Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ugliest fashion period?
1975-1979
1980-1984
1985-1989
1990-1994
1995-1999
2000-2004
2005-2009
View Results

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I was watching the music video for Bruno Mars new song Finesse and now I want to know which time period had the ugliest fashions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsoLEjrDogU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
I really wish powdered wigs would make a comeback.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
it was the 70s. I'm the one that voted for the 70s and i stand by that

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Mountain time

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
90s.

mrhappytongue
Oct 13, 2003

by Lowtax
Why were you watching that music video?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Hellenistic era

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
70s poo poo looks uncomfortable as poo poo man. Everybody is all hot and sweaty and hairy af and wrapped in tight polyester poo poo. Fuckin gross rear end hair product and layer cake makeup. Shits like a sweaty itchy spacesuit musk forest and on top of that people are doing ludes and rush and crappy low quality cocaine which just makes your clothes feel tighter and more uncomfortable. I mean just bleh let’s make ourselves feel terrible to look just ugly enough.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

70s poo poo looks uncomfortable as poo poo man. Everybody is all hot and sweaty and hairy af and wrapped in tight polyester poo poo. Fuckin gross rear end hair product and layer cake makeup. Shits like a sweaty itchy spacesuit musk forest and on top of that people are doing ludes and rush and crappy low quality cocaine which just makes your clothes feel tighter and more uncomfortable. I mean just bleh let’s make ourselves feel terrible to look just ugly enough.

Uh wrong idiot look at my man's range of motion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtxlCsVKkvY

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Can't do that poo poo in no skinny jeans

SketchyNick
Oct 15, 2005
70's athletic wear was awesome, dunno what you fools are talking about.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

nvj is touched by your generosity!
2010-present is going to be a strong contender. 30 year old guys wearing skinny jeans, long-line tees, and Nike high-tops are not going to look good through the lens of history (or through any other lens for that matter).

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Which era had guys wearing v necks because it's that one

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Blue Train posted:

Which era had guys wearing v necks because it's that one

Probably started getting bad c. 2008 and crested around 2011. The deep-V was Ed Hardy for skinny guys.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

Boof Bonser posted:

2010-present is going to be a strong contender. 30 year old guys wearing skinny jeans, long-line tees, and Nike high-tops are not going to look good through the lens of history (or through any other lens for that matter).

... What if I'm wearing bootcut jeans and a standard v-neck tee with adidas high-tops?

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Killswitch posted:

... What if I'm wearing bootcut jeans and a standard v-neck tee with adidas high-tops?

Oh god I forgot about bootcut jeans. "Let's bring back bellbottoms but call them something else" seems like a prank idea that never should have worked, and yet, somehow

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Wait bootcut is flared? maybe these are straight-leg, they definitely don't have a flare at the bottom. IDK, my wife dresses me, possibly like a retard it sounds like

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

95-99 was way uglier than you remember.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blue Train posted:

Uh wrong idiot look at my man's range of motion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtxlCsVKkvY

I mean cool but they probably all smell like a 2 week old opened package of hotdogs that’s sat out in the sun after like one song. :shrug:

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

mind the walrus posted:

Especially for formal menswear. Boxy 3-button suits with cuffed pants and wide ugly pattern ties

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

You just have to watch old episodes of Friends to remember how truly dire it was then

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Shoulder pads for women were dumb af too. It’s like you look like a robot idiot. :jerkbag:

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
The 1970s were a hideous time to be alive.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think men’s shoulder pads and very angular, almost triangular shirts and flowing, airy, loose pants will be popular in the 2020s. :fella:

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

absolutely the 70s since it was a prerequisite to look like a sweaty hobo wearing a spaceship uniform and every other decade seemed to be determined to forget it happened

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gotta go with the mid to late 90s. I'd say that's the start of when people just stopped trying.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 5, 2018

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Need more emphasis on the balls than the bells. Look like Ken dolls

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
It was 1410 M'lord.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

this was pretty much the gold standard of cool when i was in middle school

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

tbh those look pretty rad, despite knowing they probably smell like ball sweat and Winston cigarettes.

Woden
May 6, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Zubaz and hypercolour were terrible, it did have goths though so not all bad.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Wow I'd sit at their lunch table

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The 70s was extremely ugly but also extremely hot

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Boof Bonser posted:

Especially for formal menswear. Boxy 3-button suits with cuffed pants and wide ugly pattern ties

I'm listening.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

d0s posted:

this was pretty much the gold standard of cool when i was in middle school

They look like the grade 8s when I was in grade 6. They were the coolest people ever in our eyes.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
In the '90s we used to make merciless fun of 80s fashion but in retrospect it's aged a lot better than the shapeless baggy bland look of 1994-98.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
When were drop-crotch pants popular? Because it's that time span.

Seriously, if you go out in public with those things on, you should be shot on sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogshitboy
Dec 8, 2017
baroque i think

• Locked thread