Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ugliest fashion period?
1975-1979
1980-1984
1985-1989
1990-1994
1995-1999
2000-2004
2005-2009
View Results

• Locked thread
SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

^ THIS

There was also Juicy Couture.

No I'm not flattered by the sweat pants with JUICY written on the rear end while waiting in line at the grocery store.

Half the women who wore them did not have juicy butts. False advertising.

Remember Stupid Girls? Pink basically bragging she’s not like all those other girls and is soooo cool and smart. Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Casimir Radon posted:

The thought of 70s people having sex with each other makes me want to throw up.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
50s was prim and proper and cool. Everyone was still wearing little hats and gloves and it took like seven hours of grooming and cleaning a day from your depressed 50s housewife to keep everyone looking so swank all the time.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
Motherfuckers are taking gfs to dinners dressed in sweatpants. Nothing worse than 2010-now.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Had to vote for late 90s. I look back at pictures of myself and wonder "what was that rear end in a top hat thinking!?"

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Jurassic period

Club Sandwich
May 25, 2012

Blue Train posted:

I miss the girl track suits they were hot

twist: this is a contemporary photo. Juicy tracksuits are back.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

like a cigarette should posted:

50s was prim and proper and cool. Everyone was still wearing little hats and gloves and it took like seven hours of grooming and cleaning a day from your depressed 50s housewife to keep everyone looking so swank all the time.
That's why everything was starched and shellacked and hairspray'd to hell and back. Plus a/c wasn't exactly widespread. So enjoy marinating in an orgy of sweat, perfume, and cologne like a middle school gymnasium 24/7. :coal:

dk2m
May 6, 2009
2000s rap aesthetic, the giant t shirts, jorts and timbs combo

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

mind the walrus posted:

That's why everything was starched and shellacked and hairspray'd to hell and back. Plus a/c wasn't exactly widespread. So enjoy marinating in an orgy of sweat, perfume, and cologne like a middle school gymnasium 24/7. :coal:

This is extremely my thing

Lena Dunham
Sep 19, 2017

dk2m posted:

2000s rap aesthetic, the giant t shirts, jorts and timbs combo

Baggies own

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

remember when every congressman wore powder blue suits

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Club Sandwich posted:

twist: this is a contemporary photo. Juicy tracksuits are back.

Can possibly confirm?

They were all over the mall in the lovely rural city where I was doing Xmas shopping, but I never see them in Denver.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
I prefer guys from the 70s.

the 90s was when cucky pizzone made his rounds.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

All this poo poo looks the same to me.

*dramatically swishes cloak and vanishes into the sewers*

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
older music styles seem to hold up better than older clothes styles. but maybe its that our knowledge of old music is heavily filtered for quality, while these images of old clothes are somewhat randomly found.

i do like that picture of the 4 guys in bellbottoms, dapper.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

Gaunab posted:

I was watching the music video for Bruno Mars new song Finesse and now I want to know which time period had the ugliest fashions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsoLEjrDogU

i loving love cardi b

but this is the worst pos ever

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

https://i.imgur.com/f4UDZqX.jpg this picture is amazing. Everyone under 30 in seattle looks like 1 of the last 4. Every. One.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
when i think of the 50s i think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ma88XuilCQ

though i suppose that's really the late 40s

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
in men's suits we've also gone full circle. scenes from the tonight show in order of appearance:

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Blue Train posted:

Uh wrong idiot look at my man's range of motion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtxlCsVKkvY

Above the waist is the most logical and natural point to have pants end because it gives a natural cinch point to keep the pants in place. Luckily we as a society have decided that having 75% of your body covered in pants looks more ridiculous than having half your rear end hanging out and constantly having to pull your pants back up.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Every part of the 1990's - early 2000s was a fashion crime.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
This was 2001.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
YOGA PANTS

its like women were like, men deserve to see

i dont know why its so acceptable, but praise the lord

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

the rally to restore insanity

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

in men's suits we've also gone full circle. scenes from the tonight show in order of appearance:

The thing about men's suits is that you could probably wear anything in subdued colors made in the last hundred years and blend in seamlessly anywhere.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So my favorite fashion writer is Simon Doonan who wrote seven years ago that we were living through a fashion apocalypse. That puts us currently in the post-apocalypse.

For example this what the cast of Jersey Shore looked like in 2010:

quote:

This state of affairs is unprecedented in history: The French Incroyables of the 18th century; the glam-rockers, punks, and goths of the '70s; the New Romantics of the early '80s; the Shibuya Girls of the '90s—all of these wacky trendsters pale in comparison with the tattooed, Gaga'd, Winehouse'd, tarted-up trolls and trollops of today.

So what happened? How did we end up living in this all-bets-are-off world where sockless Brooklyn hipsters with Edwardian moustaches make artisanal pickles while, across the bridge, desperate office chicks believe they have no social currency unless they own 398 handbags and 268 pairs of shoes, the heels of which are so high that they would previously have been worn only by a woman who was lying on her back wearing nothing but the pumps in question and a ball-gag?

Here's how: For most of the last century, fashion indulgences were strictly the prerogative of a small bunch of snooty broads with rich husbands. In the 1950s, regular people like toi and moi had to make do with nifty-but-unchallenging styles like "preppy" or "mod." Respectable women dressed like the queen, intelligent women dressed like Iris Murdoch, and sassy or common women dressed like my mum/Lana Turner.

Then the counter culture loosened things up. By the time the '70s rolled around, the masses were becoming a tad louche, in a Soul Train kind of a way. But there was still no Sex and the City or Ugly Bettyor Project Runway, and the devil was not only not wearing Prada, he was actually wearing a polyester Nik-Nik shirt and a Members Only jacket. Fashion was for marginalized freaks, as exemplified by the fact that, back in the day, you could not sell a movie script or TV show based in this elitist milieu.

But then, in the early '90s, the apocalypse belched and started its preliminary gurglings. Fashion hitched a ride on the public's burgeoning obsession with celebrity, edging its wicked way onto the red carpet and, bit by bit, into the center of the cultural landscape. E're long, everyone in America was delusionally identifying with the stars and, by association, with their freebie designer frocks. "Where's my Dior? Where's my Valentino?" they shrieked. Within the space of a couple of decades, fashion had gone from being an unwelcome effete intruder to the only motherluvin' thing the population cared about.

Stores and fashion brands proliferated, offering wildly hip garments at every price point. (Prices are like toast in the Fashion World: They have points.) The Web ensured that you, the ordinary women in the street (no offense!), could buy any blouse at any price at any time of the day or night. Et voilà! Unlimited, unsupervised fashion masturbation, 24/7!

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/doonan/2010/09/welcome_to_the_fashion_apocalypse.html
My guess is the double-whammy of fashion apocalypse and financial apocalypse brought about the conservative look we have today down to the high-and-tight haircuts.

Also reflecting the general uptightness of our era is the snugness of men's suits. The clothes look like they're about to burst:

The most extreme and ridiculous example:

This is Sam Hunt, the country music singer:

I'm starting to miss the 70s where you could do baggy and tight in the same outfit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydLcs4VrjZQ

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 6, 2018

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014

I still have a pair in my closet I plan on giving to one of my sons so he can be retro one day in highschool.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah those men aren't sitting down without unbuttoning those jackets.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DancingShade posted:

Yeah those men aren't sitting down without unbuttoning those jackets.

This is what you're supposed to do

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I'll take late 90's / early 2000's women's jeans over the awful longbutt mom jeans that are back today:

Compare:

vs

Granted, Britney does look like she's going to eat me in that picture (and could use the calories)

Neither is as bad as this 1920's flapper poo poo that has come back like twice in my lifetime and has never looked sexy:

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 6, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ol Standard Retard posted:

This is what you're supposed to do
This post is further evidence for the general clamping-up of today's fashion. You're supposed to do this, you're supposed to do that. Well, I say that men are being bossed around by too many busybodies trying to look like Clark Kent when he's not in his Superman costume.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Fashion just continues to get worse with each decade. Back in my day, clothes were functional. They kept you warm, and prevented the family goat from biting your dick/labia off.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Supernorn posted:

This was 2001.

White trash or Canadians.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

White trash or Canadians.

ROWSDOWER!!!!!!!

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
read some late 70s updike like even Rabbit is Rich is full of synthetic everything described in horrifying detail, from personal care products to clothes to food to interior decoration to greasy 70s old-people sex.

it sounds like it was a really disgusting time.

i mean though it is a contemporary novel i guess the point was that the formerly-bucolic Brewer of his youth has become a synthetic world full of polyester and discos and problems and imported cars, as the rest of the world has. to that end rabbit too finds himself changing. gone is the lower-class struggling rabbit of Redux and we see a newer, more mature Rabbit Angstrom. The sixities long over, Rabbit has settled into an idyllic bourgeois lifestyle in Brewer where he is free to explore his past in his search for his potential child from a previous love affair, contemplate his future with the arrival of his granddaughter, and plan for the future by investing heavily in gold coingage.

moreover, a theme later explored further in Rabbit At Rest, is the synthetic life that allows people to live longer by use of modern machinery and medical technologies.

berth ell pup fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

berth ell pup posted:

ROWSDOWER!!!!!!!

Truly the greatest hero ever to come out of Canada. Also, he had the courage to wonder if beer was on the sun.

• Locked thread