Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
A Jaeger that is a missile. It just flies around and into Kaijus over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wild Horses posted:

yeah the movies need more wrestling tbh and less guns and stuff

like the completely superfluous rocket battery on the leg (?) of one of them. what's that really going to do, is that really necessary?
If you want a rocket weapon on a mech, you make that thing central to the design, put a huge silo in the spine of the robot and make a massive missile to go inside it

That was Striker Eureka in the first movie - its entire torso was a missile battery.

RBA Starblade posted:

Alternately go the Mad Cat route and alpha strike the giant monster to death.

The general MO of mechs in the first movie seemed to be beat up on the monsters until they're stunned and vulnerable to the mech's big weapon like Striker's missiles or Gypsy's plasma cannon. Similar big weapons were featured on the promotional art for Cherno (those two doors on it shoulders were supposed to be giant flamethrowers) and Typhoon (one of its arms could reconfigure into a rail gun). I'm guessing the monsters are supposed to be too agile to use the big weapon right away.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Cherno Alpha getting chumped was a gigantic missed opportunity and I'm sore as hell about it. Still.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Cherno Alpha getting chumped was a gigantic missed opportunity and I'm sore as hell about it. Still.

I liked PR1 but it would have been cooler to have had Cherno go nuclear in death and at least take one of them out. There should have been a third Kaiju for imposing odds making their deaths more worthy, then leave two for Striker and Gypsy.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Or they could build a bunch of snowspeeders with harpoon cables.....

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Seriously did none of you watch Spartacus? I'm bummed that Del Toro is gone but DeKnight fuckin' owns like hell so I'm hype regardless

Nope!

And if he doesn't put that theme in the movie, he ain't poo poo!!!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

PR1 was the third film in a trilogy that should've existed.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

PR1 was the third film in a trilogy that should've existed.

Really, this is the rare situation when a prequel would have been entirely appropriate. They have this great backstory with the kaiju appearing and threatening civilization, us fighting back with the jaeger program and then being driven back in turn by a kaiju resurgence. The first movie is the final movement, the last-ditch effort to risk everything or be annihilated.

And a prequel would've let us have more Idris Elba.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'd be neat if the next one they fight people with Jaegar\kaiju hybrid monsters

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I already said it, but this one will have all the half kaiju brain Jaegers turn evil and be the "uprising". We're gonna Evangelion this poo poo. Also, what the gently caress Evangelion is so ubiquitous my phone autofill suggested it ahead if evangelical.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I'm looking forward to that and more the independence day aliens who made the kaiju. Maybe we'll even get a dude or chick to drift with a kaiju while it's alive and make it turn good.

Also if the feminine jaeger has boob missile that'd be awesome.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Its been said in other threads about PR 1, but we really needed another Kaiju attack to break up that long character building slog. Then we could show Crimson and Cherno kicking some rear end, showing how badass they are so when they get chumped we know the stakes have been heightened.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rough Lobster posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's heavily implied that the Kaiju are physically altered, possibly mind controlled Frankensteined living weapons almost as artificial as the Jaegers, would be fun to have a 'wild' Kaiju escape to Earth and fight with both.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm kind of surprised to see people giving Athena poo poo for having a feminine design, because it's the only one of the bunch that looks halfway interesting.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Seriously did none of you watch Spartacus? I'm bummed that Del Toro is gone but DeKnight fuckin' owns like hell so I'm hype regardless

For real.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Also I guess I'll have to re-watch Spartacus. I remember liking it, but don't recall anything past him being in the sewer fights with Leatherface.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

McSpanky posted:

Really, this is the rare situation when a prequel would have been entirely appropriate. They have this great backstory with the kaiju appearing and threatening civilization, us fighting back with the jaeger program and then being driven back in turn by a kaiju resurgence. The first movie is the final movement, the last-ditch effort to risk everything or be annihilated.

And a prequel would've let us have more Idris Elba.

Hell, Cherno Alpha was even stated to be the last of the Mark One mechs, meaning it's been around and fighting from the very beginning of the war. Appropriate, perhaps, that an old warhorse like that wouldn't fare well against the biggest Category Fours in history, but there's a great story there that could be told.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rough Lobster posted:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Cythereal posted:

Hell, Cherno Alpha was even stated to be the last of the Mark One mechs, meaning it's been around and fighting from the very beginning of the war. Appropriate, perhaps, that an old warhorse like that wouldn't fare well against the biggest Category Fours in history, but there's a great story there that could be told.

Everything about Cherno's design was awesome, including the drift suits. The tank crew look makes me want to think the cockpit is just one hollowed-out T-34.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Drunken Baker posted:

Also I guess I'll have to re-watch Spartacus. I remember liking it, but don't recall anything past him being in the sewer fights with Leatherface.

That was the third episode so yeah you forgot most of the series

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

tribbledirigible posted:

Everything about Cherno's design was awesome, including the drift suits. The tank crew look makes me want to think the cockpit is just one hollowed-out T-34.

The first glimpses of the PR1 mechs were so much better than these in general.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

For me, the new designs are just a bit too humanlike. In PR1 the Jägers were still generally humanoid, but also very obviously artificial machines. It's most obvious with Cherno Alpha, which basically just a walking tank/reactor, but it's also visible for some other designs. Crimson Typhoon had those three arms and a very robotic head, Striker Eureka had the broad chest, wings, and shoulders that kind of suggested an airplane, and even the otherwise very humanlike Gipsy Danger had those armoured cowls breaking up the silhouette.

By comparison, the new ones all seem very much "huge armoured human", rather than "mechanical war machine". The only one that seems to somewhat break that trend seems to be Bracer Phoenix with the low-set head, unusually broad shoulders, and whatever that gunnery pod is supposed to be. Though I still have some hope that it might be partially an effect of the blueprint-style that obscures most of the details, and that things might look better once you can actually see all the assorted bits and bobs.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The whole philosophy behind the Jaegers and Kaijus was that they were to move and look like they're supposed to be human beings in big rubbery suits, which worked pretty well in PR1 but they're overdoing it here

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I just watched Pacific Rim for the first time and thought it was really weird the way the monsters were treated. Like, Newt is capable of understanding their thoughts but is completely unsympathetic to the fact that a baby monster just died right in front of him? And that the movie ends with everybody celebrating genocide? I thought he would have been somewhat remorseful or something. Maybe the sequel will pick up on all that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

This is actually SMG's interpretation of the movie, it's that it's the film is fascist because it's basically everyone uniting to kick the poo poo out of this Other.

That's a valid reading. I read the monsters as something akin to climate change, so it doesn't bother me. They are pure destruction from an alien world (and in fact are even shown racked up in an ammo-belt like mechanism to be "fired" at the Earth).

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

This is actually SMG's interpretation of the movie, it's that it's the film is fascist because it's basically everyone uniting to kick the poo poo out of this Other.

That's a valid reading. I read the monsters as something akin to climate change, so it doesn't bother me. They are pure destruction from an alien world (and in fact are even shown racked up in an ammo-belt like mechanism to be "fired" at the Earth).

In Pakistan and poor regions the families have so many kids that if they are starved for food they will essentially "sell" a kid to someone and that person may be a fanatic and send them into crowded areas with a bomb to blow up unbelievers as an act of God. It's sad. So is the Kaiju situation.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I just watched Pacific Rim for the first time and thought it was really weird the way the monsters were treated. Like, Newt is capable of understanding their thoughts but is completely unsympathetic to the fact that a baby monster just died right in front of him? And that the movie ends with everybody celebrating genocide? I thought he would have been somewhat remorseful or something. Maybe the sequel will pick up on all that.

"Man I was almost sorry that baby kaiju died but then I remembered that they have poison blood and poo poo and exist only to lay waste to my people and now I'm pretty ok with it not growing up."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gatts posted:

In Pakistan and poor regions the families have so many kids that if they are starved for food they will essentially "sell" a kid to someone and that person may be a fanatic and send them into crowded areas with a bomb to blow up unbelievers as an act of God. It's sad. So is the Kaiju situation.

The big issue here is that kaiju have no pathos. They are forces of destruction that express no emotions and seem to obey nothing more beyond a primal directive to destroy. The movie chooses to make them nothing more than living weapons so I don't think comparing them to exploited kids is earned.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The big issue here is that kaiju have no pathos. They are forces of destruction that express no emotions and seem to obey nothing more beyond a primal directive to destroy. The movie chooses to make them nothing more than living weapons so I don't think comparing them to exploited kids is earned.

Indeed, comparing them to nothing human is earned and their alien masters only in the most broadly reductive strokes, which is why SMG's reading was both incredibly facile and a trolling masterstroke.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

They totally do, though. Del Toro wasn't such a bad director that he forgot to give his monsters any personality, and in particular the struggles of the strangled baby and careful, gentle probing of those glowing tendrils or whatever that were seeking Charlie Day's character out for sure communicated more than mindless, zombielike rampaging.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ferrinus posted:

They totally do, though. Del Toro wasn't such a bad director that he forgot to give his monsters any personality, and in particular the struggles of the strangled baby and careful, gentle probing of those glowing tendrils or whatever that were seeking Charlie Day's character out for sure communicated more than mindless, zombielike rampaging.

The struggle s of the baby we're primarily "loving kill Charlie , loving kill everyone in my way, kill kill kill kill *choke to death*" and the Kaiju sending out glowing tendrils communicated "are you in there? I gotta make sure I killed you. Oh hey there you are, a whole lot of other people killed horrificaly but you're still alive, gonna loving kill you."

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 29, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

MariusLecter posted:

The struggle s of the baby we're primarily "loving kill Charlie , loving kill everyone in my way, kill kill kill kill *choke to death*" and the Kaiju sending out glowing tendrils communicated "are you in there? I gotta make sure I killed you. Oh hey there you are, a whole lot of other people killed horrificaly but you're still alive, gonna loving kill you."
This dialogue you've made up sounds like a post facto justification for merciless execution to me. Pay no attention to anything you're seeing! It's really just thinking the word kill over and over again!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

That seems true of, say, zombies in Day of the Dead but you'd be way off in saying their attributes don't reflect ideas about people. I didn't read SMG's posts but I would say PR is definitely a fascist fantasy BECAUSE of what you describe. Like an unsubverted zombie narrative, it goes to great lengths to assure you that the aliens are totally mindless, for sure, purely evil, definitely, incapable of communication or peace, without doubt, and ok to kill. The very desire to have this fantasy of a target for purely righteous, uncomplicated violence is the (a) root of fascism and imperialism.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

DeimosRising posted:

That seems true of, say, zombies in Day of the Dead but you'd be way off in saying their attributes don't reflect ideas about people. I didn't read SMG's posts but I would say PR is definitely a fascist fantasy BECAUSE of what you describe. Like an unsubverted zombie narrative, it goes to great lengths to assure you that the aliens are totally mindless, for sure, purely evil, definitely, incapable of communication or peace, without doubt, and ok to kill. The very desire to have this fantasy of a target for purely righteous, uncomplicated violence is the (a) root of fascism and imperialism.

I feel like there is leagues difference between a zombie (human sized, human shaped, was formerly human, mills about passively until engaged) and a Kaiju (huge rear end monstrous thing, may have wings, eyestalks, multiple mouths, crawls out of a rift and heads straight for population centers and starts wrecking poo poo.)

edit: I want to point out that it's entirely possible to make a movie where the Kaiju have emotions, an inner life, culture, etc and you could make the "fascism" argument to me much more convincingly. The movie just doesn't do that. Kaiju have poison blood and go AAAAARGH! and try to crush things. People sell their body parts as medicine and make temples from their bones. They are coded as animals. You could replace them with giant rabid wolves and the movie would be exactly the same (except for the flying and deep sea environment stuff - it would have to take place on land).

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 29, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The kaiju are bio-terminators, if we can capture one and program it to feel and know now why people cry, that'd be a different story. As it is they are the imperialist drones of a extra dimensional empire sent to exterminate us to make it easier to colonize and take resources. You're seriously demonizing a resistance force because "hey they shouldn't be fighting back, don't they know, ALL lives matter."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The argument is that they decided to write the enemy as this ultimate hostile Other, unworthy of compassion yet parallel to those they invade, and use that status to concoct a fantasy of extremely justified violence. I didn't find it a very convincing condemnation.

To me, it's that the aliens are a lot like humans taken to an extreme degree. Jaegers and kaiju are basically the same, custom-designed giants with two brains and elaborate weaponry that fight by going on suicide missions into another dimension. The idea of altering the climate of a planet and depleting it of all its resources tie into the environmental undertones. Humans are strong because of their unity? Well, the aliens are an entire species who are all permanently drifting together. If there were a twist that the invaders are the descendants of humans from an unimaginably distant future, I think it would feel earned.

It has those who fight monsters becoming like monsters and it has them staring into an abyss that eventually stares back.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I feel like there is leagues difference between a zombie (human sized, human shaped, was formerly human, mills about passively until engaged) and a Kaiju (huge rear end monstrous thing, may have wings, eyestalks, multiple mouths, crawls out of a rift and heads straight for population centers and starts wrecking poo poo.)

edit: I want to point out that it's entirely possible to make a movie where the Kaiju have emotions, an inner life, culture, etc and you could make the "fascism" argument to me much more convincingly. The movie just doesn't do that. Kaiju have poison blood and go AAAAARGH! and try to crush things. People sell their body parts as medicine and make temples from their bones. They are coded as animals. You could replace them with giant rabid wolves and the movie would be exactly the same (except for the flying and deep sea environment stuff - it would have to take place on land).

If you did that stuff it WOULDN'T be a fascist fantasy. It would be Starship Troopers. "It's afraid of us"

Giving the enemy feelings and complex characterization and potentially justifiable or even explicable motives is the opposite of the fascist narrative MO. The Jews/foreigners/niggers/Chinese/whatever are almost always characterized as animals, subhuman, pitiless and unreasoning and destructive, simultaneously pathetic and inferior yet threatening and virile

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The.extra dimenaional aliens explicable motive is imperialism. Their kaiju drones are neither pathetic nor inferior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Only in CineD would "fight the extradimensional monsters trying to kill us all" be a controversial statement.

The more woke than thou games are worse than in E/N.

• Locked thread