Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

the drought is heartbreaking and tragic, a lot of good people are losing their livelihoods and a lot of animals are suffering, and there's really not a lot that anybody can do about it.

but you cannot intensively ranch cattle in the australian desert. it doesn't work. the beef industry needs a major wake-up call, and unfortunately their demographics (old white men) mean that they absolutely will not listen to anyone about anything as long as there's still some money trickling in. it may take millions of dead cattle, year in year out, to make them realise the mistake that they've made.

it drives me insane when these farmers get interviewed on tv and they're like "NOW I HAVE THREE THOUSAND ACRES AND NO CATTLE AND THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE I CAN DO WITH MY LAND"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MysticalMachineGun posted:

If you asked Labor voters their preferred Liberal leader they'd pick someone else too, you'd have to have your head in the sand for the past ten years to not see what chaos leadership turmoil wreaks on parties you don't like

They do ask.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

:lol: Look out for dark horse leadership candidate, Don't Know

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dutton never ever polls well, it's great.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

avshalemon posted:

the drought is heartbreaking and tragic, a lot of good people are losing their livelihoods and a lot of animals are suffering, and there's really not a lot that anybody can do about it.

but you cannot intensively ranch cattle in the australian desert. it doesn't work. the beef industry needs a major wake-up call, and unfortunately their demographics (old white men) mean that they absolutely will not listen to anyone about anything as long as there's still some money trickling in. it may take millions of dead cattle, year in year out, to make them realise the mistake that they've made.

it drives me insane when these farmers get interviewed on tv and they're like "NOW I HAVE THREE THOUSAND ACRES AND NO CATTLE AND THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE I CAN DO WITH MY LAND"

Well, you used to be able to graze cattle in those environments, but now the climate has changed juuust enough to make it unviable.

My last job involved a lot of talking to farmers and it was amazing how disingenuous they could be.

*Buys out 13 farms and turns it into a megafarm*
"Why are there no services in the country anymore?!"

*Chops down all the trees*
*Voted Nats*
"Why have the rainfall patterns changed?"

froglet fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 2, 2018

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
“Someone else” is actually Homer Simpson leading the vigilante squad

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

:lol: Look out for dark horse leadership candidate, Don't Know

why the gently caress do greens voters want Julie Bishop as leader???? I mean I know why but jfc she's terrifyingly competent and would be just as awful as margaret thatcher was, only even more effective at killing poors.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

The Before Times posted:

why the gently caress do greens voters want Julie Bishop as leader???? I mean I know why but jfc she's terrifyingly competent and would be just as awful as margaret thatcher was, only even more effective at killing poors.

she’s not competent, foreign ministry makes her appear better because it does that for everyone

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Birdstrike posted:

she’s not competent, foreign ministry makes her appear better because it does that for everyone

she was very competent at being a lawyer for James Hardie and letting people die of cancer while waiting for their day in court :allears:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

also she's more competent by default than 90% of lnp MPs.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

bell jar posted:

what happened to "bozo" ?
Calling Beet a bozo is an insult to bozosity everywhere.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

The Before Times posted:

she was very competent at being a lawyer for James Hardie and letting people die of cancer while waiting for their day in court :allears:

ehh the system is basically designed to give people opportunities to stall and delay, there are a lot of incompetent lawyers who can do that

The Before Times posted:

also she's more competent by default than 90% of lnp MPs.

this is true though

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Looks like Husar has been quite badly behaved

quote:

Labor MP Emma Husar bragged about who she was having sex with, sexually harassed an employee, and intentionally exposed herself in front of another politician, according to allegations made by staff to NSW Labor investigators.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/aliceworkman/labor-mp-emma-husar-accused-of-sexual-harassment-and?utm_term=.odJW2dzaA#.wwPrRw9qa

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
She's an unmarried woman in the 2nd highest position in the Federal Liberal party, don't loving underestimate her. It's really easy to forget just how poorly the Libs and by extension, their PR arm (AKA The CPG) works to undermine women who do not conform to the liberal ideal (AKA those who are not housewives with grown up kids willing to die to defend conservative ideals).

To have risen this far and to have stayed there is testament to her shrewdness. No, it doesn't mean she'd be a better or smarter leader than Plibersek or even Shorten. If she was smart, capable of empathy and wanted to lead not rule, she wouldn't be a member of the Liberal party.

Anidav posted:

It really makes you wonder if Shorten is actually unpopular

These results basically put it to bed. We need to loving gut the CPG, they've done so much to ruin political discourse in this country. We don't vote for the PM, the leader is a matter for the party room composed of the people we DO vote for. The media is just DYING to be more like their american counterparts though, so they work to artificially create the narrative that PM = President = same. Which is now reflected in the way the parties actually function, with captains calls and poor consultation becoming the norm, rather than the headline shocker it was even during Abbott's term. That was only 4-5 years ago.

I don't know how to go about it without risking what happened to Conroy, but maybe not having a weirdo authoritarian gently caress drafting and presenting the legislation might help. Maybe having a working group comprised of Labor and Greens MPs so as to prevent a united front against the CPG, at the beginning of a term? They've utterly failed to moderate themselves, and their behaviour is actually driving poor behaviour in Canberra, so it needs to stop.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

It really makes you wonder if Shorten is actually unpopular
Essential have a bunch of older polls about him and the results pretty consistently suggest people don't trust him much on a personal level but that they think he's got the right idea about traditional Labor issues like health and education and workers' rights.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
“It is alleged that you and [redacted] attended Mr Jason Clare’s office at Parliament. Mr Clare was sitting on the floor playing with his son. [Redacted] alleged that he was sitting opposite you and that on three occasions you spread your legs, revealing that you were not wearing any underwear. [Redacted] felt that your conduct was deliberate, proactive and targeted towards Mr Clare.”

:trumppop:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Before Times posted:

Maybe it's partially wanting to see more women in power, maybe they're smart enough to know the Libs will never have a female leader so they just want to gently caress with them

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

“It is alleged that you and [redacted] attended Mr Jason Clare’s office at Parliament. Mr Clare was sitting on the floor playing with his son. [Redacted] alleged that he was sitting opposite you and that on three occasions you spread your legs, revealing that you were not wearing any underwear. [Redacted] felt that your conduct was deliberate, proactive and targeted towards Mr Clare.”

https://twitter.com/SharriMarkson/status/1024831569142272000

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The telegraph just wants more by-elections

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Cartoon posted:

Calling Beet a bozo is an insult to bozosity everywhere.

rude

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Maybe it's partially wanting to see more women in power, maybe they're smart enough to know the Libs will never have a female leader so they just want to gently caress with them

no I think it's the former. I get where they're coming from but I think with Bishop in power the LNP would have a better chance of holding on to power for longer. At least with some other clown as leader there's a better chance of progressive parties getting more votes.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

This "balance" narrative on Husar vs Joyce has gone completely off the rails and I suspect she will have a remunerative libel payout, because she is being systematically taken down and it's rather obvious from that article.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

People see different things in the “preferred leader” poll. I’d wager a fair chunk of the greens for Bishop contingent read the question as “who do you think would be best placed to achieve the LNP’s goals” - to which Bishop is probably the only credible answer at this point.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://youtu.be/XlUQMH19BkQ

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I got a birthday letter from her yesterday. Only uh, 18 days early.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

BBJoey posted:

People see different things in the “preferred leader” poll. I’d wager a fair chunk of the greens for Bishop contingent read the question as “who do you think would be best placed to achieve the LNP’s goals” - to which Bishop is probably the only credible answer at this point.

whereas if i were polled i'd pick the person who would more than likely turn people away from the libs, just to gently caress with them as someone mentioned earlier. however it wouldn't be j bish because she's too competent.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Beetphyxious posted:

whereas if i were polled i'd pick the person who would more than likely turn people away from the libs, just to gently caress with them as someone mentioned earlier. however it wouldn't be j bish because she's too competent.

yep. I'd read the question as 'who would you rather see as the leader of the LNP' and hands down it would be anyone but Julie Bishop.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

ahhah coles backflipped again. free bags end at end of month

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Beetphyxious posted:

ahhah coles backflipped again. free bags end at end of month

Who is running this lmao

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anidav posted:

Who is running this lmao

loving clowns.

cartoon can fill us in

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/1024773066675511296

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Consider yourself owned libs.

quote:

Your choice is now clear. Woolworths charges you for bags to take home what you've kindly bought from them. Coles does not.

Like Judith Sloan, I'd now shop at Coles not just for the convenience, but as a protest against mindless green gestures.

This is your chance to make your voice heard.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andrew-bolt/shop-at-coles-punish-the-green-bullies/news-story/7fef655e6bc1aa17790a8b6b834fcafe

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

Who is running this lmao

I think the more accurate question is going to be "who's running this now". I reckon there's gonna be some dismissals over the PR on this.

BBJoey posted:

As a Greens voter (until Shorten adopts the position of "Guillotine the Rich"), I'd still say Bishop. Objectively speaking, ignoring the dirty tactics and politics, I think she would do less harm to the country than her male counterparts. Now I know in reality that her relative competence and grip on reality could have the opposite effect, with her greater ability to prosecute the Liberal agenda vs her bumbling idiot peers. It could usher in a new era of austerity and neoliberalism...

But the more I think about it, the more I feel like Abbott, Bolt, Murdoch, Stokes, Dutton, Christensen and company have driven the base and the party machine too hard into the ID Pol/extreme right landscape, and I think having a woman as the party head would probably offend too many of the hardcore white male racist shitdogs that keep the party on top. These people are too delusional to admit to themselves that they're not supporting the party because they let a woman be in charge; they'll invent a new internal narrative that the Liberals have "gone to poo poo", for whatever reason - maybe her more moderate approach, willingness to negotiate with the left... It wouldn't take much. Then they'll either vote Ind, Libdem, PHON, or do a series of the kind of mental backflips only CHUDs are capable of, and vote Labor.

Either way, I don't know that Bishop would win an election that Turnbull wouldn't. She'd definitely be more dangerous in power though.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

ewe2 posted:

This "balance" narrative on Husar vs Joyce has gone completely off the rails and I suspect she will have a remunerative libel payout, because she is being systematically taken down and it's rather obvious from that article.

How is this any different from what happened to Barnaby earlier this year, apart from that she's on the team you like more? There were lots of articles and leaks around the WA Nats' investigation of him for sexual assault, and I'm sure that many people who vote Lib/Nat felt that it was a systematic takedown, too.

Is Buzzfeed or any other outlet posting information that they can't back up? How would this be libel?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

White people calling you racist for being against plastic bags :thunk:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

White people calling you racist for being against plastic bags :thunk:

Racist white people don't like being told that they're racist 'Dav

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Conservatives convinced that the Left are full of snowflakes, but it appears that right-wing conservatives are the ones melting down over plastic bags

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Beetphyxious posted:

loving clowns.

cartoon can fill us in
If you stood at the check out in a stupidmarket for an hour you would understand why even a poo poo employer like Coles is unable to make a coherent decision. The customer feedback they're getting is the equivalent of putting poo poo in a blender and leaving the lid off. The customer is a clown and yet the customer is king. Why are you hurting me senpai?

This pointless slap fight brought to you by beet. The person who can't be beet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Recoome posted:

Conservatives convinced that the Left are full of snowflakes, but it appears that right-wing conservatives are the ones melting down over plastic bags

It's the old 'accuse your opponents of your own faults' thing.

• Locked thread