Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

September.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNoV_kSe7Dk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anybody know where I can find the amendments Dr. Doom made to the constitution when he was President in Doom 2099?

I think it was only in the graphic novel, not the individual issues, so it's hard to find online.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Does anybody know where I can find the amendments Dr. Doom made to the constitution when he was President in Doom 2099?

I think it was only in the graphic novel, not the individual issues, so it's hard to find online.

Do you mean this?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes, thank you!

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
And to think, 616-Doom only wanted a cabinet position.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
drat. Someone had a lot of fun writing that.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
That's a trade that seems worth picking up.

His drug policy is very progressive.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Jack Kirby would like the part about freelancers.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
"Triumph of our Will"

Yipe.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Jack Kirby would like the part about freelancers.

It makes sense he'd be a model of autocratic democracy. He's the King after all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

joehonkie posted:

"Triumph of our Will"

Yipe.

Don't forget that he's the bad guy.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lurdiak posted:

Don't forget that he's the bad guy.

Oh, I know. That's just a pretty specific dig.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Stronger anti-discrimination protections than we currently have, at least in regards to labor, including protection for whistleblowers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do action movie trailers have cold opens now? Like, they'll do a condensed version of the trailer then run the trailer itself which has the same footage? I was watching the trailer for The Foreigner and it had one of them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Do action movie trailers have cold opens now? Like, they'll do a condensed version of the trailer then run the trailer itself which has the same footage? I was watching the trailer for The Foreigner and it had one of them.

It started so you won't hit the skip button after 15 seconds when it plays as an ad on youtube, I think it's still mostly limited to online versions of the trailer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it just becomes the style and trailers start to look like that in theaters too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, they run a short version of the trailer before the actual trailer so that people see it before they close the window / skip the video.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skwirl posted:

Stronger anti-discrimination protections than we currently have, at least in regards to labor, including protection for whistleblowers.

Sure, he seems like a great leader, until he starts making skin-armor and stealing the family of his nemesis.

TenCentFang fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 6, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Free college, free healthcare, maximum wage, Doom is better than the Democrats on a lot of topics.

Sure, the thing where you lose citizenship for being homeless isn't great, but let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
He also has zero tolerance for pollution. Froze Hellrock Island in adamantium (Ravage 2099 included) and shot it into space, then killed all the polluting CEOs.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Doom 2099 was one of the first Warren Ellis projects (followed quickly by the Authority, and Mek, and then half of the other things he's written) where I realized that his sort of edgy rebellious "the world is full of bastards, everyone's a bastard, there are no good guys only hard bastards willing to outbastard the worst bastards to achieve a level of bastardness just a tiny bit less bastardy than the real bad bastards, and maybe they're the heroes our bastard world bastarding needs, you bastards" dovetails really easily into believing autocratic fascism is pretty awesome so long as it's a cool dude doing it. I'm pretty sure Doom 2099 isn't actually supposed to be the bad guy, and I am 110% convinced that the Authority are the heroes of Ellis's run, no matter how much puppet-master defense he's done since the book came out and started getting critical readings.

In the actual Doom 2009 comic, Doom's coup was violent and his rule was harsh, but Ellis kept showing him materially improving the lives of citizens, and the (((globalist))) corporations he wrested America free from were run by literal alien vampires. When he finally got overthrown, it wasn't by Spider-Man or the X-Men or any sort of heroes, but by a genocidal (possibly alien) financier named Herod who slaughtered millions to depose Doom and put a barely lucid, drug addicted, animal-torturing, jerking-off-into-the-American-flag clone of Captain America in as a puppet president as part of his plan to stripmine the planet, work all humans to death, and then fly off into the stars.

When those are the alternatives to Doom ruling with an iron fist, how is he supposed to be seen as the bad guy?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A Strange Aeon posted:

That's a trade that seems worth picking up.

His drug policy is very progressive.

I don't know about a trade, but those pages are from this: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=90541

It can currently be yours for $2.40 plus shipping.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

Doom 2099 was one of the first Warren Ellis projects (followed quickly by the Authority, and Mek, and then half of the other things he's written) where I realized that his sort of edgy rebellious "the world is full of bastards, everyone's a bastard, there are no good guys only hard bastards willing to outbastard the worst bastards to achieve a level of bastardness just a tiny bit less bastardy than the real bad bastards, and maybe they're the heroes our bastard world bastarding needs, you bastards" dovetails really easily into believing autocratic fascism is pretty awesome so long as it's a cool dude doing it. I'm pretty sure Doom 2099 isn't actually supposed to be the bad guy, and I am 110% convinced that the Authority are the heroes of Ellis's run, no matter how much puppet-master defense he's done since the book came out and started getting critical readings.

In the actual Doom 2009 comic, Doom's coup was violent and his rule was harsh, but Ellis kept showing him materially improving the lives of citizens, and the (((globalist))) corporations he wrested America free from were run by literal alien vampires. When he finally got overthrown, it wasn't by Spider-Man or the X-Men or any sort of heroes, but by a genocidal (possibly alien) financier named Herod who slaughtered millions to depose Doom and put a barely lucid, drug addicted, animal-torturing, jerking-off-into-the-American-flag clone of Captain America in as a puppet president as part of his plan to stripmine the planet, work all humans to death, and then fly off into the stars.

When those are the alternatives to Doom ruling with an iron fist, how is he supposed to be seen as the bad guy?

Well here's what Warren had to say about the story in the same book.

EDIT: Goddammit I mean to add this to the last post, not double post.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone wants a strongman on top who gets things done - it's certainly has much wider appeal than democracy - but they want it to be their strongman who gets their things done. I think Doom has been a reflection of that for many years.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I was looking for something on the Internet relating to Bendis and I stumbled across the reality that there seems to be many right wing blogs devoted to shiting on Marvel and sucking off DC.

I'm not trying to poo poo on DC or inflate Marvel, but there was a lot of these blogs that were just doing that. They tried to hide it through fancy terms, but it's pretty obvious that the entire Point these blogs was to poo poo on Marvel for having non-white, non-het characters. Like, they constantly complained about how they get called racist, but their main argument against most comics was that they promote civil rights. I mean, they used a different term for it, but that's what that term means.

They seem to just loving applaud that secret Empire has damaged Marvel sales but claimed it has more to do with diversity and non-whites, non-het characters.

At the same time, they seem to just love DC and applaud DC over and over. However, this might be short-lived because DC's doing a roll out of new Heroes they're calling the new age of Heroes and they seem very mad about it.

Those Heroes mostly feature minority characters so yeah. Further proof their claims of why they love DC's so much doesn't have so much to do with their quality since they seem mad and saying this might be the end of DC and another new 52 when they suddenly want to do minority characters.

It goes even further. They encourage their fans to attack writers on Twitter and make YouTube videos about how those writers are terrible people. They just seem to want to make the lives of comic artists and creators terrible until they relent and destroy characters because they don't like the fact that non-white people and not-het people are now allowed to be superheroes.

Frankly, this is hosed up.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm not saying that DC is bad and that Marvel's great. But, it seems these guys really want create this narrative that Marvel is failing due to diversity and that DC's amazing because it did not doing that.

Looking back on it, I think I now know where that weirdo I once talked to in a gameshop got all those talking points now. Because he loved those talking points, but, when I pointed out that they made no sense when you consider how Comics have always worked, he had no idea and had no idea how to follow up.

Like, he really did not know that Heroes stepping down so someone else can take the title is something that's been happening since the twenties and predates Superman. But, he sure love to get mad about the new characters and claimed they were a new phenomenon with no prior basis and were terrible and bad.

Edit Edit: also, I'm not saying all the new characters are great and that we should all like them or else. But, it certainly seems that this group has a particular agenda about them and really wants to act as if making new characters is some kind of new phenomenon and affront to the older characters.

I mean, gently caress, I was reading old comics recently and, in the last page, they advertise like a thousand superheroes who didn't take off like Spider-Girl (not mc-2). It amazes me that people seem to be bringing politics into it when throwing a bunch of characters at the wall and seeing what sticks is what Comics have always done.

Zoro fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 6, 2017

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Everyone wants a strongman on top who gets things done - it's certainly has much wider appeal than democracy - but they want it to be their strongman who gets their things done. I think Doom has been a reflection of that for many years.

The same basic principle is the foundation of superheroes in general, who started out as vigilantes and became one man world problem solvers. I really don't like the gross cynicism inherent to a lot of "dark" stories, but even the normal stuff it's like, there's a point where you gotta ignore the possible fascist undertones.

That does not at all apply to Doom 2099, of course, because the fascist undertones are literally the entire point, and I'm not reading those walls of text by Ellis because I don't care that much. I thought Secret Wars was a great presentation of "well, Doom finally rules the world, are you happy now? It sucks and he's evil".

Edge & Christian posted:

I am 110% convinced that the Authority are the heroes of Ellis's run, no matter how much puppet-master defense he's done since the book came out and started getting critical readings.

Wait, what? They aren't? I'm legitimately perplexed by this. I never got fascist-y vibes from it until they literally took over the USA, which I thought was well after Ellis.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TenCentFang posted:

The same basic principle is the foundation of superheroes in general, who started out as vigilantes and became one man world problem solvers. I really don't like the gross cynicism inherent to a lot of "dark" stories, but even the normal stuff it's like, there's a point where you gotta ignore the possible fascist undertones.

That does not at all apply to Doom 2099, of course, because the fascist undertones are literally the entire point, and I'm not reading those walls of text by Ellis because I don't care that much. I thought Secret Wars was a great presentation of "well, Doom finally rules the world, are you happy now? It sucks and he's evil".

I like Mark Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme because it's pretty good at portraying superheroes who become totalitarians but, for the most part, genuinely mean well when they take over the world. They do the whole Doc Savage thing where they reprogramme supervillains' minds to make them into productive citizens etc. The tipping point for people turning against them is when they declare that nobody will be allowed to die; instead, they will be put in stasis until such time as a cure for their illnesses can be found, then they're honestly perplexed at why people are protesting against it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

TenCentFang posted:

Wait, what? They aren't? I'm legitimately perplexed by this. I never got fascist-y vibes from it until they literally took over the USA, which I thought was well after Ellis.
Ellis has claimed after the fact that the Authority were "always meant to be the baddies" and that the whole thing was an "experiment" to see if so-called enlightened comic book readers would even notice that the book had fascist demigods unilaterally causing regime change and also if you think Kaizen Gammora is racist that was also a test and you passed, most fans aren't smart enough to realize Ellis was deliberately writing a racist caricature!

From a Slashdot interview:

quote:

Yes. The Yellow Peril characters - Fu Manchu, Wu Fang, etc - were disgusting. Part of the extended joke that was THE AUTHORITY was in seeing people really not react to Fu Manchu sending out thousands of his inscrutable Oriental menaces to divebomb major white world cities. (For those who need the cheat sheet, THE AUTHORITY was a twelve-episode superhero fiction series where the eponymous team fight Fu Manchu, Ming the Merciless and God (dressed up as Cthulhu).)

PLANETARY's intent was different. As the last half of the serial goes into publication, you'll see some examination of the underpinnings of these characters. In fact, you've already seen some questioning of the Oriental Genius type. I don't want to "exonerate" these characters from their pasts, or even exonerate those who created them. It's easy to say, well, it was a different time back then, of course they were racist. Or that, yeah, these archetypes exist in every culture. But while Tarzan is the "feral child" legend writ large, Fu Manchu is not the "evil genius". He is specifically the Evil Chinee. And that's something to be explored from many angles.
It's been awhile since I read Planetary, but the "back half" doesn't really feature the Fu Manchu style character at all, though it took Ellis like six years to get the last seven issues out, so maybe some of his deep explorations of race couldn't make it to the page.

I can't find any interviews where he's talking about the Authority in these same terms, but he was doing it a lot and while a lot of the unilateral violent actions the Authority perform in his volume *could* be read as kind of fascist in Ellis's run, much like Doom 2099 any nuanced exploration of our protagonists' actions and motives are kind of muddied when the antagonists alternately want to "scar the Earth in their image" with thousands of superpowered suicide bombers, turn the entire planet into a "rape camp", or eradicate all life.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh. Man, I never know what to think of Ellis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey do we hate Robert Kirkman?

Today's Walking Dead issue (171) has a limited order variant and that variant ALSO has a variant (pink artist sig and 7 pages from 172) which is exploding in value on ebay. It's the dumbest thing.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think he's kind of a douchbag based entirely off Invincible and TWD, does that count? I dunno if he works at soup kitchens every weekend to balance it out.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
I've only read the beginning of Invincible and the Marvel Team Up story that had Freedom Ring and the Iron Maniac, and what I picked from both of those is he's kind of sadistic and pessimistic to the point I won't read him.

Oh wait, I read half of his horrid Ant Man miniseries that had that horrible nihilistic rear end get the suit and I had to put it down because I really hate pure rear end in a top hat protagonists. It was just kinda nihilistic to me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like Robert Kirkman and Geoff Johns both spent their 20s playing too much Mortal Kombat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's no such thing as too much Mortal Kombat.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Hey do we hate Robert Kirkman?

Today's Walking Dead issue (171) has a limited order variant and that variant ALSO has a variant (pink artist sig and 7 pages from 172) which is exploding in value on ebay. It's the dumbest thing.

I wouldn’t say I’m a huge fan of him, I like some things he’s written, but I don’t really care about this particular thing at all. If people are dumb enough to pay more than cover price for a brand new comic regardless of the fact it’s got some special cover that’s on them not Kirkman. I feel in 2017 if you’re still buying comics on a speculation basis and playing that game you deserve whatever tricks are being played on you.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

I feel in 2017 if you’re still buying comics on a speculation basis and playing that game you deserve whatever tricks are being played on you.

Are you telling me my mint condition Scribblenauts themed variant covers aren't going to outsell Action Comics #1 in a few years!? :smith:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zoro posted:

I was looking for something on the Internet relating to Bendis and I stumbled across the reality that there seems to be many right wing blogs devoted to shiting on Marvel and sucking off DC.

I'm not trying to poo poo on DC or inflate Marvel, but there was a lot of these blogs that were just doing that. They tried to hide it through fancy terms, but it's pretty obvious that the entire Point these blogs was to poo poo on Marvel for having non-white, non-het characters. Like, they constantly complained about how they get called racist, but their main argument against most comics was that they promote civil rights. I mean, they used a different term for it, but that's what that term means.

They seem to just loving applaud that secret Empire has damaged Marvel sales but claimed it has more to do with diversity and non-whites, non-het characters.

At the same time, they seem to just love DC and applaud DC over and over. However, this might be short-lived because DC's doing a roll out of new Heroes they're calling the new age of Heroes and they seem very mad about it.

Those Heroes mostly feature minority characters so yeah. Further proof their claims of why they love DC's so much doesn't have so much to do with their quality since they seem mad and saying this might be the end of DC and another new 52 when they suddenly want to do minority characters.

It goes even further. They encourage their fans to attack writers on Twitter and make YouTube videos about how those writers are terrible people. They just seem to want to make the lives of comic artists and creators terrible until they relent and destroy characters because they don't like the fact that non-white people and not-het people are now allowed to be superheroes.

Frankly, this is hosed up.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm not saying that DC is bad and that Marvel's great. But, it seems these guys really want create this narrative that Marvel is failing due to diversity and that DC's amazing because it did not doing that.

Looking back on it, I think I now know where that weirdo I once talked to in a gameshop got all those talking points now. Because he loved those talking points, but, when I pointed out that they made no sense when you consider how Comics have always worked, he had no idea and had no idea how to follow up.

Like, he really did not know that Heroes stepping down so someone else can take the title is something that's been happening since the twenties and predates Superman. But, he sure love to get mad about the new characters and claimed they were a new phenomenon with no prior basis and were terrible and bad.

Edit Edit: also, I'm not saying all the new characters are great and that we should all like them or else. But, it certainly seems that this group has a particular agenda about them and really wants to act as if making new characters is some kind of new phenomenon and affront to the older characters.

I mean, gently caress, I was reading old comics recently and, in the last page, they advertise like a thousand superheroes who didn't take off like Spider-Girl (not mc-2). It amazes me that people seem to be bringing politics into it when throwing a bunch of characters at the wall and seeing what sticks is what Comics have always done.
It's a fairly common thing among sexists and white supremacists trying to rewrite history to fit their narrative and since they don't have any actual facts they mostly just back-up their stories with a torrent of abuse. They're also extremely upset that minorities are even given a voice at all, like there was that female editor who got covered in poo poo because she posted a picture of herself and other women involved in comics having milkshakes together, or all the troglodytes that were pissed off because Alamo was having special "Women only" screenings of Wonder Woman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zoro posted:

These people are short-sighted idiots who probably don't really read comics that much and are only invested in the industry as yet another front in their culture war. But it's pretty easy to paint an imbecilic narrative of DC being the "anti-sjw" side if you only cherry-pick things. Frank Miller's Batman here, the often extremely white JLA there, Johns sidelining a ton of minority characters to bring back boring white dudes, Superman being a literal white ubermensch who explicitly stands for The American Way (western values)... If you ignore like, 98% off the actual content of DC and Marvel's comics, you can totally say that DC is for mature rational adults who believe in western values and Marvel is an SJW cuck-fest who panders to tumblr teens with (((diversity))). Then you fit that idiotic take and Marvel's currently-bad sales and fit them into the moronic narrative that since the republicans won an election with the lowest turnout in modern history, progressiveness is over forever and the tide will never ever turn again.

It's all very circular and has almost nothing to do with reality on any level.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
The comic book fandom is full of scum like that. I'm still dazed over the loving Batgirl cover controversy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TenCentFang posted:

The comic book fandom is full of scum like that. I'm still dazed over the loving Batgirl cover controversy.

Frank Cho needs to get decked by a guy in a black hoodie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Lurdiak posted:

These people are short-sighted idiots who probably don't really read comics that much and are only invested in the industry as yet another front in their culture war. But it's pretty easy to paint an imbecilic narrative of DC being the "anti-sjw" side if you only cherry-pick things. Frank Miller's Batman here, the often extremely white JLA there, Johns sidelining a ton of minority characters to bring back boring white dudes, Superman being a literal white ubermensch who explicitly stands for The American Way (western values)... If you ignore like, 98% off the actual content of DC and Marvel's comics, you can totally say that DC is for mature rational adults who believe in western values and Marvel is an SJW cuck-fest who panders to tumblr teens with (((diversity))). Then you fit that idiotic take and Marvel's currently-bad sales and fit them into the moronic narrative that since the republicans won an election with the lowest turnout in modern history, progressiveness is over forever and the tide will never ever turn again.

It's all very circular and has almost nothing to do with reality on any level.

This sums it uo really well and is baffling. Though, I bet they took DC Rebirth as an endorsement since I thinknone guy went "make comics fun again." Which, if true, ugh, but not shocking since I recall a lot of shitheads in media companies getting vocal after Nov 2016 about how much they hate liberals only to get shutdown when it was revealed that was majority of their auidence were progressives.

Ironically, I actually recently got into comics again as an escape from assholes pulling this stuff. Poorly advised move, I suppose.

• Locked thread