adherence to history.

Like half this episode's bits were about history like that

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

HopperUK posted:

He doesn't seem much different to me to be honest, he's just in a greater position of power. He's basically always been willing to abuse any shred of power he has, he's just never had a huge amount of it. So when he's a cop and has the power to gently caress with people it's not surprising that he's trying to gently caress them as hard as he can, abusing it for personal profit and revenge. So far the only real change is that he's perhaps a bit cannier, trying straight away to take advantage of Cheryl for profit where normally he'd probably need someone else to suggest it or only think of it after the opportunity has already passed.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

As someone who loves good comedians doing bad comedy, Lana's syphilis-based act was excellent.

This ep was definitely a 4.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

tsob posted:

He doesn't seem much different to me to be honest, he's just in a greater position of power. He's basically always been willing to abuse any shred of power he has, he's just never had a huge amount of it. So when he's a cop and has the power to gently caress with people it's not surprising that he's trying to gently caress them as hard as he can, abusing it for personal profit and revenge. So far the only real change is that he's perhaps a bit cannier, trying straight away to take advantage of Cheryl for profit where normally he'd probably need someone else to suggest it or only think of it after the opportunity has already passed.

I didn't so much mean the things he's doing as the attitude he's taking. He's completely unfazed by Archer's attempts to insult or threaten him. It makes sense in context but Archer's mind is creating the context too, and he's placed Cyril in a threatening position of power. I think that's interesting.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Troy Queef posted:

As someone who loves good comedians doing bad comedy, Lana's syphilis-based act was excellent.

Out of 5 or...?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Troy Queef posted:

Ehhhh

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Not that it matters but the six-engined airplane in the opening titles is one of the early designs for the B-52.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Troy Queef posted:

Same, although I actually kind of liked her jokes. They were catchy, just like syphilis!

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

HopperUK posted:

I didn't so much mean the things he's doing as the attitude he's taking. He's completely unfazed by Archer's attempts to insult or threaten him. It makes sense in context but Archer's mind is creating the context too, and he's placed Cyril in a threatening position of power. I think that's interesting.
It may just be that tendency that everyone seems to have to fantasize themselves as the underdog even when they clearly aren't. Archer in the real world is the very opposite of an underdog, but he loves underdog stories and even seems to think of himself as one a few times.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 21, 2017

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I wasn't sold on the first ep but man the past two have been great once Cheryl got involved. It feels like classic Archer just set in a different time.

Archer's Most Racist Thing had me rolling.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not that it matters but the six-engined airplane in the opening titles is one of the early designs for the B-52.

Also Malory's thug bodyguard is a reference to Rondo Hatton (probably).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

HopperUK posted:

I still don't think he's that threatening to be honest, because his position of power is fairly low level ultimately and Archer is just ignoring or mocking all his attempts to threaten and annoy him. He's just a cop, not a mob boss like Mallory or Len Trexler. As a cop he can irritate Archer, and even attempted to get revenge for Archer screwing his wife but Archer was more concerned about finding the technical definitions of Cyril's word usage and what Cyril's actions meant to his client than he was for the arrest, which he almost immediately escaped. Cyril has attempted to do the same in earlier season and gotten much the same result if I recall. I think he's recontextualizing Cyril within the new setting his mind has cooked up and has made him roughly analguous to his real position and personality in doing so, much like everyone else. I think the fact his mother is a mob boss with no relation to or sympathy for him while his girlfriend and near wife is a complete stranger and snubs him is more interesting. Not to mention that AJ doesn't exist.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 21, 2017

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
I thought Pam-Noir being gender-ambiguous was pretty obvious. Even in the first scene where Archer is like "I swear I will punch you right in the...genitals".

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the old balding kinda gives it away

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It's because Archer thinks of Pam as his 'bro' even though they used to gently caress, so in his subconscious she's like a dude

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Bust Rodd posted:

It's because Archer thinks of Pam as his 'bro' even though they used to gently caress, so in his subconscious she's like a dude

Well, they are best friends, and we know that Archer has hosed all his best friends...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
How many possible pairings of the core cast haven't banged?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Henchman of Santa posted:

How many possible pairings of the core cast haven't banged?

Cheryl/Pam
Cheryl/Mallory
Krieger/Real Mallory
Krieger/Real Pam
Krieger/Real Cyril
Krieger/Real Lana
Archer/Cyril
Archer/Krieger

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 23, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

That is honestly shocking

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Pretty sure Archer never had sex with his mother, either.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Pretty sure Archer never had sex with his mother, either.

It's not like they're Vandertunts, after all.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Have we definitely had Cyril and Mallory? And what about Ray in general?

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 23, 2017

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

jojoinnit posted:

Have we definitely had Cyril and Mallory? And what about Ray in general?

Cyril and Mallory banged in the eipsode where they were writing a script when the actress who turned out to be a KGB sleeper agent visited.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Cheryl/Pam
Cheryl/Mallory
Krieger/Real Mallory
Krieger/Real Pam
Krieger/Real Cyril
Krieger/Real Lana
Archer/Cyril
Archer/Krieger

I just finished watching Season 7 Episode 8, where all the "Fake Clones" make their first appearance. I guess this is something to look forward to for the Season 7 finale I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"I failed the induction screening."

"Well, obviously."

...may be my favorite exchange this season.

This season's a bit weak for me, but Judy Greer is knocking it out of the park. Is it me or does Lana look lighter-skinned?

• Locked thread