Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

what can we even attempt to do about this now that a solid chunk of the country has embraced the concept of guns being political power and also gone blindingly insane
https://pando.com/2015/06/26/brief-history-american-gun-nuts/

quote:

The key to understanding why gun-nut politics thrives is that it’s a natural fit with a much more serious and powerful agenda — big business and the wealthiest upper crust. If all you do when you think of guns is think of an instrument that is dangerous, can kill, and is usually seen being waved around by dangerous criminals or pot-bellied white jerks in pickups, then you don’t see the angles. First, you need to disabuse yourself of the silly notion that the very rich and powerful in this country fear an armed citizenry, or an armed rebellion by “the people” — or anyone with guns, period. Government antitrust laws and taxes—that’s what keeps them up at night. Further down the line are labor and other government regulations, depending on the business. But for tech titans especially, the threats are antitrust and taxes—with labor a distant third. Few things are less threatening than the “revolution” threat by citizens clutching their guns and their Bill of Rights, or their Guy Fawkes masks, or their marked up copies of Kropotkin.

So why does the Big Business lobby align so seamlessly with the gun cultists?

Second Amendment cultists truly believe that guns are political power. That guns in fact are the only source of political power. That’s why, despite loving guns, and despite being so right-wing, they betray such a paranoid fear and hatred of armed agents of the government (minus Border Guards, they all tend to love our Border Guards). If you think guns, rather than concentrated wealth, equals political power, then you’d resent government power far more than you’d resent billionaires’ power or corporations’ hyper-concentrated wealth/power, because government will always have more and bigger guns. In fact you’d see pro-gun, anti-government billionaires like the Kochs as your natural political allies in your gun-centric notion of political struggle against the concentrated gun power of government.

How very convenient that works out to be.

are we just going to have to live with this until america collapses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

yeah, these guns!! *flexes biceps*

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

also, guns are political power

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
if the chuds are armed you need to be armed op

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
disarm the police, arm the people

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the unavoidable collapse of america is the reason why you need a gun

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
suns out, mass shootings out

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

guns have an america problem

americans are too stupid and paranoid to own guns

tia

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Lastgirl posted:

this but only poor people and minorities

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF7s8bTpV-Y

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

RIP Mao Zedong

Smart man

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
ground floor

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I've heard rape and harrassment victims argue that they are uniquely in need of guns to protect themselves, and that people arguing for total gun abolition are privileged enough not to need them. I find it difficult to disagree to be honest.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
someone should invent a gun that wont fire unless its pointed directly at a human penis

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
a gun, but it shoots backward

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Rookoo posted:

I've heard rape and harrassment victims argue that they are uniquely in need of guns to protect themselves, and that people arguing for total gun abolition are privileged enough not to need them. I find it difficult to disagree to be honest.

aren’t there nonlethal self defense options that aren’t guns?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
wait, I've solved it

a gun that shoots backwards and forwards

defend yourself... but at what cost

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

logikv9 posted:

a gun, but it shoots backward

i think this would backfire

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

logikv9 posted:

wait, I've solved it

a gun that shoots backwards and forwards

defend yourself... but at what cost

curve the bullet

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i think this would backfire

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Rookoo posted:

I've heard rape and harrassment victims argue that they are uniquely in need of guns to protect themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YIGApUmKog

:smug:

real fax though victims of rape and harassment are way more likely just to be shot to death tho

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the people should only surrender their weapons after the army and police do the same

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

If you want to end the majority of violence, you need to eliminate the conditions that lead to it. Poverty, income inequality, and a feeling of powerlessness lead to violent crime and are also leave people feeling out of control. People will never give up their guns if they feel powerless, and that comes from the same root causes. Eliminate those and you're left with either a society willing to be disarmed or one that doesn't need to be.

Bip Roberts posted:

someone should invent a gun that wont fire unless its pointed directly at a human penis
Like that guy who invented the gun that shoots round bullets at Christians and square bullets at Turks?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

what can we even attempt to do about this now that a solid chunk of the country has embraced the concept of guns being political power and also gone blindingly insane
https://pando.com/2015/06/26/brief-history-american-gun-nuts/

there aren't that many gun nuts, it's just that some of them are really loud and obsessive about it

similarly, their obsession with guns as political power largely dates back to the mid-19th century when the growing political power of abolitionism and the growing strife between free states and slave states meant that the enforcement of white supremacy became even more dependent on vigilante violence and unofficial militia actions than before

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

john brown was right

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lastgirl posted:

Dick Milhous Rock! posted:

john brown was right

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

shut up idiot op

Lastgirl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR_UMkzq0eI

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
take all the guns from everyone and then give the guns to ancoms

blap blap blapp

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the gun problem is not that anyone has any weapons, it's that it's really easy to get a weapon and then kill someone with it and we as a nation have decided it is the Price Of Freedom

also that our culture is incredibly violent

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

the gun problem is not that anyone has any weapons, it's that it's really easy to get a weapon and then kill someone with it and we as a nation have decided it is the Price Of Freedom

also that our culture is incredibly violent

the real gun problem is that their political symbolism has become completely divorced from their practical application

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

guns have an america problem

americans are too stupid and paranoid to own guns

tia

we're also institutionally and historically racist, op

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

the people should only surrender their weapons after the army and police do the same

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

john brown was right

Broadswords?

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
the real gun problem is that decades of federal harassment has so crippled the militant left that poo poo like "Second Amendment cultists truly believe that guns are political power" can get said with a straight face

meanwhile the capitalist class is busy pulling out the last blocks of the jenga tower they're sitting on top of, and the neo-fascists are holding all the guns

i despair of unfucking this situation before the next big crisis. anyone have any actionable suggestions for building the left into something that stands a chance?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

deep web creep posted:

take all the guns from everyone and then give the guns to ancoms

blap blap blapp

Of the ancoms I've met, they're likely to do more damage to their own wrists then the government with guns

Dreddout has issued a correction as of 03:16 on Apr 4, 2018

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

Bip Roberts posted:

Broadswords?

seize the armory, purge racist southerners, die and get a handful of marching tunes in the ensuing war

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
ugns

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

snug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage