Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

idk guys a bunch of white middle class teenagers and television liberals are really mad at guns right now i think were really at a turning point here!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

This is the worst post in this thread that not only a) sets up an incredibly ludicrous false dichotomy but also b) pretends that only white high schoolers are victims of gun violence. Because, you know, when I hear the name Emma González, I definitely think white. But that's okay. we should do nothing and let the NRA, a literal propaganda arm of capital driving people to violence, have the final word, because of a hypothetical scenario that doesn't hold up to the fact that we actually do have records of who holds guns, the majority of which are white, cryptofascist murder fetish hoarders - but fail to have a national gun registry because the NRA, a literal propaganda arm of the arms manufacturers that produce and sell these weapons, has lobbied against it. https://www.thetrace.org/2016/08/atf-ridiculous-non-searchable-databases-explained/

It's not like it manners anyways because the generation that is following ours has had it with going to school in fear of being gunned down by fellow classmates or even supposed adults, and will make these changes within our lifetime. It will be messy, and the mistakes and abuses made must be brought to light and punished, but we can't go on like this forever, and we won't.

op it's a bad idea to trust that the police in this country will use gun control as anything other than another excuse to terrorize marginalized communities

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

well, speaking as a rich white liberal i think you'll find

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

there will never be any sort of significant seizure of guns in America in its current form, outside massive social unrest.

good news

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Clochette posted:

well, speaking as a rich white liberal i think you'll find

Rich White people arent exactly fans of guns except for the ones the armed guard in their gated community carries.

But them tax cuts tho...

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

teens holding extremely polite protests in the Designated Zones doesnt count as social unrest

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i more meant long term, gesturing wildly towards every post in the doomsday thread

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

and when guns are actually seized it wont be because theyre killing too many kids in schools or poor kids in drive bys, it'll be because theyre starting to be used against the power structure

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

So the reactionary government disarming the people amid widespread civil unrest over the failing economy is a good thing?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

and when guns are actually seized it wont be because theyre killing too many kids in schools or poor kids in drive bys, it'll be because theyre starting to be used against the power structure

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Sidakafitz posted:

So the reactionary government disarming the people amid widespread civil unrest over the failing economy is a good thing?

love me im a liberal

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
whenever i think of what a non-violent protest achieves, i think of this video from the serb wars, where you had a non-violent protest against Milosevic, then one sniper opens fires, and they all just simultaneoulsy fall to the ground. useless. afraid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdS9M7oSVOg&t=6590s

that tells you how absolutely useless 'unarmed resistance' is. real social change means taking on the centers of power, and that means violence, through arms.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

rudatron posted:

whenever i think of what a non-violent protest achieves, i think of this video from the serb wars, where you had a non-violent protest against Milosevic, then one sniper opens fires, and they all just simultaneoulsy fall to the ground. useless. afraid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdS9M7oSVOg&t=6590s

that tells you how absolutely useless 'unarmed resistance' is. real social change means taking on the centers of power, and that means violence, through arms.

lot of libs are weird american exceptionalists who think this kind of stuff could never happen in america

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

actually, peaceful protests are extremely effective

at getting you placed on watch lists in case you ever think of doing something meaningful

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

To be fair, peaceful resistance can be effective if you have overwhelming masses of people who are entirely unafraid of death and will keep going despite being mowed down by machine-gun fire, like a terminator

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.
the fantasy of you and your ragtag band of 20 assault rifles per person somehow winning a war against the US military, on their own soil, is hilariously juvenile no matter what your political goals are

the Confederates (who had entire state governments on their side) gave it a try and got crushed, and that was back when both the feds and the rebels just had guns

now the feds have tanks and planes and WMDs, and the LARPing rebels still just have guns

but hey, your gun nerd fantasies are totally worth real people getting killed by the thousands every year, for no reason

jarofpiss posted:

i dont care enough about white high schoolers to justify a confiscation program that will be inevitably used to massacre people of color in their own homes

apparently only white people are victims of random gun violence, which is the stupidest loving made-up fact that i've ever heard

have you heard of the police? they sometimes kill black people for no reason too, and black kids go to high school too

Gone Fission has issued a correction as of 06:00 on Apr 5, 2018

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the army is maga chuds, the militias are maga chuds, the cops are maga chuds,

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

hahaha militias

"look at me, i'm going to fight the professional army of my own country, or ignore the fact that my country now has a professional army and pretend that i'm the last line of resistance against King George"

disband all militias and give them free copies of Call of Duty, they're less likely to shoot themselves in the face and just as likely to overthrow a tyrannical government

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I'm just constantly baffled when people go "lol the US military has tanks and planes and drones, what could an insurgency with guns and improvised explosives possibly do against that?" and act like they're doing anything other than embarrassing themselves

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Gone Fission posted:

the fantasy of you and your ragtag band of 20 assault rifles per person somehow winning a war against the US military, on their own soil, is hilariously juvenile no matter what your political goals are

the Confederates (who had entire state governments on their side) gave it a try and got crushed, and that was back when both the feds and the rebels just had guns

now the feds have tanks and planes and WMDs, and the LARPing rebels still just have guns

but hey, your gun nerd fantasies are totally worth real people getting killed by the thousands every year, for no reason

hm yeah irregular paramilitary forces could never win against the us military :thunk:

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

LGD posted:

I'm just constantly baffled when people go "lol the US military has tanks and planes and drones, what could an insurgency with guns and improvised explosives possibly do against that?" and act like they're doing anything other than embarrassing themselves

so why is it that you think that your fantasy scenario is plausible?

do you think that somehow you know this country's terrain better than the military that you're fighting against (who are also from the same country)?

or maybe you think that an assault rifle actually is a threat to a plane?

maybe you think that you have more/better soldiers, or more guns, or more popular support than the US military does, in America?

really curious here

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Gone Fission posted:

so why is it that you think that your fantasy scenario is plausible?

do you think that somehow you know this country's terrain better than the military that you're fighting against (who are also from the same country)?

or maybe you think that an assault rifle actually is a threat to a plane?

maybe you think that you have more/better soldiers, or more guns, or more popular support than the US military does, in America?

really curious here

maybe read up on the last 50 years of the US military's experience fighting guerrilla forces and get back to the thread

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

maybe read up on the last 50 years of the US military's experience fighting guerrilla forces and get back to the thread

there was a US civil war in the last 50 years, and the US government lost it? why can't i find any articles or videos about this?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Gone Fission posted:

there was a US civil war in the last 50 years, and the US government lost it? why can't i find any articles or videos about this?

you are stupid.

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

you are stupid.

you think that the US military could lose a civil war, that it has lost a civil war, and in fact that this happened in the past 50 years

lmao

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Gone Fission posted:

you think that the US military could lose a civil war, that it has lost a civil war, and in fact that this happened in the past 50 years

lmao

google "taliban" or maybe "viet cong" to have your mind blown

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

google "taliban" or maybe "viet cong" to have your mind blown

we are talking about the heroic skinhead/maoist militias rising up against the US government, in America

gun control in Afghanistan isn't relevant to this scenario

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Gone Fission posted:

we are talking about the heroic skinhead/maoist militias rising up against the US government, in America

gun control in Afghanistan isn't relevant to this scenario

youre the one asserting that it is impossible for an irregular guerilla force to win against the US military, when almost every conflict we've engaged in since Korea proves the exact opposite. im not sure why it being in America, with a population much better armed than the Vietnamese were, or the Afghans are, are somehow immune to that.

if there was an actual popular insurgency against the government, the US government would be in an extremely bad position. The Civil War, fought in the 19th century as essentially a war between nationstates, has basically no relevance to the ways wars are fought now.

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

it's really disingenuous to compare fighting foreigners with fighting people from your own country

the only reason any of the guerrillas you're citing have had any success fighting against people who are more well-armed and well-trained than them is because they have the advantage of local support, terrain, language, culture, inherent interest in the outcome, etc., which the foreign army doesn't have

none of that applies to a civil war

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
rag-tag militia are helpless before the might of the f22s and f35. however much like russia had "general winter" during ww2, they would have an ally capable of felling the most advanced of american aircraft: "general light inclement weather"

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
heres another foe capable of defeating our mightiest aircraft: mild logistical confusion and a moderate economic downturn brought about by domestic unrest

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
Could a left-wing armed revolution in America actually "win" :airquote: instead of just exhausting the other side to the point of forcing concessions like regional autonomy and a pivot to a semi-stable political center?

Also, does it really matter if you have guns in your house in this scenario? I assume that most of the arms (which would possibly include military grade equipment) would be supplied by people sympathetic to your cause, and through stuff like raiding the stocks of chud armories.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Gone Fission posted:

it's really disingenuous to compare fighting foreigners with fighting people from your own country

the only reason any of the guerrillas you're citing have had any success fighting against people who are more well-armed and well-trained than them is because they have the advantage of local support, terrain, language, culture, inherent interest in the outcome, etc., which the foreign army doesn't have

none of that applies to a civil war

im not sure why a popularly supported insurgency in the united states would not have those same advantages, maybe on a lower level admittedly. but an insurgency in the US would have other advantages those foreign fighters did not, mainly the ability to directly strike at the economy, popular support and infrastructure that supports the US military.

im not saying it would be a guaranteed easy victory, but saying there is no chance at all of taking on the US military is a dumb lie by liberals who want to hand over all weapons to a reactionary, imperialist, racist state to allow them to do whatever they want without facing any potential consequences.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

SickZip posted:

rag-tag militia are helpless before the might of the f22s and f35. however much like russia had "general winter" during ww2, they would have an ally capable of felling the most advanced of american aircraft: "general light inclement weather"

SickZip posted:

heres another foe capable of defeating our mightiest aircraft: mild logistical confusion and a moderate economic downturn brought about by domestic unrest

lmao, good point, i concede and i welcome our new benevolent militia overlords

Metal Cat posted:

Could a left-wing armed revolution in America actually "win" :airquote: instead of just exhausting the other side to the point of forcing concessions like regional autonomy and a pivot to a semi-stable political center?

Also, does it really matter if you have guns in your house in this scenario? I assume that most of the arms (which would possibly include military grade equipment) would be supplied by people sympathetic to your cause, and through stuff like raiding the stocks of chud armories.

i don't think so. In a few decades of living on this planet and meeting leftists, i've only ever met one leftist who i could see being fearless and bloodthirsty enough to actually contribute to a violent revolution, and even then only if a lot more people like him somehow appeared out of nowhere and completely changed the political context

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

mass shootings are to liberals what islamic terror is to conservatives in terms of highly visible yet statistically insignificant death tolls leading to simple minded reactionary histrionics and the butchering of civil liberties

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

were one (1) great depression away from half those maga chuds turning into wanting to mass murder bankers

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

Wheeee posted:

mass shootings are to liberals what islamic terror is to conservatives in terms of highly visible yet statistically insignificant death tolls leading to simple minded reactionary histrionics and the butchering of civil liberties

freedom of thought and association are real civil rights that people actually need on a day-to-day basis, unregulated gun production and ownership is not

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

were one (1) great depression away from half those maga chuds turning into wanting to mass murder bankers

really? as awesome as that would be, i didn't see that happen last time there was a great depression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Gone Fission posted:

really? as awesome as that would be, i didn't see that happen last time there was a great depression

lmao what

• Locked thread