Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
My main issue with it so far has already been said - Maximus would be right if he was doing anything for the reasons he said, and not just doing a power grab.

It is going to be increasingly difficult to believe that SHIELD doesn't show up as time goes by. A guy is reported to show up out of nowhere, and grunts at a cop car and it explodes. There may have been a giant dog involved? Weird energy spikes from the moon pointing at the same area? They have to show up pretty soon.

Maybe that's why the main cast of SHIELD is off the planet right now. Otherwise, episode four would be the Daisy/Black Bolt superfight and episode five would be a lot of people talking about how going to the moon isn't as cool when you've been to an alien planet.

Lockjaw tax:

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Set Designer: "What do you think, Scott? More grey rectangles? It feels like we have too many grey rectangles."

Scott Buck: "Maybe add a grey rhombus or two, some other grey parallelograms?"

Set Designer: "Another great idea from the man who brought us lumberjack Dexter."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
So I got caught up on the first two episodes of Inhumans.

Wow.

Wow.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I was hanging in there based on Black Bolt's delightful mugging for the camera and Lockjaw being best dogie :3:, but anything that comes out of Crystal's mouth and the decision to spend the first episode shaving the head of a character known for her hair powers and I'm done.

It's me, I'm that guy in TVIV talking about not watching shows. Look what you've done to me, ABC. This.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Shaving Medusa is actually a pretty smart way to nullify her as a powered threat.

Just watched both episodes tonight with Mrs. Rainbowbeard, and it's not as bad as some implied. It's pretty silly, Mrs. Rainbowbeard laughed when she realized Black Bolt was the King of the Moon and we're gonna ride it out till the Son Of Coul's adventures start up again.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
If we just ended the show right here, ignored all the characters except Black Bolt, and had him join Agents of SHIELD, I'd be OK with that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I dig most of the characters, actually, excepting Medusa and Crystal (and Gorgon from the knees down). I kind of can't help but be curious as to where they're going with this, given that our ostensible protagonists are monarchists who enforce a strict, eugenics-based caste system. Also, Crystal is just a straight up bigot against humans. Maximus is pretty much right and justified in every way. It's like Thor written by a twelfth grade poli-sci class.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I got to where Gorgon was screaming at the sea before I decided that I wasn't that invested in seeing the remainder. I think I'll check the verdict once the entire series is out and decide then whether to watch further or just get a recap before heading back in to Agents of SHIELD.

I liked what I saw of Bolt though. His actor made him work as a character despite not having any lines.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
How is everyone so loving stupid? Black Bolt clearly understands English, so he heard the woman tell him he couldn't just steal the clothes, and then he decides the best thing to do is to attack cops. On top of that, he wears a communicator that he can't use and uses a form of sign language that apparently only his wife understands. Gorgon decides that best way to find someone who fell into the ocean is to walk straight into it and drown. Karnak can't even climb down a hill. Medusa doesn't bother to finish killing someone she presumably knows has regeneration. Crystal is just racist.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Piell posted:

How is everyone so loving stupid? Black Bolt clearly understands English, so he heard the woman tell him he couldn't just steal the clothes, and then he decides the best thing to do is to attack cops. On top of that, he wears a communicator that he can't use and uses a form of sign language that apparently only his wife understands. Gorgon decides that best way to find someone who fell into the ocean is to walk straight into it and drown. Karnak can't even climb down a hill. Medusa doesn't bother to finish killing someone she presumably knows has regeneration. Crystal is just racist.
Yeah, all the main characters are either unlikable or just plain stupid. Maximus (supposedly the villain) is given the inspirational speech at the end of the episode without having ominous overtones, which is super weird. gently caress Attilan, it's a horrible society based on discrimination and forced servitude if you don't have powers (also if you DO have powers, like wall teleporter or eye projector guy).

Black Bolt is a spoiled douche who shoplifts and attacks innocent people. These are supposed to be the heroes?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Shaving Medusa is actually a pretty smart way to nullify her as a powered threat the FX budget for a few episodes

FTFY :v:

I like how the whole "Everyone gets thrown into the absolute worst possible situation, all at the same time!" plot just coincidentally also made it so most of the FX-heavy characters couldn't use their powers: Medusa loses her hair, Lockjaw can't teleport, Black Bolt is trapped amongst innocent squishy humans, etc.. I also suspect that the decision to transport most of the main cast to Earth was heavily influenced by budget in that they could get away with creating a minimum amount of physical sets for Attilan and cut wayy down on the Attilan external CG shots that were required. I guess some of those location shots where they were tossing a car down a street and stuff might have been a bit costly but on the other hand maybe the State of Hawaii was cutting them some tax breaks for shooting there so it might've been cheaper than usual.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Shaving Medusa is actually a pretty smart way to nullify her as a powered threat.\
I also thought it was an effectively villainous act that was the only real time I really felt for and connected with Medusa. Like, the idea of having your head forcibly shaved when your air are like limbs is really loving horrific when I try and wrap my mind around it. Its almost a rape or mutilation that really goes a step further for Maximus on his "friend"/"love" even beyond the assassinations.

And yeah, obviously it was a means to take her hair out of the production equation which was kind of lame but probably for the best all things considered. I'm not especially bothered by the SFX/production/plot "yeah, we're not going to have the giant CGI dog around all the time or Black Bolt blasting people" criticisms because I really didn't expect much else coming in.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
It wasn't as bad as I'd feared. It wasn't great TV or even particularly good TV, but it sure will fill the gap until AoS comes back. I'd like to see where they take it, see if they exceed my mediocre expectations.

So, instead of Agent Carter season three, we got... this. The best character is a CGI dog that they probably won't use anymore because he cost too much.

For Gorgon's feet, I got flashbacks to Legend, where they tried to never show Darkness in full profile: you'd either see the hooves, or the waist up, and sometimes you'd catch glimpses of the feet and they clearly weren't hooves. I'm pretty sure walking in hooves like that is murder, like the worst pair of heels you've ever seen.

Black Bolt seems to be inhumanly (lol) strong. Why is that? If they live on the moon, the lower gravity would make them weaker than us. I do like that he was totally about to vaporize his brother before Lockjaw teleported him away.

My wife immediately compared the not-NASA woman to Felicity. Like, they weren't even trying to disguise that.

For those who say "in a world with alien invasions and literal thunder gods, hooves on the moon shouldn't be a big deal." Just because some things are true, doesn't make all things true. But, threatening to fire her over it was an overreaction. They definitely should have taken it seriously. The only way it will make sense is if her boss is part of a cover-up to keep knowledge of moon Inhumans quiet.

I truly hope that Medusa and Black Bolt had been planning to ease relations between the haves and have-nots, but didn't want to bring anyone else in on it, yet. I mean, clearly Medusa came from a family that despised the existing system; for her to buy in to it so completely would show extremely poor character.

I mean, I already don't like any of them, except Lockjaw and not-NASA lady. Everyone else is either a jerk or stupid, or a stupid jerk.

Edit: Maximus having Medusa's head shaved may have been for budget reasons, but the act itself was closer to rape than assault.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Sorry, but there's no way this wouldn't get asked eventually, and it's not like I'm detracting from an in-depth discussion about a good and nuanced show with my juvenile antics.

Does Medusa's *ahem* power apply to all the hair on her body, or just her head?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aleph Null posted:

For those who say "in a world with alien invasions and literal thunder gods, hooves on the moon shouldn't be a big deal." Just because some things are true, doesn't make all things true. But, threatening to fire her over it was an overreaction. They definitely should have taken it seriously. The only way it will make sense is if her boss is part of a cover-up to keep knowledge of moon Inhumans quiet.

I mean, the tone of those scenes wasn't that she was in danger of getting fired for speculating that a moon cow took out her rover but rather than she lost a billion dollar space rover without an explanation better than "maybe a moon cow?" That and her job was already kind of sketchy before the "moon cow" thing because of "moon cow"-like allusions in the past.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

That and her job was already kind of sketchy before the "moon cow" thing because of "moon cow"-like allusions in the past.

I did not catch this, but, if so, I revise my opinion. She's a loose canon; she gets results, but this time she's gone too far. "Turn in your telescope!"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah it was in the exposition in her talk with her boss. He did a whole thing about how everyone knows she's smart but he took a chance on her because they all think she's crazy and blah blah blah. The usual.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

STAC Goat posted:

And yeah, obviously it was a means to take her hair out of the production equation which was kind of lame but probably for the best all things considered. I'm not especially bothered by the SFX/production/plot "yeah, we're not going to have the giant CGI dog around all the time or Black Bolt blasting people" criticisms because I really didn't expect much else coming in.

I also think it was probably for the best and isolating the royal family and removing their powers will probably give better results as far as drama and character moments are concerned. I just wish they'd spent a little more time in Attilan showcasing the status quo before mixing it up.

But sidelining Lockjaw sucks, that's for sure.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah it was in the exposition in her talk with her boss. He did a whole thing about how everyone knows she's smart but he took a chance on her because they all think she's crazy and blah blah blah. The usual.

I thought that was just garden variety mysoginy, but what you say makes sense in context.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

After just seeing the pilot for The Gifted, I think it makes a way better impression out of the two mutant power shows.
I actually cared about the characters on the X-Men show, for one. They used their powers a lot more, too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I also think it was probably for the best and isolating the royal family and removing their powers will probably give better results as far as drama and character moments are concerned. I just wish they'd spent a little more time in Attilan showcasing the status quo before mixing it up.

But sidelining Lockjaw sucks, that's for sure.

Its definitely part of my main criticism. They did a poor job establishing Attilan from any perspective except Maximus' and the whole thing where a brother and sister walk into a room as equals and then leave with the sister being embraced by the princess for having pretty wings and the brother having to be saved from the mines by Maximus because all he did was pass out.

Maximus was villainous enough in many ways (especially Medusa's head shaving which carried all kind of rapey/mutilation feelings of it) so its not like I take his side or anything. But they didn't do anything to give the viewers a reason to take the Royal Family's side or recognize why Attilan has to exist this way (beyond vague resources talk) or see anything between the psychopath revolutionary and the aloof racist tyrants. They could have spent more time pre-coup and established that they wanted changed, recognized some of the flaws in the society, thought Crystals "ohh, pretty wings" thing was pretty immature and messed up, or something. But we got rushed into the coup and retreat to Earth so we're left with just the bad impressions.

I definitely got the sense that they're saving it for a big reveal to be the secrets Black Bolt and Medusa were keeping, what Triton was doing on Earth, and what Medusa told Crystal to "do what I taught you"... but I don't understand why you'd choose to make "actually the good guys are good guys" a surprise twist later in the season rather than just the basis of the show.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

OB_Juan posted:

It is going to be increasingly difficult to believe that SHIELD doesn't show up as time goes by. A guy is reported to show up out of nowhere, and grunts at a cop car and it explodes. There may have been a giant dog involved? Weird energy spikes from the moon pointing at the same area? They have to show up pretty soon.

Do we know for sure that there aren't going to be heavy cross-overs between this and Agents of SHIELD? They talked about the events from AoS early in the episode, the terrigen seeping into the ocean and creating Inhumans all over the world, and the tourists that Gorgon was hanging out with knew he was an Inhuman right away -- there's obviously some effort made to show that these Inhumans are dropping right into the world that AoS carved out. Is it impossible that Coulson and company fight their way off whatever weird poo poo they were left in and have a showdown with the Royal Family in time for the midseason break?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Phenotype posted:

Do we know for sure that there aren't going to be heavy cross-overs between this and Agents of SHIELD? They talked about the events from AoS early in the episode, the terrigen seeping into the ocean and creating Inhumans all over the world, and the tourists that Gorgon was hanging out with knew he was an Inhuman right away -- there's obviously some effort made to show that these Inhumans are dropping right into the world that AoS carved out. Is it impossible that Coulson and company fight their way off whatever weird poo poo they were left in and have a showdown with the Royal Family in time for the midseason break?
I have a feeling that this season (at least) will not have any crossovers so that if it completely bombs, it can be forgotten about and stricken from the overall MCU.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

While it strikes me that we all we know about this season of SHIELD is "space" and the moon/Attilan fits that theme fine, I assume if there was going to be any SHIELD cast members appearing in major form in Inhumans we would have heard it by now and it would have been part of the hype. Maybe we get some end of season surprise cameo or something but I'm not expecting Daisy to connect with Gorgon half way through or something and work to free the Inhumans.

I think there's more of a chance something could cross over into the SHIELD season but it would probably be a theme or element the way they played the magic/Strange stuff into last season or some of the Agent Carter stuff into past seasons. Maybe some secondary character could crossover but again, I'm not expecting Medusa to pop in to ask SHIELD to help them free the Inhumans or something. Especially if this flops bad.

Like... I could see Coulson being on the moon investigating the Blue Area of the Moon or something. Or researching some Kree stuff that ties back into the Inhumans and Attilan but doesn't draw the Royal Family into it directly.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
It's not good, but it's better than Iron Fist.

And at least just the pilot in on each, I like it better than The Gifted.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

JazzFlight posted:

I have a feeling that this season (at least) will not have any crossovers so that if it completely bombs, it can be forgotten about and stricken from the overall MCU.

I agree with this but I could maybe see them crossover and include some inhuman we've seen before on AoS, like the senator's brother who fell in the ocean and re-crystallized or whatever.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

That reminds me...

They just flat-out changed how the Inhumans gain their powers. They cut out the cocoon part. I guess their crystals are different or the box they were in had a beneficial stasis field or whatever that was never mentioned.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JazzFlight posted:

That reminds me...

They just flat-out changed how the Inhumans gain their powers. They cut out the cocoon part. I guess their crystals are different or the box they were in had a beneficial stasis field or whatever that was never mentioned.

Yeah a quick google tells me that the chambers they use on Attilan apparently release the Terrigen mist at the optimal temperature and controls all sorts of other variables to ensure the process goes as smoothly as possible so they had some wriggle room to change it up.
I'm also guessing they're not going to feature the Terrigenesis process very often (if ever again) and for the sake of the scene they wrote they needed it to happen pretty much immediately so I guess they just went "gently caress it they just change, just get it over with."

Which is a shame, the cocooning version had a fun "Who's that Pokemon?" delayed reveal vibe.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Our cross over is people mentioned events from AoS in the first episode. On AoS whenever they get back to earth someone will says "Crazy things happened while you were gone, the king of the moon visited with his giant teleporting dog!" And Coulson will say no be serious, what really happened? And then the studio audience will laugh and we'll end on a freeze frame.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

JazzFlight posted:

That reminds me...

They establish that the people on the moon are full-blooded Inhumans whereas any left on Earth aren't. Maybe the cocooning is a side effect of that?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

jivjov posted:

They establish that the people on the moon are full-blooded Inhumans whereas any left on Earth aren't. Maybe the cocooning is a side effect of that?

I also assumed it was because the crystals on the moon were perfect and pure with no contamination of any kind.

But the chambers being magic makes more sense.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Watched this last night. It was ok. Nowhere near as compelling as Orville or Discovery and I normally come firmly down on the fantasy part of sci fi and fantasy. The tone is so uneven and weird. Medusas acting is all fire and blood drama, blackbolt is doing a buster Keaton riff and i can't say Crystal is acting at all.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

counterfeitsaint posted:

Sorry, but there's no way this wouldn't get asked eventually, and it's not like I'm detracting from an in-depth discussion about a good and nuanced show with my juvenile antics.

Does Medusa's *ahem* power apply to all the hair on her body, or just her head?

Sure. Why not. I bet the Thing's thing is made of orange rock, too.

My wife thought that not-NASA lady was Olivia Dunham from Fringe for at least half an hour. It's not the same actress, I'd like to say "obviously" but I guess it's not to some people.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

For me this show's biggest sin is being aggressively mediocre. It's not comically bad (Gorgon wandering into the ocean aside) but it also isn't good. Most of the cast seems to be doing the best that they can with weak writing and they rushed the poo poo out of the plot so now we're supposed to be invested in this huge coup without getting a reason to care about anyone.

At least the extras and actors playing residents of Hawaii actually match the demographics of the state. Also, Lockjaw is cool.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
They pulled out a moon Norelco. It's comically bad.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CaveGrinch posted:

They pulled out a moon Norelco. It's comically bad.

They have a dog and a door-person who can teleport them to earth to buy toiletries.

It was Triton's standing secondary mission.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

This was one of the worst things I've ever seen on tv.

Two bright points were I liked how they show how Karnaks powers work and black bolt vaporizing his parents in a fit of teenage angst was hysterical and had me laughing for a long long time.

Bring back the space son of coul abc

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Ramadu posted:

This was one of the worst things I've ever seen on tv.

Two bright points were I liked how they show how Karnaks powers work and black bolt vaporizing his parents in a fit of teenage angst was hysterical and had me laughing for a long long time.

Bring back the space son of coul abc

Was it angst? I thought he literally just started to say something, not yet knowing how his powers work, and accidentally atomized them.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

jivjov posted:

Was it angst? I thought he literally just started to say something, not yet knowing how his powers work, and accidentally atomized them.

Kind of makes me think their genetic council or whatever is the most ineffective council ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, there's no reason to think Black Bolt knew he'd kill his parents unless you're just looking for stuff to mock. It was the typical mutant "powers emerge to tragedy" thing.

From the one scene we got of the teregenesis process the council doesn't seem to have a lot of tools to figure out what's going on unless you immediately sprout wins or grow hoofs. But it should be no real surprise that the oppressive government is also kind of incompetent. After all they got overthrown real easy.

• Locked thread