Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Readers who can be bothered may wish to check file names, as they are my :effort: substitute for alt text.

A console game that lets you see your elemental superpets beat the everliving daylights out of each other, Pokémon Stadium is actually the second game in its series. The first, mostly referred to as Pocket Monsters Stadium for clarity, was more of a beta release, a novelty for official tournament events with very few game modes and only 42 of the existing 151 Pokémon usable. Eight months later, it came out of Early Access, and Pokémon Stadium was translated for worldwide release over the next year. This is the game we'll be playing for this LP, and I hope you like useless trivia like that, because that's half of why I'm here! The other half is to try and kill Mewtwo with a Ponyta and a Porygon.

Wait, what?
Hello, my name is PMush Perfect, and this Let's Play is dual-typed! First, it will be an informative 100% play-through of every major game mode, including the Tournaments, the Gym Leader Castle, and, of course, the Mini-Games. But oh boy was Generation 1 broken. Not just in the sense of having glitches (though it had more than a few of those), but also some incredibly lopsided and exploitable mechanics. Using the import feature to bring in teams set to take advantage of that, I could sweep the entire game hardly breaking a sweat, but where's the fun in that?

No, not only will this be an informative LP, it will also be a challenge run. Whenever possible, I will be clearing the game, including the much harder New Game+ called Round 2, using only the deliberately-subpar rental Pokémon the game provides, evening the odds with a combination of knowledge and ridiculous cheese. Don't worry, I'll also be showing off the kinds of bullshit you can get up to if you have a Pokémon Red Save Editor the time and energy to break a twenty-year-old video game over your knee, but the core of this LP will be information, showing off, and suffering, so that I can show off even more. I will also be assuming at least a basic passing knowledge of how Pokémon works; there are enough good mainline entry LPs out there that I don't feel particularly compelled to explain what a Pokéball is.

Is there audience participation?
Yes, kind of. Especially in the early game, the first few castles and tournaments, I will have a lot of flexibility in team composition. As such, I will leave open a vote for each update, allowing the thread to choose one team member (barring a few obvious exceptions such as Magikarp or Kakuna), whom I will use to the best of my ability. As the difficulty ramps, I may be unable to fulfill this promise, but I will try for as long as I am able. (Especially if you guys vote in good Pokémon once I start needing them. Hint hint.)

What's the spoiler policy?
This is going to be a weird one. Talk about later games as much as you want. Anything from how hilariously broken Snorlax was in Gen 2, to the current state of the Gen 4 OU metagame, to your favorite features or minigames we never saw again, to all the shenanigans Bad Eggs let you get up to in Emerald, to a multi-page derail about when the series stopped being good. (Don't actually do that one, I'll cry.) However, I politely request we not discuss any battles or weird quirky Generation 1 mechanics that I haven't brought up yet. You may be able to figure out exactly why I'll be using Ponyta and Porygon to kill Mewtwo, and which one of the two is technically optional, but don't go spoiling the surprise, that's the whole point of the LP.

Format?
Screenshot. There may be a few videos here and there (especially against major bosses, etc.), but the battles are relatively slow, there's quite a lot of them, and the announcer's pool of lines is... limited. It's just better for everyone involved if most battles are communicated in a few screenshots.

Anything else?
Seriously, please don't derail with arguments about how every generation after the last one you played is terrible, or negatively comparing it to Digimon, or Shin Megami Tensei, or RoboPon, or whatever the gently caress else. These are games for children and we're posting on a dead internet comedy forum, have some chill. Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Updates
Route 1: Pika pika!
Route 1.5: It's building energy for the next attack!
Route 2: There's a starman waiting in the sky
Route 3: Rockcrawling
Pokestop 1: Critical Hits

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 1, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Reserved

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also reserved

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Route 1: Pika pika!

Our very own Pokémon legend is about to unfold! A world of dreams and adventures with Pokémon awaits! Let's go! ...but first, we should probably explain our options. This mini-update is going to be a little info-dumpy, feel free to skip ahead a few paragraphs if you just wanna get to the part where I electrocute things.

That spooky place in the top left is the Gym Leader Castle, probably the closest thing Stadium has to a story mode. Below that is the Pokémon Lab, which nobody cares about. And underneath that, in the bottom left, is the Victory Palace, where we will eventually have golden statues of every Pokémon. Bottom center is the Kids Club, which is where the parts of the game I can't bust open with an Alakazam live. Bottom right, Free Battle, not useful for us. Center right is the GB Tower, which lets you play your Pokémon games on the big screen! Except slightly nudging the controller can cause a desync and lose all your progress, if not corrupting the file entirely. Oh, right, and the Super Game Boy exists, and does that for every Game Boy game.

In the middle, conveniently left unmentioned until now, is the Stadium, which is where we'll be going first.

There are four types of tournaments available, each with four ranks. They mostly differ in the allowed levels and Pokémon, but each also has a completely unique set of rental Pokémon, with totally different movepools. A surprising amount of effort was put into it, too.

Pokécup is the most straight-forward. Bring six level 50 Pokémon, choose 3 for each battle, beat the poo poo out of each other. Petit Cup, on the left, is the format known competitively as Little Cup, allowing only Pokémon who can evolve but haven't. But it's got weird restrictions on height and weight, keeping out normal LC staples like Rhyhorn, but also completely arbitrary things like Mankey and Grimer. The level here is 25. Prime Cup is Anything Goes, Level 100. This is where Mewtwo and Mew can come out to play. Shame we can't rent either of them. To the right is the final format and, once again, the one we'll be starting out with, Pika Cup. Ostensibly, Pika Cup is a format somewhat like Petit Cup, with a level cap of 15. Because of some rules with importing that we don't care about, we can rent Pokémon who evolve as late as level 20, but still have them set at 15. Therefore, it is on record that when the AI starts up some real bullshit, we started it.

Which means we can get Pidgeotto, too, and complete the set.

Each tournament has eight round. Win a round without losing any of your three, you get a continue. Win all eight, and you get a trophy. There's also some rules patches involved to head off some strategies too cheap even for Gen 1, but we'll get to that later. Early trainers tend to follow a very simple theme. This guy's theme seems to be "please don't use Psychic moves on me", several of the six Pokémon on his team are Poison-type, and therefore weak to Psychic, while the last two, Paras and Butterfree, have plenty of other very common weaknesses. And all but one of them are weak to fire! Not a good match-up for him.

But since he's the first battle in the LP, he's going to get a much more thorough write-up than he warrants.

Butterfree gets Psywave, which makes him an obvious opener. His other moves are mostly irrelevant, but do bring up an interesting point. Poison Powder isn't purple because it wouldn't work or because of its type, but because it's an illegal move. Moves that a Pokémon shouldn't legally be able to learn are highlighted in pink, a subtle callout for cheaters, but they can still be used. Except Butterfree learns Poison Powder at 15, so the game's not even accurately calling us out for cheating. Using the Pokémon it gave us.

Pokémon!

Psywave, unfortunately, a move that does damage between 1x to 1.5x the user's level, and doesn't check weakness. Except it's bugged, and in a cartridge battle, on the opponent's side it rolls between 0x and 1.5x level damage. Psywave has the dubious honor of being one of several moves banned because it can just straight up break the game by causing a desync.

Also, Poison is super effective against bug in Gen 1. Unfortunately, Poison Sting is still one of the weakest moves in the game. It does 6 damage a hit, and I completely ignore capturing it while I gently caress around trying out if Poison Powder works on Poison types (it doesn't), and testing out how Stadium handles Psywave. It seems to resolve the issue by simply making it 0x to 1.5x, turning it into a slightly worse but potentially clutch Seismic Toss.

I finish Kakuna off with Hyper Beam for shits and giggles, and on the recharge get hit by a Tackle I missed out on capturing because I was too busy typing up this update.

Preserving those continues is important, so Pikachu gets a turn next.

Paralyze is incredibly, unbelievably powerful in Generation 1 for multiple reasons I will get into later. Thunder Wave is the most reliable way to apply that, so if a Pokemon can learn Thunder Wave, it needs a pretty good reason for why it shouldn't.

For now, though, it's just me being smug before I flatten Nidorina with two Thunderbolts and a Quick Attack.

Venonat is weak to fire. My last Pokémon is Charmander.

Pain happens.

Round two is against a Youngster Lad with a somewhat more balanced team. Three are weak to Electric, but the other three resist or are immune. But only one of them resists Fire.

Charmander does his thing. Most moves have a Base Power between 40 and 100, the good ones averaging at about 85 or 90. Fire Blast has 120. And that 120 goes up to an incredible 180 when used by a Fire-type Pokémon (this is called the Same-Type Attack Bonus, STAB for short). That's a lot of hurt.

This absurd strength is supposed to be balanced by Fire Blast having a lower accuracy of 85%, compared to Flamethrower's 95 base power and 100% accuracy, being limited to five uses between Pokemon Center healings, as well as being available only from TM38, a one-use item you get right near the endgame. Unfortunately for this supposed balance, item duplication exists, Fire Blast's average damage is still significantly higher (especially after STAB), and it has a 30% chance to burn compared to Flamethrower's 10%. It might be a thought-provoking trade-off in the mainline games, but in a competitive environment, there's really only one choice.

Squirtle gets STAB on Surf, already a 90 base power attack, and it's super-effective against both Rock and Ground. Geodude gets off a single Tackle then ceases to exist as a concept.

Oh, Squirtle also gets Blizzard. Remember all that stuff I said about Fire Blast? Blizzard is the same, except with 90% accuracy, a 10% chance to completely eliminate any Pokemon no matter how strong, and being Ice, the second-best attacking type in the game. :getin:

So, Pidgeotto? More like Pidgeottowned. :c00lbert:

This time I actually manage to catch the victory screen!

Another perfect, another continue. These early fights are really easy, I might need to get better at truncating them. Oh well, maybe next update.

But before I can get started on that update, it's time for....

:siren: Audience Participation :siren:
It's time to make our first decision about the team, which Pokemon I'll be using for all eight rounds of the Pika Cup! Feel free to discuss options in the thread, but only answers in this poll will be counted. A list of legal Pika Cup rentals (including movesets) can be found here. No idea what kind of response to expect, but I'd like to keep my momentum going over the weekend, so we'll probably be wrapping it up relatively quickly.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 23, 2018

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Looking forward to how this one turns out.

I do like how none of the rentals for the Pika Cup have this one move that ruins the entire Pika Cup. Unless you Metronome it I guess. But I pretty much solo'd the whole thing with a sweeper Starmie anyhow.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Well you got this up fast. Seeing those spinning voltorbs brought back some memories man.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'M ONLY HERE FOR THE MINIGAME UPDATES.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I wasted so many drat hours on this game as a kid, to the point that I almost bought a gameshark just to politely say nuts to the rentals and set up my own teams of actually good critters.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
seeing those models brings back so many good memories of begging my parents to go to walmart so i could play the demo of this they had set-up, i must have spent hours in front of that tv screen

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
A team of nothing but Pikachus. :v:

Wait, poo poo, I need to do that in the poll, not here.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I voted for Clefairy as our rental spotlight because metronome is always GOOD TIMES.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Can Butterfree actually learn hyper beam?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

A team of nothing but Pikachus. :v:

Wait, poo poo, I need to do that in the poll, not here.
Unfortunately, there is a rule called the Species Clause, you can't have two or more Pokemon of the same species.

Silegna posted:

Hyper Beam can be used by a lot of things you'd think wouldn't be able to.

Edit: It was looking pretty conclusive at first, but it's much closer now. I'll give it another few hours until the New LP Smell wears off.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Silegna posted:

Every end of an evolution line can, IIRC.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

PMush Perfect posted:

Hyper Beam can be used by a lot of things you'd think wouldn't be able to.
Isn't it basically every fully evolved Pokemon?

e;fb

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I immediately put down "growlithe" because he is the best pokemon

Jen X fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 23, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Hey, don't diss the Pokemon Lab. You could use the storage feature to transfer your Game Boy Pokemon to a new save file, which was neat and meant you could do stuff like get all three starters with minimal effort. Of course, you can also complete the Gym Leader Castle multiple times if you're some sort of masochist.

Also, yeah, the Game Boy Tower's emulator isn't super great but back in the day it was a really good way to play Pokemon on the big screen especially for those of us who didn't want to buy a Game Boy for one game (sure the Super Game Boy existed, but who was using that thing in 2000? I no longer even had a Super NES at that point), and it even had two speedup options for grinding. I never encountered any issues with the Transfer Pak either.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Isn't it basically every fully evolved Pokemon?

Yes, with a small handful of pokemon that can learn it at all stages. It's been a tradition applied to every generation, alongside gen 4's Giga Impact

The only real exceptions are the gimmick standalones who can't learn other moves regardless.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Curious, will you be covering the unique cups of the Japanese version as well?

Pika Cup was fun. Especially with all the shenanigans you could do with getting strong lowleveled Pokemon for it.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

voted for Poliwhirl because it's Poliwhirl, what other reason does anyone need?

SirSystemError posted:

This, the japanese version rules. My dad gave me a japanese copy of pokemon stadium not sure why he got the japanese version nor where did he find it since imported japanese games were rare back in the early 2000s (at least where i live), despite the language barrier i had fun with the six (iirc) cups and minigames but then my schoolmates were calling me a liar and other mean stuff since the american release only had four cups. I still have that cartdrige, bless the n64 for being region free.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SirSystemError posted:

I hadn't considered that! I might. It'd just involve a lot of looking up attack names.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You can tell how early this was made because Jynx is still Mr. Popo in a dress.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

SirSystemError posted:

Pika Cup was fun. Especially with all the shenanigans you could do with getting strong lowleveled Pokemon for it.

do you mean the japanese version of this specific game or the japanese-exclusive pokemon stadium 1
it only had 42 pokemon :allears:
and pikachu instead of raichu :allears: :allears: :allears:

e: Our Stadium 1 was their Stadium 2 and Stadium 2 was called "Stadium GS", to be clearer

rannum fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 23, 2018

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

play the sandshrew game

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

OgretailFood posted:

I still have that cartdrige, bless the n64 for being region free.

I own a copy of that and Japanese Blue. Don't you have to do something with the console or cartridge to make it fit in the slot?

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

rannum posted:

do you mean the japanese version of this specific game or the japanese-exclusive pokemon stadium 1
Japanese version of this game of course, with the two extra cups: mostly notably Nintendo (Poke) Cup '99. This has most of what J-Stadium 1 has to offer anyway. It'd be worth a glance at best.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think this might start a tradition. This is going to be fun. :unsmigghh:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
BREAK THE GAME OVER YOUR KNEES

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Well in that case, you ought to use the Mew Glitch to get a Level 7 Mewtwo.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Ephraim225 posted:

Well in that case, you ought to use the Mew Glitch to get a Level 7 Mewtwo.

You actually can't use Mewtwo in Pika Cup. However, anything else (besides Mew) you can, so you can say glitch a Zapdos and go crazy with it.

Vinciolo
Aug 27, 2010
Back when I was little, the Pokemon Lab was the only way me and my brother could trade, since we had a single Game Boy - and then when we had two, we never got a link cable.

But the Pokemon Lab in Stadium 2 was the one we used more, because Gen 2. (And then it glitched. Because it's not a Pokemon game without glitches and getting weird Pokemon.)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I still own this game and just looking at that awful splash screen makes me smile.

Make the LP 100% Lickitung Sushi Game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Route 01.5: It's building energy for the next attack!

The masses have spoken! We're going to go into Pika Cup with a team imported from an existing game. Or rather, from several existing games. Specifically, I'm going to make a team that could be constructed with three relatively-normal playthroughs, one in Red, one in Blue, and one in Yellow, trading back and forth freely. No item duplication, no glitches or hacks. Just six Pokemon, ranging from 15 to 20, made to be as powerful as possible while still being legitimate. And it took a bit of work, so to tide you over until the next update, here's the fruits of my labor!

Red and Blue both began with Squirtle and trade for DUX when they can, because Blastoise + Farfetch'd is perfect HM slaving as long as you ignore Flash, and Blastoise flattens most of the game. Yellow just tears through the whole thing with Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise all on the same team. The rest of the games are completed using Pokemon that can be caught infinitely in the wild, making no other NPC trades, using no TMs or limited items, and grabbing no event Pokemon except where necessary. Once the main game is complete, the fun can begin.

Red catches a Nidoran Male, evolves him into a Nidorino at level 16, and then immediately uses the Moon Stone in Mount Moon. Red uses his Earthquake, Thunder, Blizzard, and Body Slam TMs. Member one, a mixed sweeper, is complete.

Yellow catches a Level 15 Chansey in the Safari Zone (eventually!), and uses Softboiled, Toxic, Ice Beam, and Counter TMs. Chansey is, very simply, an unbreakable Special wall.

Blue fishes with a Super Rod at Route 19 for a Level 15 Staryu, buys a Water Stone to evolve it, then uses his Blizzard, Thunderbolt, and Psychic TMs, filling the last slot with a simple Surf. Member three, a special sweeper, is complete.

On Route 6, while surfing, Yellow has a 2.5% chance of encountering a level 15 Golduck. He catches one, then flies to Cinnabar island, and trades it with a man there for a level 15 Rhydon named BUFFY. Yellow uses his TMs for Earthquake, Body Slam, and Rock Slide, and a Substitute TM from the Game Corner. Member four, a physical wall, is complete.

This one's mostly just for showing off. Yellow fishes with a Super Rod on Route 22 for a Level 15 Poliwhirl. He then trades this to Blue. Blue goes to Celadon, and trades that Poliwhirl for a Jynx named LOLA, and trades it back to Yellow. Yellow uses his Blizzard, Reflect, and Psychic TMs. LOLA keeps Lovely Kiss, arguably the best Sleep move in the game since it's not shackled to Parasect's slow rear end. She's now #5, a dedicated lead.

And this is absolutely showing off. Yellow surfs on Route 12, to catch a low-level Slowbro. He trades it to Blue, who goes to the Route 17 gate, and trades that Slowbro for a Lickitung. Blue trades Lickitung back to Yellow, who trades it at Route 11 for a Dugtrio name GURIO. One more time, Yellow trades GURIO back to Blue. Blue uses his Earthquake, Rock Slide, Body Slam, and Hyper Beam for shits and giggles. Dugtrio is a physical sweeper, and the king of critical hits, even without Slash.

Then, all six Pokemon are traded to Red. Two of them are leveled up to 20 to take advantage of maximum level rules, the other four are at 15, and all of them have been hacked and verified legal obtained in a roundabout but completely legitimate manner.

This is gonna be fun. :getin:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 23, 2018

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Oh man, that Jynx and that Dugtrio reminded me of an idea I had long ago, where I would make a team - either for the Poke Cup or the Pika Cup - using only Pokemon from in-game NPC trades. It was actually hilarious what you had to do to get some of them to meet the level restrictions. Maybe I still have the notes somewhere...too late now, though. Oh well, maybe for Round 2.

Ephraim225 fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 23, 2018

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Speaking of that Dugtrio, I was recently reading the Crystal LP in the archives and how it remarked on how "pointless" that Dugtrio trade is. I actually think it was put specifically because of nonsense like this and the Pika Cup (which was also a battle rule you could use in Yellow itself). With in-game trades over various versions you could obtain all sorts of Pokemon within Pika Cup's level, like Dewgong and Parasect.

That said, surprised at no Dragon Ragers on the team. When I think "break the game in half" and "Pika Cup" I think Dragon Rage.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The Pika Cup A Team? More like the fuckin' ay team right there.

Podima posted:

I'M ONLY HERE FOR THE MINIGAME UPDATES.

Same. I might be confusing the the first stadium's minigames with the seconds but I really remember loving the minigames.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I...I had no idea the last three were EVEN legal for the Pika Cup. And here I used Gyarados with Dragon Rage like a typical scrub.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Ephraim225 posted:

I own a copy of that and Japanese Blue. Don't you have to do something with the console or cartridge to make it fit in the slot?
Now i'm not sure about it, my N64 played it without problems so maybe the guy who sold it to my dad modified it? i was a kid back then so i didn't pay much attention to small details

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Looking forward to this; never really got a chance to do any of the Stadium games, though I loved the classic GB/GBC era games.

quote:

Blue fishes with a Super Rod at Route 19 for a Level 15 Staryu, buys a Water Stone to evolve it, then uses his Blizzard, Thunderbolt, and Psychic TMs, filling the last slot with a simple Surf. Member three, a special sweeper, is complete.
Is Recover not very useful in the Cups so you intentionally overwrote it or were you forced to skip it due to the level restriction? Never gotten a Starmie at anything less than the level 30-ish you find them in that water islands cave, so not really sure.