Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Miftan posted:

This is the best way I've heard it put. That stuff is vile.

I used to absolutely love it, in all of its horridness. But a month or two back for some reason my body reacted weirdly to it, and I literally stank of fake butter for three days after- my sweat smelled like cinema popcorn. loving grim. Haven't had it since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

maybe you just washed and started noticing it?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Is there some context to the whole anti-semitic Sunday Times article story that I don't understand? Because the writer issued an apology, but then I read this:

quote:

However, an Irish Jewish leader has defended Mr Myers.
Maurice Cohen, from the Jewish Representative Council of Ireland, said Mr Myers "inadvertently stumbled into an anti-Semitic trope".
"More than any other Irish journalist he has written columns about details of the Holocaust over the last three decades that would not otherwise have been known by a substantial Irish audience," he said.
"Yes, Kevin ought to have known that his bringing the religion of the two BBC presenters into his writings on Sunday would cause concern and upset and that it was both unnecessary and bound to be misunderstood.
"But the larger picture is that Kevin, who up until now was a respected columnist, has a particular curmudgeonly, cranky, idiosyncratic style. We, who have been reading Kevin's work over many years and those who know him personally, know that while this was a real error of judgement on his part, also know that he is not an anti-Semite."

Did I just imagine seeing that he also wrote an article denying the Holocaust? Was that just a hoax or something (the article, not the Holocaust)? Was it written by someone with the same name or something? It seems insane that a Jewish leader would say this about someone who wrote that article, but he even mentions that he's written extensively on the Holocaust!

There must be something here I'm not getting.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

He has a Jewish friend that says he can use the k word

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jedit posted:

Older people are quite happy to lose the jobs they already retired from. They've already earned all they're going to earn and live off the promises given while they were working. They are more likely to own their homes and less likely to have debt.

In short, they are not in any way invested in the economy they are happy to wreck.
Well, apart from their pension funds

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Dan Hodges is currently arguing with actual Jewish people about what constitutes antisemitism and how Labour is a bigger threat than the right while pretending not to understand the connection between his writing for The Daily Mail, the owners of the Daily Mail supporting fascism and people doubting his sincerity on combating antisemitism.

They've gone from "criticism of Israel is antisemitism" to "only criticism of Israel is antisemitism"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

As the resident Jew I absolve you all of your antisemitic sins and grant your antisemitic immunity. Go forth and argue with Dan Hodges about what an rear end in a top hat he is.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Comrade Fakename posted:

Is there some context to the whole anti-semitic Sunday Times article story that I don't understand? Because the writer issued an apology, but then I read this:

Did I just imagine seeing that he also wrote an article denying the Holocaust? Was that just a hoax or something (the article, not the Holocaust)? Was it written by someone with the same name or something? It seems insane that a Jewish leader would say this about someone who wrote that article, but he even mentions that he's written extensively on the Holocaust!

No, Kevin Myers is an absolute oval office, he's basically a more old-school Katie Hopkins or something, and you shouldn't buy newspapers that publish his hateful idiocy.

A neat summation here

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-kevin-myers-broke-the-only-rule-that-matters-1.3172618?mode=amp

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

WeAreTheRomans posted:

you shouldn't buy newspapers

Wisdom.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

Kevin Myers is a colossal prick. The Holocaust article that was pulled was an idiotic defence of "free speech" in which set up so he can attack Muslims:

quote:

there certainly was no holocaust. For if the word is to have any literal validity at all, it must be related to its actual meaning, which comes from the Greek words holos, 'whole', and caust, ‘fire'. Most Jewish victims of the Third Reich were not burnt in the ovens in Auschwitz. They were shot by the hundreds of thousands in the Lebensraum of the east, or were worked or starved to death in a hundred other camps, across the Reich.

This programme was begun informally by Nazi armies in 1941, and only took organised form after the Wannsee conference in January 1942. Thus was born one of the most satanic operations in world history, in which millions of Jews were murdered. To be sure, you can use the term holocaust to describe these events, but only as a metaphor.

However, to turn that metaphor into a political dogma, a denial of which can result in imprisonment, is to create a religio-penal code of which Torquemada would have approved.

Now, I've done an extensive internet search on Bishop Williamson, and I truly have no idea what he actually said about the Third Reich; though he is everywhere called a ‘holocaust denier', as if this term has some universal meaning.

It hasn't. I'm a holocaust denier; but I also believe that the Nazis planned the extermination of the Jewish people, as far as their evil hands could reach. And because the Nazis lost, the free-speech party won. So, this means that the bishop can believe, and even publicly state, if he wants, that Auschwitz was an ice-cream parlour and the SS was a dance troupe.

That is the nature of free speech. Any one of us should be able to declare any old counter-factual and even offensive nonsense, without being sent to jail, provided we preach hatred for no one. It's a free and equal world.

Or is it?

Across Europe, there are countless Islamic madrasahs, in which imams regularly preach hatred for Jews, and where the holocaust is routinely denied. Which member-state of the EU will pursue such conveyors of hate, or seek the extradition of an imam who says that the holocaust was a Zionist hoax? None of them. We know this. For the EU has tolerated the creation of an informal historiographical apartheid. So, on the one hand, a single, eccentric (and possibly deranged) Christian bishop may be hounded for his demented historical beliefs: but on the other, there is a deafening silence over the widespread and virulent distortion of the ‘holocaust' by Islamic preachers.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Haha words only mean what their etymological roots mean and furthermore Christian bishops are far more persecuted than Muslims.

It's honestly shocking that a writer can be that ignorant of language of all things.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Wow that's the stupidest poo poo.

You see, "holo caust" literally means one specific thing and that thing didn't happen! Of course, by the metaphorical meaning that every other person in the world uses it did happen, but by my special definition it didn't. So holocaust deniers are right, if they're not Muslim.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There is a legitimate etymological argument as to whether the Holocaust refers 'only the Nazi plan to exterminate Jews' or 'the overall atrocity to exterminate Jews, trade unionists, LGBT people, Roma, communists, alcoholics and drug addicts that weren't Hitler himself, some Slavs, artists they didn't like, etc.'

That is not the argument he is making though.

Camrath posted:

I used to absolutely love it, in all of its horridness. But a month or two back for some reason my body reacted weirdly to it, and I literally stank of fake butter for three days after- my sweat smelled like cinema popcorn. loving grim. Haven't had it since.
Papa John's is literally bata-kusai.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pedantic English language arguments are hilarious because it's already linguistic Calvinball

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah but in the case of atrocities it's often used to marginalize whoever you don't want to talk about. "The Holocaust was the systematic murder of 6 million Jews" can either mean "there's a reason why antisemitism is different to religious criticism" or code for "stop talking about your gay commie poo poo, this is our thing" depending on who is saying it to who and why.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

Cultural Marxist posted:

Oh man, I joke, but that's exactly what HMG are going to do isn't it? They know they can't ban encryption, so they're going to ask companies to make all their encrypted products difficult and/or unattractive to use. 'sake.

I never get this style of thinking. Because what's to stop people just straight up building their own solution free from Government Meddling? Or just using an open source solution such as Signal Messenger? (Who's encryption protocol is the one powering WhatsApp anyway and being open source is constantly monitored by 'experts' that'd raise large red flags if a backdoor was installed.)
Plus, its been known for a while that the security services will just take over the entire phone and read the messages (and have the ability to do so anyway.)

The 'debate' about encryption boils down to a bunch of people who have no idea what they're talking about going "BUT WE WANT TO READ THE MESSAGES..."

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Myers also once cause a ruckus by insisting on calling the children of unmarried mothers "bastards" cause that's the correct word in the dictionary wot

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Again a giant colossal smug prick

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

kustomkarkommando posted:

Myers also once cause a ruckus by insisting on calling the children of unmarried mothers "bastards" cause that's the correct word in the dictionary wot

Myers is Pissflaps and I claim my £5.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm a whisky denier. Yes, I'll drink the drink made in Scotland by distilling malted grain mash, but you see the Gaelic uisge-beatha literally means water of life and that I don't drink. Except I do drink water, which I need to live.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Miftan posted:

Myers is Pissflaps and I claim my £5.

I wish all Pissflaps' posts were deleted and he was made to make a formal apology.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

ukle posted:

While the whole wanting the talks to be 'encrypted' is laughable, it also has no chance in hell of happening as Google, Facebook, etc have a history of making these kind of discussions be as publicly known about as they legally can get away with. So unless the government is going to impose some form of national security legislation on the talks then the tech companies will be releasing every last detail as its in their own financial interest to do so.

HMG are basically just saying whatever they think will sound most impressive/authoritarian to a non-technical audience, knowing that said audience will never read about the actual discussions with Google, Apple, Facebook et al because, well, they're a non-technical audience. HMG gets to be seen to be doing something, even it it later turns out away from the cameras that "something" is actually nothing, or indeed the opposite of what you thought it would be. gently caress you and your ideas proles.

Venmoch posted:

I never get this style of thinking. Because what's to stop people just straight up building their own solution free from Government Meddling? Or just using an open source solution such as Signal Messenger? (Who's encryption protocol is the one powering WhatsApp anyway and being open source is constantly monitored by 'experts' that'd raise large red flags if a backdoor was installed.)
Plus, its been known for a while that the security services will just take over the entire phone and read the messages (and have the ability to do so anyway.)

The 'debate' about encryption boils down to a bunch of people who have no idea what they're talking about going "BUT WE WANT TO READ THE MESSAGES..."

Well quite. It's security theatre at its finest, but where "finest" actually means "most stupid". They do this knowing that >95% of people will fall for the idea that the Government is being tough on terrorism because they saw it in the paper.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Dan Hodges is currently arguing with actual Jewish people about what constitutes antisemitism and how Labour is a bigger threat than the right while pretending not to understand the connection between his writing for The Daily Mail, the owners of the Daily Mail supporting fascism and people doubting his sincerity on combating antisemitism. being Dan Hodges.

ftfy

e: is Hodges still rocking the ((( ))) while arguing with actual Jewish people about antisemitism? Because loving lol if he is.

Cultural Marxist fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 1, 2017

FishHead
Nov 3, 2004

I've left Coventry now & relocated to Edinburgh Central to complete my transformation into a bourgie hipster arsehole.

Can you remove me from the OP please Guavanaut?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

I'm a whisky denier. Yes, I'll drink the drink made in Scotland by distilling malted grain mash, but you see the Gaelic uisge-beatha literally means water of life and that I don't drink. Except I do drink water, which I need to live.
Whisky is Gaelic for vodka.

FishHead posted:

I've left Coventry now & relocated to Edinburgh Central to complete my transformation into a bourgie hipster arsehole.

Done. Congrats on escaping Coventry.

Cultural Marxist posted:

HMG are basically just saying whatever they think will sound most impressive/authoritarian to a non-technical audience, knowing that said audience will never read about the actual discussions with Google, Apple, Facebook et al because, well, they're a non-technical audience. HMG gets to be seen to be doing something, even it it later turns out away from the cameras that "something" is actually nothing, or indeed the opposite of what you thought it would be. gently caress you and your ideas proles.
Like how the PSA makes some drug prosecutions harder. Maybe they'll end up mandating strong encryption by accident. The US attempt certainly mainstreamed it for consumer messaging.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Older people are quite happy to lose the jobs they already retired from. They've already earned all they're going to earn and live off the promises given while they were working. They are more likely to own their homes and less likely to have debt.

In short, they are not in any way invested in the economy they are happy to wreck.

They'll care when they're used as fuel.

I think a lot of the votes are down to stupidity. They don't understand what the economy is. It's a word they hear on the news. They know it's better when the news says "the economy is up 0.01%" but they don't know why or how it affects them. Unfortunately it's yet another case where they will only understand when it hits them personally. By which point it's too late. There's only one pragmatic thing we can do. Make sure the fuckers know it's their fault. Hound them to their graves.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Cultural Marxist posted:

ftfy

e: is Hodges still rocking the ((( ))) while arguing with actual Jewish people about antisemitism? Because loving lol if he is.

I've yet to see a person with the brackets that wasn't conflating Israel and Judaism so of course he still has it.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Pochoclo posted:

Since we're talking towns and poo poo, any goons live in one of them towns less than an hour away from London where you can get a freehold small house for less than £200k and are safe/not poo poo? I'm thinking about getting a mortgage if Brexit doesn't make the country implode, and though I work (and currently live) in London, lol at buying property here.

From last thread, but I found these websites helpful when I was looking:

https://www.locrating.com/ - search by school catchment area, good if you have kids
https://www.locrating.com/commutingmap.aspx - the old version of locrating, which searches by train journey time
https://www.zoopla.co.uk/travel-time/ - another way to search by travel time to a place, good for finding everywhere within an hour of your office if you drive/cycle/etc.

I lived in Andover, which is about an hour from London. It's ... OK, I guess. There are all the standard things you want in a boring commuter town (cinema, supermarkets, out of town retail, etc.) and it has (or had, I haven't checked) a hospital with a proper A&E. The centre is dull but not too rough or run down. I wouldn't expect any arts or culture, but you get what you pay for in some ways.

Sine I've lived there it's had about a third of Hampshire's new build housing added (not an exaggeration, the place more than doubled in size in 5 years) so who knows what it's like now. As a rule of thumb it gets nicer the further west you go (i.e. closer to the station).

£200K worth of freehold house:
https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/44290517 - 2 bed near the station in one of the old estates
https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/43157469 - 4 bed on the (pre-expansion) eastern edge of town

Don't live in the King Arthurs estate and you should be safe enough There's the odd shouty drunk and we got our fence kicked in a few times over the years, but that's not too bad (and again, £200k within an hour of London).

sebzilla posted:

Thirding the Ecotricity recommendation. Dale Vince is an alright guy and owns the local football team (about to play their first ever League game this weekend, thanks Dale!)

My parents used to work for him and yeah, he seems OK. My mum holds a grudge because he used to keep hiring his nephews to management and they were all worthless, but I think it's a bit more professional these days. He also needs to stop buying nice old buildings and ruining them with his terrible lack of taste.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Wolfsbane posted:

He also needs to stop buying nice old buildings and ruining them with his terrible lack of taste.

Didn't he buy Tricorn House, voted the ugliest building in the South West of England (being about 20 miles North East of Bristol)?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

The one I know about is an old stone building overlooking Stroud that he put a stupid loving turret on (or something, I forget the details). Ecotricity owns most of the centre of Stroud these days, so there are probably other examples.

e: Apparently no-one knows what the gently caress is going on at Tricorn House.

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 1, 2017

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Cerv posted:

Well, apart from their pension funds
To the extent any of them have private pensions they will mostly be defined-benefit schemes so they don't care what the economy at large does, their companies have to pay them no matter what happens. It's only whiny entitled millennials who have the lovely defined-contribution schemes where your fund can get destroyed whenever the markets have a hiccup.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I know it's US news, but it's the sort of thing that's so insane that it can impact us.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/892344574680616960

That's a senior Republican Senator saying "cool, Donald Trump has said he's willing to take war to North Korea and I think that's good".

Can UKMT scrape our pennies together and buy a bomb shelter? That wouldn't be a horrible nightmare worse than dying during the post-bomb famine period.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The most certain way to make a bomb shelter that's better than the post-bomb famine period is to not have any air holes.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
North Korea don't actually have nukes or reliable delivery systems, correct? If America want to get themselves nuked we should encourage this.

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Camrath posted:

Ever smelled rabbit piss? Exact same smell.

Their pizza is still the best though.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

FishHead posted:

Welcome!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Peanut Butter posted:

Ever smelled rabbit piss? Exact same smell.

I try not to kink shame, but unsure if this is going too far.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Zephro posted:

To the extent any of them have private pensions they will mostly be defined-benefit schemes so they don't care what the economy at large does, their companies have to pay them no matter what happens. It's only whiny entitled millennials who have the lovely defined-contribution schemes where your fund can get destroyed whenever the markets have a hiccup.

Private pensions go insolvent when markets have a hiccup, too. The fund has to make the money from somewhere - there's no magical means by which merely promising to do something allows oneself to do it.

In fact the defined-benefit private pension offers not one, but two ways out of the burden retired cohorts - the company can wind itself up and therefore default on the fund, or the company can wind the fund up as insolvent. And if liquidating the company for its assets would yield even less for the fund than a mere structured default, then the company doesn't even have to wind up to kill the pension fund.

FishHead
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks bud! My partner got a job in a tattoo studio here and I know next to no-one. Going to enjoy my first fringe as a resident and get searching for a job.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

FishHead posted:

Thanks bud! My partner got a job in a tattoo studio here and I know next to no-one. Going to enjoy my first fringe as a resident and get searching for a job.

Well if you like to drink beer and rant about Tories then shoot me a PM sometime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

FishHead posted:

I believe the proper way to enjoy the Fringe as a resident is to grumble about all the loving tourists, why won't they just go away? It's either that or leasing out your flat for a month to budding comics for insane amounts & loving off abroad with the proceeds. Either or.

(Go see my friend Tony's show at the Pleasance Courtyard, 11pm, 2-28th August)

• Locked thread