Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I don't know about Stadium, but in the original RBY Swift absolutely did have a 1-in-256 chance to miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't know about Stadium, but in the original RBY Swift absolutely did have a 1-in-256 chance to miss.

Nah.

https://www.smogon.com/rb/articles/differences

Scroll down to the part about 1/256 Uncertainty. These folks have decompiled the game, they know what's what.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

tldr it's basically just that a programming error makes the chance that the move you used will hit 1/256th less than it's supposed to be. This is such a small number that it's not noticable outside of the fact that if a move is supposed to be 100% certain to hit, the error makes it only 255/256 certain. Swift isn't affected by this error since it doesn't HAVE accuracy (ie it doesn't have a base accuracy that gets further modified by the user's accuracy and the target's evade), it just hits the target whenever it's used, end of story.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sorites posted:

Nah.

https://www.smogon.com/rb/articles/differences

Scroll down to the part about 1/256 Uncertainty. These folks have decompiled the game, they know what's what.

Interesting stuff. Thanks!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PMush Perfect posted:

And we're up to the third time the first three fights have been cake and Brock facerolls me.

:shepicide:

I never made it past Sabrina in gym leader castle. :(

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Swift's utility in Gen 1 is that since it bypasses the accuracy check you can hit your opponent while they're invulnerable from dig or fly.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

There were a couple times during my Yellow LP I missed a 100% accurate move, it's annoying, but because it's so rare you can't help but be impressed. Don't remember when it happened though.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
If I remember correctly, even the Master Ball isn't immune to the 1/256 chance of failure, since catching Pokemon uses a similar function. It'd really suck if you used your Master Ball and it just failed on you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Swift's utility in Gen 1 is that since it bypasses the accuracy check you can hit your opponent while they're invulnerable from dig or fly.

Or more pertinently since no serious player uses Dig or Fly (e: but I guess the CPU opponents in Stadium probably do?), it bypasses goddamn Minimize/Double Team

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 25, 2018

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Or more pertinently since no serious player uses Dig or Fly (e: but I guess the CPU opponents in Stadium probably do?)

They use it far more frequently than you'd think. And since Earthquake doesn't hit underground opponents it's way more annoying than it should be.

Ephraim225 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 25, 2018

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dig is as strong as Earthquake in Gen 1 and since I don't think the AI is smart enough to switch in an immunity/resistance it's a decent choice for Stadium. Especially if you aren't duplicating tms.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Epicmissingno posted:

If I remember correctly, even the Master Ball isn't immune to the 1/256 chance of failure, since catching Pokemon uses a similar function. It'd really suck if you used your Master Ball and it just failed on you.

Nah it also works all the time, like it has a special part of the formula or something.
You might be thinking of the "You missed!" type message, which was just you totally whiffing the catch rate that badly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

rannum posted:

You might be thinking of the "You missed!" type message, which was just you totally whiffing the catch rate that badly.
Yep! It's a purely cosmetic "critical fail". In later gens, they replaced it with the ball breaking without even a single shake. (I think it was an improvement, it's mechanically the same but it feels a little less frustrating, because your monkeybrain can't turn off the "well what if it HADN'T missed?" reaction.)

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

Yep! It's a purely cosmetic "critical fail". In later gens, they replaced it with the ball breaking without even a single shake. (I think it was an improvement, it's mechanically the same but it feels a little less frustrating, because your monkeybrain can't turn off the "well what if it HADN'T missed?" reaction.)

It should be noted that this "critical fail" inspired the creation of the Brightpowder hold item, retroactively held by the pokemon whose catch rates just do not rise above the "You missed the pokemon" cutoff.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
There were endless rumours around my school that you couldn't catch legendaries ever if they didn't have a status on them, because they were "immune" to pokeballs without one. Because of that "miss!" message.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Are we still posting quotes from the Stadium announcer? The one that I will always remember is the one used for a double KO.

"They're down! They're both down!"

These games were so fun.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

PMush Perfect posted:

The one (sort of) nice thing about it is that once you see the ball connect, you know it's caught right there. As far as I can tell you always get the same failure animation depending on how low the catch rate is in the first game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Another fun little bit of Gen 1 trivia that wouldn't fit into an update: There's a few different ways to deliberately softlock yourself that you would pretty much never do accidentally, but there's two points that someone could feasibly do on accident. If you're a very thorough battler but also an impulse buyer who immediately spends all your money, you can end up being unable to afford either a drink to get into Saffron, or the 500P needed to get into the Safari Zone. In Blue, you can escape this by either catching or battling Meowth with Payday until you have enough, but since it's exclusive to Blue, it's a soft lock in Red or Yellow without a trade.

Both of these were fixed in the remakes as Saffron now requires a key item (to prevent sequence breaking by trading a Pokemon holding a drink), and the Safari Zone guard letting you in if you're broke and beg him enough times. He'll give you full time, but only a single Safari Ball, so you can get the Surf and Strength HMs without exploiting it for infinite free Safari Zone uses.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 25, 2018

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Another fun little bit of Gen 1 trivia that wouldn't fit into an update: There's a few different ways to deliberately softlock yourself that you would pretty much never do accidentally, but there's two points that someone could feasibly do on accident. If you're a very thorough battler but also an impulse buyer who immediately spends all your money, you can end up being unable to afford either a drink to get into Saffron, or the 500P needed to get into the Safari Zone. In Blue, you can escape this by either catching or battling Meowth with Payday until you have enough, but since it's exclusive to Blue, it's a soft lock in Red or Yellow without a trade.

Both of these were fixed in the remakes as Saffron now requires a key item (to prevent sequence breaking by trading a Pokemon holding a drink), and the Safari Zone guard letting you in if you're broke and beg him enough times. He'll give you full time, but only a single Safari Ball, so you can get the Surf and Strength HMs without exploiting it for infinite free Safari Zone uses.

I recently learned that one about from a youtube channel with a series called "pokemon softlock picking" also you apparently can't release pokes with HM moves , they come back and you get a message saying "it was worried about you."

Other highlights from softlock picking

"Rage has to miss 20 times in a row and napkin maths says you'll more likely encounter 12 shinies in a row before that happens."

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 25, 2018

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, there's an announcer thing of "the level disadvantage is obvious" but you'd only get that if you were say using Mewtwo to stomp some poor low level dudes into the floor with the Free Cup thing and who would ever do that?

And whatever the dig one is. "The Pokemon is going underground" is still a phrase that pops into my head every so often to this day so I think it is something like that

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I know I already said the "What's the matter trainer?" thing but my sister and I still use this to ask each other what's wrong sometimes because we started doing that as a joke as kids.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

PMush Perfect posted:

I was made aware of this because of the Twitch Play Pokemon stream, and discussions of how it might end prematurely. The Safari Zone softlock wasn't just a possibility, it was a very likely outcome of the game without something like the eventual Democracy mode that was added. It was kinda impressive watching Democracy take over the game for exactly as long as it took to get through the Safari Zone, then back to normal Anarchy.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yellow is when they introduced the Safari softlock fix.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Crosspeice posted:

Yellow is when they introduced the Safari softlock fix.

I stand corrected!

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

McDragon posted:

Oh, there's an announcer thing of "the level disadvantage is obvious" but you'd only get that if you were say using Mewtwo to stomp some poor low level dudes into the floor with the Free Cup thing and who would ever do that?
That actually happens in Pika Cup if you have a level 20 out against a level 15.

Oh, and as an aside that I keep forgetting to mention: this game has a really great soundtrack. Lots of top-notch remixes of songs from the games, even some unexpected tracks or musical cues. Feel it should be linked in the LP in some capacity if at all possible.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Should be able to do that as soon as I can get videos to record with sound.

...I run into a lot of weird bugs.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

...I run into a lot of weird bugs.

Well, this is Gen 1.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I can't wait for all of the bug puns during and after the next update. The thread will be abuzz with them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I broke, slightly. I'm going to be using Venomoth and Parasect instead of Venonat and Paras.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

God the memories these screenshots have brought back. I can still hear the drat music, even now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:toot:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Nice!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Venomoth is actually decent. Certainly salvaged the run from what might have just ended up being "spam Double Team and pray".

magikid
Nov 4, 2006

SirSystemError posted:

Oh, and as an aside that I keep forgetting to mention: this game has a really great soundtrack. Lots of top-notch remixes of songs from the games, even some unexpected tracks or musical cues. Feel it should be linked in the LP in some capacity if at all possible.

Nothing gets me more hyped for a Pokemon fight than Pika Cup music. 100% serious.

If I could get that to play while I'm doing ordinary life stuff I would probably become awesome at everything.

Edit: Oh, there's multiple Pika Cup tracks. I mean the first one.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I remember getting the N64 that came bundled with this game for Christmas. I must've played it for the next 48 hours straight. Honestly I probably played GB Tower and the minigames more than the actual Stadium eventually. I don't remember if I ever managed to beat Gym Leader Castle.

Favorite announcer quote is "Down before the word go!"

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Kind of a dick move to bundle this with an N64, isn't it?

"Enjoy your new N64, but only if you already bought Pokemon on Game Boy."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

magikid posted:

I was able to beat gym leader castle up until Sabrina with rentals. :v: And of course there's the challenge cup where your team is completely randomly generated for you.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

magikid posted:

There's still the mini-games and a child's confidence you can win with rentals.

(You probably won't, but kids will keep trying.)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I wasnt even aware i wasnt supposed to be able to win with them. I just thought the game was balls hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

magikid posted:

There's the minigames, and the actual stadium modes which can absolutely be completed with rentals. Plus, as a kid, I didn't necessarily need to beat everything to have fun with it. Even if I lost one of the Cups, as long as it wasn't a total stomp I still enjoyed my time with it.

Unrelated "back when I was a child playing this game" story... I remember the first time I won one of the Cups. I was used to the level 50 cup, and being a kid and not reading the full move descriptions I was under the impression that Seismic Toss was like Dragon Rage and Sonicboom and did a set 50 damage. Final pokemon of the final match of the cup, and the enemy has more than 50 HP. I was using Snorlax I believe. Again, I was a stupid child so the idea of using any other physical move to take advantage of high Attack was beyond me. So I went for Seismic Toss as a hail mary. Well this was actually the level 100 cup, and to my complete disbelieve I KO'd the enemy and won. I was sure that the game must have felt how much I wanted to win.